HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks interested in Andrew Ladd

Old
06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Ladd is a complete *****, which would probably make him a perfect addition.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

vCash: 500
I bet Gillis doesn't land him.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Bernier isnt nasty...but he isnt soft.

Bernier had 105 hits in only 59 games played....his hits are solid too..they are not taylor pyatt hits.. Ladd probably had 105 hits in 82 games!
Ladd is nasty and yeah..i like his game more..he is a ***** to play against im sure...but ppl talk about Bernier like he sucks.
A 3rd line RW throws more hits than anyone on the team and can score 15 goals a year...definitely not a bad player...ppl just expect too much from him. He's look good on the rw with ladd on the lw....need a nice checking line center to complete this line. (hodgson wont make the team )
I don't think of Bernier's hits as very solid. I think of his hits as going through the motions, finishing his check because he's been coached too, almost as if he's on cruise control, not because he is emotionally involved in the game or bringing any level of intensity.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
I bet Gillis doesn't land him.
That's not really going on a limb considering Chicago would prefer to not trade him to the west, much less a playoff team.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Ernie

Aquilini was willing to eat $1.7m (Lukowich) in the minors to get a very good player in Ehrhoff.

Would he be willing to eat $2m (Sopel) for a pretty good player in Ladd?

On the flip side, Sopel can still contribute at the NHL level. He'd be handy to have should the Canucks suffer an injury in the pre-season. And he could be valuable depth for the Canucks in the playoffs.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
rye&ginger

Sopel was apparently playing on busted knees in the playoffs?

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

I'd welcome Sopel back... I guess. He'd be a decent bottom pairing defenseman, appreciate his devotion to the team and the city, and would eat about fifteen minutes a night for us. We'll have to hide the crackers though...

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
We'll have to hide the crackers though...

Unless of course he was picking it up off the floor so he could eat it.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
alternate

I'd love to get Ladd. Could you imagine a bottom 6 of:

Grabner-C-Ladd
Hansen-C-Bernier
Rtpien

Not really a 4th line but certainly shapes up to be 4 lines that can score, and depending on who the c's are, there's some grit there as well.

Proba ly end up losing at least one of those wingers, but still.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post

Unless of course he was picking it up off the floor so he could eat it.
VANCOUVER CANUCKS INJURY REPORT
SOPEL, Brent (D) - 4-6 months (cracker on floor.. again)

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

With the Cap going as much as it did, I see it harder for the Canucks to obtain Ladd.

This is due to the fact that increases the chance they can send him a qualifying offer and thus get more for him. I can see a lesser team (i.e Florida/Carolina) come in with a better offer.

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Lard_Lad

The one big downside I see to Ladd, aside from whatever friction there is with Kesler/O'Brien, is his inconsistency. I remember him going quiet for long stretches in junior; I had no idea why he was considered a good prospect until the fifth or sixth time I saw him and he was suddenly skating through people and unstoppable along the boards. If he showed up like thagt every game and got regular icetime, he'd be one of the best third-liners in the league or even a credible second-liner.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

ladd/kesler/burrows line would be hilarious to play against

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Proto

Bliznak + 2011 2nd.

Hawks would probably go for something like that. They get a cheap inexpensive prospect who might be able to help out on their 4th line for the NHL min (which they'll need) and a pick next season.

I'd sign Ladd to Samuelsson money if he gives a 3/4 year term.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Ben View Post
This line needs a name, regardless if we get Ladd...

Ladd-Kesler-Burrows

Dayum - would anyone want to play against this line?

Wait... Does Ladd have a shoulder issue this offseason?
Strapping Young Ladds

06-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Kid Canuck*

Ladd won't be traded here. Look for him to be dealt to the east. Possibly for a draft pick as bringing back a roster player makes no sense in the salary mess they have. They did win the cup though, so the risk was worth it, something I hope this management can do if we feel we are close enough.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
DreamCatcher*

Why stop with Ladd? Go after Dustin Byfuglien as well.

To Van: Ladd, Byfuglien, Sopel

To Chi: 2011 1st round draft pick, Bliznak, Hansen

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
Ladd won't be traded here. Look for him to be dealt to the east. Possibly for a draft pick as bringing back a roster player makes no sense in the salary mess they have. They did win the cup though, so the risk was worth it, something I hope this management can do if we feel we are close enough.
You're probably right, though I would expect it would have to be a team also willing to take on Sopel's contract (no amount of sweetener will move Huet's anchor of a deal). Not a ton of options among teams looking to add. Leafs perhaps?

FWIW, at least Gillis seems to be targeting the right player (in my opinion).

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
You're probably right, though I would expect it would have to be a team also willing to take on Sopel's contract (no amount of sweetener will move Huet's anchor of a deal). Not a ton of options among teams looking to add. Leafs perhaps?

FWIW, at least Gillis seems to be targeting the right player (in my opinion).
Well in all fairness it's a moving target. They are going over every possible scenario of what could happen and when players resign with their teams or get traded and sign somewhere else they go to the next person on the list they have come up with. Of course this goes without saying. As for possible targets, we have no idea and either does Bob McKenzie or anyone else outside of our management, unless of course they want certain things leaked to see what kind of interest etc they can stir up. Ladd is not going to be traded here so why not let it get leaked you may have interest, why would a team like Chicago deal a player to a big rival team and also be sending this player to his home province, just doesn't add up, so divert the attention to this player so another team will pay a higher price and a possible bid off leaving the real target a bit more attainable.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
Well in all fairness it's a moving target. They are going over every possible scenario of what could happen and when players resign with their teams or get traded and sign somewhere else they go to the next person on the list they have come up with. Of course this goes without saying. As for possible targets, we have no idea and either does Bob McKenzie or anyone else outside of our management, unless of course they want certain things leaked to see what kind of interest etc they can stir up. Ladd is not going to be traded here so why not let it get leaked you may have interest, why would a team like Chicago deal a player to a big rival team and also be sending this player to his home province, just doesn't add up, so divert the attention to this player so another team will pay a higher price and a possible bid off leaving the real target a bit more attainable.
I suspect you're over-thinking the process. I doubt this is a case of trying to use the media to drive up value/spread misinformation. It's probably just Chicago fielding offers, Vancouver (among others) expressing genuine interest and Bowman collecting and evaluating. Also, I get the impression that the source is in Chicago, not Vancouver based on the way the information has been presented.

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Why stop with Ladd? Go after Dustin Byfuglien as well.

To Van: Ladd, Byfuglien, Sopel

To Chi: 2011 1st round draft pick, Bliznak, Hansen
Byfuglien makes no sense in Vancouver.... they don't have the cap flexibility overall to take on his $3mill cap hit for the 3rd line. Ladd makes sense at a lower price than that, but the Canucks aren't exactly sitting near the cap floor where they can add the $7mill or so it would take for all 3 of them.

as far as this rumour goes, I also don't really see it happening. While Chicago is in a tight situation, Ladd isn't exactly a throw-away player that no other team will want... I can't imagine them not getting decent offers for him from multiple teams - and in that case, you can bet that Vancouver would be near the bottom of the list of teams that Chicago would deal with.

Also, aren't teams allowed to go over the cap by a certain amount in the offseason? Can't they still qualify him at $1.4mill? or are they worried that if they do it would just lead to an offer sheet were they would be forced to take a 2nd and are looking for more? or are they worried that Ladd will take them to arbitration and be forced to walk away?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
\Also, aren't teams allowed to go over the cap by a certain amount in the offseason? Can't they still qualify him at $1.4mill? or are they worried that if they do it would just lead to an offer sheet were they would be forced to take a 2nd and are looking for more? or are they worried that Ladd will take them to arbitration and be forced to walk away?
You should look at their cap situation again. They really don't have any room for him, even considering the cushion (I think it's around 10%... ?).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Placebo Effect

The cushion is 10% so about 5.9 million

CapGeek has cap temporarily 59 million so 5.9 million cushion. Hawks have 1.4 million in cap space. How much is Toews/Kane bonuses again? 5 million? so that's 3.6 million over the cap, 2.3 million left.

To qualify Ladd is 1.6 million, Hjalmarsson is ~707,000 and Niemi is $828,218. To qualify all three is 3.1 million. Their priority is obviously Niemi and Hjalmarsson.

They would be over.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
pitseleh

Pierre LeBrun:

Hawks telling teams that price for Byfuglien is a first-round pick and a prospect

http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/16801149936

Oh my. Good luck with that.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Pierre LeBrun:

Hawks telling teams that price for Byfuglien is a first-round pick and a prospect

http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/16801149936

Oh my. Good luck with that.

For a 40 point, $3mil forward?

I have a feeling the Blackhawks are going to be extremely disappointed in how the next couple weeks play out if that's the type of return they're looking for in deals where they don't take back any salary. They're in for a rude awakening.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote