HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Terrible Experiences

Old
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

vCash: 500
Terrible Experiences

Hey all. I just had a terrible experience at the local rink. In retrospect it's kind of funny, but still very annoying. I paid, with my friend, to go to the stick practice. We'd never tried it on ice so it was exciting and we couldn't wait (playing street hockey constantly since the start of the summer). We got on and started passing around. As it got more and more crowded, we got more uncomfortable, mostly because some punk was whipping a puck at us every time he came around. Is this something people do? Are all people dicks to people trying to learn? I'm just flustered because I haven't been bullied since grade school and it was weird. As we left (15 minutes after we started) he wristed some pucks at us over the boards. Little jerk off. It's kind of a funny situation but at the same time I'm very very pissed off that it happened. I really want to pay but not if it's going to be an uncomfortable road like this. Any thoughts suggestions or stories from anyone out there in the inernetz?

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Ani simov mal

Drop the mitts next time.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
Hey all. I just had a terrible experience at the local rink. In retrospect it's kind of funny, but still very annoying. I paid, with my friend, to go to the stick practice. We'd never tried it on ice so it was exciting and we couldn't wait (playing street hockey constantly since the start of the summer). We got on and started passing around. As it got more and more crowded, we got more uncomfortable, mostly because some punk was whipping a puck at us every time he came around. Is this something people do? Are all people dicks to people trying to learn? I'm just flustered because I haven't been bullied since grade school and it was weird. As we left (15 minutes after we started) he wristed some pucks at us over the boards. Little jerk off. It's kind of a funny situation but at the same time I'm very very pissed off that it happened. I really want to pay but not if it's going to be an uncomfortable road like this. Any thoughts suggestions or stories from anyone out there in the inernetz?
Don't take crap from a random kid, especially when you are doing nothing to deserve it. I'm not saying go deliver a beat down but confront him or the employees (I'd rather confront him...)

It is odd to me that he did that though because as a beginner when I went to a clinic that was way out of my league (filled with kids that played AA/Prep School) they did nothing but give me tips on what to do and just told me to go at it. I have found that hockey players are the nicest to noobs; although maybe because I am in South Jersey, they just want more people to play with

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:18 PM
SouthpawTRK

Sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stick and puck session at your local rink

Generally, most senior players at stick and puck sessions are always looking to help out those that are new to the sport.

In your case, sounds like it was just some guy on the ice that forgot how it was when he first started and feels empowered by giving players that he does not know a hard time.

Hopefully, the initial experience does not stop you from going back by yourself or with your buds. Congratulations on getting to the ice, hopefully you will have more stick and puck sessions in the days to come.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Ragss

I've never been to a stick and puck, but I know from shinny that there is usually one little ****** who thinks he's the greatest. I've never seen anyone fire pucks at noobs or anything like that, but every time I'm at shinny there is one guy who goes out of his way to undress players way, below his skill level.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Oh I'm absolutely going back. Not gonna let some punk ruin it for me. Can't wait to get out there again. It just sucks I'm starting so late (I'm 20 haha). Oh well, can't wait to get REALLY started

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
noobman

That's actually the first time I've heard of that. Just go tell one of the officials that some puke is firing pucks directly at you and they'll boot him. Alternatively, shoot back... if you're as new as you say you are, EVERYONE will believe you when you say it's an accident

The only problem I ever have with kids at stick and puck are dealing with the ones who like to free roam around the ice and make it damn near impossible to avoid colliding with them!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Burket23

Man that sucks. At my rink mostly everyone is coool as hell. i'm sure you can a solution for the little punk. Most adult players will help each other out, especially if you are new.

Burket23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Frankie Spankie

That sucks, I'd say call him out and be pissed at him on the ice, loudly to try to cause a commotion so other people can tell. I'd say just yell at him when he throws a puck at you from pretty far away so you're not just screaming in his face. If he continues, go talk to people who work at the rink, hopefully they kick the idiot off or refund your money or both.

I have only gone to these stick practices once at my college when they have open skate. There weren't many people around when we started but more and more people came. My friend didn't play ice hockey very long at all, just a few months, so he was noticeably bad, what you'd expect from somebody with little experience. Other people skating around were really cool to us working on some passing plays across me, my friend, and like 3 other people that showed up. Didn't see anybody being a dick like that, I would've been pissed if somebody was doing that to us.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Wheels68

What idiotic behavior. Only time I've seen one guy whip a puck at someone else, that someone else was his friend and in was just roughhousing. I just ended my second season ever and my experience with learning to play is that 99% of hockey people are really cool and encouraging. At some rinks you might see the same people every week at public hockey and maybe there's that one guy who's a loudmouth or won't pass, but that's usually as bad as it gets. I've seen guys get into a scuffle on the ice over a remark, or deliver payback when someone played a little too aggressively, so anyone deliberately clocking strangers with pucks is really taking his chances.

Wheels68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
The Benchwarmer

Dont worry about your age.........I was 35 when I started playing hockey :-)

The Benchwarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Ducati1098VII

Quote:
Im confrontational my response woulda been

" Shoot one more ****en puck at me i dare you, I may not know how to skate but when i take these of ill beat the **** outta you"

But thats me. Id say inform the staff of his actions.

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Lets get this straight. You paid your admission and left after 15 minutes because someone is bullying you by flipping some pucks in your direction?

Expect some ****** bags around the rink. You will run into more than your share of wannabe tough guys playing hockey. You can either get used to it or take up a new hobby.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because it is your first time on the ice and out of your element but here is my advice: If you want to play hockey then do it. Don't let anybody push you around or tell you what you can or can not do. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged by others or bullied by them either. Do your thing and take some pride in it.

Since I get the feeling that you are not great on your skates don't go trying to fight this guy out on the ice. If he is way more balanced than you he will kick the **** out of you. I would have handled it something like this:

First time he flips the puck- "Hey, knock it off."

Second time - "Are you stupid? **** off."

Third time - "You shoot one more puck and I'm gonna kick your ass in the parking lot."

Stick to your guns. Have fun and don't take any ****.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quick question - I have never heard of stick and puck before. I understand what the term means but have never heard the term before.

I am from Ontario and I could be wrong but none of the arenas I have been around offer this kind of thing.

Is it a US thing?

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Crude
Rafters 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Simpson View Post
This, no arena near me has ever done this that I know of.
I live in Edmonton and the majority of the rinks offer a stick and puck ice slot a couple times a week, especially in summer. i guess they are similar to a free/community skate, but are for players only kinda thing. Really nice to have in summer when the outdoor rinks are a thing of the past

Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
Quick question - I have never heard of stick and puck before. I understand what the term means but have never heard the term before.

I am from Ontario and I could be wrong but none of the arenas I have been around offer this kind of thing.

Is it a US thing?
Seems to be. My rink offers it about 3 times a week so players can just come out without having to play games and shoot around. Only been to one at my local rink and there was about 4 people on the ice, so hopefully it stays like that throughout the summer

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:15 AM
motalar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Seems to be. My rink offers it about 3 times a week so players can just come out without having to play games and shoot around. Only been to one at my local rink and there was about 4 people on the ice, so hopefully it stays like that throughout the summer
Summer has been just the opposite for me. I go twice a week to the 6am sticktime at my rink, and I am usually the only one there. Schools let out for the summer last friday and voila!--15 kids showed up for the session on Monday!

motalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
This kind of crap is exactly why the former NHLers never play in the leagues...there is always one hotshot punk who is trying to show them up, when they are out there to have fun and by no means dominate. From Naples to Tampa, Florida is infested with Canadians from September to May, so it's a destination for many retired hockey players, but you rarely, if ever, see them playing in the house leagues or pickup games. I know they live around here, they've shown up to these things before, but all it takes is one bad experience, and they don't come back.

I'd resort to tattling if it's bothering you enough to leave...find someone in charge, and get that creep thrown out, and hopefully banned.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:57 AM
nullterm

Tell him he forgot something and shoot it back at him.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
I have only found real butt-heads on U. S. rinks. I have been injured by a kid at stick and puck because the kid was being careless and I was waiting to shot on my son in net. (Long story involving 6 months of recovery)

Talk to the rink operators and tell them what is going on and hopefully they will handle it. If you need to handle it then do it in the change room, chirping at first let the kid come to you if it come to blows.

I am an older guy who started playing hockey 2 years ago but I'm 6' tall and around 200 lbs, I have not had to take much crap on the ice but once in a while at shinny you know.

Don't let this kid keep you from the ice.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
WickedWrister

Every arena has one (or more) dickheads. There is always that one guy that is at sticktimes 5 days a week with S19 sticks and $250 Eagle gloves, and tinted visor. He thinks he's the **** and will ***** people out/purposely try to embarass the newer players.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:04 AM
noobman

Quote:
That's because most of Toronto's rinks are city-owned, and the city is absolutely terrible at making pickup hockey accessible.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Canlan/Icesports has them.
i.e. the Oakville schedule: http://www.icesports.com/Data/Sites/...e2010%20PP.pdf

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Ricky Bobby

I've never been in your type of situation in hockey cause I've played since I was a little guy.

You need to stand up for yourself. You should have just told them were all here for fun and to get a good workout in. Then if he insists on being a mental midget, I would have mocked the hell out of him. Yelling things like good job superstar, way to go Crosby, etc.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Every arena has one (or more) dickheads. There is always that one guy that is at sticktimes 5 days a week with S19 sticks and $250 Eagle gloves, and tinted visor. He thinks he's the **** and will ***** people out/purposely try to embarass the newer players.
I've never had that experience. Hockey here in the DC area is, for the most part, a friendly game, and there's a sense of camraderie among the players, from the worst beginner to the former pros. The high school kids can be annoying at times, but they don't even seem to have malicious intent.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote