HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(from summer 2010) Gagne for Tim Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Bruins attempting to trade Tim Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The reason I don't like the Gagne for Thomas deal is that Gagne is our cap relief contract right now going forward, and Thomas is just too risky, IMO. If it was a 30 y/o goalie it would be another matter.

If you're talking Briere for Thomas... that's another story.
I hear you on the cap relief for Gagne angle but if Gagne has another breakout year which he seems to do every other year after a nagging injury the previous season we may not want to let him go necessarily. Obviously it will depend on the asking price and he may not grant a home team discount. I like Gagne and when healthy both mentally and physically he's a top end player and has Selke skill. He's only 30 as well. It just seems with any of the goalies out there we have a risk factor. I forgot to mention Ellis who would be affordable with upside but he strike me as another Esche type situation. Again I like Vokoun given that he's among the leaders in save percentage every year but it seems Florida may still want to keep him but the endorsement might be for trade leverage purposes. I guess Florida is smarter than Clarkie who had a penchant for getting personal with players in public and knocking down their trade value!

Anyway..here is an interesting article that offers some perspective on Thomas

Quote:
BOSTON -- While there have been several different trade rumors involving the Bruins that have bubbled up over the last couple of days, sources indicated to CSNNE.com that Boston's top trade priority heading into the draft is unloading veteran goalie Tim Thomas and his $5 million salary cap hit.

Thomas lost his starting job to rookie Tuukka Rask last season and is seeking to become a No. 1 goaltender elsewhere. Itís apparent he's willing to waive his no-trade clause in order to do so.

Sources also indicated both the San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning are in the mix in discussions with the Bruins for Thomas, and the Philadelphia Flyers are also a potential suitor if they can shed some salary cap baggage leading up to the July 1 free agent deadline.

"They've got to move the salary," one source with knowledge of the situation told CSNNE.com. "They donít have a whole lot of choice. The challenge is finding a place willing to take him and the salary that goes along with him."

There was some question about whether teams would be scared away by the hip surgery Thomas underwent after the season was over, and there was uncertainty about whether Thomas would be willing to waive the no-trade clause he owns in two of the three remaining years on his deal.

But several sources indicated Thomas' surgery was minor in nature and general manager Peter Chiarelli said last week Thomas would be ready at the start of training camp. A second source indicated the likelihood is that Thomas will waive the no-trade if the right kind of deal comes along after putting up a perfectly serviceable 2.56 goals-against average and .915 save percentage along with five shutouts last season.

"He's a goalie and he wants to play. He's a competitive guy and the most important thing for him at this point in his career is to go to a player where he can play,Ē said a second source. "He's not going to be happy if heís sitting."

http://www.necn.com/06/21/10/Bruins-...03&feedID=4945

Old
06-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Guest123

Boston is at the mercy of other teams. Right now is not the best time for the Flyers to add salary.

The picture will be a lot clearer after the draft.. I could see TBL though. Just no from Philly.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
blah

I could see something like:
To PHI: Smith
To BOS: Boucher
To TB: Thomas

It probably wouldn't be that exact combination, and three-way trades are a rarity in the NHL. But with Boston willing to give up the best player for cap space in return, it seems entirely possible. The team that gets Thomas upgrades in goal without destroying their cap situation by having to pay two starters, and the Flyers upgrade their starter while keeping enough to bring Leighton back.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:22 AM
yettyskill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Boston is at the mercy of other teams. Right now is not the best time for the Flyers to add salary.

The picture will be a lot clearer after the draft.. I could see TBL though. Just no from Philly.
Agreed Boston isn't getting much for Tim Thomas, Halak went for what again?

36 year old 5 million per year Tim Thomas is going for cheap

Old
06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I suggested the other day in the Thomas thread on the trade board the notion of a deal centered around Thomas and Briere. Obviously, there are significant clauses to hurdle, but if each of them were willing I could maybe see something working. I wouldn't be interested without the Bruins adding. Maybe something like a 1st(the 15th overall, or maybe 2011 1st) or a 2nd. They also have some other players I may be interested in...Boychuk(RFA), Sobotka(RFA), Recchi(UFA). So maybe a mid round pick along with the rights to one of them?

Anyone have an idea of how negotiations are going with Boychuk and Sobotka? Are they both expected back? How much do you think each will get? I thought I read that they've been negotiating with Recchi, and he wants something like 1.5-2m, is that correct? Does he want more than one year?

Old
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I suggested the other day in the Thomas thread on the trade board the notion of a deal centered around Thomas and Briere. Obviously, there are significant clauses to hurdle, but if each of them were willing I could maybe see something working. I wouldn't be interested without the Bruins adding. Maybe something like a 1st(the 15th overall, or maybe 2011 1st) or a 2nd. They also have some other players I may be interested in...Boychuk(RFA), Sobotka(RFA), Recchi(UFA). So maybe a mid round pick along with the rights to one of them?

Anyone have an idea of how negotiations are going with Boychuk and Sobotka? Are they both expected back? How much do you think each will get? I thought I read that they've been negotiating with Recchi, and he wants something like 1.5-2m, is that correct? Does he want more than one year?
Briere is really the only option. We still need the flexibility Gagne's expiring contract offers. Briere is very unlikely to waive.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
blah

I don't trade Briere. They're building for a Cup, and Briere continually shows up in the games that matter the most. Goalies are hit or miss propositions.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
I don't trade Briere. They're building for a Cup, and Briere continually shows up in the games that matter the most. Goalies are hit or miss propositions.
I don't think so either, which is why Thomas isn't realistic as an option.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Briere is really the only option. We still need the flexibility Gagne's expiring contract offers. Briere is very unlikely to waive.
Well maybe not..Boston is closer to Buffalo where family and friends are and I guess he still keeps a home there? He wouldn't have to be on the road as much and risk falling asleep! Trading Briere would allow for more leverage than trading Carter. It would definitely help both teams cap wise. I'd hate to lose Briere after his performance in the playoffs but if you can position yourself better with the cap in the out years and in the short term leverage his salary into a couple of players like a goalie and a solid winger then it's a no brainer. Maybe Briere will do himself and the Flyers a favor. Was it me but after the cup loss in his post game interview he kind of talked like he wasn't going to be back...his choice of words was odd..he then quickly corrected himself and said the prospect of playing with Leino and Hartnell would be fun next season...

Old
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Briere's contract is a problem, however. And it will only worsen in the coming years if his body begins to breakdown. Thomas has some of the same risks, but it addresses a need and expires before Briere's.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Briere's contract is a problem, however. And it will only worsen in the coming years if his body begins to breakdown. Thomas has some of the same risks, but it addresses a need and expires before Briere's.
I would move Briere in a Thomas deal but I think it would have to be a 3-way as Boston has zero need for Danny, unless they think he can play wing with one of the 3 better-than-Danny centers they already have.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I would move Briere in a Thomas deal but I think it would have to be a 3-way as Boston has zero need for Danny, unless they think he can play wing with one of the 3 better-than-Danny centers they already have.
Ah, they were TERRIBLE offensively last year. They absolutely have a need for Briere.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:03 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Ah, they were TERRIBLE offensively last year. They absolutely have a need for Briere.
They were...but they only need Briere if they think he can produce playing wing. I hate Briere at center because he stinks defensively and on draws, but his offense seems better there...if they don't think it matters then they could try him at the wing, and then the deal works.

Or if the Horton deal is for Savard as rumored they could use Danny at center...

Old
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
They were...but they only need Briere if they think he can produce playing wing. I hate Briere at center because he stinks defensively and on draws, but his offense seems better there...if they don't think it matters then they could try him at the wing, and then the deal works.

Or if the Horton deal is for Savard as rumored they could use Danny at center...
it's for Wideman and picks, with Campbell.

However, I remain baffled how this meme of Briere not producing on wing has developed. He scored more even strength points this year (mostly on the wing) than he did with us when he scored 72 playing center.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Orange and Black

With Wideman going, maybe Coburn or Carle for Thomas becomes an option. Not that I endorse it.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
it's for Wideman and picks, with Campbell.

However, I remain baffled how this meme of Briere not producing on wing has developed. He scored more even strength points this year (mostly on the wing) than he did with us when he scored 72 playing center.
I think it's because he had a productive postseason as a center...look at all the "trade Carter because he's a lousy playoff player" posts. But you're right...and I admit, before looking, I bought into it too.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:11 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black View Post
With Wideman going, maybe Coburn or Carle for Thomas becomes an option. Not that I endorse it.
I was hoping the BOS/FLA deal meant Vokoun could be available for next to nothing like Horton was.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:

I really hope not, I don't endorse it either.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
kammy

Quote:
wont happen. Tim Thomas is NOT coming here. at 36 years old and 5-mill cap hit, who was just beat out of his starter role by the rookie backup, that's the absolute LAST deal we should do. would be a horrible acquisition. i'd rather see boston bear that cap hit for the duration of his miserable contract!

Old
06-22-2010, 01:36 PM
healthyscratch

Well this is an obvious example for the league to change the next CBA to allow teams to eat some salary of the player being traded. We have a few as well.

Old
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Damn I don't want to trade Gags, at least let him finish out his deal here.
I want gagne here for another 5 year contract. if you gave him 7 you might get the right price. thats my dream anyway, i love the guy. dont care what anyone says I want him here for the rest of his career.

let me restate for the right price that is.

Old
06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
wont happen. Tim Thomas is NOT coming here. at 36 years old and 5-mill cap hit, who was just beat out of his starter role by the rookie backup, that's the absolute LAST deal we should do. would be a horrible acquisition. i'd rather see boston bear that cap hit for the duration of his miserable contract!
All of this might be true, but does HOMER like him?

Old
06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Kaktus*

I am so scared that we will go after Thomas that I am ok with some one like Esche.

You hear me? Bring back Esche (lol) for one year and send him to the minors after 20 NHL games.

Out best bet right now, Turco or Biron or even Mason and move Carle to Van or Edm for a pick or a cheap #5.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Flyersguru

Again, the Flyers have zero interest in Tim Thomas.

Old
06-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
There are pretty consistent rumors about Savard's availability. It would make very little sense for them to trade Savard and then acquire Briere. Of course it's just a rumor, but still.

Closed Thread