HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Arnott to Devils for Matt Halischuk and a 2011 2nd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2010, 09:25 AM
  #101
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think Goc is a good match as a third line center. I prefer him over Smithson or Spaling at this point on the third line.
I agree with you here, Goc is a really good 3rd line center. With the way Trotz likes to play his centers in his system Goc is a good fit.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
  #102
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I agree with you here, Goc is a really good 3rd line center. With the way Trotz likes to play his centers in his system Goc is a good fit.
But if trotz continues to use Legwand in a shutdown role, Goc effectively becomes our second line center. And thats a problem.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
  #103
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I just dont think there is any way we can leave legwand on a shutdown line next year. Goc is a stretch as a third line center much less a second...
This was your original comment. Yes, he is a stretch of a second line center, big stretch but I don't think he's out of place on the third line at all. How he's used by the staff is on them, not on his play.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
  #104
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
But if trotz continues to use Legwand in a shutdown role, Goc effectively becomes our second line center. And thats a problem.
That's why it's either going to be:

1) Trade for a top 6 center

2) O'Reilly as the #2 center, Legwand at 3, Goc 4

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
  #105
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
That's why it's either going to be:

1) Trade for a top 6 center

2) O'Reilly as the #2 center, Legwand at 3, Goc 4
Why not just use Legwand at #2, Goc at #3 and O'Reilly where ever they need him to be?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
  #106
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Why not just use Legwand at #2, Goc at #3 and O'Reilly where ever they need him to be?
Because O'Reilly's skill set is only really good for being is being a set up man for skilled forwards. He is not a 4th line player, nor is he a 3rd line player unless that 3rd line is a scoring line.

This is why I expect the decision is going to be this.

The team has faith in O'Reilly, he stays and the team trades for a goal scoring forward.

Or

the team doesn't have faith in O'Reilly and he's traded for picks and the team picks up a center.

O'Reilly on a 4th line does not work.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:00 AM
  #107
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Because O'Reilly's skill set is only really good for being is being a set up man for skilled forwards. He is not a 4th line player, nor is he a 3rd line player unless that 3rd line is a scoring line.

This is why I expect the decision is going to be this.

The team has faith in O'Reilly, he stays and the team trades for a goal scoring forward.

Or

the team doesn't have faith in O'Reilly and he's traded for picks and the team picks up a center.

O'Reilly on a 4th line does not work.
Why should we have faith in O'Reilly? Sorry but he hasn't given me any faith in him. It might be trotz system though... ala Pevs.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
  #108
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Because O'Reilly's skill set is only really good for being is being a set up man for skilled forwards. He is not a 4th line player, nor is he a 3rd line player unless that 3rd line is a scoring line.

This is why I expect the decision is going to be this.

The team has faith in O'Reilly, he stays and the team trades for a goal scoring forward.

Or

the team doesn't have faith in O'Reilly and he's traded for picks and the team picks up a center.

O'Reilly on a 4th line does not work.
So if we go with this theory for a moment, O'Reilly at #2 and Legwand at #3 as a shutdown center again, do you have faith in Wilson and O'Reilly as our top 2 centers in this system? I like O'Reilly and I'd like to see him succeed but I just haven't seen it out of him yet. Can you also stand another season of people complaining about Legwand and his lack of offense playing with guys like Ward and Smithson again?

I think Legwand proved he can put up points when given talented wingers, Erat/Kariya and this years playoff. What we don't know is if O'Reilly can put up 50-60 points in a season. We also know Goc can handle the 3rd line role and play defensively responsible. He's not Legwand in that respect but he's pretty solid. I would move O'Reilly and some of our prospects/picks to try and land a top 6 forward.

I would like to hold on to Dumont if we add another top 6 because that would give us 7 top 6 forwards so in case you have an injury issue or want certain match ups, we have some versatility.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
  #109
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Why should we have faith in O'Reilly? Sorry but he hasn't given me any faith in him. It might be trotz system though... ala Pevs.
Whenever O'Reilly was put on a top scoring line he produced and he has paid his dues through the minors and being scratched. Granted his sample size isnt that big I remember probably about 10 games where Cal was on a scoring line and the others he really did nothing. To me it seems like he is the type of player we would put on the first line and everyone complains but he works out and we make the playoffs.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:22 AM
  #110
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
I really think we give too much credence into the shutdown centter role. Even if legwand has talented wingers, he can be paired against a teams top line and use his speed to counter attack.

what I worry about now is that we lack a big body (and say what you want about arnott, he used his in some cases) to combat the big centers on teams ala getlaf, thornton

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
  #111
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Wilson - Legwand - O'Reily - Goc
Wilson - O'Reily - Legwand - Goc
Legwand - Wilson - O'Reily - Goc

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:34 PM
  #112
lucscaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: guelph, ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 500
devils/halischuk fan here, where does Halischuk fit in the depth chart? does he get NHL minutes?
with a little bit of muscle he can be a very effective 3rd line energy guy.

lucscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:37 PM
  #113
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucscaps View Post
devils/halischuk fan here, where does Halischuk fit in the depth chart? does he get NHL minutes?
with a little bit of muscle he can be a very effective 3rd line energy guy.
Will either start in the minors this year and be one of the first injury call ups or might be paired with Spaling, who he played on a line with in the OHL, maybe like 4th line duty to start. My guess is he might be a full time guy by the start of next season. We unfortunately have a glut of 3rd/4th line grinder/energy types so for him to break in he's going to have to pass a few guys on the depth chart.

What are his strengths/weaknesses if you don't mind me asking.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
  #114
lucscaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: guelph, ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 500
the goal that he did score was a rocket shot.
he's not afraid to go to the front of the net and with some drive. He's fast and shows a ton of hustle. he's not a hitter, but is very intellegent with his stick. He played on a line with guys who don't know what offense is so that part of his game hasn't shown up in the NHL.

lucscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
  #115
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I really think we give too much credence into the shutdown centter role. Even if legwand has talented wingers, he can be paired against a teams top line and use his speed to counter attack.

what I worry about now is that we lack a big body (and say what you want about arnott, he used his in some cases) to combat the big centers on teams ala getlaf, thornton
Guess Mr. Wilson will get that call against the big boys then - a year sooner than I'd like but at some point we gotta' give them a chance, right? Probably how I feel about Cal, too. I'm ok if we acquire a center and send Cal off in a deal somewhere, but I think he's done everything he's gonna' do at Milw and probably needs to play on a skill line or sent somewhere else to have that chance.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.