HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

hunter on turgeon hit

View Poll Results: did turgeon provoke the hunter cheapshot
yes. 4 4.35%
no. 88 95.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2010, 01:33 AM
vivianmb

vCash: 500
hunter on turgeon hit

1993 playoffs.
pierre turgeon scores the series clincher, then is blindsided by dale hunter.
you be the judge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-V...layer_embedded

Old
06-22-2010, 01:37 AM
shadow1

No.

/thread

Old
06-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

No. Nothing that really needs to be said other than that.

Old
06-22-2010, 09:17 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Dale Hunter was a piece of garbage.

Old
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
HabsUnited

This cheap shot trumps them all since it wasn't even during the play. God I've always hated Dale Hunter!

Old
06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Don't be stupid.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
bleedgreen

this will be/has been always the worst cheap shot ive ever seen. ive never once heard it proposed turgeon instigated or goaded him into it. its ludicrous. unless of course if you mean by stealing his awful pass up the middle and burying it in the net.

did you seriously start this thread? brought that crap on himself?

ps, read the other thread...my bad. whoever youre arguing with in there either rides the short bus or is in the hunter family.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
eyeball11

I have to admit I'm always a little surprised this hit and McSorley's garner so much attention. Not that they don't deserve attention but because I've seen way worse than these over my 30+ years of watching hockey.

This hit I find more bothersome in the sense that it was post play and just sour grapes. By the same token, I've seen way more brutal hits. I'm amazed you never hear people talk about things like Niedermayer on Worrell. Guy takes a two handed swing at a man's head. Had he not been wearing a helmet that move could have had seriously wicked results.

I dunno...I certainly disapprove but also don't always get the focus. Maybe I've just watched more hockey in more leagues?

Old
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

That's the worst cheap shot of all time in my books and stuff, and it makes Dale Hunter one of my least favourites.

But after Turgeon sat on the bench while some of his teammates got double teamed in the Punch-Up in Piestany, I can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy for him.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I'm always amazed by how far Rich Pilon jumps to get at Hunter in the scrum.

Pretty good for a guy largely regarded as immobile.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

What a joke.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I ****ing hate Dale Hunter. POS. I wish someone would have taken his ass out.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
funny isnt it. i especially like the one post about the short bus.
If you're going to start of poll to prove a point, at least get the poll question right. I have NEVER said "Turgeon provoked..." EDIT(missed detail): The goal on the other hand. Well you can figure that out.

More dense then.......yea, welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited by Chaotic8: 06-22-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
If you're going to start of poll to prove a point, at least get the poll question right. I have NEVER said "Turgeon provoked..."

More dense then.......yea, welcome to my ignore list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
I beg to differ. In your example, Turgeon's provocation was scoring the series winning goal. Hunter's reaction was to take a run at him.
okay then

Old
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
How weird is it to have Witt on the Isles, wearing Hunter's number as a tribute?

Old
06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
How weird is it to have Witt on the Isles, wearing Hunter's number as a tribute?
is that why he wears 32 or did he always just have it?

Old
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
is that why he wears 32 or did he always just have it?
He switched to 32 as a tribute to Hunter. He wore 19 in Washington, 19 is retired for Bryan Trottier on Long Island.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I doubt you'd be talking so tough if Dale was face to face with you

Hunter was a warrior and the ultimate competitor. Turgeon's little celebration after the game was decided (right after he stole the pass from Hunter) was a taunt in Hunter's eyes. To him (and any Caps fan) Turgeon was indeed trying to rub salt in the wound.

I always hated that gutless Turgeon. He was as soft as they came.

Its funny how everyone was up in arms after Ovechkin scored his 50th goal in Tampa and provoked that celebration. They all wanted Tampa players to "do something about it".

Hunter did something about it and paid the price with a huge suspension. Could the Isles have made it past the Habs with a healthy Turgeon?..maybe ..maybe not.

Everyone wants a Dale Hunter on their team. Almost 1000pts, 3000 PIMs, stood up for teamates, intimidated, agitated, scored clutch goals. Too bad he spend his best years on subpar Caps teams.

Turgeon learned a valuable lesson that day. He had some good years after that but was never the same in my eyes. He was mentally weak.

Just my opinion (obviously a bit biased due to my allegiences!)

Old
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
He switched to 32 as a tribute to Hunter. He wore 19 in Washington, 19 is retired for Bryan Trottier on Long Island.
that is messed up.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I still remember Hunter getting chased around by Francois Leroux, then Olaf Kolzig comes out and tackles Leroux to the ice. Of course, then Hunter is ready to fight.

And Turgeon had every right to celebrate, it was big goal, and nowhere near as over the top as the "hot stick" celebration. It was a run of the mill goal celebration.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Hunter was a warrior and the ultimate competitor. Turgeon's little celebration after the game was decided (right after he stole the pass from Hunter) was a taunt in Hunter's eyes. To him (and any Caps fan) Turgeon was indeed trying to rub salt in the wound.

Its funny how everyone was up in arms after Ovechkin scored his 50th goal in Tampa and provoked that celebration. They all wanted Tampa players to "do something about it".

Hunter did something about it and paid the price with a huge suspension. Could the Isles have made it past the Habs with a healthy Turgeon?..maybe ..maybe not.

Everyone wants a Dale Hunter on their team. Almost 1000pts, 3000 PIMs, stood up for teamates, intimidated, agitated, scored clutch goals. Too bad he spend his best years on subpar Caps teams.

Turgeon learned a valuable lesson that day. He had some good years after that but was never the same in my eyes. He was mentally weak.

he crossed the line. and he still had almost 7 minutes left to get him if he wanted. no player should ever get hit celebrating a goal. its not like he was in hunter's face. hunter skated after him.
i understand your allegience, but that was an UNPROVOKED cheapshot if there ever was one.
the only lesson turgeon learned was dont turn your back on dale hunter!! and i agree with you that turgeon was soft. that still doesnt justify what happened.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
he crossed the line. and he still had almost 7 minutes left to get him if he wanted. no player should ever get hit celebrating a goal. its not like he was in hunter's face. hunter skated after him.
i understand your allegience, but that was an UNPROVOKED cheapshot if there ever was one.
the only lesson turgeon learned was dont turn your back on dale hunter!! and i agree with you that turgeon was soft. that still doesnt justify what happened.
Fair point for sure. But its easy for us to sit here and say...it was a highly emotional series and game and there was not many players more emotional than Dale. That is what made him so good. He played thru his heart every shift.

He paid the price b/c that was the longest suspension in NHL history at the time I believe.

Turgeon could have prevented it by not celebrating like that ..especially since he knows he just intercepted the pass from DALE HUNTER! You don't taunt Dale and then turn your back on him...that is just foolish.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:

Turgeon could have prevented it by not celebrating like that ..especially since he knows he just intercepted the pass from DALE HUNTER! You don't taunt Dale and then turn your back on him...that is just foolish.
This is Pierre Turgeon we're talking about here. He's pretty the quintessential soft playmaker. Do you honestly believe he was taunting anyone? He shouldn't have to temper his enthusiasm based on who he stole the puck from. Hunter is the only one to blame.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
This is Pierre Turgeon we're talking about here. He's pretty the quintessential soft playmaker. Do you honestly believe he was taunting anyone? He shouldn't have to temper his enthusiasm based on who he stole the puck from. Hunter is the only one to blame.
this

Old
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

I agree.

Although Dale lost his marbles that day. What was he thinking?

Closed Thread