HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks interested in Andrew Ladd

Old
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
RobsonStreet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
The cushion is 10% so about 5.9 million

CapGeek has cap temporarily 59 million so 5.9 million cushion. Hawks have 1.4 million in cap space. How much is Toews/Kane bonuses again? 5 million? so that's 3.6 million over the cap, 2.3 million left.

To qualify Ladd is 1.6 million, Hjalmarsson is ~707,000 and Niemi is $828,218. To qualify all three is 3.1 million. Their priority is obviously Niemi and Hjalmarsson.

They would be over.
Meaning, at minimum, one roster player is getting traded on or before June 28th just to extend QO's. What I can't understand - is Sopel's contract that toxic? I'm surprised Chicago can't move a 2nd rounder with Sopel for a Daniel Rahimi level prospect. They could then qualify all three and take things from there.

Last edited by RobsonStreet: 06-22-2010 at 05:22 PM.
RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

For a 40 point, $3mil forward?

I have a feeling the Blackhawks are going to be extremely disappointed in how the next couple weeks play out if that's the type of return they're looking for in deals where they don't take back any salary. They're in for a rude awakening.
I feel like there will always be 1 GM out of 30 that will throw common sense to the wind.

KDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Placebo Effect

Well the Hawks have to start high. That's the smart thing to do in any negotiation. If they think they'll get it that's another story (one that deserves a ). But you never know, there are some nutty GM's out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
Meaning, at minimum, one roster player is getting traded in on or before June 28th just to extend QO's. What I can't understand - is Sopel's contract that toxic? I'm surprised Chicago can't move a 2nd rounder with Sopel for a Daniel Rahimi level prospect. They could then qualify all three and take things from there.
That's the surprising thing, he's not. He's overpaid sure but not terribly. Most of us here have already posted that we'll be happy to take Sopel back for Ladd. If we are short cap space we can send him to Manitoba, but if we have extra cap space why not keep him at a 6-7 D-man.

I'd be willing to do Hansen and a pick for Ladd. In fact, I'm willing to send them SOB as well. If Chicago manages to keep Hjalmarsson they will desperately need cheap D-men in the 1 million range. In fact, Alberts would fit that bill even more. He played decent in the Chicago series, hopefully enough that Bowman would be willing to take him. That and the 3rd D pairing in Chicago won't see much ice time.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I havae a feeling that a few teams would be interested in Ladd and given the Canucks situation (being a Western Conference playoff team) I think they would have to over pay for Ladd.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
DreamCatcher*

Just how bad is Blackhawks cap situation?

Heres what their roster could look like opening day:

I was also being generous with the raises and I excluded Ladd; Blackhawks aren't in cap hell, they're cap-F*KED

I would like to reiterate my proposal of acquiring Ladd, Byfuglien, and Sopel. Dump Sopel in the minors, however, that doesn't help their situation a whole lot and they still have to fill in some holes which will cost cap space.

I think the the only way they can get out of this predicament is by unloading Huet, Ladd, Byfuglien, and Sharp/Versteeg.

Chicago has to be very generous to the team that takes Huet's monstrosity of a contract and that team will likely buy-out Huet at a cap hit of 1.875 for the next 4 seasons.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Placebo Effect

Did you add in Toews and Kane's bonuses? Funny how people keep trying to argue how this cap increase helps the Hawks more than us. No way at all. Hawks are ****ed even if the cap goes up 5+ million. For us the cap increase is the difference between a middle pair D-man and a legit #1. Sure we have more competition to outbid but to say the Hawks benefit more is laughable.

My pipe dream: Ladd, Hjalmarsson, Sopel for Hansen, O'Brien, Alberts

Hansen will make less than a million while O'Brien will get about 1.8 million. All three combines for 3.75 million approximately. That's just a little more than Hjalmarsson will make alone. Unless the Hawks move Campbell I can't see them being able to keep Hjalmarsson. With this trade the Hawks get at least 2 NHL capable (okay 1 borderline) NHL defensemen and a young forward that can play a checking role but also has some offensive upside.

But as I said, just a pipe dream.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
pitseleh

That doesn't count the bonuses that are going to count against their cap next season either.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Kid Canuck*

They may have cap issues and bonuses being payed out but they won the Stanley Cup. I would gladly trade places with them in a heartbeat for just 1 of the cups they have won.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
FruityPants3*

WHY ISN'T THE DEAL DONE YET? OMG Gillis do something!!

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Agent007

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS
Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Kyle Beach ($1.171m)
Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / * Jack Skille ($0.850m) / * Adam Burish ($0.800m)
* Colin Fraser ($0.700m) / * Bryan Bickell ($0.600m) / Jake Dowell ($0.525m)
Robert Klinkhammer ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.000m)
Shawn Lalonde ($0.800m) / * Jordan Hendry ($0.650m)
Jonathan Carlsson ($0.565m)

GOALTENDERS
* Antti Niemi ($3.000m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $55.0m; PAYROLL: $56.317m; CAP ROOM: $-0.797m BONUSES: $0.520m

All of these numbers are fairly realistic and the Hawks STILL have to clear some cap space.

The only question that remains is how much were the Hawks over the cap by. Some have it as low as $2.8m while others have it as high as $4.0m.

If the Hawks are $2.8m then they've got enough cap space to make that roster work. If not then the Hawks have to look at moving either Niemi, Sharp, Hjalmarsson or Campbell.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Placebo Effect

Don't forget that Bowman also has to plan ahead since Seabrook is a RFA next season. Another player making over 4 million.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Pierre LeBrun:

Hawks telling teams that price for Byfuglien is a first-round pick and a prospect

http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/16801149936

Oh my. Good luck with that.
Exactly.... Everyone knows Chicago is screwed when it comes to the cap, why would anyone give them more than maybe a third round pick for him? He became quite ineffective against Pronger, proving that he's just a poor man's power forward. Lots of those types of guys are just hanging out in the AHL...

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agent007

Quote:
Don't forget that Bowman also has to plan ahead since Seabrook is a RFA next season. Another player making over 4 million.
$59m cap - $4m penalty = $55m cap

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
More like 5-6m. Fun stuff.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Placebo Effect

I was being really generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
$59m cap - $4m penalty = $55m cap
Realized after, that's why I edited post

Old
06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Agent007

Quote:
I was being really generous.

Realized after, that's why I edited post
lol it's funny because the Hawks are ****ed

Old
06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The last thing the Hawks need is salary back.
They need someone to play and play cheaply unless you think they are going to go with 11 forwards per game

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
They need someone to play and play cheaply unless you think they are going to go with 11 forwards per game
Exactly, they need players back as well, not just prospects. But the kicker is they need players making not more than 2 million.

That's why I'm willing to package O'Brien, Alberts, Hansen for Ladd, Hjalmarsson and Sopel. Maybe add one more thing going back. 2nd round pick in 2011? All players going to CHI are cheap. O'Brien and Alberts combined would make less than Hjalmarsson. That's 4 D-men if they can get rid of Campbell, 5 otherwise.

It's a pipe dream but Chicago is really that cap ****ed. People are continuously underestimating their cap situation. I love how all Hawks fans are all assuming EVERY single Hawks prospect will be NHL ready. Good luck playing with 5-6 rookies.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
Meaning, at minimum, one roster player is getting traded on or before June 28th just to extend QO's. What I can't understand - is Sopel's contract that toxic? I'm surprised Chicago can't move a 2nd rounder with Sopel for a Daniel Rahimi level prospect. They could then qualify all three and take things from there.
Here's a question: we all know you can go over the cap by 10% in the off-season, but I would assume that a franchise would be going over next season's cap as of July 1st. Does anyone know for sure? If my understanding is correct, the Hawks will have roughly 10 million dollars in raises to Kane/Towes to factor in. So, in essence, the financials outlined on the previous page (3.1 in space for qualifying offers) might be overly optimistic.

I expect the Hawks to move two or three roster players (money is on Versteeg, Ladd, and Sopel) before the draft is over.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
vadim sharifijanov

no matter how dire chicago's situation is, given the choice (which i'm sure they will have) why wouldn't they help out some team in the eastern conference by giving away ladd rather than helping to improve a team that is looking to knock them off in the playoffs?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
I'd love Ladd. 3rd line not 2nd line though. Riding shotgun with Hodgson and Samuelsson.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Grabner *
Ladd Hodgson Samuelsson *
Glass Malholtra Rypien (bernier if we can't move him)

* Sammy getting extra time on the 2nd line.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
no matter how dire chicago's situation is, given the choice (which i'm sure they will have) why wouldn't they help out some team in the eastern conference by giving away ladd rather than helping to improve a team that is looking to knock them off in the playoffs?
Because the Canucks are going to use their cap space on improving their team regardless and Chicago should be trying to improve themselves as much as possible.

Let's say the Canucks offer a second for Ladd and the best offer from the East is a fourth. Is Chicago really better off if they send him to the East and the Canucks sign Colby Armstrong (or some other similar player) with the money they were going to spend on Ladd?

Obviously if the offers are almost the same that will be a serious consideration but if it's the difference between getting something of value from the Canucks and giving him away to an Eastern team, it makes more sense to get value.

(Unless I misunderstood your point).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
DoubleTrouble

Ladd is the Type of Forward the Canucks need to target and i'm sure Gillis is all over this. Gillis needs to let the Hawks Know if they don't wanna deal with the Canucks, He will send offer sheets to their other UFA and make life hell for them.

I do like the deal taking Soaps of their hands with Ladd. I have no problem with giving then Hanson and a draft pick for both or even Rypein, Rypein would be a low cap hit for the Hawks.

Either way Gillis should do whatever it takes to get Ladd

DoubleTrouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
kanuck87

Gillis needs to get in on the action NOW!!!! With the Hawks offering Sopel and Versteeg for a 2nd round pick and now Ladd's rights are being shopped around, this is the perfect time for MG to buy low here.

To Vancouver:
Versteeg
Sopel
Rights to Ladd

To Chicago:
2010 1st round pick
Hansen

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Versteeg
Ladd-Hodgson-Samuelsson
Glass-Rypien/UFA center-Grabner

For the short-term, our cap situation looks fine with Versteeg making 3 and Ladd probably making 2.3-2.5 million, both as RFA's( edit: Versteeg is a UFA my bad). That's probably what we'd be spending to get solid bottom-6 players anyways. If either has a breakout season, or Raymond has one, we could turn around and trade them next off-season, and slot Grabner in their place.

As for Chicago's end of the deal, they may not want to trade to us, but given their demands for each player, this would be a very solid offer, probably more than what they were looking for.

We can't go wrong here.

Last edited by kanuck87: 06-22-2010 at 06:44 PM.
kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Ace of Canucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I'd love Ladd. 3rd line not 2nd line though. Riding shotgun with Hodgson and Samuelsson.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Grabner *
Ladd Hodgson Samuelsson *
Glass Malholtra Rypien (bernier if we can't move him)

* Sammy getting extra time on the 2nd line.
Sick looking forward group. Then if we can trade for a guy like Coburn, and sign a D man like Zbynek Michalek and we are stacked.

Ace of Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote