HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BB's 2005 Top 50 Update for March

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Blue Bullet
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
BB's 2005 Top 50 Update for March

Time for my new draft update. As the regular season has come to a close, it is now down to playoffs and tournaments to finalize a player's rankings. Instead of my regular falling and rising section, I will just mention a few random thoughts on some players. Last month's rankings are in parenthesis.

My top 4 seems to be set, as it has been the same since Christmas and I do not see it changing.

Kopitar enters the top 5 because of his combination of size and goal scoring, as he may be the best goal scorer in the draft. Kopitar reminds of Vanek in the sense that, they are both snipers with size that are from countries (Slovenia, Austria) who are not known for developing hockey players and both of them had to leave to continue their development in another nation.

Pouliot drops out of my top 5 for the first time. I was hoping for a little more offensive production but you cannot deny that Pouliot has a high upside, especially if he adds a few more pounds to his frame.

Bergfors enters my top 10 for the first time after hovering around the mark all year.

I really do not see a huge difference picking between 5 and 20 other than the higher you pick the more likely you will be able to get your guy. I would expect that there would be many teams trading picks to move up or down if there is a draft.

Denis Istomin enters the top 30 at #26 after leading Russia in scoring at the 5 Nations tournament. Istomin is described as your prototypical Russian: not the biggest guy but has a good finesse game with great speed, moves and hands while lacking in the physical game.

Brian Lee finally cracks the top 30.

Buravchikov is the highest debut at #37 this month. He is a smaller d-man but makes up for it with his speed and puck moving ability.

Paquet continues his slide in the wrong direction. He is a frustrating player to watch because he has all the tools to be a very good d-man but with Paquet the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Jakub Vojta is my 2nd of three new entries as he enters at #42. Vojta has played like a 1st rounder at the tournaments but has not played as well back in the Czech leagues. Vojta is a risky pick but he may be a steal in round 2.

My last new entry is Vladimir Sobotka at #47. He is not the biggest guy but he has played well enough to get some time on the big club when many other young players are not given the chance due to the lockout.

1(1) Sidney Crosby
2(2) Jack Johnson
3(3) Gilbert Brule
4(4) Bobby Ryan
5(11) Anze Kopitar
6(7) Marek Zagrapan
7(6) Alex Bourret
8(5) Benoit Pouliot
9(8) Guillaume Latendresse
10(12) Nicklas Bergfors
11(9) Ryan O'Marra
12(10) Devin Setoguchi
13(13) Carey Price
14(14) Marc Staal
15(15) Tuukka Rask
16(17) Jack Skille
17(16) Ryan Parent
18(18) Chris Durand
19(20) Jakub Kindl
20(24) Kendal McArdle
21(19) Ryan Stoa
22(22) Luc Bourdon
23(25) Matt Lashoff
24(21) Dan Bertram
25(23) Jean-Philippe Levasseur
26(45) Denis Istomin
27(27) Risto Korhonen
28(26) Teemu Laakso
29(29) Andrew Cogliano
30(33) Brian Lee
31(28) Alexandre Vincent
32(31) Brendan Mikkelson
33(39) Andrei Zubarev
34(32) Martin Hanzal
35(35) Slava Trukhno
36(37) Scott Jackson
37(NR) Vyacheslav Buravchikov
38(34) Michael Blunden
39(36) T.J. Hensick
40(30) Jean-Philippe Paquet
41(44) Dustin Kohn
42(NR) Jakub Vojta
43(41) Mikko Lehtonen
44(47) Daniel Ryder
45(38) Ilya Zubov
46(50) Evan Brophey
47(NR) Vladimir Sobotka
48(48) Tom Fritsche
49(40) Vitaly Anikeenko
50(42) James Neal

Old
03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
speeds

great list, thanks for posting it here.

Personally I'd have Bertram higher, and probably both Rask and Price higher as well.

Also interested on your take of Skille and Stoa, obviously you like Skille more, just wondering ifyou could expand upon why you have each guy at their respective spot.

Thanks!

Old
03-22-2005, 05:48 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

And Latendresse just keeps on dropping. Damn, looking at that list, 2005 is gonna be a really deep draft.

Old
03-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Lowetide

I look forward to this list, was just thinking it was time. I basically just zip around and read up on all the guys but I saw that Staal kid the other night and he's got some serious things happening. Skill, heart, some jam, in that one game he did a bunch of things that stood out. Seriously. Great positioning, riding the guy out of the play, outlet pass, back hand shelf, and he even bled a little at the end of the game.

I see he's #14. He's my favourite.

Old
03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Blue Bullet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Also interested on your take of Skille and Stoa, obviously you like Skille more, just wondering if you could expand upon why you have each guy at their respective spot.
Skille is more physical and more consistent than Stoa. He is stronger on the puck and uses his strength to his advantage along the boards. He dominated the 5 nations tournament in Sweden leading all scorers with 5 goals and 8 points in 4 games.

Stoa, on the other hand, has more natural skill and is slightly taller than Skille but he needs to use his size better. I've also heard that Stoa can be very inconsistent.

Basically Stoa may be slightly more talented than Skille, but Skille more than makes up for it with his work ethic and determination.

Old
03-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Blue Bullet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide
I look forward to this list, was just thinking it was time. I basically just zip around and read up on all the guys but I saw that Staal kid the other night and he's got some serious things happening. Skill, heart, some jam, in that one game he did a bunch of things that stood out. Seriously. Great positioning, riding the guy out of the play, outlet pass, back hand shelf, and he even bled a little at the end of the game.

The Staal's may be the next hockey family in the NHL. Eric is going to be a hell of a center and I think Marc is going to be a steady, solid d-man for years. Look out for Jordan next year. There bringing him in slowly with the Petes and he should have a breakout year next season. I don't think he's as skilled as Eric but he's not as lanky. Has there ever been 3 brothers all go in the 1st round of the draft?

Old
03-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:

Staal was having a very good prospects game up 'til his collision with Bourret. Takes the body time after time after time without fail. Bourret - Oiler - please!!!!

Old
03-23-2005, 12:37 AM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bullet
Skille is more physical and more consistent than Stoa. He is stronger on the puck and uses his strength to his advantage along the boards. He dominated the 5 nations tournament in Sweden leading all scorers with 5 goals and 8 points in 4 games.

Stoa, on the other hand, has more natural skill and is slightly taller than Skille but he needs to use his size better. I've also heard that Stoa can be very inconsistent.

Basically Stoa may be slightly more talented than Skille, but Skille more than makes up for it with his work ethic and determination.
Sorry, BB but I thought this was maybe the funniest post I've seen on here for awhile. :lol Wait a second, Stoa's got more skill than Skille?

Of course I've got my Skille up my Stoa, so what do I know?

Old
03-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
I like Staal and I think he'll be a pretty good d-man but I don't think he'd be a great selection for Edmonton to make. He strikes me as another one of those second pairing d-men that are good at everything but not really great at any one skill. I see him as the kind of guy that will chip in some points and make a good breakout pass but will never be a true powerplay quarterback or shutdown guy. While d-men like this are nice to have, the Oilers already have a plethora of them (Lynch, Woywitka, Tesliuk, Greene, possibly Gilbert, Semenov). I'd much rather the Oilers try and grab a good winger in this draft than another solid but unspectacular d-man...

Devin Setoguchi is one guy that has started to catch my eye. Does anyone have any thoughts on him? He's putting up some pretty good stats this year and he seems to be pretty good at finding the net.

Old
03-23-2005, 01:24 AM
GorillazXL

Good list, though if it turns out this way the player I hope will fall to the Oilers (Anze Kopitar) will be long gone before the Oilers get him. Though if we picked at 14th we would have a shot at Staal whom I think is solid...though he won't provide us with the Offense from the back end we desperately need.

GXL

Old
03-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Devin Setoguchi is one guy that has started to catch my eye. Does anyone have any thoughts on him? He's putting up some pretty good stats this year and he seems to be pretty good at finding the net.
He's a feisty RW with some scoring touch - not all that big at 5-11 but he plays bigger. The kid went through a horrific scoring slump in Feb and March and it may hurt him unless he has a big playoffs. Not a bad pick but I don't know how much upside he has.

I am very interested in Kindl - is he just plain mediocre or is he just taking longer to adjust to living in Canada and playing in the OHL? He's got an interesting package of skills and will probably be there for the Oilers - which will he be next year - Meszaros or Vagner?

Old
03-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
He's a feisty RW with some scoring touch - not all that big at 5-11 but he plays bigger. The kid went through a horrific scoring slump in Feb and March and it may hurt him unless he has a big playoffs. Not a bad pick but I don't know how much upside he has.
Oh, he might not be an optimal choice for the Oilers then. It seems like we have a lot of players with "scoring touch" but few that have that natural ability to light the lamp.

I still think we need another talented offensive prospect in the system in case Schremp and Hemsky don't pan out. Perhaps someone like Zagrapan or Skille might be a better choice...

Old
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Blue Bullet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I still think we need another talented offensive prospect in the system in case Schremp and Hemsky don't pan out. Perhaps someone like Zagrapan or Skille might be a better choice...
If that is what you want than Zagrapan is your guy. On talent alone he is right near the top of the draft class. The guy needs some work on his game but he could be like Zhamnov.

Old
03-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bullet
If that is what you want than Zagrapan is your guy. On talent alone he is right near the top of the draft class. The guy needs some work on his game but he could be like Zhamnov.
For all the talk about his offensive skill Zagrapan was very impressive in the prospects game working with the puck along the wall. That's such a huge part of the game now, for a high skill guy to be good along the wall puts his value through the roof imo. I'd have him ahead of Brule but I'm not a big fan of GB.

Old
03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
GorillazXL

IMO Zaragpan would be a pipe dream, he's had far too good of a season, WJC, and prospect game to fall to 14th... then again I think I said that about Shcremp. Kopitar would be more realistic.

GXL

Old
03-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Hyped

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing Lowetide. I'm hoping he'll fall to the Habs whenever their pick may be in the next draft. He's nothing pretty but he gets the job done and he seems to do it efficiently with a bit of grit on the side.

Montreal has enough smallish scoring forwards in their bank, but if Zagrapan dropped to them and there was no d-man in sight, I'd love for them to take a flier on him. He almost reminds me of a young Ziggy Palffy in that he seems to be very opportunistic around the net...

Closed Thread