HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Two words: Fernando Pisani.
Badda-boom badda-BING

Old
06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
I think if we are looking at someone, it is probably one of Boston's players. They just moved a defenseman and acquired a forward....

It makes sense.

06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Badda-boom badda-BING
put it top shelf where you put the pizza

Old
06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think if we are looking at someone, it is probably one of Boston's players. They just moved a defenseman and acquired a forward....

It makes sense.
Patrice ?

Old
06-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Patrice ?
Id take Bergeron....What makes you think they would get rid of him of all players though

Old
06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'd take any of these guys, but I doubt it'll happen. If we do trade away some prospects, it'll be for players like boyd or grebeshkov. "Huge move" is not in Poile's vocabulary, which might be a good thing

Old
06-23-2010, 04:07 PM
JamboPred

Quote:

It makes sense.
I would like to see Blake wheeler in our line-up next year

Old
06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
I would like to see Blake wheeler in our line-up next year
That's an expensive 20 or so goals.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
That's an expensive 20 or so goals.
True. However, he is young, big-bodied, very talented. He had a fabulous rookie season, with a bit of a sophmore slump. You could envision him doing some pretty special things in this league....I would be willing to take a risk on him. I don't know that he is worth 4.5 million dollars at this point though, which would probably negate him as the player token was alluding to in his rumor.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Wheeler... I have my doubts about his attitude after the way he ditched Phoenix. He gives me the impression he doesn't want to play for a small market team. He's a heckuva player though.

Buffugly to Atlanta. Thank god he's out of the conference. Funny enough, Eklund called this trade too.

Old
06-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Soundgarden

Thank god he's out of the divison.

Old
06-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Atlanta just really really helped Chicago out. Heck of a return for the Hawks....regardless of their situation.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Atlanta just really really helped Chicago out. Heck of a return for the Hawks....regardless of their situation.
I don't think it's horrible for Atlanta. Sure, Buff is probably not going to light the world on fire there. But, the 24th overall pick in a weak draft doesn't hold a ton of value. We gave up nearly as much for a month of Brendan Witt.

Buyfuglien scored 11g in 22 games for the hawk these playoffs, very near tops in the league. I think it creates a hole on the Hawks, especially the "playoff Hawks."

Chicago did good to dump Sopel's salary, but Atlanta can take on the salary. Marty Reasoner is also a cheaper replacement for John Madden.

IMO, Chicago stands more to lose, unless the 24th pick turns into a world beater. But, they had to shed some salary.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Dulz, they got a 1st a 2nd and a good prospect in Morin. Sopel and Eager are dead weight in my books....

Old
06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Dulz, they got a 1st a 2nd and a good prospect in Morin. Sopel and Eager are dead weight in my books....
I don't know much about Morin so I can't speak there... A late 2nd in a weak draft is like rolling 20-sided dice, IMO.

I think they both did well. For the Hawks, they won't really know how it affects them until the playoffs. Will there be a hole without Buff? But, they shed their salary and got some younger assets with potential.

For Atlanta, they get a proven guy still with potential for 2nd-tier assets, IMO. Eager and Sopel are likley 12th forward and 6-7 dman.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:46 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

why does everyone think they are lost bc of byfuglien? they have kyle beach in the wings

Old
06-23-2010, 09:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
why does everyone think they are lost bc of byfuglien? they have kyle beach in the wings
Beach isn't Buf.

Old
06-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I don't know much about Morin so I can't speak there... A late 2nd in a weak draft is like rolling 20-sided dice, IMO.

I think they both did well. For the Hawks, they won't really know how it affects them until the playoffs. Will there be a hole without Buff? But, they shed their salary and got some younger assets with potential.

For Atlanta, they get a proven guy still with potential for 2nd-tier assets, IMO. Eager and Sopel are likley 12th forward and 6-7 dman.
I am not disagreeing entirely. My point was simply that Atlanta played right into the Hawk's hand. Chicago was legitimately in a very very bad place cap-wise. They got a pretty ideal return, with little if any decrease in value, despite having relatively no wiggle room or negotiating power. Good for them. Good for Atlanta to get who they wanted.....

Old
06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Beach isn't Buf.
true, he has top six talent

Old
06-23-2010, 10:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
true, he has top six talent
I rarely noticed him on the ice the few times I watched Rockford play live this season. He still has to develop for another year or two in the AHL.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Atlanta got fleeced. Byfuglien is becoming one of the most overrated guys in the game based on a great playoff performance in which he was able to cash in by being the fat dude in front of the net while Kane\Toews\Sharp\Hossa\Keith\Seabrook fired pucks that way. Take away the playoffs, and he's a 3.5 million dollar 17 goal scorer.

Jeremy Morin is a very nice prospect, by the way. Second round pick (that I would have rather had over Budish, btw). Lead Thrashers rookies in scoring through their rookie camp, then had a fantastic year in Kitchener. The picks just make it worse. Eager and Sopel are empty salary. This trade is essentially a first, a second, and a high end offensive prospect for an expensive third liner.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:50 AM
kivaerijo

totally agree neck. kind of pisses you off, doesnt it? some trades make no sense

Old
06-24-2010, 06:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, I can already see the post "Poile wanted to pick somone up in the offseason but the asking prices were just too high"

Buff is the best player in the deal, while Atlanta gave up alot, they got what they feel they needed.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:56 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
lol, I can already see the post "Poile wanted to pick somone up in the offseason but the asking prices were just too high"

Buff is the best player in the deal, while Atlanta gave up alot, they got what they feel they needed.
are you saying if we'd given up a first, a second, Goc and Budish for what Atlanta got you'd be happy?

Old
06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
You quabble about regular season and I'll take playoff performance anyday over regular season. I know we don't do well in the playoffs so all we have is regular season. Our stars never play up to the expectation in the playoffs. I envision a power play with Hornqvist and Buff in front of the net. Weber and Suter on the point. Not Sully. Do you see Ward scoring 11 goals in the playoffs. But they won't offer him to us anyways
Byfuglien has value, but this playoffs has overstated it. The issue I have is that the kid played 15 or so really good to great games and it is expected to completely override the previous 280 games of his career. 280 games where he was largely mediocre.

Now, there are other factors at play, such as switching positions, etc., that contributed to that mediocrity. But there were just as many factors contributing to his success (his right place, right time streak in the playoffs probably isn't going to occur frequently).

He may very well continue that success and be a legitimate top 6 forward for the Thrashers and help them succeed in the playoffs. Odds are, he'll be a 30-40 point guy who will be a streaky playoff performer. Hockey isnt exactly full of players who went from mediocre to good thanks to won playoff run. Because of that, he's just a risk that's too expensive to take.

Closed Thread