HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Colten Teubert vs. the Hate Machine (Myers wins Calder)

Old
06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Merged these two. Yes, we will probably hear about it for a long time. Everybody makes mistakes, it would have been nice to have Myers last season, but that's the way things go. Hopefully Teubert will serve a good purpose for this organization.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:15 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
What did Lombardi NOT see in Myers that made him select Teubert?
A project is what many GM's saw during his draft year. Also, there's no way anyone could know if he'd have made the team, and even if he did would he have stayed past his 9 games? Most likely he'd have gone back to junior.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
This is about right

For everyone else pissy about not picking Myers, why are you bagging on Colton and not on Hickey? At least Colten was drafted where most outlets had him, Hickey was taken out of left feild and has done nothing to merit anything.
Yup Hickey was a DL ego pick. Hey I'll show you how smart I am. As for Tuebert, Myers is head and shoulders above Tuebert and any scout with half a brain could see that. When I saw world juniors I was dumbfounded on how bad Hickey and Tuebert were. We picked these guys? Hey all I kept hearing was how much heart Hickey had and How much of a bad ass Tuebert was but they forgot to mention how average they were as players.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Come on guys...

"Myers might not have even made the Kings"

This is ridiculous, you guys do realize that Alec Martinez and Davis Drewiskie were in our opening night lineup, right?

Myers would have been our #2 d-man last season.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Come on guys...

This is ridiculous, you guys do realize that Alec Martinez and Davis Drewiskie were in our opening night lineup, right?

Martinez was there as a fill-in due to O'Donnell's suspension. Drewiske was returning after signing an extension and from his performance last season. You know how Lombardi talks up seniority and paying dues. I find it unlikely for the team to risk having two 20 year olds on defense.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Come on guys...

And you know this for sure, I mean 100 percent certain, without a doubt?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
How many teams passed on the Calder winning Robitaille?

Come on guys, the draft is really easy after the fact...

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
And you know this for sure, I mean 100 percent certain, without a doubt?
Tyler Myers was the #1 d-man on a 100 point team.

He played 24 minutes a night, in all situations, he put up 11 goals and 48 points, more than Scott Niedermayer, Lubomir Visnovsky, Shea Weber and Zdeno Chara to name a few.

Do you really think someone that showed this much in the NHL would not have made the LA Kings?

Tyler Myers is better than every d-man on the Kings with the exception of Doughty and possibly JJ. He had a much much better season than Jack, although I think Jack has just as much of a skillset as Meyers.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
You hang in there Colten.

A lot of us still believe in you!!!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:11 PM
redcard

Brian Lee or Anze Kopitar?

**** happens.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Yup Hickey was a DL ego pick. Hey I'll show you how smart I am. As for Tuebert, Myers is head and shoulders above Tuebert and any scout with half a brain could see that. When I saw world juniors I was dumbfounded on how bad Hickey and Tuebert were. We picked these guys? Hey all I kept hearing was how much heart Hickey had and How much of a bad ass Tuebert was but they forgot to mention how average they were as players.
Hickey, to his credit, stepped it up after his WJC two years ago and really showed some skill afterwards. I wasn't impressed with him then, but from all accounts he knew he didn't do well and really stood up and impressed. I'm actually not that down on the pick. We all knew Hickey had a skillset at the time of the draft, what has come out in the last 3 years is that he also has the character to make the most of it. Those two things combined make for a great combination. Alzner is a borderline player with the Caps. Not sure if that's all salary cap or not, but the point is that he hasn't really done anything. I don't know if there were any defensemen in that draft that were clearly head and shoulders above Hickey in terms of what he could become, so it was a reasonable pick in a weak draft. Let's face it, look at the draft class of 2007 and 2008 and you can see how sometimes a top 4 pick in one class is a top 20 the next year. That's why the slot number is all relative.

I also want to see how Hickey made the most of his year off. Clearly, the best thing would have been to be healthy and playing, but if he has actually healed his body and used his time wisely watching games and picking things up mentally, he may have progressed more than we think he did. While I don't expect him to make the team out of camp, he may surprise by being a mid-season call up and sticking with the team.

As for Teubert, I thought he always looked timid in international play. Strikes me as the kind of kid who has heard "don't put us at a disadvantage or you don't play" too many times. From all the reports I've heard he has what I'd call "half" leadership skills. In other words, he is a great teammate who sticks up for his players, but doesn't take criticism well in that he doesn't elevate his play to shut up the haters and instead fires back with his mouth. I can't say it enough, there are two words for making Colten Teubert excell in leaps and bounds: Ron Hextall. I fully expect the two of them to bond and for Hextall to whip Colten into shape mentally. Once that comes along, I can see Colten making huge leaps and bounds.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Duc620

Nice post, T2M

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote