Notices

SJ (Staubitz) MN (5th Rounder)

Old
06-22-2010, 03:44 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
man people are worked up about this.

Folks...he's going to be on the fourth line, taking a regular shift. Which is what we want, to be able to roll 4 lines.

He'll play policeman and keep things honest...for a 5th. Not a big deal.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
He's young, cheap, can get regular ice-time... what's the problem? This is the type of grit the team neads!

I see some saying in the early part of this thread that he's a D-man... incorrect, he's played RW his entire NHL career.

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-22-2010 at 04:36 PM.
TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
To be honest I would have preferred someone who scored a bit more and fought a bit less but was still tough, but that would likely cost more than a 5th round pick and a $575K cap hit. CF got good value, and he's a much better value than Boogaard.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
to be honest, I don't really know that guy but I really like the deal.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Lifer

Anyone that has season tickets to watch Boogaard isn't a hockey fan.

I loved watching him kick the **** out of people but seriously. He's not a hockey player.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU_raII1Jsk - Jared Boll vs Brad Staubitz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vKW7z7-VY0 - Garnet Exelby vs Brad Staubitz

My honest opinion, with these two fights listed on wild.com and the one i saw against Tootoo looks like this guy can hold his own ground and will provide some toughness for us and people will be able to fight him unlike derek boogaard
Notice in his fight vs Boll, the announcers said Staubitz made Shelley expendable in SJ... go figure, he just make Boogaard expendable here now as well!

Here's the one vs Tootoo...

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-22-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

You gotta love that Tootoo fight.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Here's Staubitz vs Boynton...

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old
06-22-2010, 05:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Talon, there's a Youtube link to embed videos.

[yt ]part after the v=[ /yt] (put together obviously)

Old
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Talon, there's a Youtube link to embed videos.

[yt ]part after the v=[ /yt] (put together obviously)
Not as easy as other Youtube embed codes, where you just put the entire url between the tags... no wonder it didn't work on the first try.

Fixed... thanks for the info!

Old
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Yeah it also ruins posting a video from a site other than Youtube, but it works.

Old
06-22-2010, 06:21 PM
State of Hockey

As I expected, he gets a 2-year deal. Disgusting. It's sad how our expectations are so low that we'll justify the trade because this player is likely better than arguably the worst player in the NHL (Boogy). That's not something to be proud about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
It's not like he THREW away the 1st. He traded one draft pick and a leaving UFA for an asset, so basically, one asset for one asset.
Count it up. That was two nice assets for one asset.

Staubitz isn't good enough to be worth ANY asset besides money. He's Craig Weller 2.0. Unfortunately Fletcher was somehow dumber than DR and traded for the player instead of scooping him up for nothing.

Quote:
Understand your point but I'm willing to see if Staubitz is more than just a borderline NHLer later during pre-season. I haven't see him play with my own eyes and I've heard comments where he can skate, forecheck and hit, and if he can do that on a regular basis, I'll see him more than just your 4th line fill-in, and will praise giving up a 5th for this RFA, who will stay with the team for more than just 1 year.
I probably watch more Sharks games than any team besides the Wild, so don't get your hopes up. Staubitz is nothing but a marginal 4th line grinder that finds the penalty box regularly for all the wrong reasons. Sharks fans are right on about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
So are you saying gold isn't a form of currency? Sounds like you misinterpreted his original comment.
Fletcher has never been consistent in his words. Gold is precious. Currency isn't. But I look to actions for clarity. This guy says that the draft table is where championships are built, and yet he trades away more picks and prospects that he adds. For a team that's near the very bottom in the quality and quantity of picks and prospects, that's mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
- MIN trades a fairly irrelevent pick for 3rd/4th line grit
- Staubitz comes at half the price of Boogaard
- While he isn't the "enforcer" Boogaard is, Staubitz can skate, forecheck, and pot a few goals.

What exactly is the problem? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota adds another gritty player either via trade or free agency. If the Wild can add a couple players who can skate, forecheck, fight & score a bit, how does that not improve the team going forward? Minnesota was soft, even with Boogaard mean mugging opponents from the bench 55 minutes per game.
The problem is clear. Staubitz was not worth giving up anything nor being signed for two years. Remember Craig Weller? We just grabbed an inferior version and actually traded for him. We can do much, much better than Brad Staubitz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
So what happens if next year or 2 years from now Fletcher somehow acquires an excess of picks in exchange for some of our diminishing assets (players)? Do we then ***** about not acquiring NHL talent?
The way this team is going, we'll probably be in love with that direction. We need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I would like to use this space to remind everyone that Fletcher doesn't believe in "re-building". He believes in "re-tooling".
Then he needs to get his head out of his rear and realize his squad is not good enough for a "re-tool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Beyond that, it's a FIFTH ROUNDER.

In my giant work in progress draft spreadsheet, I see that, since 1992, the odds of drafting a player that sticks in the NHL are only 11%, and the odds that player has more than a couple seasons drop down to 8%. The odds that player becomes a real impact guy is 4%.

So there's a 91% chance we benefit from this trade, a 5% chance it's a draw, and only a 4% chance San Jose benefits.
Don't care. As bad as the numbers are for 5ths, that's a single digit chance that we'll never draw for. Plus, it hurts our flexibility for draft day trades.

And your numbers are invalid. You're automatically assuming that Staubitz will actually help us win more games than someone else. clearly we don't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
To be honest I would have preferred someone who scored a bit more and fought a bit less but was still tough, but that would likely cost more than a 5th round pick and a $575K cap hit. CF got good value, and he's a much better value than Boogaard.
It's terrible value. Kyle Brodziak was purchased for not much more. Craig Weller was free.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
saywut

I think Aaron Voros is a better comparison than Craig Weller myself.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:30 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

okay...so the guy is a more energetic, tougher, but dumber version of weller or a tougher, less offensive version of voros.

i love how people are throwing out "we could have had so-and-so for free!" and including names like McGrattan and McIntyre (for the same kind of money). I am forced to go on sharks fans' opinions for my opinion of Staubitz' skating and even the ones that are happy to be rid of him seem to think his skating is alright. Right there he has more going for him than some of the "free" assets we might have picked up instead.

As others mentioned:
With the skating he's a little better suited to riding shotgun with Havlat or Koivu's line if the need arises.

Familiarity, too, with coach/management.

Dirt cheap, two years.

With the skating he should be better on the forecheck.

it isn't hard to figure out why they might have went this route even leaving aside the 5th round pick is more of a blindfold-and-dartboard luck affair than anything else.

aside: anyone have any idea why Tampa was ready to give us Konopka and a couple picks (not even 5th round!) for the rights to Boogaard? I think it was supposed to be a 3rd and 4th but Tampa didn't have the third?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:40 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post

aside: anyone have any idea why Tampa was ready to give us Konopka and a couple picks (not even 5th round!) for the rights to Boogaard? I think it was supposed to be a 3rd and 4th but Tampa didn't have the third?
I have no idea why someone would but I wish that the trade did work out.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Count it up. That was two nice assets for one asset.
Let me rephrase that then...

DR would give two long term assets for one long term asset
GMCF gave up one long term + 3 month player (Johnsson was leaving, he wasn't going to stay with the Wild) for one long term deal

Thoe are two nice assets except one of those assets was not going to be an asset in 3 months, lowering its value greatly.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 06-22-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Then he needs to get his head out of his rear and realize his squad is not good enough for a "re-tool".
You, sir, are correct. However, if you state this loudly and publicly, you get flamed by the masses.

Fletcher really should have performed a tear-down and stated as such instead of blowing more DR-style smoke up our *****.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:25 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
You, sir, are correct. However, if you state this loudly and publicly, you get flamed by the masses.

Fletcher really should have performed a tear-down and stated as such instead of blowing more DR-style smoke up our *****.
That decision probably came from higher up the ladder than Fletcher.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

I'm fine with this approach. At the moment, we already have good, young pieces to the organization: Koivu, Bouchard, Burns, Schultz and Clutterbuck. By the time we finish a big rebuilding, some of these will be gone.

A mix of drafting, trading and signing is needed, and we are doing that. Last few seasons, we've been doing little of each. Drafting sucked. Trading, we traded for nobodies (Simon, Fritsche) and signed the nobodies (Miettinen, Weller, Nolan)

Now all three factors are getting better, which would lead us to getting better sooner, but not at the expense of the future of the team. We are drafting better (Hackett, Haula), we are trading better (Latendresse, the rest are arguable) and we are signing better (Havlat, Zanon, Clutterbuck)

Not only are these three things getter better, we are also getting younger. In one year, we added Latendresse, Wellman, Prosser, Palmer and Barker. In that group, we have two potential top 6 forwards. By the time these guys develop, we'll have a good team of 25-30 year olds and with a better prospect pool from two drafts.

I may not being clear but my main point is, we are getting better in every department AND getting younger while not losing, which I support.

EDIT: Come on Bozak. Thats unfair I believe. DR style was to add 27+ aged players to the team in order to save the team from going to the bottom and that came in the !@# to bite him. GMCF is very different, he's adding young guys to the team 22-25 year olds. You are telling me that DR would go and get guys like Barker, Latendresse, Wellman, Prosser and Palmer??? No way! He would go out and trade our 3rd for some 3rd liner, and then trade our 2nd to move up the draft and pick someone there. GMCF has shown the total opposite, moving down and not too attached to his draft picks if an opportunity comes up

Last edited by Circulartheory: 06-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old
06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If we did a full rebuild, we'd have to move Koivu and Burns, wouldn't have brought in Havlat, and we'd be stuck watching a bunch of grinders trying to play hockey in front of Backstrom. Meanwhile, we'd probably end up with a pick in the 3-6 range because even though we were the 3rd worst team in the West, the East is always so much worse.

So tell me, would losing Koivu and Burns in order to move up a few draft spots and MAYBE get an impact player 2-3 years down the road be worth it?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
we are trading better (Latendresse, the rest are arguable)
Since I play devil's advocate half the time...

Really? Did anyone (besides Antti) think that this would work out as well as it did when it happened? Lats was drafted 45th over all. Pouliot was drafted 4th over all.

Just based on position, do you really think a 4th over all pick has less value than a 45th?

Fletcher *got lucky* in that trade.

It was a good change of scenery trade that really worked for the Wild and almost worked for Montreal. Although, there should have been one more thing coming in from Montreal than just Lats. Maybe a 5th rounder?

Old
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lats had proven a HELL of a lot more than Pouliot. It was a good even up trade, obviously in hindsight it looks like the Wild got the better of the deal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

If I'm being an ass...

Throw enough poop at the wall, some of it will stick.

Just like Eklund's rumors, if Fletcher makes enough trades, surely one of them will be good!

Old
06-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Since I play devil's advocate half the time...

Really? Did anyone (besides Antti) think that this would work out as well as it did when it happened? Lats was drafted 45th over all. Pouliot was drafted 4th over all.

Just based on position, do you really think a 4th over all pick has less value than a 45th?

Fletcher *got lucky* in that trade.

It was a good change of scenery trade that really worked for the Wild and almost worked for Montreal. Although, there should have been one more thing coming in from Montreal than just Lats. Maybe a 5th rounder?
Actually yes. Through his years in the Wild, he did nothing, and his value decreased and decreased over time. It was so low that when CF traded him, I wasn't expecting anything. Any player in return would probably do better than BP just sitting on the bench.

How did he get lucky? If it was BP for Lats + something else, you might have an argument, but this was one for one. That means, the key part of the trade WAS Latendresse.

This is CF's quote

Quote:
"Guillaume is a young, talented forward who has averaged 15 goals in each of his first three NHL seasons," said Fletcher of the 22-year-old who checks in at 6-foot-2, 230 pounds. "He will add size and a scoring punch to our roster."
This is Gainey's quote

Quote:
"The forwards are two players at the same stage in their careers who were still looking to make a place for themselves with the teams that drafted them. Often times a different environment, new teammates and a new situation can be beneficial for a player."
Both teams saw players that needed a change of environment and both who had potential. When traded, they both met that potential. So I don't see how he got LUCKY! If you basing it on purely where they got drafted, thats wrong. BP's value was at an all time low and was surprised CF could even find a trading partner. If you HAD to call him lucky, I would say he was lucky to find a player in a similar position as BP to trade for.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Dr Jan Itor

I don't understand what all the arguing is about.

I would think getting the final piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle would be a joyous occasion.

I guess I was wrong.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote