HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Finding a taker for Roman Hamrlik, without taking much in salary back?

Old
06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
The odds of improving this team is a lot higher with an extra 5.5 M than via keeping an aging slow D-man who is costing us 5.5 M ... you fail to understand this.

Is Hamrlik a complete tool? no. Is he close to being worth 5.5? no. Can we make better use of this money? Yes.
No need to rush thing we will need that money next summer.

If we sign Volchenkov for 5 millions for 5 years you will be the first to say next summer that we don't have cap space and that we are screw.

A lot of thing happen in a season we will need money next summer!

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
chpartisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
If moving Hamrlik allows us to upgrade our top 6 without the need to loose Andrei I'm definitely up for it. I still like Akost and think he can be a wild card for the team. If however, I can't move Hammer and would need to shed Akost salary to improve the top 6 (for ex. signing Frolov) , I'd do it.
But who plays on D for Montreal?

Spacek-Subban
Gill-Gorges
O'byrne-Webber/Carle???

chpartisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:03 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I think you overestimate the market for a 36 year old vet like him. Look at Phoenix, they signed Aucoin for 2 years ~2 mil per. Nobody is going to allow the Canadiens to off-load Hamrlik to them for a decent pick or any D that could replace him.

You want to go into the season with him and I'm fine with it, but that also means that there won't be any other high profile signings or trade for a winger and that I'm not so sure it will work.
A team like Los Angeles who is looking for an upgrade to the defense corps and a veteran for a playoff push this year would give up a draft pick for Hammer.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
A team like Los Angeles who is looking for an upgrade to the defense corps and a veteran for a playoff push this year would give up a draft pick for Hammer.
Well that's a matter of opinion. I doubt it personally. There will be better options when the deadline comes.

The only ways of trading or getting some cap relief with Hammer imho, is to sweeten the deal with a prospect or just a plain buyout.

In any case I don't even think the habs are trying to get rid of the Kostys to have a better top 6 so the top question is moot really.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Yeah, and players that are signing $2.75 million in the UFA market are really going to greatly improve our team. That is ridiculous.
What???

2.75 Million can get you Moore and Belanger (give or take).

2.75 can you get a decent D-man to replace the aging Hamrlik.... sure not an all star, but certainly someone younger and more mobile.

If this is not improvement than I don't know what is.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
What???

2.75 Million can get you Moore and Belanger (give or take).

2.75 can you get a decent D-man to replace the aging Hamrlik.... sure not an all star, but certainly someone younger and more mobile.

If this is not improvement than I don't know what is.
We have the cap space and rookie depth to provide a Moore and Belanger without moving Hamrlik. So now you have just lost one of your better defensemen for a downgrade on defense without improving the team. But gasp...WE NOW HAVE 2 EXTRA MILLION DOLLARZZZZ.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
A lot of thing happen in a season we will need money next summer!
True........ but since we are never in rebuild in Montreal, you want to build the best team possible each year. It's one or the other. If we are all about future, than we should trade Hamrlik and not use the cap to the max.

And, if there are players to be had that can contribute, better to have them than others that are just weighing down the team with their salary.... given that we are going to exercise the cap fully each year anyways.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpartisan View Post
But who plays on D for Montreal?

Spacek-Subban
Gill-Gorges
O'byrne-Webber/Carle???
Find one at a better rate. It's the off season.

Anytime Markov's out I only pray for .500 anyweyz. With a bolstered offense and a serviceable replacement at D, it should easily be attainable.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
We have the cap space and rookie depth to provide a Moore and Belanger without moving Hamrlik. So now you have just lost one of your better defensemen for a downgrade on defense without improving the team. But gasp...WE NOW HAVE 2 EXTRA MILLION DOLLARZZZZ.
You speak as if we have ample cap space... check out the figures, it's nothing to feel so cushy about.

We have 9.2 Million with only 7 forwards and zero goalies signed....

Gomez, Scott
Cammalleri, Mike »
Plekanec, Tomas »
Gionta, Brian »
Kostitsyn, Andrei »
Moen, Travis »
Eller, Lars » EL

DEFENSEMEN
Markov, Andrei »
Hamrlik, Roman »
Spacek, Jaroslav
Gill, Hal »
Gorges, Josh »
O'Byrne, Ryan »
Subban, P.K. »
BUYOUTS
Laraque, Georges » $500,000

edit: ohya, lets add Darche at 550K

Old
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
chpartisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Find one at a better rate. It's the off season.

Anytime Markov's out I only pray for .500 anyweyz. With a bolstered offense and a serviceable replacement at D, it should easily be attainable.
They will need someone capable of playing 25 min a game. May not be as bad as last year in terms of extra workload with Subban but still, they are going to need a top 4 on the market.

chpartisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:18 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

The zero goalie signed with one just given a vote of confidence is somewhat worrisome indeed.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
habsfan92

According to CapGeek, Hammer has a NTC until Feb 2011 which he can only be traded 6 teams of his choice. After Feb 1 2011 no NTC.
kind of severely handcuffs moving him for a positive return.
Although he will probably move along with a 3rd round pick to get a second in return.
If I was the other GM, I would probably want the second rounder in return for taking that salary off Mtl's hands.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
A 550K rookie is as good as Hamrlik.
Nobody wants a player like him. He will be a Hab for the next season.
You really have no idea what hockey is... Yes he had ups and downs last season but considering Markov was out a long time, he did have his part to not make our defense look terrible.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:17 PM
AntonCH

Moving Hamrlik is a moot point imho
You need him at the beginning of the season
And his value won't be any higher than it will be at the trade deadline.
So hang on to him till then and move him to a team looking for veteran D-man looking to make a push.(a la Rivet)
Use part of the money that will be freed to re-sign Markov and blow the rest on wild weekends in Vegas.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Do people realize that if Hammer stays, it likely means that PG is done. RFAs will be re-signed and he will use some of the money left to add a veteran backup goalie.

I don't feel really confident with the actual forwards group. IMO, we would need a top 6 forward with size and a solid 3rd line forward too.

I don't like it but it is a strong possibility that PG will keep the team pretty much as it is right now.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:32 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Do people realize that if Hammer stays, it likely means that PG is done.
No, I don't think they realize that ...

Old
06-22-2010, 06:32 PM
AntonCH

To get rid of Hamrlik, it means you've found a dance partner to take him
and the likelihood of that is?
One year left on the contract, Markov out, and youngsters coming into the top 6 (see O'Byrne and Subban)
worth keeping till the deadline

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Tiger Svoboda

even at the deadline Hammer will probly have more value to habs than to any other team.

Tiger Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Miller Time

if we can move him without taking someone else's crappy contract in return, great...

if not, I'd much rather us focus on moving spacek.

Hamrlik only has 1 year left, which makes him much more valuable/traeable at the deadline if necessary, and opens up an important chunk of cap space for the 2011-2012 season.

plus, despite his disappointing play, when he's rested he is still a solid dman to have.

Spacek and his ~4M$ contract for 2 more seasons is a much bigger concern imo. he's the guy we never should have signed and now need to move.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You really have no idea what hockey is... Yes he had ups and downs last season but considering Markov was out a long time, he did have his part to not make our defense look terrible.
I agree....Hamrlik and Spacek were over user early when Markov went down and plated extremely well in that stretch.

As the season grew older the two started to play somewhat bad because they were tired.
Now with Subban able to play a lot of minutes a Healthy Subban and a proven Duo in Gorges and Gill they will be a lot better in the consistency dept.

I say keep Hamrlik for his last year.....

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpartisan View Post
They will need someone capable of playing 25 min a game. May not be as bad as last year in terms of extra workload with Subban but still, they are going to need a top 4 on the market.
They just need depth. A bottom pairing vet is enough. It's just patchwork anyweyz until Markov's return who btw seems to always heal ahead of schedule.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
goman

The way Subban played in the playoffs and the way O'Byrne played for part of the season you'd have to say there's no need for Hamrlik. And of course having the cap space would be great.

But what if Subban and/or O'Byrne falters? What about injuries? Markov's out already so you'd have to think he'd be welcomed for the first 1/4 of the season.

Maybe hang on to him at least until Markov comes back and then evaluate. If things are running smoothly I'm sure a contender would welcome he pro-rated cap hit in exchange for his veteran presence.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Moving him at the deadline only makes sense if someone clearly stole his spot and even then, I don't see the point. A veteran defenceman is worth more for the playoffs than a 3rd round pick. We won't need cap space in february even if we want to add players.

If he starts the year in Montreal, might as well finish it.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
ourson

Send a message via Yahoo to ourson
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
According to CapGeek, Hammer has a NTC until Feb 2011 which he can only be traded 6 teams of his choice. After Feb 1 2011 no NTC.
kind of severely handcuffs moving him for a positive return.
Although he will probably move along with a 3rd round pick to get a second in return.
If I was the other GM, I would probably want the second rounder in return for taking that salary off Mtl's hands.
Do you know who is the 6 teams what he gonna waive his NTC?

ourson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
RE-HABS

With Florida moving two forwards, they may want to look at the Kostitysn brothers if Tallon is unsuccessful in obtaining any of the Hawk players up for trade.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote