Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Topic Minnesota

Old
06-21-2010, 12:11 AM
KHaosActual

vCash: 500
Off-Topic Minnesota

Hey, I know this is off topic but I was wondering from Minnesota Wild fans if they could give me some information about the state of Minnesota.
I currently live in Kansas, and am looking to move.
And I want to move to Minnesota.
Just was curious of thoughts, of nice towns to live in, the food , availability of rec hockey for the older crowds, and such. Also what colleges could be best for secondary education majors.
Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time

KHaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Well, the cities you'd be looking at would probably depend on what your budget for a house/apartment would be. After living in both downtown and the suburbs, I'd suggest looking for a suburban area. Mainly because the Twin Cities are so close together that a commute from really any suburb is within reason.

Here's a list of larger, booming suburbs in which you could really find anything you're looking for:
Eden Prairie
Maple Grove
Minnetonka
Woodbury
Blaine
Chanhassen
Eagan
Burnsville
Bloomington

Most all of those cities you're really going to have most everything located in that city, or very near by. Schools as well. As for secondary education, the Twin Cities really has a large amount to choose from based on what exactly you're looking for in terms of college. Here's some of the larger schools within the area and most of the the larger suburbs will have a good amount of community colleges or technical schools to choose from. I'd probably recommend targeting a local area to live and then look from there if that's what you'd be interested in.
University of Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Augsburg College (Minneapolis)
Hamline University (St. Paul)
University of St. Thomas (St. Paul)

As for recreational hockey leagues, you should have no issue finding one to play in. You should have many options depending on skill level, age, whatever. Most of us here all play in leagues ourselves.

There's a good mix of different foods in the Twin Cities depending on what you're looking for. If you curious about something, go ahead and ask.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Kari Takko

Great advice from This Providence.

I'd also add, if you're from Kansas, you might want to look for a place to live on the North end of town. Blaine/Coon Rapids/Anoka are a little less congested than the south metro and the west end. Blaine would probably be your best choice out of the 3 as it's a straight shot down University or Central to Minneapolis.

That's not to say it's better, but you may feel more comfortable.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
MK9

If you make the move, just beware the weather.

We get plenty of snow and get stretches of -10 to -20 for a couple weeks of winter. When they use the term bitterly cold, you know why as soon as you feel it. When a nylon jacket sounds like you're wearing a plastic garbage bag because it's so cold? Something is really really wrong with living in those conditions.

Summer is great for the mostpart.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

As a transplant from Iowa...

It's really going to be dictated by where you get a job. For example, if you work in Eagan, you don't want to live in Maple Grove. If you work in St. Paul, you don't want to live in the SW suburbs. If you work in downtown Minneapolis, then the north or northwest suburbs make a lot more sense.

Twin Cities traffic can get bad and you will want to plan accordingly. There are two seasons up here when it comes to traffic. Winter and Road Construction. Each season has negative impacts on traffic.

Example:

That drive should take roughly 30 minutes. You are going from the north suburb of Champlin to the south-western suburb of (essentially) Eden Prairie. However, with all of the road construction and traffic, it can take upwards of 45 minutes to an hour sometimes. If you time it just right, though, it can take easily less than the 30 minutes, going the speed limit. That same drive, in the winter, can take upwards of two hours, especially if it is snowing.

The Metrodome is located in downtown Minneapolis on the eastern edge. Target Center and Target Field are located on the western edge of downtown Minneapolis. The X is located in central downtown St. Paul. The Mall of America is dead center on the southern side, although if you live here for a while, you tend to stop going to the MOA, but there's a novelty to it when you first move up here.

Since this is a hockey board, I assume you will want to jump down to the X a bit. It's a lot easier to get there from east of the river or even south. A few friends have season tickets for both the Wild and the Twins. They live in Burnsville, and work in Bloomington. It doesn't take them very long to get to either venue.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
KHaosActual

Thanks for the information.
I've been considering Blaine, MN. since I have been thinking about moving.
I'm from Manhattan, KS, it's a college town so during the school year we have about 35k-40k here but when summer's in swing it's about 20k so population does get factored in for me. Wouldn't mind the winters I think, the only I hate is ice and thats all we get, ice storms that cover the roads and then it takes forever for the road crews to do anything about it.
Curious, how long do you have to be a resident of MN, to be considered in-state for college?

KHaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

There are plenty of hockey leagues around the Twin Cities, so that's not a problem. Traffic's not too great although it's a godsend in comparison to Washington DC. Thankfully the latter is also a good biking commuting city (but not as good as the Twin Cities) and has great public transit (which the Twin Cities doesn't). What's nice is that the Twin Cities are large enough where there are plenty of things to do but small enough where everything is pretty compact.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

great seasons, terrible drivers.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I'd recommend living in either St. Paul or Minneapolis. St. Paul is less expensive, but Minneapolis is a pretty fun place to live, with a variety of housing options.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
People need to learn how to be aggressive/actually be able to merge.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
People need to learn how to be aggressive/actually be able to merge.
I'm a firm believer that if they can't do that, then they shouldn't drive. We need to start revoking/suspending licenses until people step their game up.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I was shocked to learn that Minnesota state law actually states that the drivers merging into freeway traffic have the right of way.

Wut? You mean, being taught to yield and merge doesn't apply?

You will not see many yield signs getting onto the inter-intra-states up here. It's weird.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I'm a firm believer that if they can't do that, then they shouldn't drive. We need to start revoking/suspending licenses until people step their game up.
I would join that cause.

Old
06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
BigT2002

Depends on where you will be working. I'm still a big fan of Rogers right now if I was looking for "small but close to stuff" type places. Blaine/Coon Rapids never appealed to me....might be b/c I dated a chick there and if she knew I was back home would probably try to kill me

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Lifer

Check out Roseville as well. It feels small enough and it's basically right in the center of the entire metropolitan area. It's close to freeways going both north/south and east/west. Plus, it's very close to the U if yheats where you are considering.

Pretty much everything in the Twin Cities is within 45 minutes of Roseville. I can get to Lake Minnetonka or Cottage Grove in half an hour to 45 minutes barring construction, weather, or traffic.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Here's a list of larger, booming suburbs in which you could really find anything you're looking for:
Eden Prairie
Maple Grove
Minnetonka
Woodbury
Blaine
Chanhassen
Eagan
Burnsville
Bloomington
All of these are okay but I would highly suggest staying away from Maple Grove, costs a lot more to live there and the people that like in MG are usually not too friendly. Alot of smugness up there.

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
All of these are okay but I would highly suggest staying away from Maple Grove, costs a lot more to live there and the people that like in MG are usually not too friendly. Alot of smugness up there.
404 Smugness not found, enlighten me as to comparison with Wayzata or EP por favor. The only thing this city has right now which pisses me off is they are trying to 1-up the bigger gross median cities that lay adjacent to it. Taxes are absurd though I'll give you that...

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Pretty much anywhere you go will have terrible drivers.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I can vouch for Savage...

Old
06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

If you choose the burbs... the South metro is much better than the North metro.

Eagan, Burnsville, Savage, Apple Valley, Rosemount, Lakeville, Farmington, Prior Lake etc.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
My "first things i think of" list Mpls vs. St. Paul

St. Paul's Snow Emergency rules make 1000x more sense than Mpls. (I've been towed in both, several times)

Mpls is generally more urban and has better night life.

St. Paul is greener/ wide open.

Mpls has better restaurants, but if you aren't talking about $50/plate then the two cities are relatively even in quality.

Having lived in Tampa, New Orleans, and Seattle I'd have to say drivers here aren't bad at all...and as totally screwed as commutes can be sometimes the setup of the main roads make it pretty easy (if not always swift) to get from one corner of the Metro area to another.

Dogs are everywhere. More apartments here than I've seen elsewhere allow dogs. Also, the metro is voted #1 or #2 city for cycling by pretty much every publication that holds polls on that sort of thing (if that's of any interest--you want to save money, just ride a bike around and save your gas for longer trips). Surprising considering the snow, but the cities do a reasonably decent job of keeping roads and paths clear.

Surly beer is easy to come by here. That's another plus

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote