HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Really? If he comes up college is over for him. It will be a non-issue. Do we think this is gonna be like the beginning of Miracle where the infighting starts b/c of past rivalries?

B/w this and the "entitlement" thing people are running with based on a line in an article with no context, I dont know who's reaching for narrative more.
I mean I don't think it will be that bad, but McD took the loss pretty bad (Who wouldn't) I'm sure there will be awkwardness, but nothing past that.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
This actually could be a legit concern, he was NOT a happy camper after that loss.
I was TOTALLY kidding, but damn, really?

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Del Zotto is a lefty, Girardi is a righty. They're not going to play on opposite sides.

Staal - Girardi
Del Zotto - Rozsival
McDonagh - Gilroy
therein lies the problem. Do you feel comfortable with Mcdonagh developing at the NHL level with Gilroy as his defense partner? I sure don't.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
therein lies the problem. Do you feel comfortable with Mcdonagh developing at the NHL level with Gilroy as his defense partner? I sure don't.
A stay at home defenseman can't feel secure in his own game, if his partner is coughing up the puck at his own blue line 24/7. Having McD start his NHL career with Gilroy would be a disaster for both players.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Reasons why McDonagh has a very good chance to make the Rangers--he's likely already as strong (on his skates and otherwise) as any of our other defensemen. He skates and handles the puck very well. He's very good positionally.

Valentenko may have a good shot as well but not having played very much for the past two seasons makes him a longer shot IMO than McDonagh.

The Rangers though need this kind of d-man. Strong, physical players.
Thank you... This is what gives him an advantage over Gilroy and Sanguinetti, despite them having more experience.... Rangers will easily defer to a younger prospect who would be more reliable in his own zone and add some much lacking grit/physicality to the blueline.... IMHO Gilroy has a snowball's chance in hell at making the team this year.... He should be moved at the draft....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thank you... This is what gives him an advantage over Gilroy and Sanguinetti, despite them having more experience.... Rangers will easily defer to a younger prospect who would be more reliable in his own zone and add some much lacking grit/physicality to the blueline.... IMHO Gilroy has a snowball's chance in hell at making the team this year.... He should be moved at the draft....
That's a pretty bold statement considering he has only played 1 year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:57 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
What a freaking nightmare that would be.

The way our defense is constructed is flawed. Even if Redden is waived, we would surely need a veteran to replace to him. Hell, I think they may even sign a defenseman if he isn't waived.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:02 AM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Who ever said McDonagh partner was actually going to be Gilroy? Im pretty sure the Rangers know what he is capable of and they are going to develop him with the right pair.

Either way, if thats the case, players need to work their way up. You think Grachev is a lock for 2nd or 1st line in his rookie year? Hell no. He is going to start on the 3rd line and learn the game and system. Nothing wrong with McD pairing with Gilroy to get his feet wet.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:59 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree. When the Rangers sent him down the first time, he came back and played much better defense thanks to J.J. Daigneault. But then as time went on, he seemed to go back to his old habits. I think Daigneault (the way Joe M described it) taught him how to utilize his strengths better. And one of his strengths is certainly not his physical strength (he won't be laying people out or clearing creases).

His greatest assets are his skating and stick work (btw, I know people watch the games and realize what kind of a player Gilroy is. I'm just alluding to something Micheletti was talking about that I thought was interesting with regards to his defensive play) so what he learned in Hartford was to step up at the blue line and force hasty passes which could lead to quick turnovers. At the very least, he's more able to break up the play or force an offside. Either way, the puck carrier has much less time to think about his options. It looked like he was doing a fine job of that at first. But after a while, I think he was falling back towards his goal too much and letting the play come to him as opposed to stepping up.

IMO, he still has a bright future in this league if he could stick to keeping better habits. IDK, maybe Daigneault would be a more effective "A" coach than Schoenfeld.

That's certainly a problem I have with Tortorella. I think he should utilize having 2 assistant coaches behind the bench, rather than 1.
IDK if any other team does that.

But even if Schoenfeld or J.J. aren't dealing with line changes or all of the strategic game plan "drawing board stuff," they can still help out the defensemen if they see something wrong (more individually I suppose) which, can be corrected right away.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:57 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Watch how it plays out.

Old
06-23-2010, 02:04 AM
mrhockey193195

Does anyone else feel like the Rangers should try to move Gilroy to RW, seeing how we have McDonagh, Sanguinetti, and possibly Valentenko all on the doorstep?

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sauer would have made the team then if that was the case. In the preseason he was worlds better than MDZ, Gilroy, or Redden in his own zone.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:05 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Does anyone else feel like the Rangers should try to move Gilroy to RW, seeing how we have McDonagh, Sanguinetti, and possibly Valentenko all on the doorstep?
Bing-O, what I been saying all year, his skating, speed, offensive flair, and fast stick would be great on the wing.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Sauer would have made the team then if that was the case. In the preseason he was worlds better than MDZ, Gilroy, or Redden in his own zone.
He certainly was not "WORLDS BETTER" than MDZ or Gilroy in his own zone. MDZ was solid in his own zone as was Gilroy in the preseason and they both were WORLDS BETTER than Sauer was offensively and with the puck. Redden is another story.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Bing-O, what I been saying all year, his skating, speed, offensive flair, and fast stick would be great on the wing.
I think there are and we even HAVE better options at wing than Matt friggin Gilroy. If he wasn't already on our team, would you want another undersized winger (who's 26?) who doesn't like physical play? I haven't seen much in the way of "playmaking ability" either. He's a puck-rusher, and he didn't even do THAT for the vast majority of the year. And his skating is getting a bit over-rated here. He looked like a world-class skater in a few pre-season games and then pretty much settled into the middle of the pack for the rest of the year. I'm willing to give him another year to find his niche and hopefully get more comfortable playing at the NHL level, but I definitely have my doubts that he's going to have a legit NHL career.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post

No, I think they should move him on draft day and let some other team deal with the ramifications and his $1.85 million salary cap hit.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I mean I don't think it will be that bad, but McD took the loss pretty bad (Who wouldn't) I'm sure there will be awkwardness, but nothing past that.
If he's not gotten over the loss yet, then we have some serious emotional concerns.

Yes it sucks to lose the most important game of your career to that point, but where you are now as a player is now the most important time in your career.

You lost, grow up and get over it cause your NHL career is going to be filled with important losses. Every players is.

He may give Kreider the business in a friendly way, but I doubt that there's any ill will or awkward moments between the two players at all.

I can just imagine being in that lockerroom, in fact if I were the coaching staff, I'd put Stepan and McD's stall's on each side of Kreider.

That would be fun.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It's hockey. It's not the first time McDonagh's team lost a game. BC was the better team. Faster. Quicker. Scores goals in bunches. Stepan,Smith and Goloubef had no issues leaving school for professional hockey. They didn't stay around to avenge the loss in the Frozen Four championship game.

Wisconsin is in shambles. They tried to recruit a player who had committed to Dartmouth. The player had second thoughts about backing out of his Dartmouth commitment. Eaves is back to square 1 in finding a replacement for Stepan.

It's time for McDonagh to turn pro.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Rangers desperately needed a PP QB and a defenseman who can transition the puck well through the neutral zone with solid passing, that's why MDZ made the team.... Sauer couldn't provide that.... It's obvious why Gilroy made the team if you look at the contract he was given... He did not fair well this past season so he's got a very good chance of playing in Hartford come October when you look at the competition there will be at camp for that final D-Spot...

Old
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I think there are and we even HAVE better options at wing than Matt friggin Gilroy. If he wasn't already on our team, would you want another undersized winger (who's 26?) who doesn't like physical play? I haven't seen much in the way of "playmaking ability" either. He's a puck-rusher, and he didn't even do THAT for the vast majority of the year. And his skating is getting a bit over-rated here. He looked like a world-class skater in a few pre-season games and then pretty much settled into the middle of the pack for the rest of the year. I'm willing to give him another year to find his niche and hopefully get more comfortable playing at the NHL level, but I definitely have my doubts that he's going to have a legit NHL career.
Agreed completely... Only part where I differ is I really don't want to see him on our roster this season because I similarly doubt whether he can hack it at this level and be effective....

Old
06-23-2010, 12:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
We have no room for anymore wingers on the top 3 lines.... Nor do I believe he would be effective at forward.... He's not strong along the boards fighting for pucks and his lack of physicality would really hurt his play up front.... I don't think it would be a good idea... If his play as a defenseman doesn't fit into our plans, he needs to be moved or sent to HFD....

Old
06-23-2010, 01:31 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
This kid better sign, if not he better be traded because I don't want to see someone in NY who doesn't want to play for the team. Trade him or take the second rounder if you must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's hockey. It's not the first time McDonagh's team lost a game.
Agreed, didn't McD lose the puck which lead to a scoring goal in the WJCs? If you can't get over stuff, you surely can't be a pro.

Quote:
Everyone does know that McD was a forward and went undrafted, then become a hobey baker winner after converting to defense?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
This kid better sign, if not he better be traded because I don't want to see someone in NY who doesn't want to play for the team. Trade him or take the second rounder if you must.

Agreed, didn't McD lose the puck which lead to a scoring goal in the WJCs? If you can't get over stuff, you surely can't be a pro.

Everyone does know that McD was a forward and went undrafted, then become a hobey baker winner after converting to defense?
Gilroy.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
RichManitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's hockey. It's not the first time McDonagh's team lost a game. BC was the better team. Faster. Quicker. Scores goals in bunches. Stepan,Smith and Goloubef had no issues leaving school for professional hockey. They didn't stay around to avenge the loss in the Frozen Four championship game.

Wisconsin is in shambles. They tried to recruit a player who had committed to Dartmouth. The player had second thoughts about backing out of his Dartmouth commitment. Eaves is back to square 1 in finding a replacement for Stepan.

It's time for McDonagh to turn pro.
Wrong, bucko. He approached Wisconsin & Notre Dame, then changed his mind again and recommitted his "decommit" to Dartmouth; got it? I cannot argue that the team for 2010-2011 is in shambles. A local kid who committed last year backed out today mostly because of the loss of an assistant coach who left to head Ohio State.

RichManitoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
I feel like we might go with three, even. Don't discount Valentenko.

Needless to say, Tortorella's bite needs to match it's bark in training camp. There's gonna be some serious competition on that bottom pair.
Valentenko = Hartford bound.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote