HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Skates (Roller)

Old
06-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
New Skates (Roller)

Hockey Monkey has some pretty awesome deals on year old + skates right now. I normally buy high-end skates 1-2 years after they're released and use the hell out of them, but it's time for some new ones. I've narrowed it down to three pairs and I'm looking for some feedback. I'd ideally like to go try each pair on, but there aren't any shops local to me (that I know of) that carry any of these, so...

Mission Commander Black - $250
CCM Vector V08 - $270
Reebok 7k Dusk Pumps - $185

I'm leaning towards the Reeboks because I want to try a pump skate, but that seems like an awfully good deal for Commander Blacks. Also, does anyone have any insight as to the fit of the Mission EE widths? I wear a size 12 shoe and generally find Missions to be very tight before they break down, so I was thinking about getting an 11EE. Thanks for any advice!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

While we're on the subject...how come some the specs on some of the Reeboks state they use a 2nd generation pump? Was something wrong with the 1st gen? I was thinking about the 5ks but now I am nervous.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:22 AM
phillipmatchett

Yeah, I've been debating over buying the Missions for awhile now. Some really good deals. I'm sure whatever you go with you'll be happy at those prices.

phillipmatchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Kyle2123

I wear size 12 shoes and I bought Commander Black's in an 11EE, they were too big so I sold them. For me, 10EE ended up being the right size. Be careful with ordering skates from HM unless you're sure about the size, I don't think they take back clearance stuff at all, or if they do they charge you some restocking fee. If I was you I'd try on something from the mission 2010 line, find your size, and add 1 to it.

Kyle2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I have RBK 8K Pumps, ones from 2 years ago (white/black)... Boot is very comfortable and the skates are extremely light weight.... Do you play outdoors or indoors for inline? I play outdoors and there is some concern about scratching up the chassis as they are pretty thin around the bolt hole locations but overall they have held up really well.... Can you post a picture of these 7K's? The site I order my gear from doesn't carry them (inlinewarehouse.com)

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Synergy27

Here's a link to the 7k Dusks:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-roll...7k-sr-gwp.html

I'll be playing both indoors and semi-outdoors. The semi-outdoor rink is a covered ice rink that has been melted down to the concrete substrate. Awesome surface to skate on when it's dry and clean. I really like the venting in the RBK skates, but I've never swayed from Mission for roller hockey and I'm very hesitant to start now.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:55 AM
doobie604

the missions are much better. you get better chassis, better wheels, and faster bearings. the commander blacks are actually as good as the boss if not better because of the better wheels.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:59 AM
izzy3

I just recently bought RBK pumps. I never had sooooo comfy skates ever. Now I am thinking about selling my bauers and buy rbk for ice too.

They say the pump might not make it over 2 years of usage (one guy on my team has 5 year old skates, one valve is no good anymore), but for the comfort and adjustability it's a good trade off for me.

rbk fits MUCH wider than mission or bauer so you will not have a problem if you have wide feet.

my 2c

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
WickedWrister

No matter which product you choose, you're going to get a nice skate.

That said, we all have our own opinions and I prefer Mission skates. They seem to last longer than the others I've used.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
FiveHole23

I had the 7ks, I took a slap shot in the ankle which busted the bladder the holds the air. I was out of warranty and called the department the handles rbk sticks breaking. They told me to take the wheels and laces out and ship them back the 7ks and they would replace them. A week later the sent me the 8ks with new wheels and laces. Love the pumps

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I had the 7ks, I took a slap shot in the ankle which busted the bladder the holds the air. I was out of warranty and called the department the handles rbk sticks breaking. They told me to take the wheels and laces out and ship them back the 7ks and they would replace them. A week later the sent me the 8ks with new wheels and laces. Love the pumps
I think you just officially sold me. I really like the venting in the RBKs and want to try the pump.

I really appreciate all of the feedback guys.

Old
06-23-2010, 02:04 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I think you just officially sold me. I really like the venting in the RBKs and want to try the pump.

I really appreciate all of the feedback guys.
Yea I think you will like them iwas really surprised that they offered to let me keep the wheels and laces for extras. I was floored when the 8ks were on my doorstep when I got home from work. Good customer service from rbk.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 03:10 PM
doobie604

one thing to consider is the weird rbk wheels configuration. 72 76 76 80, not a big deal, but buying 3 different wheel sizes could be annoying since lhs usually only sell by the pack of 4 or 8.

Old
06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
one thing to consider is the weird rbk wheels configuration. 72 76 76 80, not a big deal, but buying 3 different wheel sizes could be annoying since lhs usually only sell by the pack of 4 or 8.
Some wheels manufacturers sell the wheels individually now... So when you're ordering you just specify the wheel type and quantity.... And for those who sell in 4 packs (like Hyper NHL PRO 250's), you can just order your wheels in bulk, I mean you know you're going to use them anyway.... In the case of the RBK wheel configuration, you would order 1 pack fo 76mm's, and 1 pack each of the 72 & 80mm's.... You would wind up with 2 extra wheels for the 72/80mm wheel configuration for your next wheel replacement cycle, not a big deal. Or you could order an extra 76mm pack (2 total) and 1 each of the others and that's enough for 2 wheel replacement cycles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
While my experience wasn't on this level, I generally was pleased with RBK's Customer Service on the 2 occasions I had to contact them....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-24-2010 at 07:12 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:36 PM
doobie604

yeah i know what you're saying, its not a big deal but just something to consider when buying skates. i just think the missions are better skates for the extra money, and never needed to deal with with warranty issues when it comes to skates so i would never buy a skate just because the customer service is better.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Used to wear Missons. Couldnt stand how uncomfortable they were.

Switched to Tour's and havent looked back.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Synergy27

I ended up waiting and waiting but I finally pulled the trigger on the Commander Blacks last night. HockeyMonkey is having a 4th of July 20% off clearance sale so I couldn't pass them up for $200.