HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHLPA votes 5% cap escalator, extends cba 2011-12

Old
06-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 500
he's full of it he front loaded drury gomez and redden deals.

maybe doesn't think tis so smart for older guys like lecavalier or hossa but he gave gomer 7 years. i don't see why he wouldn't give kovalchuk 10 to 12 front loaded.

i still say 12 years 95 mil first 8 years frontloaded at 10 mil a year is too rich for LA's blood and we could get kovalchuk no problem with that offer. gives us a cap hit under 8

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:13 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
he's full of it he front loaded drury gomez and redden deals.

maybe doesn't think tis so smart for older guys like lecavalier or hossa but he gave gomer 7 years. i don't see why he wouldn't give kovalchuk 10 to 12 front loaded.

i still say 12 years 95 mil first 8 years frontloaded at 10 mil a year is too rich for LA's blood and we could get kovalchuk no problem with that offer. gives us a cap hit under 8
Lecavalier and Hossa are older? They're 31. That's not old. That's prime.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

31 is old for a 12 year deal.

27 isnt as bad.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
31 is old for a 12 year deal.

27 isnt as bad.
Okay, got that wrong. Thought he meant a 31 year old is OLD.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
TheHotRock

good news. lock up staal, then try for kovalchuk.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well I cant speak for what he meant exactly, but the point still stands.

Hossa will likely have to be bought out or retire by the end of his contract.

Kovalchuk will be useful for 3-4 years longer, likely, and we have 12 years of a future 600 goal scorer, one of like 20 in the leagues history. If you can fit it under the cap, I think thats a legitimate investment to make.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

right 31 is too old to start a 12 year deal where as 27 is very doable.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Are you going to have enough cap room after you sign Kovalchuk to adress other depth issues (centermen, d-men)?

If so, you can officialy count me on board for the Kovalchuk train. However, if we barely make it out by adding 2 more pieces...d-men and centermen; or that we can't adress the depth at all cause of locking all the money and years into Kovy than I'm still against the idea.

The only way I'm open to the idea is if we can get a legit scoring center-men and a good d-men along w/ Kovalchuk. Otherwise It's still going to be players playing out of position whether it be a callahan in the top 6 or Christensen as your number 1 center.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Are you going to have enough cap room after you sign Kovalchuk to adress other depth issues (centermen, d-men)?

If so, you can officialy count me on board for the Kovalchuk train. However, if we barely make it out by adding 2 more pieces...d-men and centermen; or that we can't adress the depth at all cause of locking all the money and years into Kovy than I'm still against the idea.

The only way I'm openm to the idea is if we can get a legit scoring center-men and a good d-men along w/ Kovalchuk. Otherwise It's still going to be players playing out of position whether it be a callahan in the top 6 or Christensen as your number 1 center.

My response has always been that our center will be aquired in 2 years. If the cap rises enough for us to expand players like MDZ, Dubinsky, amongst others, then Drury coming off the books will open 7 mil for a REAL 1st line center. Because of Drury, we may have to tolerate Christensen-ANisimov-Drury or eventually Stepan-Anisimov-Drury as our 3 centers for the next 2 years, which I am prepared to accept.

In 2 years, Thornton could be a ranger. Or, in 3 years, Crosby.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
JimmyStart*

I don't kow whether this is good or bad. I honestly am scared of the kovie signing. Short term i.e. the next 4-5 years it's great but if you gotta go 8-10 years and keep it 8-10 mil every year it's a scary prospect especially when his scoring declines. I'm officially just on the fence with kovie. We have the cap space to sign him AND our guys like Staal, Girardi, Prust, etc than great.

I feel like our guys have to come first. If possible I think he should have a cap hit of 6-7 mil this year and next year then when Avery, brashear, Voros, Drury and Roszi are gone have it escalate for two or three years to 12 mil, then go back down to 9-10 for the remainder. This allows us to have plenty of cap room even f the cap stays where it is and it should go up.

I don't know if the 7 mil-12 mil jump is too much...maybe have it go 7-10 mil and then 10 mil-12 or 13.

8 years of kovie including important guys to leave and free cap space and/or re-sign that year:

6.5 (Need to resign current guys Staal, etc),
7.5 (Sangs, Gilroy, Dubs, Artie and Cally let go or re-sign. Brash and Voros gone. No room for FA),
10 (Drury and Roszi now gone. Sign MDZ, MZA, others? With continue cap increase, FA?),
13 (Prospects. FA?),
13 (Redden officially done, hank and Gab gone or re sign. FA?),
9.... Again I dunno if that cotnract features jumps that are too big but cap wise with things the way they are (and will be) this is a fairly manageable contract that allows us to keep kovie and sign our guys especially the prospects who may succeed in the future.

That said those last 4 years of 13, 10, 9, 9 might sting a lot if his scoring declines or he starts getting injured or lazy.

Purely hypothetical contract not even sure if it's doable according to NHL rules.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
My response has always been that our center will be aquired in 2 years. If the cap rises enough for us to expand players like MDZ, Dubinsky, amongst others, then Drury coming off the books will open 7 mil for a REAL 1st line center. Because of Drury, we may have to tolerate Christensen-ANisimov-Drury or eventually Stepan-Anisimov-Drury as our 3 centers for the next 2 years, which I am prepared to accept.

Ewwwwww, I think after I read that I vomitted in my mouth slightly.

If anything we need Richards, I would be damned to see Mr. Playoffs or Mr. Whinner on this team. Anyways, here's to hoping that we can get Kovalchuk, and still have quite a bit of money to play around with (Sharp? Weiss?) Can you imagine being down a goal late in the game and out over the boards hops a line of:

Kovalchuk - Weiss - Gaborik

I think I just jizzed in my pants.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Ewwwwww, I think after I read that I vomitted in my mouth slightly.

If anything we need Richards, I would be damned to see Mr. Playoffs or Mr. Whinner on this team. Anyways, here's to hoping that we can get Kovalchuk, and still have quite a bit of money to play around with (Sharp? Weiss?) Can you imagine being down a goal late in the game and out over the boards hops a line of:

Kovalchuk - Weiss - Gaborik

I think I just jizzed in my pants.
You cant tell me that a final season of Gaborik,Lundqvist, Kovalchuk, with a new signing of Crosby wouldnt make you a happy fan.

I hate Crosby, but after 20 games on the Rangers he would probly be my favorite player.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

No to Thornton and no to Crosby.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Crosby isnt signing here.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
You cant tell me that a final season of Gaborik,Lundqvist, Kovalchuk, with a new signing of Crosby wouldnt make you a happy fan.

I hate Crosby, but after 20 games on the Rangers he would probly be my favorite player.
I hate him so much that I can't even envision him as Ranger.

It kind of reminds me of A-Rod. The only time I really cheered for A-Rod was last year in the playoffs other than that I couldn't stand him on other teams and I can't stand him as a Yankee. I wouldn't love Crosby after 20 games but I would find a way to bear the sight of him in blue.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

I'm not willing to start the season w/ depth issues. To me that's still the #1 problem on this team. The depth (especially of our top 6). It's also necessary to add that quality depth is what we need. Our division is arguably the strongest w/ the likes of Philly, now the Islanders who are stacking talent, The penguins, and even the Devils( who have backed off a bit)

Lundqvist is 28. He was 23-24 when he joined the team. You are now entering his prime years. It would be a damn shame to waste even more milage on one of the best goalies in the league. I'll tell you what, he wants a structured competetive team next season, he wants to win, and so do I. It's not as far as some claim. Not with the best goalie in net, a rising star d-men in Staal and Del Zotto on the back end, and an elite winger up front on wing. Build on that this off-season by adding secondary scoring(Zherdev), centermen(Weiss), and a d-men(Boychuk)...if it was up to me. I'd give a hard look and Bufyglien too for his size and skillset.

Otherwise if it means getting Kovalchuk while leaving the other areas of importance out to dry, then I don't want Kovalchuk. However, If you can get me a center-men like Weiss, if you can get me a d-men like Mitchell or Boychuk along w/ Kovalchuk; then I'm for it. But the cap says otherwise.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not willing to start the season w/ depth issues. To me that's still the #1 problem on this team. The depth (especially of our top 6). It's also necessary to add that quality depth is what we need. Our division is arguably the strongest w/ the likes of Philly, now the Islanders who are stacking talent, The penguins, and even the Devils( who have backed off a bit)

Lundqvist is 28. He was 23-24 when he joined the team. You are now entering his prime years. It would be a damn shame to waste even more milage on one of the best goalies in the league. I'll tell you what, he wants a structured competetive team next season, he wants to win, and so do I. It's not as far as some claim. Not with the best goalie in net, a rising star d-men in Staal and Del Zotto on the back end, and an elite winger up front on wing. Build on that this off-season by adding secondary scoring(Zherdev), centermen(Weiss), and a d-men(Boychuk)...if it was up to me. I'd give a hard look and Bufyglien too for his size and skillset.

Otherwise if it means getting Kovalchuk while leaving the other areas of importance out to dry, then I don't want Kovalchuk. However, If you can get me a center-men like Weiss, if you can get me a d-men like Mitchell or Boychuk along w/ Kovalchuk; then I'm for it. But the cap says otherwise.
I wouldnt mind those additions, but inclusive of what we would need to deal for Weiss and Byfuglein scares me off.

Im not a big fan of trading for high priced players, IE Richards, Vinny, and on and on. Unless a HEatley situation pops up again id much rather spend our money and no assets on a guy like Kovy or, yes, Zherdev/Frolov.

Old
06-22-2010, 04:49 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

can't see crosby leaving pittsburgh?

i can see a certain #71 winning another cup yet not being given enough credit/not being "the guy" on the team.

i definetely can see malkin becoming tired of being second fiddle to both crosby and ovechkin (guess thats really third fiddle? lol) and wanting to be the man somewhere. what better place than NY?

kovy-malkin-gaborik LOL

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Guys check this out, it's a little over the cap but look at what a great team this is:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
* Erik Christensen ($0.750m) / * Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($9.000m) / * Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
* Vaclav Prospal ($2.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / Dane Byers ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($3.500m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Bobby Sanguinetti ($0.855m) / Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Chad Johnson ($0.850m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 20; CAP:$59.6m; PAYROLL: $61.877m; CAP ROOM: $-0.779m BONUSES: $1.498m

Old
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
BrandNewDream

Reality check to all of you, the cap WILL NOT BE 59.6. It is a 5% bump from the mid-point of the previous year's cap, so expect something in the high 58's to low 59's. That 500k can certainly make a big difference.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Reality check to all of you, the cap WILL NOT BE 59.6. It is a 5% bump from the mid-point of the previous year's cap, so expect something in the high 58's to low 59's. That 500k can certainly make a big difference.
Thanks Bettman for the reality check

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Thanks Bettman for the reality check
I'm just trying to stop the madness before it begins!

Next thing you know we'll see lineups with Kovy, Volchenkov, Lombardi, Michalek and Marleau.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
I'm just trying to stop the madness before it begins!

Next thing you know we'll see lineups with Kovy, Volchenkov, Lombardi, Michalek and Marleau.
All I know is what LeBrun tweeted:

Quote:
Final cap number, which will be more than $59 M, must be agreed upon and finalized by NHL and NHLPA when they compare numbers over next week
If LeBrun is to be believed, that could be $59.1, it could be $59.6 and it could also be $59.9, but regardless, $500K is about the MAXIMUM amount less than the speculated $59.6MM that it could be.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:56 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:

If we sign Crosby, I'll:

Old
06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
AJRanger

Even with the cap increase, I still don't want Kovalchuk at the price it'd take. There's no need to use the cap just because it's there.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote