HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest game in NHL history

Old
06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
pappyline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Very unfortunate that the TV copies were not kept.

The goaltending was incredible throughout.The 1960-61 Blackhawks had played the Canadiens tough all season. They were the only team that had the depth and variety at center - Hay, Mikita,Sloan and Litzenberger to match the Canadiens with enough variety and speed on the wings to support the defense. Also the Hawks had a veteran defense that surpassed itself in the playoffs with Evans and St. Laurent having incredible runs especially against Detroit when they realized it may be their last chance to win the cup.
Yep. That was a very deep Hawks team but Litzenberger, Sloan, Evans & St. laurent were soon gone & weren't replaced with the same calibre players so they were never able to repeat their 61 success. They had the superstars afterwards but not the line up depth. Plus Hall had some inconsistent playoff performances in the following years.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:50 PM
JWells16

My game last night where I scored with 1 minute left to tie and then again with 4 seconds left for the win

Seriously though, I'm kinda surprised that this year's Olympics gold medal game hasn't been mentioned. Other than that, the best games that I have seen were 92 finals game 1 and the 08 finals game 5.

That's my incredibly biased viewpoint as a Pens fan though.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Canadiens1958

Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Yep. That was a very deep Hawks team but Litzenberger, Sloan, Evans & St. laurent were soon gone & weren't replaced with the same calibre players so they were never able to repeat their 61 success. They had the superstars afterwards but not the line up depth. Plus Hall had some inconsistent playoff performances in the following years.
The overlooked strength of the 1960-61 Hawks was the flexibility throughout their line-up. Litzenberger, Sloan, Earl Balfour could play multiple forward positions Fleming and Murray Balfour could play defense and forward, while Evans, Arbour and St.Laurent could play left and right defense. Their eventual replacements were one position players.

Also Murray Balfour was a very talented player who left us too soon.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
If we're just talking NHL games I would nominate two that have yet to be mentioned:

1987 - Round 1 - Islanders - Capitals - Game 7 - The Easter Epic, with Pat LaFontaine beating Bob Mason late into the night. Hrudey was brilliant for the Isles.

1989 - Round 1 - Flames - Canucks - Game 7 - The only thing that marred this game is that Joel Otto's game winner late in the first OT should have been disallowed because he kicked it in. If Mike Vernon ever gets into the HHoF, this game will be the biggest reason why. He made at least two gigantic season saving stops in OT, without the Flames are still Cupless as an organization.
What a game, 'Easter Epic', ended just before 2am. Hrudy had 73 saves.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Peter9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
The overlooked strength of the 1960-61 Hawks was the flexibility throughout their line-up. Litzenberger, Sloan, Earl Balfour could play multiple forward positions Fleming and Murray Balfour could play defense and forward, while Evans, Arbour and St.Laurent could play left and right defense. Their eventual replacements were one position players.

Also Murray Balfour was a very talented player who left us too soon.
As I've said to Pappyline once before, what ticked me off was the number of players the Hawks had gotten from the Canadiens, including some as virtual gifts when the Hawks were bottom-dwellers in the 1950s. They were Eddie Litzenberger, Murray Balfour, scorer of the overtime goal in Game 3, Ab McDonald, Dollard St. Laurent and Reggie Fleming. I was in far-off California at the time, and it broke my heart when I learned the score in Game 6. The Canadiens' reign, five years long, was over. If memory serves, Bernie Geoffrion, coming off his incredible 50-goal season, played while injured; he ought not to have been on the ice.

Yes, it was sad we lost Balfour so early.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
vivianmb

being an isles fan i'll add a few that were also great.not the best ever, but great game noetheless.
1993 game 7 vs. pittsburgh.
1982? game 5 against pittsburgh.
the whole 1980 series vs. boston .

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Peter9

The greatest game in NHL history is, according to my definition, the one I enjoyed most. So:

April 6, 1957, Game 1, Stanley Cup final series, Boston Bruins 1 at Montreal Canadiens 5. It was Maurice Richard's first year as captain, and he was determined to lead the Canadiens to a second straight Stanley Cup. Fleming Mackell opened the scoring for the Bruins at 7 minutes of the second period. The 35-year-old Rocket then went wild. Halfway through the game he scored the Canadiens' first and by the end of the period he had three with Bernie Geoffrion adding another. Maurice added his fourth goal late in the third period as the Canadiens won, 5-1. He came close on two more; he hit the post twice. I was 13 at the time, Maurice was my favorite player, he was nearing the end of his magnificent career (although he had yet another superb playoff performance the following season), and, while watching on black and white television with a friend, I, too, went wild, with delight. The Canadiens went on to win the series in five games. So many years ago. I am 66 now, and I still love the Rocket.

Game summary:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19570011

Last edited by Peter9: 06-21-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added link
Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:38 PM
MountainHawk

For me, Game 6 of the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals ... but that's just my fandom speaking. Most fun neutral game I can remember watching was a Caps-Pens 4OT game that had Mario get kicked out of the game after a fight. Nedved with the winner after the Caps were stopped on a penalty shot earlier.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote