HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for Savard?

Old
06-23-2010, 07:41 AM
ATG

vCash: 500
Kaberle for Savard?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325440

ATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Fozz

Boston won't trade Savard and his new, very cap-friendly contract.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Biggzy*

Ouch. Not sure what to think about this deal. Savard is definitely worth more, but considering the circumstances of his contract and the fact that Kaberle only has one year left, this might actually work.

Plus after yesterdays trade, this could make sense. Bring in Kaberle to replace Wideman.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:46 AM
alienanton*

both teams fill a need. if it happens, i think its a good deal.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Ouch. Not sure what to think about this deal. Savard is definitely worth more, but considering the circumstances of his contract and the fact that Kaberle only has one year left, this might actually work.

Plus after yesterdays trade, this could make sense. Bring in Kaberle to replace Wideman.

It's a cap friendly deal of a cap hit of just over 4 million...

I don't see how that lowers his value, if anything it increases it.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Given contract circumstances, and this specific deal being within the division...

Savard + 1st round pick in 2010 + 3rd in 2011 + Weidman >>> Horton + Kaberle + Campbell.

IMO these combination of moves wouldn't be good for Boston.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
bme44

This is not a trade I want to see happen. If PC does this it will be a big mistake and why would the bruins want to help the leafs improve when they hold the leafs 2011 first. I think it is somthing that the leafs are hoping for but not in Bostons best intrest

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Diskothek

I hope this is all speculation. Savard has improved leaps and bounds in his overall game since coming to Boston. Kabs would be gone after 1 year while Savvy is locked up to a great contract for several years.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme44 View Post
This is not a trade I want to see happen. If PC does this it will be a big mistake and why would the bruins want to help the leafs improve when they hold the leafs 2011 first. I think it is somthing that the leafs are hoping for but not in Bostons best intrest
If Dreger writes it, it's because it's something the Leafs would want to see happen, no doubt.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Frankie Spankie

I said it on the Bruins board and I'll say it here again. Nowhere did anybody say that Chia has ever talked to Burke about a Savard-Kaberle swap. These "league sources" that mentioned Savard was available said it would be a swap around Savard for the 4th overall pick from Columbus. Not sure who even came up with it or why. Just because some article mentions a possible (ridiculous) trade with Columbus and Savard doesn't mean Savard is actually on the market. I'm sure he is tradeable from a Bruins perspective, but other teams will likely have to overpay to get him, and it'd take a lot more than Kaberle.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobermay

Marc Savard would be a good mentor/leader for Nazem Kadri and Tyler Bozak.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
cashman rules*

No thanks

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
HankTheTank

this is is odd mainly b/c Savard just signed a fresh contract, and certainly hasn't **** the bed since signing his new deal.

It's pretty rare for guys to get dealt so quick after re-upping.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I said it on the Bruins board and I'll say it here again. Nowhere did anybody say that Chia has ever talked to Burke about a Savard-Kaberle swap. These "league sources" that mentioned Savard was available said it would be a swap around Savard for the 4th overall pick from Columbus. Not sure who even came up with it or why. Just because some article mentions a possible (ridiculous) trade with Columbus and Savard doesn't mean Savard is actually on the market. I'm sure he is tradeable from a Bruins perspective, but other teams will likely have to overpay to get him, and it'd take a lot more than Kaberle.
Exactly

Old
06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Quote:
Makes sense.
It all depends on the F/A front and other trades. Does PC think that he has the right pieces (on the back-end) to make a serious push in the play-offs?

Its not only the leafs that know Kaberles trade window runs out, and teams dont want to be missing that final nail that completes there team.

Not saying Kaberle is the guy to win you the cup on his own. But its a scare tactic for teams. Knowing a elite puck-mover is available and on the trade market for a certain period of time. Im guessing that is what Burke is trying to paint a picture of, to get the best value.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Dave from Vancouver

I think it makes sense. Kaberle is a defenseman, hasn't had any injury problems - he will play longer than Savard. Boston will probably draft Seguin this summer, they have Krejci - neither of those will be as good as Savard next year but Seguin probably will be in say, three years time. Then you have a surplus of centres and Savard's cap hit, which looks great now, isn't going to look so nice on a guy approaching 40.

Kaberle is a great skater, but has never played an overly physical game - I think he's got five years at least, and at a good level.

Comparing the players straight up, Savard is better - but it fills a need for Boston and moves a guy who as I said, has a cap hit that's really nice now, but with a NTC could be a problem in a few years with Seguin, Krejci and Bergeron, as well as Colborne, down the middle.

As for the Leafs, this is as good a forward as they'll get for Kaberle and probably puts them back in the playoffs.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:00 AM
frankthefrowner

Wow Savard's only a 4million dollar cap hit??? Talk about bang for your buck. One of the best playmaking centers in the league with a 4mil cap hit is not getting traded..

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:00 AM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Makes sense.
It all depends on the F/A front and other trades. Does PC think that he has the right pieces (on the back-end) to make a serious push in the play-offs?

Its not only the leafs that know Kaberles trade window runs out, and teams dont want to be missing that final nail that completes there team.

Not saying Kaberle is the guy to win you the cup on his own, but its a scare tactic for teams. Them knowing a elite puck-mover is available and on the trade market for a certain period of time.
well for this trade to make sense to the Bruins there would need to be more than Kaberle comming there way

Old
06-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Dave from Vancouver

One other thing, I do think the Leafs would have to add something. Not a Kadri/Schenn level player or prospect, but a mid-level prospect.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
If Dreger writes it, it's because it's something the Leafs would want to see happen, no doubt.
Ya, doubt. Some Leaf fans maybe, but not all. Savard isn't very well liked throughout the league. I want nothing to do with his lazy ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Marc Savard would be a good mentor/leader for Nazem Kadri and Tyler Bozak.
Yea, show them how to be hated by your teamates and not play defense, exactly what we want them doing. Oh, and maybe he even shows them technique to bite and get away with it.
Quote:
well for this trade to make sense to the Bruins there would need to be more than Kaberle comming there way
Which is exactly why it wont happen.
The Leafs don't want Savard, any more then you would trade us one of Krejci or Bergeron(2 centres we would take)
WONT HAPPEN!

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:07 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Wow Savard's only a 4million dollar cap hit??? Talk about bang for your buck. One of the best playmaking centers in the league with a 4mil cap hit is not getting traded..
Yep. 7 years left on a front loaded contract.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkleaf View Post
One other thing, I do think the Leafs would have to add something. Not a Kadri/Schenn level player or prospect, but a mid-level prospect.
i could agree to that.

Other than Schenn/Kadri. I probably would be ok.

His salary would help the leafs, his play would help the leafs. it would be a no-brainer.

doubt the Bruins would want to move him, but there is always dreamin'

Kaberle + 1 of: (Stalberg/Aulie/Hayes/Stefonovich/D'amigo)

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Ya, doubt. Some Leaf fans maybe, but not all. Savard isn't very well liked throughout the league. I want nothing to do with his lazy ass.

Yea, show them how to be hated by your teamates and not play defense, exactly what we want them doing. Oh, and maybe he even shows them technique to bite and get away with it.

Which is exactly why it wont happen.
The Leafs don't want Savard, any more then you would trade us one of Krejci or Bergeron(2 centres we would take)
WONT HAPPEN!
Hated by his fellow players? Savard is loved in Boston.

Defense? Have you even seen him play since he signed in Boston? He's not Kesler or Datsyuk obviously, but he's killed penalties and improved his overall game significantly.

Savard for Kaberle is a steal for the Leafs...good thing this is most likely a fabricated rumour.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:09 AM
hockeygod2010

Its a good deal for Boston if they can get Kaberle signed long term and Boston is a place he wants to go. There were also rumors last summer that when free agency hit that Marc Savard was looking at coming to Toronto. I think Burke isn't that stupid to trade away two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder if there wasn't something else worked out before the trade. We will give you our 1st in 2010 and 2011 plus a 2nd in 2010 for Kessel and if you guys can lock up Savard long term we will send Kaberle and a little more at the draft next season.

Boston also has that 2nd overall pick and if they can't flip flop to get number 1 then I think there picking Seguin and he is going to be your number 1 centre and in my opinion he isn't as dynamic on the wing as centre. So in that opinion I believe that Savard is available. He might not be moved for Kaberle now or later and he may not be moved at all, but I believe he will be moved to make way for Seguin.

hockeygod2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:09 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

If this deal went down I'd love to know how the Bruins plan on replacing/re-signing Bergeron, Kaberle, Chara, and Sturm after next season.