HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie as good as gone - Brownlee

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 07:48 PM
theoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Just so you guys know...

Robin Brownlee is an occasional reader of these baords and the site in general. He told me he has HF bookmarked.
Hardest part about writing columns is getting the idea in the first place. This board is full of them so I would be very surprised if he didn't come here from time to time.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:15 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Hardest part about writing columns is getting the idea in the first place. This board is full of them so I would be very surprised if he didn't come here from time to time.
I agree.... if there is ever a day where an article doesn't come to him and for some reason he can't seem to think of anything - why not look here for a good idea?! There are lots of level headed posters (not like Oilfans or edmontonoilers.com)

Old
09-29-2003, 05:45 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The way I see it, Brownlee's a thoroughly average hockey reporter but he's no fool either. IMO he doesn't come out with an article as brazen as this without knowing there's a 99% chance Comrie's not coming back.
This is a seductive little bit of reasoning, but is no way to analyze the newspapers. Journalists are very often in the know and expose things early with "sources", but do you really believe that no journalist ever has been wrong about something?

Until there's hard evidence/quotations, I think the wise reader would take the various published accounts under advice, but adopt a wait-and-see attitude. The future, I find, is very often a strange thing.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
hockeyaddict101

Look at the Smyth situation

Brownlee reported or was it speculated that he deserved 5 million a year, Matheson calmly reported that he would sign before training camp and it would most likely be a two year deal.

Brownlee got all the talk on the board but it was Matheson who ended up being right.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
This is a seductive little bit of reasoning, but is no way to analyze the newspapers. Journalists are very often in the know and expose things early with "sources", but do you really believe that no journalist ever has been wrong about something?
That's why I said 99 instead of 100.

Perhaps I should've said 98?

Old
09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Brownlee reported or was it speculated that he deserved 5 million a year, Matheson calmly reported that he would sign before training camp and it would most likely be a two year deal.

Brownlee got all the talk on the board but it was Matheson who ended up being right.
excellent point. Hey Guy, maybe your to good of a journalist for your own good! You need to be wrong more. EXCITING. But wrong!

But hey, Brownlie is doing what he wants, he's getting people reading and talking about him/his articles. Brownlie isn't stupid, he's quite smart, he knows how to sell news papers. Plus, it's not like he was writing stuff that was way off. Smyth would get an offer of five million/year if he were on the open market from somebody I'm quite sure!

Old
09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
excellent point. Hey Guy, maybe your to good of a journalist for your own good! You need to be wrong more. EXCITING. But wrong!

But hey, Brownlie is doing what he wants, he's getting people reading and talking about him/his articles. Brownlie isn't stupid, he's quite smart, he knows how to sell news papers. Plus, it's not like he was writing stuff that was way off. Smyth would get an offer of five million/year if he were on the open market from somebody I'm quite sure!
Yep, no doubt and it is the reason I trust Matheson more than Brownlee. Matheson is a Hall-of-Famer that has nothing more to prove.

I got the impression for Matheson that money is not really the issue and that the sides aren't that far apart BUT he may be traded anyway.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

The Oilers' board isn't too bad right now....the majority of puckbunnies haven't made their way back to the boards after they were shut down for a lengthy period over the summer.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak
The Oilers' board isn't too bad right now....the majority of puckbunnies haven't made their way back to the boards after they were shut down for a lengthy period over the summer.
Yup it's remarkable how much it has changed from a little while ago. Still needs some work though.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

OH GOSH! this is heaven compared to edmontonoilers.com!!!! SO many PB's and Flame trolls! aghh.....

Old
09-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Oiler_Fan

Brownlee occasionally reminds me of a care-bare version of Terry Jones and Stan Fischler. Both of those guys made their careers writing the most inflammatory crap. Both of them also ended up paying for it in the long run by losing a little bit of their credibility in each article or editorial that they wrote that was based on a bunch of sensational speculation.

Jim Matheson, on the other hand, still has my respect, even though I think in this case he might be wrong and Brownlee might be right.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
Brownlee occasionally reminds me of a care-bare version of Terry Jones and Stan Fischler. Both of those guys made their careers writing the most inflammatory crap. Both of them also ended up paying for it in the long run by losing a little bit of their credibility in each article or editorial that they wrote that was based on a bunch of sensational speculation.

Jim Matheson, on the other hand, still has my respect, even though I think in this case he might be wrong and Brownlee might be right.
Remember that both speculated that Comrie would still be traded, the only difference IMO was that Matheson thinks that he might sign first.

It was Matheson that wrote about the Arnason trade with Chicago.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:01 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Remember that both speculated that Comrie would still be traded, the only difference IMO was that Matheson thinks that he might sign first.

I think that it is smart of Matheson as now either way he'll be able to say "see I was right"

Old
09-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:

I stand corrected, though Matheson, to my knowledge, makes the only largely public statement that Comrie might sign with the Oilers.

Personally, I think Mike wants a trade, but might still sign with Edmonton because of the current market.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I think that it is smart of Matheson as now either way he'll be able to say "see I was right"
That was sort of what was going through my mind too. Normally I like Matheson and he is in the hall o' fame for a reason, but his stance here seems a bit muddled. Basically he's saying anything could happen...whichever way the chips fall, his bases are covered.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
That was sort of what was going through my mind too. Normally I like Matheson and he is in the hall o' fame for a reason, but his stance here seems a bit muddled. Basically he's saying anything could happen...whichever way the chips fall, his bases are covered.
Hey, Matheson isn't in the Hall of Fame for nothing!

Old
09-30-2003, 10:31 AM
oilswell

Quote:
That's why I said 99 instead of 100.
Perhaps I should've said 98?
Yeah I got your point, and its a good one so I don't even know whether I should even drag this out. Here goes anyway.

There's a subtle difference between a reporter's degree of confidence and the likelihood of being right. A reporter can be 99% sure of something and be dead wrong and its not a statistical thing, its on a case by case basis. So while I agree with you that it is likely that Brownlee is fairly certain (99% or 98% or whatever) of what he speaks, I'm saying as a reader you have to be even more careful to not get caught up into thinking a reporter's confidence translates into likelihoods for happening (which, if I read your posting, it appears you are doing). Sorry if I'm unclear, but try juxtaposing Matheson's and Brownlee's articles (both are likely 98% certain of their information, right?).

Old
09-30-2003, 09:36 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
Personally, I think Mike wants a trade, but might still sign with Edmonton because of the current market.
I think he'll have to. To sign him away from the Oilers would take bucks likely worth 5 first rounders. The teams will sign him in USD; Oilers will get the right to match, and I believe they can also do it in Canadian dollars, no? Has everybody else forgotten that and I'm the only one who just now remembered it, or should I put down the crack pipe again?

Old
10-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Yeah I got your point, and its a good one so I don't even know whether I should even drag this out. Here goes anyway.

There's a subtle difference between a reporter's degree of confidence and the likelihood of being right. A reporter can be 99% sure of something and be dead wrong and its not a statistical thing, its on a case by case basis. So while I agree with you that it is likely that Brownlee is fairly certain (99% or 98% or whatever) of what he speaks, I'm saying as a reader you have to be even more careful to not get caught up into thinking a reporter's confidence translates into likelihoods for happening (which, if I read your posting, it appears you are doing). Sorry if I'm unclear, but try juxtaposing Matheson's and Brownlee's articles (both are likely 98% certain of their information, right?).
Yeah, I get what you mean too.

What you're saying is perfectly logical, I have to admit that sometimes I'm not Super Objective Man, that I let my feelings tow me along. My gut instinct says Comrie's next appearance in Edmonton will be as a Red Wing or Bruin (maybe even a Thrasher?), I hope I'm wrong and that Brownlee gets to eat huge helpings of crow. Notice how his last couple articles he offhandedly refers to Comrie 'waiting to be traded'? Man...

BTW: Your blood isn't green, is it?

Closed Thread