HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horton to the Bruins

Old
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Perrah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
I like Eller but c'mon man, Eller is 6 foot, he isn't that big. I'm excited we got him, but we need a power forward, someone to create space and crash the net...I'm not saying we need 4 of these guys like Boston has, but we need some more size and variety.
You dont have to be a beast to play hard. Look at richards. But when you are like 5'8" you are fighting alot harder battle against a 6'2" guy than a 6 footer would be.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
CN_paladin

Leafs are simply dumb that it's killing us.. Boston will be so scary with the addition of Seguin in a couple of years.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
The club sent forwards Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell to the Boston Bruins for defenceman Dennis Wideman, the 15th overall pick in this year's NHL Entry Draft and a third round pick in 2011.
And Niedermyer is out for retirement.. maybe Hammerlik can replace him?

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
You dont have to be a beast to play hard. Look at richards. But when you are like 5'8" you are fighting alot harder battle against a 6'2" guy than a 6 footer would be.
Sorry, but maybe I'm just not ready to crown Lars Eller the savior and the acquisition of him the reason we make or do not make the playoffs.

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM
scottyG

Quote:
I like Eller but c'mon man, Eller is 6 foot, he isn't that big. I'm excited we got him, but we need a power forward, someone to create space and crash the net...I'm not saying we need 4 of these guys like Boston has, but we need some more size and variety.
Dude Horton is actually pretty soft for a big man. Eller players a harder game...

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Good. Horton is actually extremely overrated, can't wait to see to which extent they gutted their team/future for him.
One can only be remember Cam Neely who came to Boston with a similar reputation as Horton....and then the league took noticed that Neely was an elite.....and so big that you could nto move him....

I sure hope you are right...because if you are wrong...Boston will be very hard to stop......

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 06-22-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Dude Horton is actually pretty soft for a big man. Eller players a harder game...

You're probably right, haven't seen him play, only going off what I hear. But, if we do resign Pleks, Eller will either be the third line center or in the minors. Doesn't look like he will have a massive impact on this team.

My overall points is...that we need to make more moves to improve this team, and not moves like signing/trading for third line/fourth line pluggers.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Big Horton fan, would have loved him here.

This is a pretty even trade I think. Horton is a great player, but giving up #15 is this year's draft is nothing to laugh at.

#15 this year is like a top 7-10 pick in any other draft year.

Wideman fell off a bit this year but he is an excellent d-man who just happened to have a bad year.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
scottyG

Quote:
You're probably right, haven't seen him play, only going off what I hear. But, if we do resign Pleks, Eller will either be the third line center or in the minors. Doesn't look like he will have a massive impact on this team.

My overall points is...that we need to make more moves to improve this team, and not moves like signing/trading for third line/fourth line pluggers.
More move's like what? All I hear is we have to do this or we have to do that, I'd love to hear what you would do? Who would you trade for to get size

Markov for Bobby Ryan?

Our best bet is to sign Ladd/Armstrong

Old
06-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Big Horton fan, would have loved him here.

This is a pretty even trade I think. Horton is a great player, but giving up #15 is this year's draft is nothing to laugh at.

#15 this year is like a top 7-10 pick in any other draft year.

Wideman fell off a bit this year but he is an excellent d-man who just happened to have a bad year.
I was a little shocked at first, but it's a pretty fair trade. 15th overall, it's a pretty deep draft this year and Wideman is a top 4 d-man.

It looks like Florida is looking to build from the back out, they have good goalie prospects and will have a pretty good d.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Scotianhab

Boston got alot better but with Seguin & Wheeler to sign they are going to have to trade some of their forward depth. Chara, Hunwick, Ference, Seidenberg, Stuart, Boychuk is an alright defense but it's not superb. I wonder if Florida needs some offensive depth maybe we could trade Sergei for a late 2nd rounder since they have 3 of them.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
neofury*

To be honest with you what need does Horton address for them? Yet another non-30+ goal scorer. I just don't see why they did this trade, it's not like I think he's a bad fit but does he really address a need that much for them?

I don't know... he's pretty soft for a big player too, not really sure where Boston was going with this.

I would have thought they would go more in the direction of upgrading their defense, maybe add another offensive d who is sound defensively, not Horton...

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest with you what need does Horton address for them? Yet another non-30+ goal scorer. I just don't see why they did this trade, it's not like I think he's a bad fit but does he really address a need that much for them?

I don't know... he's pretty soft for a big player too, not really sure where Boston was going with this.

I would have thought they would go more in the direction of upgrading their defense, maybe add another offensive d who is sound defensively, not Horton...
A winger with scoring ability AND skill...not to mention, he does show the ability to use his big frame, which is always a plus with the Bruins. That's the short answer.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
More move's like what? All I hear is we have to do this or we have to do that, I'd love to hear what you would do? Who would you trade for to get size

Markov for Bobby Ryan?

Our best bet is to sign Ladd/Armstrong
Okay, if you're fine with mediocrity with a once every 15 year run, than that's your choice.

Old
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
Don't worry Hab fans, we'll enjoy this when there is a lazy Horton on the ice when they face our teams.

The news articles during the playoffs should be fun to read: 'Horton is out eating at Tims', 'Horton under-performing'

Then again...who am I to joke, the Leafs aren't even in the playoffs.
Horton is a lot like Wheeler, built like Tarzan and plays like Jane

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
A winger with scoring ability AND skill...not to mention, he does show the ability to use his big frame, which is always a plus with the Bruins. That's the short answer.
Fair enough, I guess I just figured they had other areas they should address and put emphasis on, but any trade that makes you a better team even if it doesn't directly address a need is good. Who knows, maybe he'll net 30+ with Boston anyways.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
mvp76

Don't think I saw it mentioned in here but the Bruins also give a 3rd round pick in 2011..fyi

Panthers sitting nice in the second round also with the 33, 36 and 50th pic accoring to tsn

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Good deal for Boston,I wanted Horton here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

He replaces Kessel as their trigger man with Savard.

That being said it leaves them with work to do on defense, having Boychuk a UFA, Stuart a RFa and Wideman gone.

Old
scottyG

Quote:
Okay, if you're fine with mediocrity with a once every 15 year run, than that's your choice.
How would you improve i'd love to hear?

You talk talk talk yet you're not telling me how you want to improve...

Old
06-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Pretty crazy lineup. but they need to shed some salary. thomas will be traded. Ryder as well. That's 9 million right there.

Watch Burke be stupid and trade Kaberle for Ryder and a 2nd round pick, just to make the bruins that much better.
I find it hard to believe that Ryder gets traded with a cap hit of 4million. I think they were thinking of buying him out. And Thomas is not going to be traded with a cap hit of 5million. Horton is overrated at 4million. I think they overpaid with a 15th pick. They misjudged Ryder's talent now they did it again with Horton.

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Boston got alot better but with Seguin & Wheeler to sign they are going to have to trade some of their forward depth. Chara, Hunwick, Ference, Seidenberg, Stuart, Boychuk is an alright defense but it's not superb. I wonder if Florida needs some offensive depth maybe we could trade Sergei for a late 2nd rounder since they have 3 of them.
Boychuk is a UFA and Stuart a RFA.

I think the reason they moved Horton is the same as we are trying to move SK, not a great work ethic, so I doubt they'd be interested...but hopefully somebody is for a 3rd.

Old
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul21Seeker View Post
Don't think I saw it mentioned in here but the Bruins also give a 3rd round pick in 2011..fyi
with all the picks they have in the next 2 years I don't think they care much, Toronto

Old
06-22-2010, 02:15 PM
MathMan

Horton is good, but deleting Wideman weakens Boston in an area where they aren't necessarily very strong. He was their best puck-moving D-man, I believe, and I'm a strong believer in the absolute necessity of PMDs.

So I'm actually not sure they improved there overall.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
I find it hard to believe that Ryder gets traded with a cap hit of 4million. I think they were thinking of buying him out. And Thomas is not going to be traded with a cap hit of 5million. Horton is overrated at 4million. I think they overpaid with a 15th pick. They misjudged Ryder's talent now they did it again with Horton.
Overrated I guess we gotta wait to see,who is the best player he played with in Florida? Oli Jokinen? He will be really good on Savard'Krejci or Bergeron's wing.I think it's a great move for Boston