HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasonable UFA's Montreal should go after on July 1st

Old
06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
alexstream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
= my choice
blank = other options

Fowards

Alex Frolov
Colby Armstrong
Chris Higgins
Eric Nystrom
Matt Lombardi - If Pleks not resigned
Manny Malholta
Adam Burish

Defense

Zbynek Michalek
Kurtis Foster
Paul Martin
Johnny Boychuk
Carlo Colaiacovo

Goalies

Martin Biron
Johan Hedberg
Antero Nittymaki
Jose Theodore

Add or Remove who you think should be there for consideration or should not be.

I think we would like to get players for as cheap as possible but with the taxes and everything in Quebec we will have to slighty overpay, to probably get a Michalek or Frolov on to our team.
I might take Bryan Murray for a dummy (he is), but would he accept a Hamrlik (or spacek) for rights to Volchenkov deal??
I wouldn't mind signing Volch to Hamr contract, even if that means he'd be overpaid.
Volch doesn't want to return to Ottawa, so Murray would have a replacing dman for "free"...

on another note, yes Z. Mich is the best bang for the bucks at D, however, he might turn out to be less bang for more bucks (stellar year, #3 most sought after dman on the market after Volch and Martin)

If we were somehow able to put our hands on Martin, I'd be totally eccstatic. a top 3 of Martin, Markov and Subban rocks. it'd be one of the closest top 3 to Det's Rafalski/Lidstrom/Kronwall (well, there is also pronger/carle/timmo, or keith/seabrook/campbell)

Armstrong would also be good to have. Seeing Byfuglien's effectiveness in the playoffs, we definitely need that kind of big guy in front of the net. And that big guy is NOT Benoit Pouliot.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:05 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
haha, ok. Frolov is a great two way player, explosive blah blah.
Yet he wont be re-signed by a team with a young core and who has the cap space, why is that? Not like he put up numbers for a huge increase.

He was in the dog house all year because of his lack of motivation and effort.
Not to say he isnt a solid player, but why invest 5 mil into a player who has a history of dogging it at times?

The kovalev comparison is in jest. They both happen to be russian, but their on ice performances are similar. Frolov is a better 2 way player, but the comparison begins and end with the fact that both players have been known to disappear for long stretches despite their overwhelming talent.

And that was in LA, he wouldnt last a year in the city with those types of efforts.
Give me a break, it's funny how these types of comments are always OK when referring to Russian players, but not with all the other players of the NHL who do this. When they do it they're "playing with an injury" etc.

How many players in the NHL (offensive ones) are actually consistently offensive?

Maybe 20 forwards?
Maybe 10-20 d-men?

It's not like the every team has a top 6 with 6 80+ point guys each year. They may have one or two guys who put up those numbers guaranteed, maybe three, but few players are consistently good offensively. Even Iginla, some other forwards etc have had a bad year here or there or periods where they were apparently "not giving enough effort" or this and that. The point is we as the fans don't know if a player is playing injured or not always. We just make assumptions and assumptions are just plain stupid. You're just going to assume Frolov doesn't show up because at one point he wasn't consistent offensively?

Well I guess 80% of the offensive players in the NHL are just lasy Russians then, because only a small percentage of them put up ppg type stats on a routine basis. Plek has a bad year too, is he just like Frolov in that he doesn't show up when it counts?

Come on, stop making stupid assumptions about players based on their race. If the player in questions name was Jean-Guy Charon and not Alexander Frolov, I bet the very same people complaining not to sign Frolov, given the same performance and stats would have a chubby for the guy. In Montreal it's either all political or racial. People need to stop hiding behind these dumb stereotypes and start actually looking at players for what they are, not making dumb assumptions about players due to slumps etc.

People just have way too high expectations for the guy. He isn't Mario Lemieux.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Dharvey33

Don't have any links to prove it but i would bet a 100 that Volchenkov is going to sign with the Caps.

IMO i would trade the rights to plekanec to the flames, and then sign Frolov Lombardi and Armstrong if we have the cap space.

Let's say 3.5 mil Frolov 3 mil Lombardi and 1.5 Armstrong, and 8 million well spent.

Lombardi would switch with Eller on the second line and armstrong could switch with pouliot on the Gio Gomez line.

If would try to ship Hamrlik for a 4-5th pick and then land a d like Foster for about 1.5 mil.

Yeah it's just a dream but it would make the first three lines like this.

Frolov-Lombardi/Eller-Cammalleri Thats a great line with grit speed and skills.
Gionta-Gomez-Kostitsyn/Armstrong/Pouliot
Armstrong-Eller-Pouliot

A d like this
Markov- Subban
Spacek-Gill
Gorges-Foster

Dharvey33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Don't have any links to prove it but i would bet a 100 that Volchenkov is going to sign with the Caps.

IMO i would trade the rights to plekanec to the flames, and then sign Frolov Lombardi and Armstrong if we have the cap space.

Let's say 3.5 mil Frolov 3 mil Lombardi and 1.5 Armstrong, and 8 million well spent.

Lombardi would switch with Eller on the second line and armstrong could switch with pouliot on the Gio Gomez line.

If would try to ship Hamrlik for a 4-5th pick and then land a d like Foster for about 1.5 mil.

Yeah it's just a dream but it would make the first three lines like this.

Frolov-Lombardi/Eller-Cammalleri Thats a great line with grit speed and skills.
Gionta-Gomez-Kostitsyn/Armstrong/Pouliot
Armstrong-Eller-Pouliot

A d like this
Markov- Subban
Spacek-Gill
Gorges-Foster
No way in hell you can sign Frolov Armstrong and Lombardi for 8 mil.

Frolov alone will cost 5+ mil, it's a weak market and his last 3 years(prior to 09-10), he averaged 77 GP 30-32-62, and he is only 28.

Armstrong made 2.5 mil this past year, on the UFA market I'd be surprised if he signs for less than 3.5 mil, a team like Toronto will be all over him to upgrade their 2nd line.

Foster is a lot like Bergeron, big shot on the PP but struggles defensively so they played him up front 5 on 5.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
odishabs

Asking kings fans, they dont want frolov gone and say he never played higher than the third line last season and was centred by michal handzus all season.

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
sampollock

try hard for kovochuck

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:14 AM
neofury*

Lets get this kid over here

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah they just assume cause he's Russian he's some 5'4" 130lbs dwarf, or that if he is 6'2" 210lbs he plays like a one. They then assume the player is a defensive liability, soft, non-physical and not a team player.

Funny part is I've watched a few of LA's games and Frolov is nothing like this, don't claim to be the Frolov expert or LA Kings expert or anything, but I've seen him play and yeah, he's a good player who knows how to play two ways, could definitely see an improvement in his production on our team imo because he'd be a 1st liner here with Cammalleri.
I do not know much about Frolov at all the only thing I have really picked up is possibly maybe someone can clarify this for me is that he had issues with the coaching staff maybe an attitude problem? they talked about trading him a bunch this past season I think.

If this is the case that would be enough to make me not interested because if its one thing this team doesnt need is off ice sideshows, there has been way too many these past couple years.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:34 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
I do not know much about Frolov at all the only thing I have really picked up is possibly maybe someone can clarify this for me is that he had issues with the coaching staff maybe an attitude problem? they talked about trading him a bunch this past season I think.

If this is the case that would be enough to make me not interested because if its one thing this team doesnt need is off ice sideshows, there has been way too many these past couple years.
Cammalleri has big troubles with Lombardi and the rest of LA's management team. Hell, even Jack Johnson earlier this year.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
coolasprICE

I want Cooke, Belanger and Moore = Hamrlik's salary more or less

That be a killer line.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Give me a break, it's funny how these types of comments are always OK when referring to Russian players, but not with all the other players of the NHL who do this. When they do it they're "playing with an injury" etc.

How many players in the NHL (offensive ones) are actually consistently offensive?

Maybe 20 forwards?
Maybe 10-20 d-men?

It's not like the every team has a top 6 with 6 80+ point guys each year. They may have one or two guys who put up those numbers guaranteed, maybe three, but few players are consistently good offensively. Even Iginla, some other forwards etc have had a bad year here or there or periods where they were apparently "not giving enough effort" or this and that. The point is we as the fans don't know if a player is playing injured or not always. We just make assumptions and assumptions are just plain stupid. You're just going to assume Frolov doesn't show up because at one point he wasn't consistent offensively?

Well I guess 80% of the offensive players in the NHL are just lasy Russians then, because only a small percentage of them put up ppg type stats on a routine basis. Plek has a bad year too, is he just like Frolov in that he doesn't show up when it counts?

Come on, stop making stupid assumptions about players based on their race. If the player in questions name was Jean-Guy Charon and not Alexander Frolov, I bet the very same people complaining not to sign Frolov, given the same performance and stats would have a chubby for the guy. In Montreal it's either all political or racial. People need to stop hiding behind these dumb stereotypes and start actually looking at players for what they are, not making dumb assumptions about players due to slumps etc.

People just have way too high expectations for the guy. He isn't Mario Lemieux.

What makes you think im basing my opinion on background? Its just facts and money.

Facts are that even if his name was Smith, he was in the doghouse for his lack of passion and commitment to the game. Does that not count for anything, and when did i say something about being injured? Your running on your own tangent there.

Not to mention that the money that he will want as a UFA does not=his value on the team. As we noticed in the last year, management has gone after players who have no quit in them and that have passion for the game. Why pick someone up who has a history of not committing 100%. Im targeting guys like Armstrong, Ladd, Nystrom who have 1/100th of the offensive takent of a Frolov, but i would rather have them because i know what im gonna get from them on a Tuesday in december in Phoenix.

and incase you dont know, commitment, reliability does not equal consistency ala Iginla. No one have even questioned his passion and commitment, but he has gone thru a dry spell. Not to mention that his has a track record to give him a bit of slack; which Frolov dosent.

And like it or not, the russian factor plays a role. As much as you think its racially fueled, or political, players who arent happy with their ice time or situation are feeling for more money in Russia. With all these factors, i dont think a player like this would fit our team no matter how much potential he has.

So we cant criticize European players without being labeled as racists or stereotypical? I judge players on merit and usefulness to the team.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
try hard for kovochuck
Is Jacques Demers your writing teacher?

Old
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Assuming PG can't get Plekanec resigned, an interesting option for a replacement is Olli Jokinen. Its a big risk, but he would be cheaper than Plekanec or Marleau and certainly fills our need for a big center. In addition, he had his 3 best seasons in Florida with Jacques Martin as his head coach. I would think its worth the risk. for a short 1-2 year contract.

And big hello to everyone on the Habs forum as I am new to this site. Please forgive any potential displays of n00bishness

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
Assuming PG can't get Plekanec resigned, an interesting option for a replacement is Olli Jokinen. Its a big risk, but he would be cheaper than Plekanec or Marleau and certainly fills our need for a big center. In addition, he had his 3 best seasons in Florida with Jacques Martin as his head coach. I would think its worth the risk. for a short 1-2 year contract.

And big hello to everyone on the Habs forum as I am new to this site. Please forgive any potential displays of n00bishness
Speaking of displays of n00bishness... The bolded text is a huge one.

Martin had issues with him, he was GM when he got traded to Phoenix. If Plekanec leaves, Matt Lombardi is the most logical replacement.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
No way in hell you can sign Frolov Armstrong and Lombardi for 8 mil.

Frolov alone will cost 5+ mil, it's a weak market and his last 3 years(prior to 09-10), he averaged 77 GP 30-32-62, and he is only 28.

Armstrong made 2.5 mil this past year, on the UFA market I'd be surprised if he signs for less than 3.5 mil, a team like Toronto will be all over him to upgrade their 2nd line.

Foster is a lot like Bergeron, big shot on the PP but struggles defensively so they played him up front 5 on 5.
True but even if you give Frolov 4.5 or 5 mil, Armstrong 3 mil and Lombardi 3.5 mil that gives you 11.5 mill for 3 players.

Montreal with Hamrlik and plekanec gone would have the cap to sign them, and even more if the K bros are traded.

That's just my opinion but those 3 players would fill in great in the habs lineup and give Eller a chance to play on a scoring line sometimes at least.

I would also like the acquisition of Taylor Pyatt ( don't know if he's a UFA) to play with his brother on the 4th line. he played great for Phoenix and he's a big guy who don't hesitate to play physical.

Anyway i wouldn't be surprised if PG signs Frolov, just to get back the chemistry with Cammalleri.

Don't think PG will move a lot but we do need a scoring winger so we never know.

Dharvey33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I want Cooke, Belanger and Moore = Hamrlik's salary more or less

That be a killer line.
Cooke 3 years/5.4M with the Pens today.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Richard Park would be a perfect 3rd line player for us. He's a Martin type of player: smart, good skater, good work ethic, team player. He can be gotten for cheap as well, 1 to 1.5M i'd say.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
We need forwards much more than d-men.

And Higgins brings nothing to the team that we don't already have.

I still say if we let Plekanec go, a pair of Lombardi + Frolov should be considered as our main option... This, or give the world to Kovalchuk. I don't care about his attitude, he's a guy you just can't turn your back to... He's a franchise player, probably the best player to hit UFA status in history.
Completely agreed.
If we lose Pleks, Lombardi is a good alternative option.

I think that we should push hard to get Kovalchuk. Cap ? Trade Kost brothers for a draft, then trade Harmlik + draft to another team to dump the salary. Here we save about $9M.

Kovalchuk with Gomez and Cammalleri will be lethal !

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I would stay away from Jokinen and Frolov, especially Jokinen, everywhere he's been latelt the teams seem to collapse, everybody else that is affordable is fair game

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote