HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Sean Avery*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
And we will have that same goalie.

Our defense (which Lundqvist will be a part of) isn't broken... our offense is.
Ugh just looked at those Forward lines... that's just pathetic. With only 910,000 to work with seems like the Rangers are screwed. I am no capologist and really don't understand that aspect of the NHL very much. Just think if Gaborik had some help... the Rangers would be scary again.

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:37 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettMcMahon View Post
Ugh just looked at those Forward lines... that's just pathetic. With only 910,000 to work with seems like the Rangers are screwed. I am no capologist and really don't understand that aspect of the NHL very much. Just think if Gaborik had some help... the Rangers would be scary again.
you do realize i put kovalchuk in that projected line-up right? so there's your help for gaborik......

I wouldn't call those lines I made up pathetic either

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
you do realize i put kovalchuk in that projected line-up right? so there's your help for gaborik......

Ha! Stupid me... actually I didn't even notice that. I just glanced over the remaining cap and quickly through the lines. My bad!

Looks like I need to read a bit more before I type

If the Rangers got Kovalchuk that would be awesome. I only watched about 30-35 Rangers game last year and had a blast watching Gaborik (and Avery of course) and just wondered what could be if you added another pure scorer.

Blue line is fine... Hank is possibly the best goaltender in the league (people could debate that for hours)... sprinkle in a hint of offense and you have yourself a contender.

Old
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't see any scenario where our offense ends up better than by adding Kovalchuk

Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - Anisimov - MZA/Callahan
Avery - Drury - Callahan/MZA
Prust - Boyle - Shelley/Byers/Weise

Better than with the second-tier UFAs: Plekanec, Marleau, etc.

Better than with bringing back/in old guys on short term deals: Prospal/Demitra/etc.

Better than with trading our own players/prospects/picks for available players: Horton, Sharp, even Spezza.

Kovalchuk is the best solution, both short, and more importantly, long term.

Of course he could choose to go to LA, Russia or somewhere else. I only advocate making a competitive offer, with a cap hit at $9.5 million or less (obviously preferably less).

Look at the two teams in the Stanley Cup finals this year... both abused 40+ year old contracts to bring cap hits in line (although Pronger's hasn't started yet).

Kovalchuk's 27 years old... we could sign him until he's 42 (15 year deal!) to bring the cap hit down just like Hossa/Pronger.

Years 1-8: $11.5m per year (until he is 36 years old).
Years 10-12: $6m (until he is 39)
Years 12-15: $1m (until he is 42)

He walks away with $92m over 8 years, $110m over 10, and $116 over 11. He almost definitely retires before the end, but we will have had him for his prime. The beauty? Total Cap Hit of $7.533m. Can't see any team beating that. Give him a full NTC, but not a NMC. If he wants a shorter term (no way he would, imo), then the $ amount will obviously be less.

He may go elsewhere, but at least we tried to improve. And it's only Dolan's money!

EDIT: Not to mention the cap will probably be astronomically higher in 5, 10, or 15 years.

Last edited by azrok22: 06-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.
azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Sean Avery*

Kovalchuk and Gaborik on the same PP line... MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Old
06-19-2010, 05:01 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
That defense is at least equal to our defense last year. That defense earned us a top-10 GAA.
Our defense as it stands dictates the way we played offense.

Remember the beginning of the season when we gave up a lot of goals per game, specifically in november? It seemed it was always at least 3 against. The falling out happened after we lost back to back games to Pittsburgh, with them scoring 8 goals, then 5 goals the next night.

Tortarella had to back off his "safe is death" mentality because we don't have the defense equipped to play that mentality.

Our defense needs a vet that can make people hurt in our zone just as bad as we need a top 6 playmaker to dish the puck out (which, IMO, is a much more pressing need than another goalscorer. We have plenty of guys that could reach 20-30 goals on the 2nd line on the roster or in the system, it's a matter of a guy being able to set them up for them. You DONT have a lot of guys that can create on their own, which is why everyone wants Kovalchuk, I get that, but you add a playmaker and we can work with what we've got at a much lower cost.)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:01 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
I don't see any scenario where our offense ends up better than by adding Kovalchuk

Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - Anisimov - MZA/Callahan
Avery - Drury - Callahan/MZA
Prust - Boyle - Shelley/Byers/Weise

Better than with the second-tier UFAs: Plekanec, Marleau, etc.

Better than with bringing back/in old guys on short term deals: Prospal/Demitra/etc.

Better than with trading our own players/prospects/picks for available players: Horton, Sharp, even Spezza.

Kovalchuk is the best solution, both short, and more importantly, long term.

Of course he could choose to go to LA, Russia or somewhere else. I only advocate making a competitive offer, with a cap hit at $9.5 million or less (obviously preferably less).

Look at the two teams in the Stanley Cup finals this year... both abused 40+ year old contracts to bring cap hits in line (although Pronger's hasn't started yet).

Kovalchuk's 27 years old... we could sign him until he's 42 (15 year deal!) to bring the cap hit down just like Hossa/Pronger.

Years 1-8: $11.5m per year (until he is 36 years old).
Years 10-12: $6m (until he is 39)
Years 12-15: $1m (until he is 42)

He walks away with $92m over 8 years, $110m over 10, and $116 over 11. He almost definitely retires before the end, but we will have had him for his prime. The beauty? Total Cap Hit of $7.533m. Can't see any team beating that. Give him a full NTC, but not a NMC. If he wants a shorter term (no way he would, imo), then the $ amount will obviously be less.

He may go elsewhere, but at least we tried to improve. And it's only Dolan's money!

EDIT: Not to mention the cap will probably be astronomically higher in 5, 10, or 15 years.
i like your style haha that's a great front loaded contract

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
i like your style haha that's a great front loaded contract
That is a pretty good contract, but I think it could be less of a hit if you did it more Hossa-esque... Maybe 10-10.5 mil a year for the first 8 instead of 11? How much does that make his cap hit?

For the love of God... please just keep Kovalchuk away from Nashville/New Jersey/Vancouver... I can't watch him play on another trapping team.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:05 PM
azrok22

The key is that Sather's spoken out about the 40+ contracts in the past. I would hope he realized Kovalchuk's the type of player you do that type of deal for.

You lock up Kovalchuk at a term of $7.533 and you've got some room to play for another upgrade (or two) - ie: bringing back Prospal, if desired, or getting a better vet d-man.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettMcMahon View Post
That is a pretty good contract, but I think it could be less of a hit if you did it more Hossa-esque... Maybe 10-10.5 mil a year for the first 8 instead of 11? How much does that make his cap hit?

For the love of God... please just keep Kovalchuk away from Nashville/New Jersey/Vancouver... I can't watch him play on another trapping team.
Well, you'd be cutting $8m total from the deal (if you reduce the first 8 years to $10.5) - so a cap saving of .533. His cap hit would then be $7m.

Taking the first 8 years down to $10m would be a savings of $.8m per year for a cap hit of $6.733.

EDIT: Which would be great, but I'd be more than ecstatic just to get him at $7.533, and as I said, would go as high as a $9.5m cap hit if he wanted shorter term for some reason.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
azrok22

To the poster a few pages back saying Kovalchuk wouldn't come here because if he didn't want to compete for a couple years he would've stayed in Atlanta.

You ignore the two most important things:

1) Stability - there is no risk the Rangers will move, ever. Atlanta is bleeding money; there's no guarantee that team isn't sold, and while they have a crazy arena contract that makes moving very unlikely, there's no guarantee.

Bettman loves expanding south, so how happy will Kovalchuk be in 7 years when Atlanta moves to Cuba or Ecuador?

2) Trying to win, regardless of sucess - the Rangers will at least try to compete. They'll spend to the cap and spare no expense to at least try to win. Atlanta can't; the Rangers simply have a bigger pie to divide among players. If Kovalchuk took his slice in Atlanta, the rest of the team was left splitting crumbs. In NY (or anywhere spending to the cap), there's still some pie left to pay the rest of the team.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
That defense is at least equal to our defense last year. That defense earned us a top-10 GAA.
Quote:
equal if not better

staal-girardi (more progress = better this year). 09-10 staal girardi
mdz rozi (rozi is solid as always, another year for mdz=better) 09-10 rozi mdz
foster sangs (pretty good bottom pair, both offensive minded though) 09-10 redden-erikson/gilroy
got to assume foster and sangs can do at least an equal job to what redden-erikson did
ok, I see your point. anyone replacing redden will make our defense better. I guess that bottom pair of foster sangs makes me worried. they are both offense first guys. foster is pretty big though. foster mcdounagh sounds pretty awesome for a bottom pairing. or rather foster/sangs-defensive anchor. i dunno really. are there any pairings in the nhl where two offensive d-men have worked? maybe i am not giving those two enough credit for their d-game.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:39 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
ok, I see your point. anyone replacing redden will make our defense better. I guess that bottom pair of foster sangs makes me worried. they are both offense first guys. foster is pretty big though. foster mcdounagh sounds pretty awesome for a bottom pairing. or rather foster/sangs-defensive anchor. i dunno really. are there any pairings in the nhl where two offensive d-men have worked? maybe i am not giving those two enough credit for their d-game.
Fair enough. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that bottom pair. My support was for the general principal of:

Staal - Rozi
DZ - Girardi
Battle among prospects/low-profile d-man (best of 2-3 of: Gilroy, Sanguinetti, McDonagh, Sauer, Valentenko, Potter, low-profile UFA).

Old
06-23-2010, 09:29 AM
OldStanley

This may have already been answered but...

Anisimov

2007/07/11 Signed by the New York Rangers to a three-year entry-level contract.
http://i.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5958

How is he not a RFA this summer?

OldStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

I have stated my opinion on Kovalchuk many times, however, the most annoying thing probably, is seeing how many people that cant properly use "then/than" around here.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStanley View Post
This may have already been answered but...

Anisimov

2007/07/11 Signed by the New York Rangers to a three-year entry-level contract.
http://i.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5958

How is he not a RFA this summer?
If a player under 20 plays no more than 10 games in the NHL (for a skater - not sure how many for a goaltender), and gets sent down to the CHL/AHL/Europe, the ELC 'rolls over' a year. After age 20, the years start ticking down no matter what.

Senorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Who Will Backup The King?

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
I have stated my opinion on Kovalchuk many times, however, the most annoying thing probably, is seeing how many people that cant properly use "then/than" around here.
So true.

And how about the people who can't properly use a simple contraction like cant?

Glass houses, my friend, glass houses. Better put the stones down.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote