HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Canucks are proud to select...

View Poll Results: And the Canucks select...
Jarred Tinordi 57 28.08%
Kirill Kabanov 48 23.65%
Jordan Weal 1 0.49%
Beau Bennet 12 5.91%
Riley Sheahan 10 4.93%
Dylan McIlrath 35 17.24%
Tyler Tofolli 4 1.97%
Jaden Schwartz 4 1.97%
Jeff Skinner 24 11.82%
Alexander Petrovic 8 3.94%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Gillis makes it sound like they are targeting a specific player and Kuzma thinks it might be Tinordi:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz0rPOnuq4I
Sounds reasonable. Just depends on who's on their list, I guess.

I wonder who the risers/fallers will be on draft day. The Canucks got lucky last year when Schroeder fell to us, and I remember John Moore went right before him, and he was slated to go top 15 as well. I think Calvin de Haan was a guy that went really early to the Isles, IIRC.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Sounds reasonable. Just depends on who's on their list, I guess.

I wonder who the risers/fallers will be on draft day. The Canucks got lucky last year when Schroeder fell to us, and I remember John Moore went right before him, and he was slated to go top 15 as well. I think Calvin de Haan was a guy that went really early to the Isles, IIRC.
There were a few picks where teams took players much higher than generally rated last year.

This could be one of those sort of drafts as well because once you get into the teens there does not seem to be a great deal of consensus - the ratings seem to be all over the map.

The Canucks may well have a couple of players rated highly who could fall to their position.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

If Kabanov is that good, its probably worth to "waste" (or "invest") a 2nd round pick on him.

But you need a team, an organization and coaching staff who can deal with real troublemakers and turn them around - I suspect that doesn't fit the Canucks' profile.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous dan View Post
Who's Mark Alt? Who's Red Line? And for that matter...who are YOU??
ISS has him ranking 64th. Early 3rd Round.

I would agree with that if our GM was Nonis.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:58 AM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
ISS has him ranking 64th. Early 3rd Round.

I would agree with that if our GM was Nonis.
That mock draft also has us picking at 24th sooooooo yea.

SaucyNavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Tinordi - the X factor

The very interesting thing about an ex-NHLer's son is the probability that he has the cerebral corteX to play in the NHL is pretty high (1 out of 2? at least) whereas for all the other Dmen in the draft, who really knows how they'll adapt to the speed, lack of time to think, pressure, talent, size, grind etc... of the NHL?

This is a big part of the reason why you see players like Parise, Statsny et al. do so well, IMO. They've inherited the toolbox.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Agent007

I find it funny that some of us (Canuck fans) over value players but when it comes to picks and moving down we don't seem to really understand the exact value.

For example some of you are happy to drop 10 spots and end up with a 2nd round pick.

Just go have a look at some of the last few drafts and you'll be able to see that you could easily drop 2-3 spots and add a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If Gillis does plan on dropping as many as 10 spots then he could easily trade down a couple of times and end up with a couple of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

It's also not even unrealistic to think that Florida might be willing to trade pick 33 and 36 to move up to 25 if they have a player available that they are really high on.

For example the Ducks traded pick 21 to the Jackets for pick 26 and 37 last year. The Ducks also traded pick 28 to the Coyotes for pick 35 and 39 in 2008.

There are always going to be some teams out there that are interested in moving up while giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The Devils for example in 2008 dropped from pick 21 to pick 24 and added the 54th pick in 2008 and a 2009 3rd round pick.

Here's a list of teams we should keep our eye on and what they have currently that might interest us:

Montreal: pick 27 and pick 57
Anaheim: pick 29 and pick 42
Chicago: pick 30 and pick 43 and pick 60 and 2011 Toronto 2nd round ipck
Edmonton: pick 31 and pick 48 and pick 61
Boston: pick 32 and pick 45
Florida: pick 33 and pick 36 and pick 50
Columbus: pick 34 and pick 55
NYI: pick 35 and pick 58 and pick 65
Carolina: pick 37 and pick 47 and pick 53
Minnesota: pick 39 and pick 56 and pick 69

Realistically we're unlikely to drop 12 or 14 spots unless Carolina or Minnesota are wiling to offer either pick 47 and 53 or pick 56 and 2011 2nd round pick respectively.

So therefore any of those other teams that I have listed are possibilities for trades.

The more we drop the higher the price will be. We could even drop down to 30 and add pick 43 and then once again drop down to 34 and add pick 55 as well which would leave us with pick 34, 43 and 55.

In terms of value that's something we could expect and honestly that's something I'd love to see us do as well.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Drunken Crunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
The very interesting thing about an ex-NHLer's son is the probability that he has the cerebral corteX to play in the NHL is pretty high (1 out of 2? at least) whereas for all the other Dmen in the draft, who really knows how they'll adapt to the speed, lack of time to think, pressure, talent, size, grind etc... of the NHL?

This is a big part of the reason why you see players like Parise, Statsny et al. do so well, IMO. They've inherited the toolbox.
There are a litany of prospect this year with athletic bloodlines to family members who compete at elite level sports. You may be referencing it in strictly terms of "hockey genealogy", but it is still interesting to note. List includes forwards and defensemen.

Emerson Etem: Pat (Mother) was a member of the 1980 and 1984 U.S. Olympic rowing teams (and rowed in four national championships), while Rick (Father) was on the U.S. Naval Academy rowing team. Older brother, Martin, (Syracuse University) got him into hockey and is a member of the U.S. national rowing team (23 and under). Older sister, Elise, is a junior (redshirted as a freshman in 07-08)rower for the Cal Bears (varsity) in the NCAA (she also competed on the swim team in 07-08)

Nick Bujstad: Nephew of former University of Minnesota standout, U.S. Olympian and NHL forward Scott Bjugstad. His father was also a member of the Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey team.

Kiril Kabanov: Dad was a former Russian Army boxing champion.

Dalton Smith:
Son of former Buffalo Sabre and Detroit Red Wing Derek Smith who played 9 seasons in the NHL.

Kevin Hayes:
Younger brother of Toronto maple Leafs prospect Jimmy Hayes who was drafted in the 2nd round - 60th overall in the 2008 draft.

Tom Kuehnhackl: Son of German hockey great Erich Kuehnhackl.

Tyler Pitlick: Nephew of former NHL defensemen Lance Pitlick who played over 400 games in his career with the Ottawa Senators and the Florida Panthers.

Charlie Coyle: Tony Amonte's cousin.

Stephen Johns: Cousin of Robert Babcock who was a pitcher in Major League Baseball for 17 years.

Brock Nelson: Grandfather, Billy Christian, won a gold medal in 1960 for the United States and his uncle was Dave Christian of 1980 Olympic fame.

Vladimir Tarasenko: Father Andrei was a right winger for 21 seasons in Russia as a former winger/elite league scoring champion (60 points in 46 games in 96-97) and Olympian (1994 Lillehammer games)and is now currently the head coach for Sibir Novosibirsk

Tayler Hall: Father Steve was an accomplished football player (wide receiver with three different CFL teams) and bobsledder.

Tyler Seguin: Dad captained the University of Vermont hockey team in 1987-88 and roomed with NHL star John LeClair, while mom played in the Brampton Canadettes developmental system.

Jack Campbell: Cousin, Marshall Campbell, a former high school goalie who went on to be a football player at Michigan State

Jeff Skinner: Parents met playing basketball while in law school. Older sisters (twins Andrea and Jennifer played at Cornell and Harvard University.)

Brock Beukeboom: Son of former NHL'er Jeff Beukeboom and cousin of Joe Nieuwendyk.

Calvin Pickard: Brother of Chet Pickard who is a draft choice of the Nashville Predators; 1st round - #18 overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Jeff Tinordi: Dad Mark played in the NHL for twelve season between 1987 and 1999.

Last edited by Drunken Crunker: 06-21-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Drunken Crunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Bob McKenzie's take on my darkhorse pick Beau (Dangles) Bennett:
Quote:
Bennett is also one of the true wild cards in this entire draft.

Ranked 32nd amongst North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, TSN's survey of NHL scouts provided a jarring range of results.

Three of 10 scouts labeled him a mid-second round or later prospect. Four scouts said he should be in the bottom third of the first round, but three others had him as a potential Top 10 pick. It's rare for there to be such wide divergence of opinion, but the physically immature but offensively gifted right winger who scored 120 points in the British Columbia Junior League generates that kind of debate.

Bennett and Sudbury Wolves' winger John McFarland and Russian prospect Kirill Kabanov are the quintessential wild cards of this draft.

TSN ranked Bennett at No. 19, but he could conceivably go a lot higher than that.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325285

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:53 AM
IComeInPeace

Wet,
I'm with you on Beau Bennett. I think he will be a good one. I like guys who have the skill set, and size (needs to fill out) is seen as his biggest handicap. You can count on him putting on some size over the next 3-4 years.
DU will be a good place for him to expand his game.

Collecting assets is more important than trying to draft the big bruising d-man we need right now. It will be 4-5 years before any d-man we draft in the 1st rd is ready to play a significant role for us in the playoffs.
Draft the best asset, and move a player, or prospect, for the d-man we need right now.

IComeInPeace is online now   Reply With Quote