HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2010, 11:51 PM
roseyc

vCash: 500
I actually would like Marleau. Kovolchuk would 7 or 8 ml a year. I think Marleau at 5.5 or 6 with extended years.Plus here's something I'm just speculating on. Radulov left because him and Arnott didn't get along...one reason is that Rad jumped Arny and gave him a concussion. When Poile went to talk with Rad at the Worlds and Rad maybe saying if Arny isn't there I would come back. So Poile gets one part of the deal done. Rad gets out of his deal?

Think about this Marleau and Wilson and Geofferion and Hornqvist and Erat and Legwand in years to come. Sully will be gone next year. Dumont could be dealt if he's not wanted and Trotz acts like he doesn't want him. We are going to have let go with some kind of money if we want to compete with Chi and Det and Stl and Col is right on the doorstep if they make the right moves. Where are we going to be.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:56 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Versteeg or Buff?
sorry..steeg

Old
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
roseyc

Quote:
I know a few people have talked about trying to get Buff from Chicago but what about getting Versteeg instead? Just curious what people think about that one. I don't think this would be considered a huge move but he's a solid player with a decent cap hit.

Chicago is not going to deal with any team in their division especially Buff. I don't think they'll deal any of their players in the division. The only reason they'll dealt Sully is they were bad and you take the best deal.

Old
06-23-2010, 12:01 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I hate to be a party pooper, but I just do not see room in the budget for any big ticket item, unless our budget is going up by several million dollars, or if we trade one of our big guys. At most, I could see us signing a $3M free agent, and I think I'm being generous.

Once we sign Horny, Franson, Parent, and a backup netminer, we will be just under what we spent last year. Don't forget we need a little cushion for callups and a deadline deal or two.

Yeah, revenue sharing might be going up, but have any real numbers actually been confirmed?

Did we turn a profit this year? If so, how much? Usually they talk about it after the season is over, but I don't remember them doing it this year...
you may well be right. i havent looked at the numbers yet since arnott has been traded. but before his trade, wasnt everyone saying that dumont needs to go so we can sign our guys and someone else? well, 500k more left... maybe the chicago contracts last year or so (buff/steeg), kind of screwed us with horny. i hope he doesnt walk away with anything more than three mil, and i think that is too much for one year of production.

but we just got rid of 7 mil ...eh, maybe your right. who knows. september cant get here quick enough

Old
06-23-2010, 12:06 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Chicago is not going to deal with any team in their division especially Buff. I don't think they'll deal any of their players in the division. The only reason they'll dealt Sully is they were bad and you take the best deal.
maybe your right, but people have come out and said that hawks are over-valueing their players. i dont think there will be a huge desire for these guys at the cost hawks are trying to get. so if we offer the best..they would think about it. i guarantee they think about it. chicago is in a pickle (worse then sucking with sully), and i dont think they will flinch at trading within the division if the offer is that much better.

Old
06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
you may well be right. i havent looked at the numbers yet since arnott has been traded. but before his trade, wasnt everyone saying that dumont needs to go so we can sign our guys and someone else? well, 500k more left... maybe the chicago contracts last year or so (buff/steeg), kind of screwed us with horny. i hope he doesnt walk away with anything more than three mil, and i think that is too much for one year of production.

but we just got rid of 7 mil ...eh, maybe your right. who knows. september cant get here quick enough

I couldn't agree more with you. I don't get caught up in the cap because they ( Poile) knows what he can spend or ask to spend. Last year at the deadline I thought we were capped and couldn't spend anymore money for the year from what everyone was saying and then we go get Grebs and Boyd. I understand that their salaries were at the end of the year but I didn't think they could do it and they did.

Old
06-23-2010, 12:10 AM
glenngineer

Funny thing is, Chicago can overvalue their players all they want. Every other team knows they've got cap issues so if teams are patient, their guys will be had for less than what Chicago wants for them. It's very much like Heatley wanting out of Ottawa, everyone knew it so they were able to low ball them and Ottawa didn't a fair return on their player.

Old
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
maybe your right, but people have come out and said that hawks are over-valueing their players. i dont think there will be a huge desire for these guys at the cost hawks are trying to get. so if we offer the best..they would think about it. i guarantee they think about it. chicago is in a pickle (worse then sucking with sully), and i dont think they will flinch at trading within the division if the offer is that much better.
I would love to have Buff on this team but I don't hold out any hope. From Chi point of view wouldn't you hate to face us in the playoffs with your former player. Buff was the man that got them to the Cup. I think they are crazy to get rid of him. Buff alone destroyed Van in that series. It took Pronger probably the best defenseman in the league to contain him. Would you give up our 1st for him? I think I would he's that good to me

Old
06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
glenngineer

As good as Buff was in the playoffs, the guy has scored 34, 31 and 36 points the last 3 years in the regular season. We talk about not wanting to give Hornqvist money for one season of production, I'd have a hard time justifying a guy averaging around 34 points a year and giving him $3 million next year and have him be a RFA and giving up something to get him. Joel Ward puts up the same amount of points at half the price.

He played well in a few rounds but he was invisible in the finals which screams streaky to me. I'll take a pass on him.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:29 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I want nothing to do with Buff right now. As glenngineer said, outside of this years playoffs, he's had Vladimir Orszagh like production. He's only 25, so he has room to mature, but his regular season efforts leave a lot to be desired.

And now that he has a Cup, are his effort issues going to resurface again, as they typically do, during the regular season? And with that Cup and the great effort he gave, his value is sky high. Just doesn't seem very intelligent for a team that needs to be smart with its resources to invest in stock when it's at its logical peak.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
I reallly thought Horton was poiles target and for all we know he did make a bid for him. the 4 mil could have been managed unless it was backloaded.

the cap went up so the cap midpoint went up so if the ownership group is still of a mind to spend a little more money(as we heard after freeman stepped down) then I think poile makes some acquisitions.

however, I still favor the reclaimation project theory becasue getting a top tier ufa would require overpayment and a long contract.

Im hoping poile pulls something completely unexpected off and gets us a quality forward via trade... but im not holding my breath

Old
06-23-2010, 08:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think Horton's character was a red flag to Poile. It certainly was to me.

For a guy who nearly came to blows with an assistant coach, pretty much publically requested this trade, and is known for taking shifts or even games off...compounded with the injury history...no thanks.

I don't know about token's "source," but going on that info, and assuming it's true..I have a theory\guess...but we'll see

Old
06-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think Horton's character was a red flag to Poile. It certainly was to me.

For a guy who nearly came to blows with an assistant coach, pretty much publically requested this trade, and is known for taking shifts or even games off...compounded with the injury history...no thanks.

I don't know about token's "source," but going on that info, and assuming it's true..I have a theory\guess...but we'll see
want to share with the class?

Old
06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
want to share with the class?
My guess...

Hornqvist and Franson for Bobby Ryan.

Might just be that I really like Ryan

Old
06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
oreilly22

Dreger says Marc Savard is available. He's on a great $4 millionish contract for a while, and would be an improvement over ol' Arny imo. Maybe this is the player?

Old
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
My guess...

Hornqvist and Franson for Bobby Ryan.

Might just be that I really like Ryan
LOL. Those two wouldn't get Bobby Ryan. With Nieds retiring yesterday and Wis being a free agent and them far apart on a deal, I think they're gonna need some help on the blue line that isn't a guy like Franson. A few years ago I thought of us doing an even swap of Suter for Ryan but we can't make that move now and Suter or Weber would have to be packaged to Anaheim to land Ryan. Then again, I could be wrong. I'd hate to give up Hornqvist to get Ryan. Maybe it's Budish as he fits their team mold of big forwards.

Old
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Poile likes Ryans... but I don't think it is bobby ryan... How about Ryan Malone?

Old
06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
LOL. Those two wouldn't get Bobby Ryan. With Nieds retiring yesterday and Wis being a free agent and them far apart on a deal, I think they're gonna need some help on the blue line that isn't a guy like Franson. A few years ago I thought of us doing an even swap of Suter for Ryan but we can't make that move now and Suter or Weber would have to be packaged to Anaheim to land Ryan. Then again, I could be wrong. I'd hate to give up Hornqvist to get Ryan. Maybe it's Budish as he fits their team mold of big forwards.
I think it's a pretty decent deal for Anaheim actually. Young 30 goal scorer that will likely get a cheaper contract for the next couple of years and a promising young offensive defenseman. I think a pick or prospect would probably have to be included from our side as well, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
roseyc

Quote:
As good as Buff was in the playoffs, the guy has scored 34, 31 and 36 points the last 3 years in the regular season. We talk about not wanting to give Hornqvist money for one season of production, I'd have a hard time justifying a guy averaging around 34 points a year and giving him $3 million next year and have him be a RFA and giving up something to get him. Joel Ward puts up the same amount of points at half the price.

He played well in a few rounds but he was invisible in the finals which screams streaky to me. I'll take a pass on him.
Buff is only 25 and last year he played forward and defense after Campbell went down and now with winning playoff experience. Pronger is going to make a lot of players look streaky. If the Hawks get rid of him they won't be the same team. Kane was the invisible one during the playoffs. Buff put in winning goals in the Van series and the SJ series. 11 goals in the playoffs that's not an easy feat at all. He did good last year as well. He's a risk that's worth taking. I still don't think the Hawks will offer him to us anyways so it's probably a mute point.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:54 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Buff is only 25 and last year he played forward and defense after Campbell went down and now with winning playoff experience. Pronger is going to make a lot of players look streaky. If the Hawks get rid of him they won't be the same team. Kane was the invisible one during the playoffs. Buff put in winning goals in the Van series and the SJ series. 11 goals in the playoffs that's not an easy feat at all. He did good last year as well. He's a risk that's worth taking. I still don't think the Hawks will offer him to us anyways so it's probably a mute point.
36 points for $3 million is not doing well. We get that production from Ward for half the price. No thanks. One playoff year does not make me all giddy about his performance coming off 3 years where his highest point total was 36 points.

Old
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
roseyc

Quote:
36 points for $3 million is not doing well. We get that production from Ward for half the price. No thanks. One playoff year does not make me all giddy about his performance coming off 3 years where his highest point total was 36 points.
You quabble about regular season and I'll take playoff performance anyday over regular season. I know we don't do well in the playoffs so all we have is regular season. Our stars never play up to the expectation in the playoffs. I envision a power play with Hornqvist and Buff in front of the net. Weber and Suter on the point. Not Sully. Do you see Ward scoring 11 goals in the playoffs. But they won't offer him to us anyways

Old
06-23-2010, 01:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
You quabble about regular season and I'll take playoff performance anyday over regular season.
Two words: Fernando Pisani.

Old
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Buff was a character actor in the Hawks run, not the big star.

Old
06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Two words: Fernando Pisani.
Or better yet, old Poile favorite John Druce, the ultimate "playoff performer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Druce

Old
06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Buff was a character actor in the Hawks run, not the big star.
correct ... Jonathan Toews was the big star

Closed Thread