HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Finding a taker for Roman Hamrlik, without taking much in salary back?

Old
06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
SoundsGood

vCash: 500
Hammer and a conditional 1st for a bag of rights to anyone.

1st is given if the anyone signs and plays 20+ games with the Habs.

Who is anyone?

SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:49 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

I don't think we can trade Hammer, simply because we won't find any taker.

I would buy him out IF I can get my hands on a younger cheaper Dman whoses salary added to the buyout rounds at just about Hammer current cap hit.

I would target PHO's Michalek or PHI's Hamhuis or WAS's Morrisonn.

This would be gold.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Moving him at the deadline only makes sense if someone clearly stole his spot and even then, I don't see the point. A veteran defenceman is worth more for the playoffs than a 3rd round pick. We won't need cap space in february even if we want to add players.

If he starts the year in Montreal, might as well finish it.
I dont know about you but Hamrlik scared the crap out of me everytime he touched the puck during the last playoffs.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:59 PM
kigol

Our only hope to unload Harmlik is to find a low budget rebuilding team trying to get to the minimum, especially with the maximum cap going to 59M. Other than that, at trade deadline, since Hamrlik is good at the beginning of the season and sucks/gets tired late in the season, we could unload him to a contender looking for a replacement due to injuries possibly.

kigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:19 PM
bib
#believe

If he continues his crappy play from last season, nobody is going to want him and he will be bought out.

It's all about working out those kinks and preliminary mistakes of the salary cap era.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
I dont know about you but Hamrlik scared the crap out of me everytime he touched the puck during the last playoffs.
He was incredible after Markov went down.

I'm also 100% sure he'll help Subban come a long nicely.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
AntonCH

Hamrlik has served this organization well
I doubt that they would buy out his contract
Just not happening

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:33 PM
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
If he continues his crappy play from last season, nobody is going to want him and he will be bought out.

It's all about working out those kinks and preliminary mistakes of the salary cap era.
I'm fairly sure, just a guess, that a Malakhov type of deal can be worked out but if it doesn't, then sure. He can be bought out. Then we can dump the brothers and throw the bank at Kovachuk for the longest, cap frendly, contract the CBA permits Gauthier. Bring Kovalchuk to his grave with 30 years of salary minimum and a front loaded of 10-12 years of max salary possible. Anyways, you get the idea.

SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He was incredible after Markov went down.

I'm also 100% sure he'll help Subban come a long nicely.
Yes.. Let Hammer play until the deadline.

Save the 5.5 for NEXT summer. You will be thankful then.

Why do people so many people love to max out credit cards?

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Dharvey33

Three guys id want to replace AK are Dustin Penner, Wayne Simmonds and Rene Bourque. With a strong preference for Simmonds. but i doubt the kings are willing to let him go.

I would like Colby also but id prefer him on a third then a second line.

I think the habs can be a good trade partner with the kings because they want experience on the blue line. O'donnell or Scuderi never were top d in the league so they can hardly learn something to Johnson or Doughty. Whereas Hamrlik Spacek or even Markov(for the right Price) could really help them improve there defensive game.

Like i said in the Other thread i would trade Markov and the K Bros for Johnson Simmonds Richardson and a 3rd pick.

Or Andrei Kostitsyn for Rene Bourque (injury prone but plays big and has good hands) and a 2nd pick.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Yes.. Let Hammer play until the deadline.

Save the 5.5 for NEXT summer. You will be thankful then.

Why do people so many people love to max out credit cards?
Agreed 100%.

And who knows, maybe if we keep Hamrlik, he'll re-sign for $2M or something. He's a damn useful shutdown defenseman, even if his offensive game has went downhill somewhat. Though he still picks up assists because aside from Markov (and maybe Subban now), he has the best first pass out of the zone.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Agreed 100%.

And who knows, maybe if we keep Hamrlik, he'll re-sign for $2M or something. He's a damn useful shutdown defenseman, even if his offensive game has went downhill somewhat. Though he still picks up assists because aside from Markov (and maybe Subban now), he has the best first pass out of the zone.
I somewhat agree, the only reason i would try to trade hammer is if there was something else huge coming back...aka Kovalchuk. If there is no chance, then I would keep him and give him less ice time when Markov comes back.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
AreYouHockey

We need to move some high salaries.

Hamrlik or Spacek must go, because O'Byrne is ready, and so is Subban.

Please god, deliver us for the Kostitsyns.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'm not sure of a team that has an overpaid 5, 6 guy and an overpaid bottom 6 forward that equals 4 mill. Saving 1.5 is good, imo considering it's Hamrlik.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:46 AM
The Right Price

I'd rather move Spacek.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:48 AM
ReVeuF

The only way a team will take Hammer, the team need to be in a rebuilding phase and need to meet the cap floor, need a veteran for the young players.

Not many teams are in that position.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:50 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafort View Post
We need to move some high salaries.

Hamrlik or Spacek must go, because O'Byrne is ready, and so is Subban.

Please god, deliver us for the Kostitsyns.
I agree with you, especially with the Kost part

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
TankEller*

Hamrlik is, despite his salary, still a serviceable top-4 defenseman in the NHL. He only has one year left on his contract, and with Markov being sidelined for at least the month of October, I don't think it would be reasonable to deal this guy away.

That being said, we need improvement, consistency, and most of all, grit on the top-6.

I don't think the best scenario for the Habs would be to deal Hamrlik, when both Kostitsyns probably are more attractive assets to other teams, and when they have a lesser importance on our roster.

We need to find a way and improve our top-6. For this to happen, we need cap space. I think both brothers can fetch a decent young player/prospect from another team. That's what I'd be willing to do if I were Gauthier.

The UFA market maybe ain't that great this summer, but teams will try and move some big salaries. We can make the most out of it if we have cap space. And still, some interesting UFAs out there would really add some grit/size/talent to our top-6.

I think both Andrei and Sergei have to get traded. You can't explain/forgive how pathetic they were in the playoffs this year. And they created more problems than they helped the team in the last few years.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:55 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Hammer has a NTC until Feb 2011 so is not being moved.
Markov is out for October at least
Hammer finished with an alright -2 on the season, and since we were a minus team that is actually pretty good.

Hammer has value to this team and replacing him won't be as easy people think.

The other point is that how teams treat the players on their roster affects how other free agents view signing here.
So buying out useful players with decent stats or burying them in the minors is really a dumb thing to do.( never mind the fact that it is a waste of cap space and cash)

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Hammer finished with an alright -2 on the season, and since we were a minus team that is actually pretty good.

The other point is that how teams treat the players on their roster affects how other free agents view signing here.
So buying out useful players with decent stats or burying them in the minors is really a dumb thing to do.( never mind the fact that it is a waste of cap space and cash)
Very interesting post.

What about Spacek?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post

Hammer's NTC became limited after February 2009 if I remember well. He has 6 teams in the East, and 6 teams in the West he indicated he would lift his NTC for from what I understood.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Darz

I dunno why so many people are worried about moving Hamrlik. He only has one year left on his deal. If at some point during the season we have to move him, it will be easy to find a taker for a veteran dman with less than a season left on his deal. If we can move him before the season to free up cap space for another move, I'm sure their is a team that would give up a 4th/5th rounder to add a veteran presence that can play 22-24 minutes a night to their blueline. Heck we got a 1st rounder and a player (Gorges) for Rivet, and I would think right now Hamrlik is a better dman than Rivet was when we traded him to San Jose.

No worries.

06-23-2010, 10:16 AM
RE-HABS

I think Anaheim could be a realistic place for either Hamrlik or Spacek.

The Ducks have Visnovsky, Eminger, Brookbank, Oystrick and Festerling as their top 5 and need to sign another Dman. Outside of Visnovsky all the other Dmen are 5-6 Dmen.

Spacek is affordable because he is $2 million per cheaper, but Hamrlik comes with a one year deal which is attractive as well.

How about Montreal makes a trade to the Ducks like this;

Roman Hamrlik - $5,500,000 or Jaroslav Spacek $3,833,333
Andrei Kostitsyn - $3,250,000
Sergei Kostitsyn - $1,000,000 estimate

for

Joffrey Lupal - $4,250,000
George Parros - $875,000

Anaheim can pick from Hammer and Spacek. They may like Spacek because it give cap options to re-sign Bobby Ryan long term, and with Neidermeyer retiring there is specualtion Selanne will as well and Koivu will look elsewhere.

Both Kostitsyn give them two forwards to replace departed Selanne and Koivu.

Spacek or Hamrlik give them a 3-4 Dman too.

Montreal gets a top 6 guy, and much needed toughness.

Could we trade for Bobby Ryan???

I would offer:

Andrei Kostitsyn
Benoit Pouliot
Roman Hamrlik
1st round draft pick
Top prospect

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:52 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
If he is that good, why everybody want to get rid of him ? And we all know that he will be very hard to trade. SO, I suppose he is not that good and overpay !
I need to use my Jedi powers to try and decipher this (the logic, not the language, I understand that english is not your first language).

There are a faction here who think that Hamrlik is no good. That is plain wrong. I'm not even going to suggest he is overpaid (maybe .5 to 1 million, but I'm cheap). No, you will not find a 550K dman to replace him (think Shawn Belle). He has one year remaining on his contract and I'd like to see him paired with Subban the whole year.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
How are you going to do that? I think I have made it clear that if you are upgrading sure. But bottom line is, top 4 defensemen, particularly young ones, do not fall out of the sky; they are typically the most coveted players in the league.
People seem to think we live in a magical world where we can dump hammer to a team for PICKS and on top of that sign a guy like Volchenkov or Martin to take his place.

News flash people, why would any team pay us something to take Hammer in order for us to sign Volchenkov or Martin, or even Michaelek, when they could just do so themselves?

It's stupid. The answer is they wouldn't, they would rather than giving up assets for a downgrade impending UFA, sign a promising UFA while giving up nothing.

If you want Hammer gone it'll be either by buy out or a deal that sends hammer + prospect or pick to a team for cheaper buyout/useless prospect who is a career AHLer at best.

It isn't going to be "here take Hammer, thanks for a 4th round pick, SIGNED VOLCHENKOV! ZOMGGGGG". Sorry this simply isn't how things work and it would never happen no team is this stupid.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote