HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Gervais for 10 games?

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 06:05 PM
blitzkriegs

vCash: 500
Gervais for 10 games?

Since Gervais is under age to play in the AHL, he must be returned to juniors if he does not make the team.

However, the Isles have the 10 game 'tryout rule' with him. Basically, Gervais can play in the NHL up to the tenth game of the season, thereafter he must be returned to junior or signed to contract by the Isles and remain with them for the remainder of the season.

If we go with the following we got our six:
Aucoin, Niinimma, Hamrlik, Martinek, Carins, Jonsson

if timmander is exposed and taken, we got room for Gervais for at least 10 games. If he succeeds he stays, if not we bring up Butenschon as our 7th d-man.

So, I think Gervais makes the team under two conditions:

(1) Timander is exposed and taken by another club; and
(2) Gervais out plays Butenschon for the 7th spot in training camp.

I stress that i do not want to see a Malhotra nightmare here. Gervais plays 7-10 minutes per game or he goes to juniors.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Since Gervais is under age to play in the AHL, he must be returned to juniors if he does not make the team.

However, the Isles have the 10 game 'tryout rule' with him. Basically, Gervais can play in the NHL up to the tenth game of the season, thereafter he must be returned to junior or signed to contract by the Isles and remain with them for the remainder of the season.

If we go with the following we got our six:
Aucoin, Niinimma, Hamrlik, Martinek, Carins, Jonsson

if timmander is exposed and taken, we got room for Gervais for at least 10 games. If he succeeds he stays, if not we bring up Butenschon as our 7th d-man.

So, I think Gervais makes the team under two conditions:

(1) Timander is exposed and taken by another club; and
(2) Gervais out plays Butenschon for the 7th spot in training camp.

I stress that i do not want to see a Malhotra nightmare here. Gervais plays 7-10 minutes per game or he goes to juniors.
Considering the injury time our starting 6 have racked up in recent years, a minimum of two solid d-men are needed. I could see them keeping Timmander and Gervais w/ Butchenson a quick call away at BRI.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:00 AM
NYIsles1*

I hope I'm wrong but do not see Gervais here this season unless he can pass Martinek on the depth chart because it makes no sense to play him
here as a seventh defender.

Isles have plenty of players in Bridgeport for that role even if Timmander does not last past Friday.

Comes down to what Stirling thinks. Gervais has made a pretty good case for staying and they have 10 games to use him once the season starts. If he is returned he cannot come back until his junior team completes it's season.

Hahn did an interview between the first and second peirod and was asked about Gervais and said no chance the Isles keep him and was quick to point out some first peirod mistakes he made. Of course Hahn could easily be wrong.

Closed Thread