HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor: L.A. Has Acquired Or Are Close To Acquiring Kovalchuk's Rights

Old
06-24-2010, 12:28 AM
daneykosdevils

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak Attack View Post
I frigging love the avatar.
thanks its a classic episode haha

daneykosdevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:29 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Always good to see that his summer interns hard at work ^^^ on the PR front, too.

I tend to think that Lou is not interested in Kovy's asking price/ is not able to accomodate it. However, your logic is dubious. People were saying he same thing about Patrick Elias, late June 2006. That is, that he hadn't signed meant he was a goner.

He resigned July 1st.
You're right that this is a similar situation, but also a very different situation.

I don't need to tell you that Elias was also a lifer (as in been with the organization) and for some that counts for something (for some guys everything).

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:30 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
99% of this board was saying the same thing when we acquired him so taking Lou out of any option isn't being realistic. I for one would rather spend 5.5M$ on resigning Paul Martin and chase Michalek with a 4M$ offer instead of resigning Kovalchuk.

He's a superb player but we have solid forwards and a couple of strong rookies who aren't too far away for cracking the team, it's our defense that needs a facelift and keeping Martin and adding Michalek would make us a better team.
This is a big reason why I don't view NJ as an option really. You want to keep Martin and, at this point, tying up a bunch of money in Kovalchuk may not be in the team's best interest.

LA seems like the logical choice when you look at all of the young talent and the fact that they are coming off a 100 point season. The fatal flaw in the Vancouver series was 5-on-5 scoring. Hello Kovalchuk. He knows he would have a top-flight center to pass him the puck as well as a Norris candidate behind him on the blueline. Net looks to be pretty solid as well.

Lombardi went all in on Hossa but Hossa declined because he wanted to go to a perennial 100-point, Cup-contending team. You can't argue with him because he finally won the Cup. Thing is, LA went ahead and threw up 100 points last year ahead of schedule. If Kovalchuk looks at it the same way as Hossa did last year, LA makes a ton of sense. If Lombardi was willing to go huge on Hossa, he will do the same for Kovalchuk.

I don't think Kovy is all about the money or he'd still be in Atlanta. He's always come off to me as a very proud player who cares about winning. With that being said, I think there is a better chance of that happening in LA than NJ at this point in time. I will admit that I'm not well-versed on your goaltender options after Brodeur, i.e. who is in the pipeline. If I'm signing a 7 year contract, I'm a little wary of doing so with the Devils due to Brodeur's age.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Oscar Moller and a 2nd ? He'd be a good 4th line center here and would give Henrqiue time to grow in the A.

that said i doubt this has happened.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
You're right that this is a similar situation, but also a very different situation.

I don't need to tell you that Elias was also a lifer (as in been with the organization) and for some that counts for something (for some guys everything).
Very true, but it cuts both ways. Late June 2006, posters here were suggesting that if the long-time Devil hadn't by that time given his team the hometown discount and benefit of the doubt, he was definitely hitting the open market (and, definitely, going to NYR).

One side of me says Lou has let the Kovy ship sail already. But then again, just the other day his words implied otherwise. We shall see.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
This is just speculation. Don't wet your panties over nothing LA fans
Something wrong?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:34 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Why not? If he isn't going to re-sign with NJ, Lou would be best served picking up a 3rd or any asset to help replace what they gave up for him in the first place.
It's the logical move, but it would be pretty shocking. Even in the Gomez case, where he had no intention of offering him a contract, he still didn't trade the rights.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Talentless Practise*

If LA lands Kovalchuk, look out rest of the league. Their lineup would be brimming with top quality talent and their prospect pool blows most everyone out of the water. They have leadership, hardnosed defensive guys to go with all the talent and their goaltending is much improved from previous years.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander Crews View Post
Lots of reasons... even tho its seems like Kovy is 100% set on seeing what all teams offer him they still have an extra week to impress him and show him why theyre team is great (something you cant do on July 1st when 25 other teams are all fighting for his attention) and you may even think you can sign him early.

Just as important is you can get an idea of what he wants and if you dont have a chance to get him... in which case you move on to plan b. Lots of teams go after the big name on July first and only 1 can get them, if its not you then you might just have missed out on your back up plans too cause someone else got them while youre fighting over your first choice. Wouldnt it be nice going into July first knowing not to waste your time?

As for your first point. I get that.. with other NHLers. It reports are true and it's him wanting to be paid top dollar v.s. him winning, IMO, it's likely highest bidder v.s. LA (or a select few). Not many solid teams can afford his contract hopes.

The second point is very true. No team wants to waste time on a guy during FA that they don't end up getting and missing out on other players. I just feel that with Kovy it's either money or winning (like I have said) so I guess taking a chance and finding out what he's looking for isn't a bad option. It's just if I'm DL and think Kovy is high likely thinking about the Kings, I'm more likely to want to keep my assets and wait.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:36 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
Why though? I don't get that logic (and yes, I get that they have first crack and getting him to sign if they own his rights). If Kovy wants to go there and you aren't clearing cap space to afford him, why not wait? If LA is his 1st choice then why even bother.. just wait until July 1. To me, if I'm say maybe 3rd or 4th on his list but feel I can put a nice deal that he will likely sign before a bidding war happens, then yeah it makes sense. I just don't get it if I'm already #1 on his list.
That line of thinking burned LA a little while ago. When Roenick was set to leave Phoenix as a UFA, he was considered a lock to sign in Los Angeles. Not wanting him to go to a divisional rival, they traded his rights to what they knew to be his 2nd choice, Philly, so they would have a good week or so to negotiate.

Roenick signed in Philly, and the Kings stayed in the market for a legit #1 centerman until they could acquire Jason Allison.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

He better focus on defense and forget about Kovalchuk cause he concentrates on IK and forgets about Martin, our best defensemen becomes Andy Greene or Colin White.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:38 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
It's the logical move, but it would be pretty shocking. Even in the Gomez case, where he had no intention of offering him a contract, he still didn't trade the rights.
Fair enough. Lou is extremely shrewd and it's good PR after trading away nice assets for a rental to say "We made a run at him on July 1st" as opposed to letting everyone know you had no intention of signing him.

I've felt LA would trade for his rights to give the home crowd something to cheer about at the draft and because Lou and Lombardi are very tight. I believe Lou is Dean's mentor.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

if LA is Kovalchuk's first choice, why the hell would you give up anything just to be able to talk to him? If they know he's interested in LA why not just wait until free agency?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
if LA is Kovalchuk's first choice, why the hell would you give up anything just to be able to talk to him? If they know he's interested in LA why not just wait until free agency?
As it has been said, even though something maybe your first choice, you never know what is going to happen come July 1st. Maybe things change and he goes somewhere else versus being able to talk to him exclusively and perhaps persuading him to sign early. If he is #1 on your list, given his talent level, giving up a 3rd round pick to help guarantee you get him is about the easiest thing to do and you don't really have to think about it. If July 1st rolls around and you screw up and someone else swoops in and takes him, it could haunt you in the end. It is smartest to not mess around with a player of this caliber.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:44 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
As for your first point. I get that.. with other NHLers. It reports are true and it's him wanting to be paid top dollar v.s. him winning, IMO, it's likely highest bidder v.s. LA (or a select few). Not many solid teams can afford his contract hopes.

The second point is very true. No team wants to waste time on a guy during FA that they don't end up getting and missing out on other players. I just feel that with Kovy it's either money or winning (like I have said) so I guess taking a chance and finding out what he's looking for isn't a bad option. It's just if I'm DL and think Kovy is high likely thinking about the Kings, I'm more likely to want to keep my assets and wait.
If you have an abundance of prospects and picks, the risk of waiting is much greater than moving a low-end asset if he is THE guy you want.

#1 rated prospect pool I believe. Just decided to let a 3rd rounder from 2 years ago go without a contract. Didn't sign Bryan Cameron who tore up the OHL this year. Lombardi took over and immediately stockpiled picks and prospects. He has admitted he is at a point where he will move them...that the time is now right. You can only have so many contracts; when you've made as many selections as LA has over the past few years, you don't think twice about moving one of your two 3rd rounders to give yourself a better chance at grabbing the piece you are looking for.

If LA did this for a 3rd round pick, Lombardi might wind up talking to Kovy more in one week than he would the kid they may take with that 3rd rounder: even if Kovy signed elsewhere.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
That line of thinking burned LA a little while ago. When Roenick was set to leave Phoenix as a UFA, he was considered a lock to sign in Los Angeles. Not wanting him to go to a divisional rival, they traded his rights to what they knew to be his 2nd choice, Philly, so they would have a good week or so to negotiate.
OK that was smart maneuvering by PHX, but also there are two big differences A) that was pre-salary cap, B) Kovy is looking for dollars and a contending team. If he places more importance on dollars, he'll simply go to the highest bidder which may or may not be LA. If he's looking to take a slight pay cut but play for a solid team, LA has to be a front runner come July 1.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Fair enough. Lou is extremely shrewd and it's good PR after trading away nice assets for a rental to say "We made a run at him on July 1st" as opposed to letting everyone know you had no intention of signing him.

I've felt LA would trade for his rights to give the home crowd something to cheer about at the draft and because Lou and Lombardi are very tight. I believe Lou is Dean's mentor.
The problem is his value. I mean, for a mediocre/bad 2011 4 that goes up a round or two if he signs? (hypothetical) Hard to explain to people why you made a huge deadline trade, and then sell him back for that. Especially when the fans (kinda foolishly) took to him and he was good business.

I would guess unless a team was desperate to get a week's worth of negotiating rights, and would pay like they're desperate, nothing happens. Originally, I would have settled for a bad 2. But, that was weeks ago. Now, he's not worth much unless someone panics.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
OK that was smart maneuvering by PHX, but also there are two big differences A) that was pre-salary cap, B) Kovy is looking for dollars and a contending team. If he places more importance on dollars, he'll simply go to the highest bidder which may or may not be LA. If he's looking to take a slight pay cut but play for a solid team, LA has to be a front runner come July 1.
If it's only dollars, he would still be a Thrasher. Man is going to get paid a ton of money regardless; I feel he is looking for the best combination of money/winning. An extra million can make you feel a lot better about losing every year, but these guys get to a point where $1M a year versus 7 years of mediocrity is really something to consider.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:47 AM
bland

Quote:
No, the only point was that if you snooze, you could lose.

The rest is window dressing.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Ollie Weeks

I couldn't care less if we burned a draft pick or two to sign a guy of this caliber, even if we may have had him the bag already. We wont miss those picks for too long.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:02 AM
LaLaLand

please God... let this be true

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:08 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
I get that. But with your scenario (just playing along), and he picks St. Louis, it's because of money (no offense to STL). If his heart is set on the dough, he'll just wait until July 1, anyways. If his heart is set on going to a solid contender and make a decent amount of change, he'll likely sign in LA anyways (considering not many teams that are contenders can afford him). I understand wanting to wine and dine him and sell him on LA but a few extra days won't change his mind about money v.s. winning. JMHO.
Good call.

Bad scenario on my part, so allow me to re-phrase.

Let's say St. Louis (who have an internal cap but also were the mystery team for Kovy in Feb.) makes an offer similar to that of what LA would potentially make, but John Davidson gets on the phone with Kovalchuk first.

Davidson is one hell of a salesman and let's say he does the best sales job of his life and gets Kovalchuk sold on St. Louis. He sells him on the city, on contract, but most importantly he sells the point that the Blue are turning the corner into a SC contender.

JD hammers home that they are committed to winning now and have demonstrated so by acquiring Halak, have a plethora of young stallions (similar to LA) like Ohsie, Berglund, Johnson, Backes, Perron, and Pietrangelo, and Davidson really makes Ilya feel like he's the straw that stirs the drink. Ilya starts feeling reaaly really good about the Blues direction and how he could be a part of their rise to the top.

At that point LA would have wished they had tried to acquire his negotiation rights so they could have a full week to sell everything Los Angeles to Ilya and close the deal because on July 1 I imagine offers can come from everywhere and anywhere and whoever gives Ilya the best impression that they are committed to him and committed to winning will get his services.

Just a random scenario on my part, but that's why you try and do it.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:23 AM
GE0

I can see Los Angeles doing this if, from what they see going on and the feelers they've sent out, they now feel rather confidently that Marleau is going to re-sign with San Jose.

They've got to land one of the two, and while my guess is that Marleau might be their preference, I do think Kovalchuk would like to go to Los Angeles as well. Could very well be his #1 destination.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:25 AM
hawkeyexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
Blue are turning the corner into a SC contender.

Right?

hawkeyexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:29 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyexp View Post

Right?
It's prefaced of course with "if you(Ilya) sign here"

If they get him on board you better believe it. Playoffs for 2010-2011, but after 10-11 they will be fighting with Chicago and LA for conference superiority. The thing with St. Louis is that all of their young talent will hit their prime around the same time opening a big window for them. If they plug in the right pieces, they will be a force.