HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for Savard?

Old
06-23-2010, 08:11 AM
bme44

vCash: 500
IMO this whole Kaberle for Savard Rumor is somthing that is being driven by the Toronto media with very little substance

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:12 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri
2012 first rounder or 2013 first rounder. (2013 if 2012 is a top 10 pick.)

I think Leafs fans will say the price is too high, but Savard is one of the best centers out there. Check out his track record since the lock-out. He was great with both the Preds and the Bruins. 4 million a year is a complete steal and he's locked up for a very long time.

We don't know what Kaberle will want after next season or if the Bruins will even have the cap space to hold onto him, so he's not worth anything near Savard with 1 year left on his contract.

Kadri has to be in there. The chance of Kadri turning out to be ass effective as Savard is what? 1/20? 1/30? Kadri is a highly touted prospect, but Savard is arguably one of the top 5 playmakers in the league. I don't see Kadri turning into a top 5 anything in the league.(unless he pulls a Sean Avery...and we know what top-5 that would get you on)

So we've got a first pairing defenseman with 1 year left on his contract and a good prospect. Still not enough for a damn good first line center. One could argue that that first rounder isn't enough, but many Leafs fans may argue that they need a first round pick some time.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:13 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I said it on the Bruins board and I'll say it here again. Nowhere did anybody say that Chia has ever talked to Burke about a Savard-Kaberle swap. These "league sources" that mentioned Savard was available said it would be a swap around Savard for the 4th overall pick from Columbus. Not sure who even came up with it or why. Just because some article mentions a possible (ridiculous) trade with Columbus and Savard doesn't mean Savard is actually on the market. I'm sure he is tradeable from a Bruins perspective, but other teams will likely have to overpay to get him, and it'd take a lot more than Kaberle.
we dont want Savard, him and Kessel didn't get along anyway. Keep ur log jam/cap issues.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

ill believe it when i see it

chara - kaberle on the pp would be scary

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri

I think Leafs fans will say the price is too high, but Savard is one of the best centers out there. Check out his track record since the lock-out. He was great with both the Preds and the Bruins. 4 million a year is a complete steal and he's locked up for a very long time.

We don't know what Kaberle will want after next season or if the Bruins will even have the cap space to hold onto him, so he's not worth anything near Savard with 1 year left on his contract.

Kadri has to be in there. The chance of Kadri turning out to be ass effective as Savard is what? 1/20? 1/30? Kadri is a highly touted prospect, but Savard is arguably one of the top 5 playmakers in the league. I don't see Kadri turning into a top 5 anything in the league.(unless he pulls a Sean Avery...and we know what top-5 that would get you on)

So we've got a first pairing defenseman with 1 year left on his contract and a good prospect. Still not enough for a damn good first line center. One could argue that that first rounder isn't enough, but many Leafs fans may argue that they need a first round pick some time.
just no.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Dave from Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
If this deal went down I'd love to know how the Bruins plan on replacing/re-signing Bergeron, Kaberle, Chara, and Sturm after next season.
Bergeron and Kaberle will get small raises (less than $1m) if at all, Chara and Sturm will stay the same or go down. Lose Thomas' $5m, Savard's $4m, add Seguin to about $3.5m - works fine.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkleaf View Post
One other thing, I do think the Leafs would have to add something. Not a Kadri/Schenn level player or prospect, but a mid-level prospect.
Pretty sure it would take something along those lines actually. If Boston sends Savard to the Leafs they're improving them, and thus making their pick next year worse... doesn't make a ton of sense unless there is a high end asset included that will make Boston better for the long term (which UFA to be Kaberle won't).

It's speculation on Dregers part anyway, and one based off stale information. Seidenberg made Wideman expendable, and Boston has the same defense (except improved) that they've had for a couple years now. There is no hole created y the removal of Wideman.

I could see a Savard to Toronto deal next season (at which point Kaberle's contract will have expired), this season it's hard to imagine.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
If this deal went down I'd love to know how the Bruins plan on replacing/re-signing Bergeron, Kaberle, Chara, and Sturm after next season.
Sturm? Not coming back.

Bergeron and Chara? Hopefully re-sign them, and I doubt Chara will continue to make $7.5, especially if he's willing to take a hometown discount.

You make it seem like it would be impossible to bring back Bergeron, Chara, and Kaberle....well, with Ryder and Sturm coming off the books (both vastly overpaid) and Chara and possibly even Bergeron taking minor pay cuts, there's no problem.

How is Buffalo going to keep their potential free agents in 2011?

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Pretty sure it would take something along those lines actually. If Boston sends Savard to the Leafs they're improving them, and thus making their pick next year worse... doesn't make a ton of sense unless there is a high end asset included that will make Boston better for the long term (which UFA to be Kaberle won't).

It's speculation on Dregers part anyway, and one based off stale information. Seidenberg made Wideman expendable, and Boston has the same defense (except improved) that they've had for a couple years now. There is no hole created y the removal of Wideman.
There is still that hole that doesn't allow you to go far in the playoffs. You guys are missing a player like Kaberle.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
just no.
Well, the longer you go without a legit #1 center the longer it's going to take you to see Kessel's numbers near his potential and the better the picks you're going to be giving Boston at seasons' end.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:19 AM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177
But if Kaberle is traded what is the HF community going to have to talk about ?

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Sad Panda

Quote:
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri
This almost makes the Leaf fans posting Kaberle for Bobby Ryan look sane. Almost.

If Burke did that he should be fired on the spot. Not to mention the Leafs won't be giving Boston anymore high level prospects or 1st Round Picks after the Rask and Kessel fiascos.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:20 AM
All Day*

Quote:
I could see a Savard to Toronto deal next season (at which point Kaberle's contract will have expired), this season it's hard to imagine.
I think Kaberle will be dealt this offseason.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Dave from Vancouver

Quote:

Kaberle would have to be signed, obviously.

And I think Chiarelli will be more concerned with building his team into a winner, rather than where our pick will be. He's already got Seguin out of it, and even Savard won't take next year's higher than 15-20 max.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
There is still that hole that doesn't allow you to go far in the playoffs. You guys are missing a player like Kaberle.
Pretty sure Nathan Horton goes a long way to fixing that hole my friend... puck moving has never been an issue in Boston. They get the puck up the ice effectively and efficiently... the problem is what happens with that puck once it's up the ice. Add Horton and Seguin and that issue becomes less prevalent.

If Boston resigns both Boychuk and Stuart (which they should) there will be too many dmen already (considering the impending arrival of Alexandrov). That's a lot of people competing for one spot. Wideman had to moved, and Boston needed to address their issues up front. Badda bing badda boom.

If it had a solid source i'd be thinking about it much harder, but this is jut Dreger idly speculating by past interest and team need (for Toronto). It may be something Chia pursues who knows, but as of now it doesn't exactly have legs. Toronto has a good shot at Savard in the future as its rumored to be one of the teams Savvy would accept a trade too, this season it doesn't make a ton of sense though. When his partial NTC kicks in next season, maybe.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:24 AM
All Day*

Quote:
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri

Back to the Oilers board you go.

Quote:
Well, the longer you go without a legit #1 center the longer it's going to take you to see Kessel's numbers near his potential and the better the picks you're going to be giving Boston at seasons' end.
Kessel had similar numbers without Savard. Want to know why? Because he creates offence himself with his speed and shot.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Boston should move Savard - they've got a nice contract with him but there's no knowing yet if he will every be the player he was before the Matt Cooke hit. Bergeron has rebounded from it, but it definitely affected him. You can't have two centers with long term concussion worries, can you?

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
The Management

Quote:
So we should fork over one of our best prospects? Sorry, that doesn't work for us.

Savard is an amazing player, but there's no way we inclue Kadri or Schenn in addition to Kaberle to fetch him. Savard is a premier top-flight center. Kaberle is a premier puck-moving defenseman. As per contract issues, Kaberle has expressed an interest to stay in the East, and would likely consider re-signing in Beantown.

If a deal like this were to go through (which I don't think it will; this is Dreger speculation we're talking about), I'm sure Peter Chiarelli would inquire about an opportunity to negotiate an extention with Kaberle's agent first. The difference here isn't a bluechip prospect.

Edit: Additionally, I don't see why Boston would deal a veteran like Savard. They're supposed to be competing for the Stanley Cup. Who becomes their #1 center if Savard is shipped out? Krejci? Doubt it. Seguin? Just a rookie. Bergeron? Not sure if he's at that level yet.

Last edited by The Management: 06-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri

If thats the price it takes to land Savard, I sincerely hope the Leafs are not interested.

Don't get me wrong, Savard is a great player, but that is a kick in the groin for the Leafs going forward.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Falon

Quote:

It's speculation on Dregers part anyway, and one based off stale information. Seidenberg made Wideman expendable, and Boston has the same defense (except improved) that they've had for a couple years now. There is no hole created by the removal of Wideman.

As a Bruins fan and Leafs fan, I have to disagree here. The Bruins defense was average BEFORE the departure of Wideman. Now, there is a huge glaring hole on the Bruins blueline. Kaberle>>Wideman. If PC gets Kaberle, the Bruins will win the cup next season. If they do nothing to improve the blueline, they will be bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round again.

That said, I do not think Savard will be dealt. He is too important to the Bruins attack. I hope he comes back from his concussion as good as ever. The only way this deal might go down is if PC knows something about Savard that we fans don't.

Dreger is a very good source for insider information. He does not stir up **** for nothing.

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Really wouldn't be that hard. It's not like these are ELC guys who are in need of huge raises like Kane and Toews. Chara is already making $7.5M, Bergeron is already making $4.75M, and I doubt the Bruins would even attempt to re-sign Sturm with his injuries and inconsistency. Definitely wouldn't want him back for what he makes now. Ryder's $4M is off the books also.

Kaberle would be due a raise, though he's at the age where one of those frontloaded Pronger/Savard/Hossa/etc. deals could be an option. So is Chara for that matter.

Bruins are actually in pretty good shape cap wise for the next couple of years because their young/core guys are either already making significant money and/or signed long-term (Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Chara, Savard, Horton), or they won't make significant money for a couple years (Rask, Seguin).

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I think its a very good basis for a deal for both sides.
Personally i think Toronto need to add more (Kulemin) and Boston only commits if their confident in re-signing Kaberle.

A proposal could be:
To BOS: Kaberle, Kulemin
To TOR: Savard, Ryder

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri

Perhaps you should be.

Since when is it the Leafs problem that Kaberle has 1 year left on his contract?

Savard is nearly 33 years old. Why in gods name would you pass up a 1st rounder + for potentially one of the best offensive defensemen available and take a 33 yr old center if it requires you to give up last years 1st rounder + a future 1st rounder?

Burke knows he got fleeced in the previous Boston deal, no way in hell he would do this deal and have it happen again.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
As a Bruins fan and Leafs fan, I have to disagree here. The Bruins defense was average BEFORE the departure of Wideman. Now, there is a huge glaring hole on the Bruins blueline. Kaberle>>Wideman. If PC gets Kaberle, the Bruins will win the cup next season. If they do nothing to improve the blueline, they will be bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round again.

That said, I do not think Savard will be dealt. He is too important to the Bruins attack. I hope he comes back from his concussion as good as ever. The only way this deal might go down is if PC knows something about Savard that we fans don't.

Dreger is a very good source for insider information. He does not stir up **** for nothing.
He isn't trying to stir **** up, and he isn't claiming its inside information. He's just saying that in his POV it makes sense.

As for the Bruins defense being just average before and likely poor, Boston saw all of 12 games last year with Seidenberg in the lineup. He's now a full time regular, and easily replaces Wideman. So at the very worst, Boston is "just AVERAGE" now.

But again, Boston had no trouble moving the puck up the ice last year. They were 7th in the league for shots (and are consistently around the top in this category), and allowed the 2nd fewest GA/G (and the lowest GA/G the year before). Again, the problem was what they did with the puck when they get it to the other end, their is nothing wrong with their defense at all, in fact it was one of the best in the league.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM
KingsCourt

i can see it happening...leafs may need to add a peice, not huge but a little more

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote