HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz Part II

Old
06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Just an FYI
On Bird's eye view
Ted Bird ex of chom now doing spots on CTV mtl
Just did a piece on the Halak trade

He drew parallels to Steve Penney and the run that he once had for the Habs, with a young Patrick Roy waiting in the wings.
He did mention that in no way was he saying that Halak was a "steve penney" but he figures that the situations were close enough.
Penney melted into oblivion where Roy went on to win to cups.
Yet had Penney been moved after his fabled run that fateful spring the fans would've pretty much have had the same reaction as the fanbase is having now.
The only difference being that we moved halak(with return) to make room for that "pedigree" goalie
Penney that's another one.

Fleury, Huet, Hackett, Theodore and now Penney... le sigh.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:20 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Halak is a UFA the first of July . Gauthier should give him an offersheet
he is an RFA, not a UFA...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:22 PM
sampollock

when price gets a string of wins together this thread will be quieter then the leaf parade route.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Penney that's another one.

Fleury, Huet, Hackett, Theodore and now Penney... le sigh.
So how does fleury fit in with the rest?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
panorama01*

Quote:
Just an FYI
On Bird's eye view
Ted Bird ex of chom now doing spots on CTV mtl
Just did a piece on the Halak trade

He drew parallels to Steve Penney and the run that he once had for the Habs, with a young Patrick Roy waiting in the wings.
He did mention that in no way was he saying that Halak was a "steve penney" but he figures that the situations were close enough.
Penney melted into oblivion where Roy went on to win to cups.
Yet had Penney been moved after his fabled run that fateful spring the fans would've pretty much have had the same reaction as the fanbase is having now.
The only difference being that we moved halak(with return) to make room for that "pedigree" goalie

Patrick Roy was not with the Canadiens when Penney had his run. They drafted two goalies immediately after the 1984 semifinal appearance and Roy was one of them. Rick Wamsley was also shipped to St. Louis immediately after Penney's 1984 performance.

Penney was traded in 1986 for Brian Hayward.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:36 PM
AntonCH

Other than Vokoun, habs seem to know when a goalie hits his expiry date
the deal is done, lets hope Price plays to his potential sooner rather than later

Old
06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
So how does fleury fit in with the rest?
Another guy that was compared to Halak to show how Halak is a one year wonder. Just read the article a few pages back.

Old
06-21-2010, 08:01 PM
AntonCH

I don't think that Halak qualifies as a one-hit wonder
I don't think that the habs believe that either

I do think that the habs believe that Halak will not ultimately be as good as Price. Combine that with the fact that we needed cap relief this year so we can try to sign Plekanec and Halak's fate was sealed.

Given a choice, I would've kept both

Old
06-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
when price gets a string of wins together this thread will be quieter then the leaf parade route.
LoL....That parade route will be quiet for another century.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
I don't think that Halak qualifies as a one-hit wonder
I don't think that the habs believe that either

I do think that the habs believe that Halak will not ultimately be as good as Price. Combine that with the fact that we needed cap relief this year so we can try to sign Plekanec and Halak's fate was sealed.

Given a choice, I would've kept both
I agree but i've seen about a dozen comparisons from Carey to Raycroft to Theodore to Huet/Hackett/Penney lately to justify the choice the habs made. Everyone's chippin' in with their retarded comparisons, it's getting silly.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
How about a certain Mr. Roy, umm?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
unless PG lied to us all, pretty sure i heard him emphazise on numerous occasions that Eller is going to be playing next year and he sees him in top 6 role in the next few years. so even if plecks is there, hes going to be bottom 6 this year. or so thats what i understood for PG interviews.
Just don't get your hopes too high.

Old
06-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
the deal is done, lets hope Price plays to his potential sooner rather than later
For all the comparisons to be made the Vokoun example is the most relevant. It's obvious we jettisoned the wrong guy then and it's equally obvious now.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
For all the comparisons to be made the Vokoun example is the most relevant. It's obvious we jettisoned the wrong guy then and it's equally obvious now.
And how many comparisons people have made between Halak and Vokoun in the last few years? A lot. It's almost like destiny. I hope they made the best decision this time.

Old
06-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And how many comparisons people have made between Halak and Vokoun in the last few years? A lot. It's almost like destiny. I hope they made the best decision this time.
Well jeez how many comparison did people make with price then he had a ****** year, but its a pro-halak argument so its gospel.

The best part is that people think St. Louis is a stanley cup contender now. **** off.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Well jeez how many comparison did people make with price then he had a ****** year, but its a pro-halak argument so its gospel.

The best part is that people think St. Louis is a stanley cup contender now. **** off.
St Louis finished with more points than the Habs. And the Habs got in the Conference finals with a hot goalie. That goalie is now with St Louis. Anything is possible.

Old
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Perrah

Quote:
St Louis finished with more points than the Habs. And the Habs got in the Conference finals with a hot goalie. That goalie is now with St Louis. Anything is possible.
Unless he scores more goals than mason and conklin did there standing wont change much.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:06 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
How about a certain Mr. Roy, umm?
Well, he did actually demand to be traded, you can hardly blame the timing of the trade on the Habs.

But there were a series of questionable decisions leading up to the trade.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Habs got into the playoffs thanks to an OT loss to the Leafs, a game in which Halak started...let's just say the Habs lose that game, does anyone here not like this trade anymore?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Another guy that was compared to Halak to show how Halak is a one year wonder. Just read the article a few pages back.
I don't know if the article is explicitly saying that Halak is a one-year wonder, but it does touch on an idea that doesn't get talked about much: the risk St. Louis takes in acquiring Halak. They'll have to pay a good amount of money for a goalie that could end up being simply 'good' most of the time. Its not as though he has a HUGE track record of success, although he has been great to amazing during a few stretches in his young career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Habs got into the playoffs thanks to an OT loss to the Leafs, a game in which Halak started...let's just say the Habs lose that game, does anyone here not like this trade anymore?
Lol... I almost forgot about this. Funny thinking that the Habs, with Halak in nets and playing average at best, earned what, 2 points in their last 3 games to squeak into the playoffs. If we had one fewer point and missed the playoffs, this would be an entirely different discussion. Fun to think about...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I don't know if the article is explicitly saying that Halak is a one-year wonder, but it does touch on an idea that doesn't get talked about much: the risk St. Louis takes in acquiring Halak. They'll have to pay a good amount of money for a goalie that could end up being simply 'good' most of the time. Its not as though he has a HUGE track record of success, although he has been great to amazing during a few stretches in his young career.

Lol... I almost forgot about this. Funny thinking that the Habs, with Halak in nets and playing average at best, earned what, 2 points in their last 3 games to squeak into the playoffs. If we had one fewer point and missed the playoffs, this would be an entirely different discussion. Fun to think about...
sorry you missed the 2 shutouts in 2 nights against philly and Buffalo.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
How on earth is it the best comparison? Vokoun played one game with the Habs and was not particularly good in Fredericton. He was also pretty much given away.

The only similarity is that they were both picked in the 9th round.

This past decade, Montreal's goaltending has never been an issue. Going from Moog, Hackett, Theodore, Huet, Price, Halak, etc, goaltending has always been a strong point.

When we've traded these goaltenders away, they never did what they were able to do in Montreal. I don't know if it's the system or what it is, but Montreal seems to work well for goaltenders.

We had two great goalie prospects. One accomplished more in the NHL than the other and was a little bit older. He also would be asking for more money. Montreal could use that money to bolster their lineup and were able to get a bluechip (or at least near-bluechip) prospect that would be cheap for a few years in return.

This allows them to slightly weaken one of our strong points (goaltending) to fill a hole somewhere else in the lineup.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 50
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=105385

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=73254

He's not even a lock on Hamilton top line

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
PG fully expects him to be in the habs lineup this year and top 6 in next years. (interview of PG after trade)

so i wouldnt expect Eller to start in AHL.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote