HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec signs 6 year/30 million deal (includes NTC)

Old
06-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Papa Bear

vCash: 500
For reference:

Lupul = 4.25M
J. Blake = 4M
Ryder = 4M
P. Bergeron = 4.75M
Antropov = 4.062M
Tim Connolly = 4.5M
Pomminville = 5.3M
Langkow = 4.5M
Christian Huselius = 4.75M
Ribs = 5.00M
Horcoff = 5.5M
Handzus = 4.00M
PM Bouchard = 4.08M
David Legwand = 4.5M
Martin Erat = 4.5
Chris Drury = 7M
Mike Fisher = 4.2M
Andy McDonald = 4.7M
Ryan Malone = 4.5M
Ryan Kesler = 5M
and best of all
Michael Nylander = 4.875M

Check the stats of these players over their careers (or the last 5 years for the older ones). How many have much better stats than Plecks? How many have been dominant in the playoffs?
You think his agent does not know this? If Mike "the shot blocker and hands of stone" Komisarek got 4.5M as a one dimensional player, Pleks is a good value at 5M.

We could argue about term, but so is life of doing business in the NHL.

Finally, has anyone who thinks it was a bad signing (and there are many out there) mentioned a single player that the Habs could have realistically replaced Pleks by?

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
For reference:

Lupul = 4.25M
J. Blake = 4M
Ryder = 4M
P. Bergeron = 4.75M
Antropov = 4.062M
Tim Connolly = 4.5M
Pomminville = 5.3M
Langkow = 4.5M
Ribs = 5.00M
Horcoff = 5.5M
Handzus = 4.00M
PM Bouchard = 4.08M
David Legwand = 4.5M
Martin Erat = 4.5
Chris Drury = 7M
Mike Fisher = 4.2M
Andy McDonald = 4.7M
Ryan Malone = 4.5M
Ryan Kesler = 5M
and best of all
Michael Nylander = 4.875M

Check the stats of these players over their careers (or the last 5 years for the older ones). How many have much better stats than Plecks? How many have been dominant in the playoffs?
You think his agent does not know this? If Mike "the shot blocker and hands of stone" Komisarek got 4.5M as a one dimensional player, Pleks is a good value at 5M.

We could argue about term, but so is life of doing business in the NHL.

Finally, has anyone who thinks it was a bad signing (and there are many out there) mentioned a single player that the Habs could have realistically replaced Pleks by?
You're wasting your time. Some Hab fans are dillusional and think anybody else's rejects could come in and outplay our best guys.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Bieber fever

Playing on the PK is very easy.....most of the player can do that and it's easy to look ''good'' when your goalie is on fire.

lol @ ''plekanec play the hard minute , he shuted down crosby , oveckin ect'' He didn't . Halak did all the job facing 40 shots every game. How can plekanec shuted down top trio in playoff but halak was our MVP .......something don't work here.

His contrat is good tho.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
JustAHabFan

This is a good signing for the Habs. If Pleks become FA, there will be a few teams which want to give him 5M or even more per year. Then who is going to replace him? Marleau at 6.5-7M per year (Habs had to pay more than that to get his service)? Lombardi at 3.5-4M per year? We will have no chance to sign Marleau and there is no way we know if Lombardi can center Camalleri. We know we can pay Pleks at 5M and we also know that he has good chemistry with his winger. So what is the problem?

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Playing on the PK is very easy.....most of the player can do that and it's easy to look ''good'' when your goalie is on fire.

lol @ ''plekanec play the hard minute , he shuted down crosby , oveckin ect'' He didn't . Halak did all the job facing 40 shots every game. How can plekanec shuted down top trio in playoff but halak was our MVP .......something don't work here.

His contrat is good tho.
It's easy to play on the PK, but it's hard to be one of the best. Plekanec is GREAT on the PK. Probably our best player in this situation. He's fast and intelligent. Denying this would mean you don't know much about hockey.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:01 PM
LastRide

Contract is fine. Don't like the NTC though especially for a 6 year deal. I am sure he would wave it for specific teams if things get ugly.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:01 PM
icerocket

1. Get rid of Plekanec
2. Replace him with?
3. ?????
4. Profit!

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
The difference between Pleks and them is why Pleks isn't locked up for 12 years. The point is no one's stupid enough to lock up someone for decade if they don't think he's a franchise player. Not only that, no player signs that long a deal for peanuts. So what the **** are you saying read between the lines? You want to drop the cap hit no? If not 3.25 then by how much? Can you sign him at that rate? Is the million your saving WORTH locking him up for 12 years?!?!?
I guess I need to be captain obvious with you guys.
The point was it's a bad deal to have pleks at a 5M cap hit while other teams sign Hossa, Keith, etc.

There is no way this thing should have been 6 years and with a NTC to boot.

Now do you understand what I am saying?

Then I added that since we are getting it up the ars, we might as well go all the way and sign Pleks to a 10-12 year deal in order to at least save on the cap. ( for you, that means we are ****ed either way. )

now, I can't multi quote on this phone but yes I prefer Vini at 7 then Pleks at 5. I also much rather get Franzen ( so you really think this guy is a francise player???? Riiight!
) at 4.

Pleks at something from 3 to 3.75 cap hit would have been the price for me. Over that, might as well give everything got to land Kovalchuk.

SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
The point was it's a bad deal to have pleks at a 5M cap hit while other teams sign Hossa, Keith, etc.
First, see my earlier post. Numbers are not as overwhelming as you make it out to be.
Second, Hossa did not want to sign with Montreal and Keith was never available as a UFA.

Quote:

Then I added that since we are getting it up the ars, we might as well go all the way and sign Pleks to a 10-12 year deal in order to at least save on the cap. ( for you, that means we are ****ed either way. )

now, I can't multi quote on this phone but yes I prefer Vini at 7 then Pleks at 5. I also much rather get Franzen ( so you really think this guy is a francise player???? Riiight!
) at 4.
I think most would prefer Vinni over Pleks. In fact, the Habs twice thought they had a deal in place to acquire him. But both were vetoed and now the point is moot. It's time to move on.
And Franzen was never available.

Quote:

Pleks at something from 3 to 3.75 cap hit would have been the price for me. Over that, might as well give everything got to land Kovalchuk.
I don't get how you get that cap number without going with a life time contract. John Madden got 2.75 for 23 points and essentially a fourth line role.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
You are dreaming in techni-color if you think we can sign Pleks for 3-3.75M. I was thinking about 4-5M for Pleks and the number come in at the higher end.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Without a guy to do Plekanec's job, you can forget competitiveness. A lottery pick is a likely result. And Pleky's job is not easy to do. We don't have any kids that can realistically fill it. Lombardi sure as hell can't. Ladd won't even come close to making up for it.
We can't compete with him there! He's a non-issue in my book. He's not feisty lile Gio, doesn't control the play like Gomez, doesn't score on a regular basis like Cammy. For a center, he can't even manage to win faceoffs. And is not very comfortable along the boards. All he does is being a good passer and having a good defensive mind.

Quote:
But then again, you seem to be ready to blow it up and tank.

I think your problem is that you don't actually understand what Plekanec does or why it is important.

So, my question becomes: who do you feel is the player in the NHL who is most comparable to Plekanec? On the UFA market, or just in general.
Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Pominville, guys like that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We can't compete with him there! He's a non-issue in my book. He's not feisty lile Gio, doesn't control the play like Gomez, doesn't score on a regular basis like Cammy. For a center, he can't even manage to win faceoffs. And is not very comfortable along the boards. All he does is being a good passer and having a good defensive mind.

Pominville ain't a center, and PM Bouchard? You really think he's as good as pleks?

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
Pominville ain't a center, and PM Bouchard? You really think he's as good as pleks?
This guy might never play another NHL game again.

Pleks is good, one of the best second line center in the NHL... But not 5 million $ good ! And certainly not 6 years with a NTC.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Just a reference:

Pomminville = 5.3M
Langkow = 4.5M
Ribs = 5.00M
Horcoff = 5.5M
PM Bouchard = 4.08M

Old
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I figured he was going to get between 5-6m if he tested the market, so I am satisfied with the figure. People shouldn't be surprised, we basically dealt Halak to save dough to sign Pleks and keep our 2 top line duos in tact (Pleks/Cammy and Gomez/Gionta).

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:26 PM
znk

Quote:
I don't think he's the kind of player that makes ANY difference if we make the playoffs or not.

1-He's not dominant
2-He's not a punishable presence in our top six

He's a resourceful player though. Would be perfect for the third line.

I'm glad that the people on the other side of an argument i'm in are the one acting like a neanderthals in a debate by throwing insults.
Wow...I would assume you are trolling because the alternative would be sad.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
Just a reference:

Pomminville = 5.3M
Langkow = 4.5M
Ribs = 5.00M
Horcoff = 5.5M
PM Bouchard = 4.08M
He's better than all those guys and makes less than half of them.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Easily replaceable? Centers who can put up points while serving as the #1 tough-minute option are easily replaceable?

Not by a long, long shot. Players who can do Plekanec's job are very rare throughout the NHL. There was maybe one available on the UFA market (Marleau, though he'll likely not even hit the market) and options via trade were also limited.

And a UFA-aged guy who can do Pleky's job is likely to cost MORE than 5 mil, not less.
Plek is also pretty young (27) so it's not like he'd hit the market like Koivu at 33-34.
Teams are craving for young centers and to get one as good as plek is never a bad thing. Even more considering he'll only be 33-34 at the end of his contract so it's not like he'll be washed up (hopefully)

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:00 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I like Pleks a lot but have mixed emotions about the deal only because the Habs have two smallish centers seemingly for a few years to come. Could PG get a trade done for Spezza in exchange for Gomez? I've actually always liked Scott Gomez but I read something on Bob McKenzie's twitter the other day that has me thinking. It implied that Sharp is not available because the Chicago's MO is to maintain strength down the middle. Just thought it was interesting.

Anyway I'm much more comfortable that this deal is done as opposed to not.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
plekanec makes 5 mill just like ribeiro does and they both put up near the same amount of stats, but plekanec provides TOP NOTCH PK and defense and speed that ribs does not

im happy

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

) at 4.

But what you have to understand is that Plekanec is only 27. His contract will end when he'll be 33 years old. At 33, he will still be a very good player.

Hossa has a 5 million cap hit only because he's signed till he's like 40. If he was looking for a 3 years contract, he could have had 7 millions. It's the same thing for players like Keith, Luongo, Pronger and company.

So in order to give Plekanec a lower cap it, we would have had to sign him for like 12 years...not really something we want to do...

So after all, Plekanec got the money he deserved. 4.5 would have been perfect, but we shouldn't complain for 500 K. And don't compare his 5 millions to other players 5 millions because it's like comparing apple and orange...

Old
06-23-2010, 11:05 PM
MathMan

Quote:
We can't compete with him there! He's a non-issue in my book. He's not feisty lile Gio, doesn't control the play like Gomez, doesn't score on a regular basis like Cammy.
All he does is play tough minutes against top opposition, taking oodles of defensive faceoffs in the process, and drives positive results -- eg. Pleks is a guy who outscores first lines.

That's about THE most valuable skill in hockey...

Quote:
They're not even close.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

too much both money and years and the NTC was a bad move..... BRUTAL

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Rib contract was signed when the SCap was lower.
So proportionally, Plek is lower.
Plus, Plek would probably had made 6-6.5 on the UFA market.

BTW, Rib improved his stats at 27. His best season prior was 65 points.
I have not given up on Plek getting a ppg season.
I don't expect a guy with Plek's ethics to decrease his performance.
Given two very good wingers for a full season, what's the ceilling?
Good question...

I like Kostitsyn but we could benefit from having someone else at that spot (as long as that X player got decent skills). Cammalleri is Cammalleri. He'll always be good...so we have that duo. With another good winger, yeah, I guess Plekanec could be a PPG player. He's only 27!

Old
06-23-2010, 11:56 PM
axman88

Does the signing of Thomas JAGR mean that Jaromir Plekanec will be signing in mtl too?

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote