HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks interested in Andrew Ladd

Old
06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
And the last thing the Canucks need is to deal one of the very few players they actually developed themselves.
Huh?

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond...

5 of our top 6 forwards we developed ourselves...

Not to mention Grabner, Hodgson, Edler, Bieksa, Rypien, and Bolduc who all have a chance to be on the roster next year.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Ernie

This Ladd - Kesler rivalry is a non issue.

Kesler and Kane didn't like each other very much either - until they played on the same line in the Olympics.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
BC Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Does it make sense for us to give Chicago 'the best offer'?

We could end up helping them more than anything. We could be driving the market up for Ladd, only to watch Chicago deal him elsewhere.

Or we could end up having to give up a very decent prospect or pick that could come back to really bite us.

I think it isn't as easy as just putting the best package together, when dealing with rivals, Gillis has to be careful and consider both sides.

I honestly think to pull off a trade with Chicago we will literally have to offer them something they can't refuse, and at that point, does it make sense from our perspective to make that trade?

Do you think ANYONE is ponying up with a great offer for the defending SC Champs?

I think we are looking at the same scenario as with Ehrhoff and the Sharks from last year... Dish off something of minor value and hope that no one else offers anything more attractive.

Chicago already traded Cam Barker for table scraps (IMHO) and I think they are in the same boat with Ladd.

Shirokov + late pick could get it done, and I for one would not be opposed to letting the little Russian go...

BC Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

Kesler and Kane didn't like each other very much either - until they played on the same line in the Olympics.
It could probably be seen as a fantastic thing. You absolutely want guys who teams hate playing against on your team. Kesler and Ladd both fit that description pretty well.

If we could add Ladd and dump Bernier it would be a pretty big upgrade on the 3rd line.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

Or Backes.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Hansen for Ladd?
I don't think Chicago can afford any salary coming back. Even if it was minimum wage(and Hansen will get a bit over that at least).

More likely, Chicago will need to take on either prospects or picks. And I don't think anyone is going to be lining up offering them an amazing deal to help them get a good return for Ladd. Chicago is desperate, and they're in a situation where they absolutely have to sell assets for bargain price or they lose them for nothing.

In light of the Ehrhoff/Lukowich for White/Rahimi deal, I wonder if something in this vein would work:

To VAN:
Andrew Ladd($1.55m/RFA)
Brent Sopel($2.33m, UFA next season)

To CHI:
Taylor Ellington
Sergei Shirokov

We take on some extra salary with Sopel and in return we essentially give up table scraps.

In a dream world, we could target Seabrook...

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
LostMyGlasses*

People are actually expecting Ehrhoff like trades every year?

And people were saying DroptheSopel was panicking, I can't wait to see these people freaking out when they realize that those kinds of trades are rare.

Everyone's looking to screw the 'Hawks. It will depend on who wants him most, and who can afford to give up the most.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
CCF23

Could Sopel really be a Canuck for the 3rd time. That would be pretty hilarious.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Bieksallent

If he could carry over his playoff form, he could be a solid guy to have. Especially when you consider he probably had 5x the amount of shot blocks our entire team had.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Reign Nateo

I think Ladd would be a great fit on this team, and would be all for acquiring him, but I think there are some major stumbling blocks that will insure Ladd goes somewhere else:

- Hawks will want picks or prospects. Gillis hates dealing youth and doesn't have the 2/3rd rounders that will likely be in play for Ladd. Maybe the Hawks are content with 2011 picks? But they aren't going to do us any favors.

- They've beat us twice in a row in the playoffs. They will get weaker and they know it. Doubt they'll be interested in dealing one of the keys to those defeats to a Conference rival. An Eastern team offers a 2nd rounder this year and he's gone. I think it would be very difficult for Gillis to acquire him without overpaying.

- There will be too many teams lined up to add a 24 year old, ideal 3rd liner, with 2 cups. Add in he's a salary dump RFA and the competition will be feirce. Probably 15 teams that would like to add Ladd to their line-up. Probably half of those or more would use him as a 2nd line player.

I'd love it, and the Kesler/Ladd stuff would be water under the bridge within 10 minutes. That's the type of guy I want on my team. Hard to play against and a real thorn in your side. But I think Ladd coming home to BC is just a pipe dream.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't think Chicago can afford any salary coming back. Even if it was minimum wage(and Hansen will get a bit over that at least).
I don't know if that's necessarily the case - I'm not sure what their exact cap situation is but they may have enough room to qualify Hansen but not Ladd (who will be qualified at about $1 million more).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Huh?

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond...

5 of our top 6 forwards we developed ourselves...

Not to mention Grabner, Hodgson, Edler, Bieksa, Rypien, and Bolduc who all have a chance to be on the roster next year.
I'm talking about regular contributors drafted (Burr and Ripper are out) and developed by the team:
Sedinsx2
Kesler
Raymond
Edler
Bieksa
Hansen
That's not a lot. In the salary cap era, "growing your own" is key.

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
CCF23

Quote:
I'm talking about regular contributors drafted (Burr and Ripper are out) and developed by the team:
Sedinsx2
Kesler
Raymond
Edler
Bieksa
Hansen
That's not a lot. In the salary cap era, "growing your own" is key.
Hodgson and Schroeder will be added to that soon enough. Grabner had made it by the end of the year.

Burr might not've been "drafted", but we certianly developed him. Hard to say why you wouldn't include him.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Apu
Ex-pat in Oiler Land

Ladd would not only have to make amends with Kesler, but also the Roosters Pub in Pitt Meadows.

BTW, Hawks are not screwed. They have the talent many teams are drooling for, and with a couple of overpayments (NYR and Toronto in particular), Chicago will soon be back in the Cup hunt.

Apu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Why arbitrarily rule out players that didn't cost the team a draft pick?

Is there another NHL team that drafted and developed these players?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Ladd would be awesome. Pretty much exactly what we need. Then get a solid D and we'll be set.

06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Hodgson and Schroeder will be added to that soon enough. Grabner had made it by the end of the year.

Burr might not've been "drafted", but we certianly developed him. Hard to say why you wouldn't include him.
Hmm, I counted 7 players meeting that criteria on the Blackhawks roster too, I thought they had more homegrown talent than that. My point remains the same: dont' trade Hansen ffs!

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
FruityPants3*

He would be a huge, HUGE upgrade on Bernier. The type of player Bernier should be.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Ben View Post
Chicago already traded Cam Barker for table scraps (IMHO) and I think they are in the same boat with Ladd.
Nick Leddy wasn't exactly table scraps.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Get it done; love this guys game. As mentioned, no salary can go to the Hawks unless we take a contract like Sopel. Pipe dream is somehow putting a package together and grabbing both Ladd and Hjalmarsson, but can't see that happening. Maybe trade for Ladd with the threat of an offer sheet, and then offer sheet Hjalmarsson anyways.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Ben View Post
At the time of the Barker deal I though the Hawks managed to get a good package from Minny. Leddy was a first rounder from the previous draft and Kim Johnsson would have been a nice playoff rental if he'd stayed healthy.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Vajakki

Not the biggest fan of Ladd. Seems like he won't be able to pick up the expectations people had about him and has kind of ended up as a third line grinder with little offense. He was pretty much a non-factor against the Canucks in the playoffs (if you count out the classless cheap shots), though that might be partially because his confidence wasn't very high in a stacked team like Blackhawks. In any case, he's not a very good skater nor puck handler. Seems like the usual "power forward when drafted turns out as a grinder/enforcer/bust" type of scenario. Kind of like Bernier, but at least Bernier still had the potential when Gillis got him.

Ladd would be a small upgrade over Bernier though. But considering you would have to give something in return, I would probably pass and go with Bernier (as much as I dislike him).

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM
lefty2time*

Bernier isnt nasty...but he isnt soft.

Bernier had 105 hits in only 59 games played....his hits are solid too..they are not taylor pyatt hits.. Ladd probably had 105 hits in 82 games!
Ladd is nasty and yeah..i like his game more..he is a ***** to play against im sure...but ppl talk about Bernier like he sucks.
A 3rd line RW throws more hits than anyone on the team and can score 15 goals a year...definitely not a bad player...ppl just expect too much from him. He's look good on the rw with ladd on the lw....need a nice checking line center to complete this line. (hodgson wont make the team )

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Bernier isn't bad... But Ladd while maybe not having as many hits is way more effective at the job he does.

When has Bernier ever done this:

or this:

or this:

or even this:

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
People are actually expecting Ehrhoff like trades every year?

And people were saying DroptheSopel was panicking, I can't wait to see these people freaking out when they realize that those kinds of trades are rare.

Everyone's looking to screw the 'Hawks. It will depend on who wants him most, and who can afford to give up the most.
Didn't mean to offend. No, I'm not expecting Ehrhoff-type deals every year, but I think we have to acknowledge that the trade climate of the NHL has changed. Look at the Halak deal. Yes, Eller is a very good prospect, but the Habs essentially got two unproven commodities for a goaltender that was arguably tops in the league for the 2nd half of the season, and put up an incredible playoff performance.

This is also a situation where Chicago is desperate. We haven't seen(IIRC) a team in this bad of a cap bind before. They need to offload players now or risk losing them for nothing by not extending QOs. Yes, it could drive up the price a bit that other teams will get into the bidding, but regardless, we could see Ladd and players like him go for less than we would anticipate their perceived value to be. IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote