HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Finding a taker for Roman Hamrlik, without taking much in salary back?

Old
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why move him? Unless we are looking for a big upgrade on a young puck moving defensemen, there is no reason to downgrade our defense. Our depth on defense was one of the biggest reasons we made it so far.

Why mess with something that is so strong?

Markov-Spacek
Hamrlik-Subban
Gorges-Gill

That is one of the best d corps in the conference.
It was one of the worst, especially before Subban came along. Our defense is brutal. There are three guys in your list that can't skate at the NHL level and have no toughness to compensate for that fact.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Cap space does nothing to improve your team though. At the end of the day, you still have to find teams that are willing to give you upgrades, which contrary to popular opinion, is very hard to do.
and next year we will need Hammer money too when he will be a UFA.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
It was one of the worst, especially before Subban came along. Our defense is brutal. There are three guys in your list that can't skate at the NHL level and have no toughness to compensate for that fact.
The same defense that took out the two top offenses in the league, and blocked 100+ more shots than any other team?

With Markov healthy, and Subban in, we have two great puck movers. It could be better, I personally would like another one, but that is how it goes. Gill and Gorges are a great 3rd shutdown pair, and Spacek and Hammer are both top 4 defensemen.

I think it was pretty obvious this year that our biggest weakness was secondary scoring, not defensive depth.

I just don't think getting rid of Hamrlik just for the sake of opening up cap space is a positive move. His contract comes off the books in one year anyways, whats the point?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
and next year we will need Hammer money too when he will be a UFA.
Why? Just let him walk.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Do you guys think this would be possible? Getting rid of his $5.5 million salary for next season would go a LONG way this summer.

I know he's a solid, veteran defenseman. But still, if we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a prospect for him, I'd personally do it in a second.

Markov-Subban
Spacek-O'Byrne
Gill-Gorges

I'd be alright with that. And there's always a chance we could find a somewhat cheep replacement for Hamrlik on the UFA market. Z. Michalek would be a great addition, but I imagine he will get 4+ on the market.

So, I know some fans probably don't like this idea. But at this point, personally, I'd ship him out for whatever I could get..as long as we're not getting much in salary back.
yeah, I was on Capgeek and definitely came to the conclusion that Hamr has to be a goner if we are to sign ANY reinforcement (i.e. other than Ben Pou, Carey, Moore, etc)
I also came to the conclusion that A.Kost is extremely expandable at that price tag. Imagine, we could have Sharp for 700k more.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Cap space does nothing to improve your team though. At the end of the day, you still have to find teams that are willing to give you upgrades, which contrary to popular opinion, is very hard to do.
cap space gives you the opportunity to sign UFA's or permit the flexibility to aggressively push for a trade without having to worry about unloading unwanted salary (which ultimately puts our GM in a position of strength and not weakness... if we have no cap space, other GM's will exploit this when trying to agree to a deal).

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
If he is that good, why everybody want to get rid of him ? And we all know that he will be very hard to trade. SO, I suppose he is not that good and overpay !
because they have the memory of a gnat.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
How about to Philly for Giroux?

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Why move him? Unless we are looking for a big upgrade on a young puck moving defensemen, there is no reason to downgrade our defense. Our depth on defense was one of the biggest reasons we made it so far.

Why mess with something that is so strong?

Markov-Spacek
Hamrlik-Subban
Gorges-Gill

That is one of the best d corps in the conference.
I agree with this. That's a strong group.

We are going to miss Markov, no doubt. But Ryan O'Byrne is a solid replacement while he's hurt (or while we face any other injury problems throughout the year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Negative Nancy, How short is your memory?

Do you all forget how Hamrlik carried our team for the first half of the season, until Halak turned it on and carried the second half.

we might as well have had 2 players this year.

Roman and Jaroslav.
Agreed. People forget so quickly just how good Hamrlik was until just before the Olympic break. Not to mention his tremendous series against Pittsburgh.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Overpayment for Montreal

Giroux+JVR
vs
Hamrlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
And why not to Washington for Ovechkin ?

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Why? Just let him walk.
That's what I wanted to say, we will need cap space next year no need to spend Hammer money on a UFA this year.

I agree with you there

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:32 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
cap space gives you the opportunity to sign UFA's or permit the flexibility to aggressively push for a trade without having to worry about unloading unwanted salary (which ultimately puts our GM in a position of strength and not weakness... if we have no cap space, other GM's will exploit this when trying to agree to a deal).
I am aware of this, but at the end of the day, a Hamrlik on your team is worth more than the $5.5 you free up. Even if you were to go to the UFA market, the chances of getting a comparable player for the same price are pretty slim when you consider how saturated the buyers are.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Garry Valk

I could see him going to Atlanta or the NYI, someone who needs to make the floor and wants a draft pick.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
That's what I wanted to say, we will need cap space next year no need to spend Hammer money on a UFA this year.

I agree with you there
Ah, okay, now I understand.

I think a lot of people fail to understand that having Hamrlik is an asset in itself. Having a leader that is a capable top 4 defense that can mentor Subban and be able to free up almost 6 million next year is very flexible.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
HockeyF3ind

Trade Hammer and if your still worried about D then add Volechenkov for even 4 million and you've upgraded and saved 1.5

Markov-Volechenkov
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Gorges
O'byrne

Personally I think

Markov-Subban
Spacek-O'byrne/Gorges
Gill - Gorges/O'byrne

looks fine to me, and I'd try to add that cap space to the forwards.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
strutsboa

If we consider buying out Hamrlik we should try to trade him for another overpaid player with lower cap-hit.

A crazy idea and inside the division, but what about Cheechoo? I think Ottawa would do it, especially since they lost Volcenkov, Cheechoo has 1 year at 3.5M. Buy him out would cost us 1.16M * 2 years instead of Hamrliks 1.8M * 2 years. But maybe it is more a favour to Ottawa than us?

Should be other teams with same scenario.

Pandolfo 1 year at 2.5M, Devils possibly in need of a D. Buy out cost = 0.83M * 2 years.

Etc.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Then you trade Andrei for assets and flip those for a upgrade.
You upgrade Andrei and you still need another top-6 forward. The slot they need to fix is Pouliot, not AK. AK, for all the hate he gets from the media, is an okay-enough top-six winger with upside, you're not going to find much better at his price point.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I'd try to get some proposal along the lines of:

Hamrlik
<insert prospect>

<insert D with ~3.5 mil cap hit>

I joked with one of those before for Brad Stuart. Just have to find a more serious one.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
If we consider buying out Hamrlik we should try to trade him for another overpaid player with lower cap-hit.

A crazy idea and inside the division, but what about Cheechoo? I think Ottawa would do it, especially since they lost Volcenkov, Cheechoo has 1 year at 3.5M. Buy him out would cost us 1.16M * 2 years instead of Hamrliks 1.8M * 2 years. But maybe it is more a favour to Ottawa than us?

Pandolfo 1 year at 2.5M, Devils possibly in need of a D. Buy out cost = 0.83M * 2 years.

Etc.
That's the only kind of scenario who can happen

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

Quote:
I am aware of this, but at the end of the day, a Hamrlik on your team is worth more than the $5.5 you free up. Even if you were to go to the UFA market, the chances of getting a comparable player for the same price are pretty slim when you consider how saturated the buyers are.
so you're saying that a UFA D this summer who lets say will sign with a team at 5.5 is going to be "less" of a player than Hamrlik?.......

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
MathMan

Quote:
The same defense that took out the two top offenses in the league, and blocked 100+ more shots than any other team?
One of these was largely goaltending and the other is not a sign of good defense if you're still getting outchanced and outshot 2-to-1. Blocking a lot of shots only means the other team always has the puck in your zone, bombing away. Not a good sign.

But... I don't think that's a personnel issue. But let's not kid ourselves, this has not been a successful group last year, regular season or playoffs.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post

Etc.
Buying Hammer would be stupid. He can be moved at the deadline when his NTC expires. There's no sense extending a cap hit for another year.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
so you're saying that a UFA D this summer who lets say will sign with a team at 5.5 is going to be "less" of a player than Hamrlik?.......
No, you failed to understand. I said the odds of finding one are very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You upgrade Andrei and you still need another top-6 forward. The slot they need to fix is Pouliot, not AK. AK, for all the hate he gets from the media, is an okay-enough top-six winger with upside, you're not going to find much better at his price point.
Pouliot still needs to be given a chance, he is not done yet. An upgrade on Andrei would at least give you another consistent option besides Gio or Cammy.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Buying Hammer would be stupid. He can be moved at the deadline when his NTC expires. There's no sense extending a cap hit for another year.
+1. If you can't move him, just keep him and move his $ next year. It's not like he's a dog, he's a good player, just that his $ are not where Montreal needs them to be.