HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Hamhuis and Grebeshkov gone...what now?

Old
06-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Selke

vCash: 500
Hamhuis and Grebeshkov gone...what now?

First off let me say, I come in peace. I have no intention to say anything in the slightest bit of negativity about your team, fan base, anything like that. Not sure how many visitors you guys get from other teams but I find your moves rather interesting.

Seeing as you guys have a pretty incredible prospect pool, I'm sure the answer lies there but who will do what? What do you guys expect to look like?

There's a report going around that Nashville will not retain Grebeshkov and Hamhuis was obviously traded. If I'm not mistaken Parent is a RFA who will most likely sign with you guys. But from there on what will you guys do to replace Hamhuis and Grebeshkov?

I'm asking this because I noticed how great of players they really are during our series. Arguably, I thought your combination of defense and goaltending was the best in the NHL and felt that your team had as good of a shot as any to knock us out. Grebeshkov looked great on the PP. Dangerous, poised are words that come to mind when I think back to recall the series. Hamhuis was extremely reliable in all ends of the ice.

So what will you defensive pairings look like next year?

Weber / Suter
Blum / Parent (?)
Klein / ???

Roussel isn't ready is he? Cody Franson I suppose will fill in one of those too but I'm not sure where exactly. It's incredible you guys have the depth to replace these great players within your own pipeline though.

Anyway, thanks for the information in advance.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:44 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

we re-signed Bouillon, and Franson more than proved he's ready for full time NHL duty last season. I think Parent actually balances out Franson...slow offense-first and fast defense-first. I'm not really concerned about the defense, to be honest.

Suter-Weber
Klein-Bouillon
Franson-Parent

Blum, Josi and Sulzer as depth. Josi is a darkhorse as a guy that could step in and make an immediate impact. Sbisa didn't look out of place in his time with the Flyers before he was traded, and I think Josi is and will continue to be better than Sbisa.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nashville's depth chart is looking solid, also Blum and Josi, and Laakso are in the system. Ryan Ellis, Charles Olivier-Rousell, possibly Ekholm, Foss will graduate RPI next year. Nashville's emptying out the system to make room for these guys next year.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:46 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I still expect us to sign another low priced vet to allow Parent to be the 7th d man to start the season.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
we re-signed Bouillon, and Franson more than proved he's ready for full time NHL duty last season. I think Parent actually balances out Franson...slow offense-first and fast defense-first. I'm not really concerned about the defense, to be honest.

Suter-Weber
Klein-Bouillon
Franson-Parent

Blum, Josi and Sulzer as depth. Josi is a darkhorse as a guy that could step in and make an immediate impact. Sbisa didn't look out of place in his time with the Flyers before he was traded, and I think Josi is and will continue to be better than Sbisa.
Really that 2nd pairing doesn't worry you? It does me. Neither Klein nor Bouillon have shown they can handle minutes like that. Only Franson went against the top lines less than Bouillon last season even then, it was close between those 2. Trotz protected him because he doesn't trust him, and it's not like he's young and improving...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Really that 2nd pairing doesn't worry you? It does me. Neither Klein nor Bouillon have shown they can handle minutes like that. Only Franson went against the top lines less than Bouillon last season even then, it was close between those 2. Trotz protected him because he doesn't trust him, and it's not like he's young and improving...
I think I like Bouillon a little more than you do, just going on comments you've made about him, going back to last season. If we don't sign anyone...is he an ideal second pairing defenseman? No, but really, was Hamhuis last season, when he spent 90 percent of the time paired with Klein? Everyone was quick to blame Klein for Hammer's subpar play...but he made his own contribution to that mess.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
glenngineer

I think everyone forgets when we played our best hockey last year Bouillon and Klein were together. Our first big win streak where we were like 9-1 or something like that, that's when Hamhuis and Klein were split up and guess what, it worked.

For all the complaining about Bouillon around here lately, I have no idea what games you were watching last year. People say he's not good with the puck but I remember him skating up ice with the puck and not having many issues with it. Sure guys get picked every so often, it's the nature of the beast but to say he's bad with the puck I find amusing.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think everyone forgets when we played our best hockey last year Bouillon and Klein were together. Our first big win streak where we were like 9-1 or something like that, that's when Hamhuis and Klein were split up and guess what, it worked.

For all the complaining about Bouillon around here lately, I have no idea what games you were watching last year. People say he's not good with the puck but I remember him skating up ice with the puck and not having many issues with it. Sure guys get picked every so often, it's the nature of the beast but to say he's bad with the puck I find amusing.
It's more about his first pass, much like Klein. They're fine if the skate the puck, but too often they panic with the puck and end up with a giveaway.

I really don't think either can handle more minutes.

My hope is, Blum makes the roster and Parent plays better then a 5th defenseman.

Old
06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's more about his first pass, much like Klein. They're fine if the skate the puck, but too often they panic with the puck and end up with a giveaway.

I really don't think either can handle more minutes.

My hope is, Blum makes the roster and Parent plays better then a 5th defenseman.
Fair enough. The team has stuck with Klein for some reason or another. I've always thought he could be a very effective second pairing guy with his skill set. Hopefully he has that year where he finally breaks out and steps up. Keeping fingers crossed.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think I like Bouillon a little more than you do, just going on comments you've made about him, going back to last season.
yeah it would be hard to like him less than me. I just don't see him as a good talented defenseman.

Also, I think Klein has all the tools to be better than Hamhuis but don't know if he has the mental game to match his talent.

Last edited by triggrman: 06-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old
06-23-2010, 10:03 AM
deanwormer

We'll get by with Klein and Cube this year; I think next year becomes more interesting, as we have to start moving guys like Blum up. This year - maybe one of the kids plays as 7th guy or fills in for an injury, but assuming Parent signs Sulzer as 7th should be comfortable.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
kivaerijo

i am also a fan of francis. think he was a huge pickup last year. definitely more a heart and sould guy. but at times, i would put him as our thhird best defensman. i really dont see the issue with him either.

and trigg...are you really the one that should be calling out a defensman and their first pass?

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:29 AM
goalscorer

Honestly, I think some of our d-prospects are gone. Poile has said it several times here lately that at somepoint you have to use your assets. He can use them on the ice or he can use them to aquire other assets. His scouts want the 2nd and 4th pick back. We're hoping to sign some scoring help... So I think Sulzer will be utilized in a trade for a pick. Blum is already past him in the depth charts, imo. Could possibly see maybe one other d propsect moved to meet other goals.

I sincerely hope Blum plays lights out at camp and forces the Preds to keep him up. I think "the road..." is still our teams' philosophy, but they may be starting to see other teams trust their young studs and start adjusting their mentality a bit. Had Wilson not had the groin issue, he probably would have stayed up most if not all of last year. Now if they're not ready, then they're not ready, but I seem to remember Blum having a strong rookie season in Mil. So if he beats out Parent, Franson, I think he'll play. Crosses fingers.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
I think "the road..." is still our teams' philosophy, but they may be starting to see other teams trust their young studs and start adjusting their mentality a bit. Had Wilson not had the groin issue, he probably would have stayed up most if not all of last year. Now if they're not ready, then they're not ready, but I seem to remember Blum having a strong rookie season in Mil. So if he beats out Parent, Franson, I think he'll play. Crosses fingers.
Interesting comment, here in Vancouver Mike Gillis madea comment during the press conference that while it's been the Canucks philosophy to season a young player in the system and gradually bring them in, the new reality of the NHL from what other teams have shown is that players are increasingly ready at a younger age, don't know if it's better coaching, a more mature/professional mindset among the players or whatnot, but some of the rules about how you develop young players are changing. If you're seeing it, too, I wonder how widespread this change is.

On the topic, it's a tad risky going with so many young and inexperienced defensemen with the second pairing being guys who have question marks about whether or not they can handle the minutes, but I wouldn't rule it out. They can surprise and be better than expected, and if not, address it then. But I'd still be looking for at least one solid second-pairing guy to shore things up, and that might come towards the end of the pre-season when teams have made up their rosters and guys are sliding through waivers or trying to dump salaries for cap space, so I wouldn't worry or trade assets for a defenseman at this point.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:42 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
On the topic, it's a tad risky going with so many young and inexperienced defensemen with the second pairing being guys who have question marks about whether or not they can handle the minutes, but I wouldn't rule it out. They can surprise and be better than expected, and if not, address it then. But I'd still be looking for at least one solid second-pairing guy to shore things up, and that might come towards the end of the pre-season when teams have made up their rosters and guys are sliding through waivers or trying to dump salaries for cap space, so I wouldn't worry or trade assets for a defenseman at this point.
Agree completely.

Last season, everyone was knocking Klein and whoever he was paired with at the time. His partners would get some blame, Trotz would switch it up and that combo would be terrible as well. Klein was the weak link, IMO. I never saw him as a strong candidate for a second pairing role. I'd personally love to see him shipped out and acquire the veteran presence you speek of. With Blum, Josi, COR and Ellis in the midst of being on the roster. I say sign a vet one year and bring these guys up occasionally and see how they do. Then start looking at who they'll replace and how soon.

Would love to see...

Weber-Suter Weber-Suter
ufa/rfa-Blum ufa/rfa-Parent
Franson-Cube Franson-Cube
Parent Blum

You could keep or change things around and find good chemistry with that core.

Old
06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
i am also a fan of francis. think he was a huge pickup last year. definitely more a heart and sould guy. but at times, i would put him as our thhird best defensman. i really dont see the issue with him either.

and trigg...are you really the one that should be calling out a defensman and their first pass?
How would you know what a defensive zone looks like?

Old
06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Agree completely.

Last season, everyone was knocking Klein and whoever he was paired with at the time. His partners would get some blame, Trotz would switch it up and that combo would be terrible as well. Klein was the weak link, IMO. I never saw him as a strong candidate for a second pairing role. I'd personally love to see him shipped out and acquire the veteran presence you speek of. With Blum, Josi, COR and Ellis in the midst of being on the roster. I say sign a vet one year and bring these guys up occasionally and see how they do. Then start looking at who they'll replace and how soon.

Would love to see...

Weber-Suter Weber-Suter
ufa/rfa-Blum ufa/rfa-Parent
Franson-Cube Franson-Cube
Parent Blum

You could keep or change things around and find good chemistry with that core.
Think I'd have to disagree bout your remembering last season.... The Klein Hammer pairing never worked and that was when they both - not just KK - were crucified on the boards. While KK certainly worked through some first full season kinks and learning moments he played a pretty solid role when he was out with other than Hammer. He grew a bunch from 2 seasons ago when he had to fight for time to last year and I expect to see at least that much this year, too.

That said, it's also his make-or-break with the Preds - if he doesn't meet expectations, he'll be gone while we still have Cube for another season and one of those other kids will move into that 2nd pairing role (which may happen anyway if Blum is really as good as he seems.)

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 04:30 PM
goalscorer

[QUOTE=deanwormer;26447967]Think I'd have to disagree bout your remembering last season.... The Klein Hammer pairing never worked and that was when they both - not just KK - were crucified on the boards. While KK certainly worked through some first full season kinks and learning moments he played a pretty solid role when he was out with other than Hammer. He grew a bunch from 2 seasons ago when he had to fight for time to last year and I expect to see at least that much this year, too. [QUOTE]

That's fine. Everyone has different expectations, mine may have been too high? I personally thought he was terrible. He made the person he was paired with worse. Not saying Dan was his usaul self and that he isn't to blame, but even with Franky he was the weak link. I don't know if it's confidence or communication or a combination of the two. He makes things too complicated and has trouble reading plays, especially coming out of the zone.

I'd much rather Blum get the time and have another season of "first season kinks and learning moments" than Klein paired with anyone. Blum is recognized as having a very high hockey IQ. He'll have to get used to the size and speed of NHL hockey, but he's already a step ahead of Klein in my book if the reviews are correct.