HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill V

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
We can remove SJ from the list of potential Kovalchuk suitors. Considering they have 14 players under contract and only $12.225M in cap space.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:08 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
We can remove SJ from the list of potential Kovalchuk suitors. Considering they have 14 players under contract and only $12.225M in cap space.
I could still see them moving one of Thornton/Heatley.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:15 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I could still see them moving one of Thornton/Heatley.
Heatley isn't going anywhere. Nobody will take on that deal, unless SJ sweetens the deal in a big way. Why would they move Joe when he took Marleau from average to 35+ Goals regularly.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I wouldn't be surprised if DL traded for Kovalchuk's rights since he did for Hossa's last year. Lets see if he gets it done this time. I don't know how any Kings fan can complain if that does happen. Things might be a little tight next year but after 11/12 when SMyth comes off, the Kings should be in good shape with the CAP.

If the Kovalchuk thing does happen, while it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Lieweke or AEG had influence on it, I'll personally believe it is Lombardi doing it on his on volition. He came here with the understanding that he would make the personnel decisions. Lieweke just commented that they want to see Lombardi finish what he started. I even remember Lombardi making comments about getting a big player last summer and he said Lieweke told him to stay the course.

We should know who Kovalchuk is playing for by this time next week.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yep, July 1st, but it would be huge if Lombardi could announce it at the draft.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:29 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Heatley isn't going anywhere. Nobody will take on that deal, unless SJ sweetens the deal in a big way. Why would they move Joe when he took Marleau from average to 35+ Goals regularly.
7.5M for a 40/50 goal scorer is not a bad contract. It's the character issues with Heatley.

IF SJ moves one of their big guns I think it will be Thornton/Heatley because of the way they played in the playoffs.

They've got to shake things up over there, and the best way to do it is move one of those two.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Yep, July 1st, but it would be huge if Lombardi could announce it at the draft.
If he could sign Kovy before July 1st...

They could keep it a secret and when it comes time for the 19th pick, they could have Kovalchuk walk up to the podium with a Kings jersey on and make the selection himself. Kinda like what Ovechkin did.

How awesome would that be.

/Dream

Old
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if DL traded for Kovalchuk's rights since he did for Hossa's last year. Lets see if he gets it done this time. I don't know how any Kings fan can complain if that does happen. Things might be a little tight next year but after 11/12 when SMyth comes off, the Kings should be in good shape with the CAP.

If the Kovalchuk thing does happen, while it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Lieweke or AEG had influence on it, I'll personally believe it is Lombardi doing it on his on volition. He came here with the understanding that he would make the personnel decisions. Lieweke just commented that they want to see Lombardi finish what he started. I even remember Lombardi making comments about getting a big player last summer and he said Lieweke told him to stay the course.

If it happens Smyth is likely done in LA after the coming season at the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If he could sign Kovy before July 1st...

They could keep it a secret and when it comes time for the 19th pick, they could have Kovalchuk walk up to the podium with a Kings jersey on and make the selection himself. Kinda like what Ovechkin did.

How awesome would that be.

LEIWEKE's (insert word here that would surely get me in trouble with mods) Dream

Old
06-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If it happens Smyth is likely done in LA after the coming season at the latest.
Smyth could retire after the Kings win the cup next year.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:37 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

2010-11 NHL Salary Cap Calculator

2010-11 LOS ANGELES KINGS

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING

* Ilya Kovalchuck ($8.0m) Anze Kopitar ($6.8m) Justin Williams ($3.5m)

Ryan Smyth ($6.2m)* Jeff Carter ($5.0m) Dustin Brown ($3.2m)

* Ryan Malone ($4.0m) Michal Handzus ($4.0m) Wayne Simmonds ($0.8m)

* Brad Richardson ($0.6m)* Trevor Lewis ($0.6m)* Richard Clune ($0.6m)

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
Drew Doughty ($3.5m) Rob Scuderi ($3.4m)

Jack Johnson ($1.4m)* Jurcina ($1.5m)

Matt Greene ($3.0m) Peter Harrold ($0.6m)

GOALTENDERS
* Nabby ($3.0m)
Jonathan Bernier ($0.8m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 20; CAP: $59.4m; PAYROLL: $61.457m; CAP ROOM: $0.783m BONUSES: $2.840m

Yes, we are tight for a year but killer team. My wish list. Chucky likes.....

Old
06-24-2010, 11:39 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Smyth could retire after the Kings win the cup next year.

That would be the best possible scenario, because likely we won't have the depth to win it for the next few years after that.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
LEIWEKE's (insert word here that would surely get me in trouble with mods) Dream.
So, if Kovalchuk signs with LA, you feel that Lombardi was forced to sign him? Come on, Dean has hinted several times that the Kings need to look elsewhere for their scoring winger. Kovalchuk just happens to not cost any prospects/roster players.

Signing Kovalchuk will not cost the Kings their future.

Old
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I really don't understand how you can say Chicago got it done. I mean they are still only two million under their cap (keep in mind it's different for them because they went over last year) and they have to sign four forwards, four defenseman, and a goalie. The league minimum salary is $500,000. They absolutely have to get rid of Huet somehow. And even though I strongly believe they won't put him in the minors let's say they do. That gives them seven million in cap space to sign ten guys. They're still completely effed. They can't give Niemi, Ladd, and Hjalmarsson any kind of raise AND they can't afford to bring up their young talent like Beach. Yeah their first two lines are going to be awesome but their defense will be paper thin and their goaltending will be completely suspect. And if anybody at all gets hurt they can't bring anybody up because it will put them over the cap. How on Earth can you claim "(You are) sure something can be done."?

As for next year when Carter's contract is up only Handzus' contract is up. Stoll is signed for the 11-12 season.
THEY WON THE CUP! Who cares about this year...

Old
Chruceg

Quote:
Chicago has $6 million in cap space right now with 13 players signed. Lose Huet and they have $11.6 million to sign 10 or 11 players. Move Versteeg and that's $3 million more.

Also, a lot of people were saying that Chicago would get fleeced in these salary dumps, yet they got what they wanted, a 1st round pick and then some. They are going to have a lot of prospects available to use or trade in a few years.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=4
(emphasis mine)

You are forgetting that Chicago was over the cap last year by four million because of performance bonuses due to Kane and Toews. That comes off of this years cap giving them only two million in space right now. Most teams carry 23 guys on their roster in case of injuries. That's ten guys you have to fit in.

But let's give you the benefit of the doubt. Absolute best case scenario for Chicago. Let's say they only try and sign seven guys just so they can ice a team. I certainly think Versteeg can be moved for something of value so let's say eight guys need to be signed and you save virtually all of Versteeg's cap hit. That still leaves you with only five million to sign eight guys. They miraculously figure out a way move Huet's contract and get it off the books.

Now they have a little over ten million available for nine guys. Again this is best case scenario so re-signing Hjalmarsson and Ladd could be done at 1.6 million each. Ladd makes the same and Hjalmarsson gets a raise. Now the Blackhawks need to sign seven guys for seven million. Niemi is going to get a raise but let's say he stays for dirt cheap at 1 million. Six guys for six million ... but this is where things start getting dicey. There are only five real top five forwards on the team now unless you move Kopecky up. There's been a lot of talk of bringing up Kyle Beach and Corey Crawford to save money so now Chicago just needs to sign four guys with four million. Doable as they fill out the roster with the likes of say Metropolit, Sydor, Sim and Niedermayer. (Obviously Rob)

Now remember this is the BEST case scenario. Still a very competitive team but are they contenders for the cup? Not at all. Not a lot of scoring depth, the Ladd/Sydor pairing is screaming to be exploited, Niemi is still only an average goalie, and keep in mind if anyone gets hurt you can't bring anybody in to replace them.

Furthermore, I don't think dumping Huet is as easy as you are making it out to be. He is a backup goalie making elite number one goalie money. Nobody is going to take that contract. I suppose they could buy him out but that only saves 2.6 million. And even in the best case scenario I just illustrated they have to get him off the books completely just to ice a competitive team.

As for Chicago getting fleeced you have to look what just happened in the proper perspective. They just gave up the guy that almost single handedly won them the Vancouver series and the same guy played a HUGE part in the San Jose series AND their quality fourth line agitator ... for a so-so prospect, an AHL tough guy, two draft picks that have less than a fifty/fifty shot of even producing a one quality NHL player and Marty FREAKING Reasoner. And most people think Atlanta over paid.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

The Kings would still have $6.7 million available to sign 2 defensemen with Kovalchuk at $8 million per.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.822m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.900m) / * Brad Richardson ($1.200m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
* Richard Clune ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($3.475m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
* Defenseman ($0.000m) / Jack Johnson ($1.425m)
* Defenseman ($0.000m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m) / Jonathan Quick ($1.800m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $55.648m; CAP ROOM: $6.727m BONUSES: $2.975m

Old
06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
So, if Kovalchuk signs with LA, you feel that Lombardi was forced to sign him? Come on, Dean has hinted several times that the Kings need to look elsewhere for their scoring winger. Kovalchuk just happens to not cost any prospects/roster players.

Signing Kovalchuk will not cost the Kings their future.
No, I feel the whole Kovy goes to the podium and makes the Kings' selection in the 1st round fiasco would be a Leiweke production. If a player is going to do it that honor should go to Kopitar, Doughty, or Brown.

I trust that Dean is going has plotted every scenario and then some when it comes to signing or not signing Kovalchuk, and has a number in mind when it comes to every particular element of the contract. He knows it is a gamble. Maybe he thinks the odds are right at this point.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
The Kings would still have $6.7 million available to sign 2 defensemen with Kovalchuk at $8 million per.

FORWARDS
Kyle Clifford ($0.900m) / * Brad Richardson ($1.200m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
Throw on an extra $500k on Kovalchuk and Richardson.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
THEY WON THE CUP! Who cares about this year...
Hindsight is 20/20. Going into the prior season they only had a CHANCE to win the cup. You can't build a team and say this is the only year we hope we are going to be competitive because we are certain we won't be for the following three years. The vast majority of teams need a number of chances before they can win. Chicago got lucky plain and simple. I've rooted for this team too long to entrust it to luck.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
johnjm22

Quote:

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
Schenn will make the team!

Old
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Johnny Utah

6.7 million for 2 D is not enough, we also have to extend Doughty.

Either Kovy ain't going to happen or one of Stoll, Williams needs to be dealt.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:50 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20. Going into the prior season they only had a CHANCE to win the cup. You can't build a team and say this is the only year we hope we are going to be competitive because we are certain we won't be for the following three years. The vast majority of teams need a number of chances before they can win. Chicago got luck plain and simple. I've rooted for this team too long to entrust it to luck.
Thank you. People don't realize how everything lined up just right for Chicago in order for them to win it with their first and maybe only kick at the can.

If they run into a team like Pittsburgh in the finals and Fleury even plays average, Chicago loses.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
(emphasis mine)

You are forgetting that Chicago was over the cap last year by four million because of performance bonuses due to Kane and Toews. That comes off of this years cap giving them only two million in space right now. Most teams carry 23 guys on their roster in case of injuries. That's ten guys you have to fit in.
Oops, you're right about that. I forgot about that overage, but has anything been released officially by the league on the exact amount?

Quote:

As for Chicago getting fleeced you have to look what just happened in the proper perspective. They just gave up the guy that almost single handedly won them the Vancouver series and the same guy played a HUGE part in the San Jose series AND their quality fourth line agitator ... for a so-so prospect, an AHL tough guy, two draft picks that have less than a fifty/fifty shot of even producing a one quality NHL player and Marty FREAKING Reasoner. And most people think Atlanta over paid.
Buff's performance can be found on every Stanley Cup winning team, you have to get scoring from unlikely sources. Remember Chris Kontos scored a ton of goals in a playoff year and was never heard from again.

Does Atlanta have a Kane and Toews to get the most out of Buff? Doubt it, it took Lindros to get Leclair to a 40 goal scorer, whos knows if he would have become a 40 goals scorer on Montreal.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20. Going into the prior season they only had a CHANCE to win the cup. You can't build a team and say this is the only year we hope we are going to be competitive because we are certain we won't be for the following three years. The vast majority of teams need a number of chances before they can win. Chicago got luck plain and simple. I've rooted for this team too long to entrust it to luck.
Luck? Give me a break. They were the best team in the playoffs by far. And that was all due to spending to the cap and not playing the "let's see how much cap space we can have" game like so many fans want their team to do. The money is there to be spent, not saved.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
No, I feel the whole Kovy goes to the podium and makes the Kings' selection in the 1st round fiasco would be a Leiweke production. If a player is going to do it that honor should go to Kopitar, Doughty, or Brown.

I trust that Dean is going has plotted every scenario and then some when it comes to signing or not signing Kovalchuk, and has a number in mind when it comes to every particular element of the contract. He knows it is a gamble. Maybe he thinks the odds are right at this point.
Okay, I agree on the whole "dog & pony" show, I just think it would be nice to have it announced at the draft. At least it would get the crowd to stop booing Bettman.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
6.7 million for 2 D is not enough, we also have to extend Doughty.

Either Kovy ain't going to happen or one of Stoll, Williams needs to be dealt.
Under Sydor25's scenario, Dean is not going to spend more than 2.9M on a UFA dman, and the other Dman we will be a prospect that steps up; one of Hickey/Muzzin/Voynov/Fransson.

Doughty Johnson
Scuderi Hickey
Greene Tallinder
Drewiske

Closed Thread