HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
He is, but less so than Staal. He is useful on the PP and has good offensive instincts. He's a pretty solid passer. Everyone keeps talking about him as a stay-at-home, but I see him as much more of a hybrid. He's defensively responsible and is always going to put positioning and his own end over making an offensive play, but he's a great skater and has pretty good vision. I personally see him rounding out to a responsible two-way d-man and a pretty good NHLer.
This is about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Coming in I think Staal was looked at as much more of a hybrid than a stay at home defenseman. You never know how a guy is going to develop and what he's going to become...and hell, now that Staal's been in the league awhile he's starting to trust his offensive instincts a lot more.
He lacks those end-to-end rushes that Staal was known for, but along the same lines.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:03 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Coming in I think Staal was looked at as much more of a hybrid than a stay at home defenseman. You never know how a guy is going to develop and what he's going to become...and hell, now that Staal's been in the league awhile he's starting to trust his offensive instincts a lot more.
So than, he's kind of becoming a hybrid? I think McD was drafted as an offensive d-man. He settled into a more defensively responsible role. Staal I've always said will put up his points eventually. People knock him all over these boards (not in the NYR section, but out in the wide world) saying that he's "overrated", "not going to be an elite d-man in this league" or "a #3/4" but the truth is, he's already top-10 in PK and ES time on ice in the entire league and he just put up 27 points with less than 35 seconds of PP time per game and (I believe) no PP points. Give him a little PP time and let him continue to grow into his offensive game and I think Staal becomes an all-star two-way defenseman. He'll always put defense first and take on the other team's stars, but I think he'll be good for ~35-40+ points in his prime.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:07 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
So than, he's kind of becoming a hybrid? I think McD was drafted as an offensive d-man. He settled into a more defensively responsible role. Staal I've always said will put up his points eventually. People knock him all over these boards (not in the NYR section, but out in the wide world) saying that he's "overrated", "not going to be an elite d-man in this league" or "a #3/4" but the truth is, he's already top-10 in PK and ES time on ice in the entire league and he just put up 27 points with less than 35 seconds of PP time per game and (I believe) no PP points. Give him a little PP time and let him continue to grow into his offensive game and I think Staal becomes an all-star two-way defenseman. He'll always put defense first and take on the other team's stars, but I think he'll be good for ~35-40+ points in his prime.
my point is, we won't know what kind of NHL defenseman McDonagh is, at least not what type of d-man he'll be for us his rookie year and then some, until it happens.

I agree with Staal, and I think he's the perfect example and will continue to be the perfect example that not all players instantly go from juniors/college to their full potential without years of development and learning at the pro level.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
my point is, we won't know what kind of NHL defenseman McDonagh is, at least not what type of d-man he'll be for us his rookie year and then some, until it happens.

I agree with Staal, and I think he's the perfect example and will continue to be the perfect example that not all players instantly go from juniors/college to their full potential without years of development and learning at the pro level.
On this team if he really tries to bust out I could see him putting numbers up but I have a feeling that in the 1st year unless they see him grow leaps and bounds by the time the season starts in offensive terms, they might just ask him to keep working on his defense at the NHL level until they are 100 percent hes set then give him a little more space on the leash.

Old
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
NYRSchrute217

McDonagh doesn't necessarily have the edge for the 6th spot, in my opinion. Locks for our D are Del Zotto, Staal, Rozsival, Girardi. Assuming that either Redden takes the 5th spot or we sign a veteran defenseman, that leaves one spot for a kid.

I certainly think that Sanguinetti is further along in his development than McDonagh despite McDonagh having more upside. Sanguinetti has already played in the AHL for 2 full seasons and even played 5 NHL games. Also, Gilroy has the most NHL experience out of the 3 and although he probably has the smallest upside out of them he's probably got the best shot to make the team.

Of course, we may not sign a veteran defenseman and Redden may be sent down, but I don't see McDonagh jumping either Sanguinetti or Gilroy unless he's absolutely amazing in camp, and as we all know that doesn't necessarily translate to NHL success (looking at you, Gilroy).

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

I understand. My point wasn't so much to argue yours but that every hockey player, especially defenseman in my mind (being a defenseman who played college hockey), have a "game" that they're most comfortable and effective playing. When they become the most effective at any given level is when they are finally able to play that game. It may take years, coaches may ask them to adjust to play a role they're less comfortable in, and it may never happen if they don't catch up to the competition level or are constantly asked to fill a role contrary to their strengths, but in most cases, with a player who is a strong NHL talent (meaning they will ultimately have a decent career, not that they'll come in and blow people's minds) and is going to be playing for a while, they eventually will return to the game that suits them best. That's why I think Staal will eventually be considered more or a "shut-down/two-way hybrid" and why I think McDonagh will ultimately be a hybrid as well (not to compare the two - hybrid can mean a lot of different things).

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:17 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
McDonagh doesn't necessarily have the edge for the 6th spot, in my opinion. Locks for our D are Del Zotto, Staal, Rozsival, Girardi. Assuming that either Redden takes the 5th spot or we sign a veteran defenseman, that leaves one spot for a kid.

I certainly think that Sanguinetti is further along in his development than McDonagh despite McDonagh having more upside. Sanguinetti has already played in the AHL for 2 full seasons and even played 5 NHL games. Also, Gilroy has the most NHL experience out of the 3 and although he probably has the smallest upside out of them he's probably got the best shot to make the team.

Of course, we may not sign a veteran defenseman and Redden may be sent down, but I don't see McDonagh jumping either Sanguinetti or Gilroy unless he's absolutely amazing in camp, and as we all know that doesn't necessarily translate to NHL success (looking at you, Gilroy).
Staal - MDZ
McD - Rozsival
Girardi - Gilroy

I can't imagine a draft day where we don't trade one of Rozsival or Girardi... more likely Rozsival, unless our pick of choice falls to us... And regardless I see one of them being traded just to get an extra pick.

Old
06-21-2010, 11:21 PM
ColonialsHockey10

If he's basing it on the prospect camp I have high hopes, the Rangers are going to do everything they can to make him feel at home.

I think he would do fine on the 3rd pair to start the season out. Since he's a defensive defenseman we can afford to bring him up slowly and give him more responsibility. It's not like an offensive defenseman where they constantly need to be given offensive opportunities.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Hockey2000nyr

after reading all three pages of comments up to this point...

ALL of you people need to realize that McDonagh has yet to be at the Rangers Training Facility, Has yet to be to a Rangers game, Hasn't really met anyone in the Rangers offices, unless said person has gone to scout him. He wants to see what the Rangers are all about, the trade was made right at the end of prospect camp so McDonagh couldn't attend the camp. It's just like every prospect who we draft, they get to visit the Rangers during the prospect camp and learn about what the rangers have to offer them so that if they progress the way the Scouts think they possibly can, they can one day possibly be a Ranger. its that simple, yes he has said that he'd like to return to Wisconsin for one more year, but that team was torn apart with players graduating and leaving early for the pros, hes got no chance that hes going back. The rangers are going to flat out tell him that he will be apart of the core that has started around Staal, Del Zotto and Girardi. Especially with the guys we have down in the system, i wouldnt say that we NEED to have more than one veteran like Rozy on defense. if you have Staal going into his 4th season, Girardi into his 4th season, MDZ going into his 2nd season, If the two rookies seem truly NHL ready, you can have two of Sanguinetti, Sauer, McDonagh, Gilroy on the team next year

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:43 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
No but the key player in the deal WAS McDonagh. was it not? You really think Higgins was the main reason why we traded Gomez? Aside from Gomez' salary, Ryan was a reason we moved Gomer.
Worst case scenario is we get a 42nd pick if we don't sign him.

It's not like we get nothing.

And the key player in the Gomez transaction was the cap space. Montreal obviously soured on the kid and I'm sure they knew more about their prospect than we did.

McDonagh was a nice get, but that's a deal you do even if McD was not involved.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Levitate

Well, I think McDonagh was originally hyped as a future #1 defenseman, kind of in the Wade Redden mold of being good defensively and putting up a good amount of points. I could be wrong on that evaluation though.

But I am pretty sure he was hyped as a #1, and when it started becoming clearer that he probably wasn't, I think he fell in the eyes of the Habs organization. Especially with Subban showing up on the scene.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

he's gonna get a max contract

he's gonna hang out with messier leetch graves richter (drury yuck i know)

he's going to hit nyc with one of his best friends in stepan

he's gonna get phone calls from henrik lundqvist and sean avery about how great nyc is

he's going to see the first class facilities at prospect camp and meet the staff which is also the best of the best.

and he's going to sign. if not he's a moron because as a pro hockey player your not going to do much better than signing with the rangers. alot can go wrong for him staying at wisconsin. he could get hurt his team WILL be terrible which will bring his stats and value down and he could be left looking at few options next year as word gets around that the kid is a problem child for not signing (you don't mess with glen we all know that)

he'll sign

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:45 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post

Agreed, though Gilroy will be looked at with a more discerning eye this training camp I think, as his limitations (physicality mostly) are easily hidden in a bit in the pre-season with the weaker competition/diluted teams.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Staal - MDZ
McD - Rozsival
Girardi - Gilroy

I can't imagine a draft day where we don't trade one of Rozsival or Girardi... more likely Rozsival, unless our pick of choice falls to us... And regardless I see one of them being traded just to get an extra pick.
And go into the season with 2 legitimate (young) veterans? Plus MDZ, and then all 3 of McDonagh, Sanguinetti and Gilroy make the team? Unless of course you think Redden is going to stay, the logic in your post makes no sense.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ugh. I keep getting the "sense of entitlement" vibe. I really hope he's not looking for a guaranteed spot or something.

Probably reading too much into it, but I'm not sure what the Rangers would tell him that could "entice" him.

"Win a spot, and stay up with the Rangers. Need some seasoning, spend some time in Hartford."

Where's the wiggle room?
I feel exactly the same way. He keeps floundering and I think he feels like he deserves something. I hope its not true but we'll see.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
BPD

Truth of the matter is this.

When you put a 6 figure contract in front of a college student, they immediately think "Wow, that pays for everything".

That kid is signing. The Wisconsin team has literally been promoted en masse to the pros. My only concern is that he might try to kill Chris Kreider at camp.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
terrrrrible

Redden
Rozsival
Staal
Del Zotto
Girardi
Gilroy
Sanguinetti
McDonagh
Valentenko
Potter?

Did I miss anyone? This is going to be interesting.

Last edited by terrrrrible: 06-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
Redden
Rozsival
Staal
Del Zotto
Girardi
Gilroy
Sanguinetti
McDonagh
Valentenko

Did I miss anyone? This is going to be interesting.
mike sauer who i can't stand is still in play and they feel like he's finally going to compete for a spot.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

The posts about him "meeting" the Rangers organization AND hearing their plans for him seem dead on. He may be wondering if they're willing to go to war with two rookie on d for a second straight yr (seeing as how Sangs has a realistic shot).

Time will tell but my guess is he signs

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
The posts about him "meeting" the Rangers organization AND hearing their plans for him seem dead on. He may be wondering if they're willing to go to war with two rookie on d for a second straight yr (seeing as how Sangs has a realistic shot).

Time will tell but my guess is he signs
I feel like we might go with three, even. Don't discount Valentenko.

Needless to say, Tortorella's bite needs to match it's bark in training camp. There's gonna be some serious competition on that bottom pair.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
eco's bones

Reasons why McDonagh has a very good chance to make the Rangers--he's likely already as strong (on his skates and otherwise) as any of our other defensemen. He skates and handles the puck very well. He's very good positionally.

Valentenko may have a good shot as well but not having played very much for the past two seasons makes him a longer shot IMO than McDonagh.

The Rangers though need this kind of d-man. Strong, physical players.

What they also need to do is get rid of Redden. He's not capable of earning his paycheck or anywhere near it. You get rid of him or bury him because he and his contract hurt the team's chances to make progress. To me he's not McDonagh's competition--Gilroy, Sanguinetti, Sauer, Valentenko are Ryan's competition.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Truth of the matter is this.

When you put a 6 figure contract in front of a college student, they immediately think "Wow, that pays for everything".

That kid is signing. The Wisconsin team has literally been promoted en masse to the pros. My only concern is that he might try to kill Chris Kreider at camp.
This actually could be a legit concern, he was NOT a happy camper after that loss.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
This actually could be a legit concern, he was NOT a happy camper after that loss.
Really? If he comes up college is over for him. It will be a non-issue. Do we think this is gonna be like the beginning of Miracle where the infighting starts b/c of past rivalries?

B/w this and the "entitlement" thing people are running with based on a line in an article with no context, I dont know who's reaching for narrative more.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
RegalRangers

There is sort of a logjam at D going on here.

I think he signs and plays the entire year with Stepan in Hartford. We've got to sort out all the other options at D and I think McD won't be devastated to play with Stepan for a year. He was going to play another year at Wisconsin, I think he can wait one more year to play in the NHL.

Plus, the Rangers are such a classy organization that by the end of next week he'll be thrilled to play out a year in the AHL just for the chance to play for the Rangers next year.

That's how I see things happening. McD can wait a year. There are other guys who need more urgent attention.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Staal - MDZ
McD - Rozsival
Girardi - Gilroy

Del Zotto is a lefty, Girardi is a righty. They're not going to play on opposite sides.

Staal - Girardi
Del Zotto - Rozsival
McDonagh - Gilroy

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote