HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL Discussion: Fantasy Talk, Off-season and More #4

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
So wait, even now after this deal they have less than 3 mill in space with 13 guys to sign? Damn.
Yes, and this is why I'm losing all respect for the vast majority of Hawk fans and the idiots that seem to cover 'em. They don't seem to respect just how bad the cap situation is, and they don't seem to respect how much the key to that team was their depth all over the place. Buff and Sopel are big losses. Eager is a big loss because despite his shortcomings, he's a quality 4th liner that can play enough hockey to not embarrass himself if you need him on the 3rd line for a stretch or something (I will forever be annoyed by how stupid he is, though).

The problem is that I haven't seen anything written down in stone as to what their bonus situation is from the cup win, so until we see that it's hard to peg just how much room they have to work with. No matter the case, they're basically going to be cutting it VERY close to address the 3rd pairing D and their 4th line... and if they have any serious injuries next year the roster is going to lack guys that can move up the lineup very far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I honestly didnt think that anyone would bend over and help Chicago out with their cap hell. I thought they would have to give up assets
Then I remembered the idiots down in Atlanta.
Hope Atlanta enjoys Buff and his 26-28 points per season for that bad contract.
I think Buff might still emerge into a quality player... guy is only 24 and converting from D to forward. He's also huge, and as we like to say, those guys take a bit longer.

A rough deal for Atlanta, but also not a deal that does a whole lot to help Chicago in the present other than clearing some cap space.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
In terms of guaranteed money, he'd always be big... but it depends what type of deal they sign him to. If it's a 4 year deal, yeah he's going to be a big hit if he has another big goal year.
I know we have Richards on the 12 and Pronger on the 7, but I wouldn't mind giving Carter 8 at a lower cap hit.

And the Dudley-Chicago thing is oh so fishy.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Tony Gallagher = Vancouver's Howard Eskin.

The article is hilarious, though.
I haven't seen "Hawks" and "Atlanta" mentioned this often in the same thought process since Dominique Wilkins played.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I think that's a bit harsh, but it is a curious deal from the Hawks perspective. In their position, I don't get the real need for Sopel... I would have wanted someone else (you can sign a Sopel on the UFA market). I don't think Eager is a bad pickup as a banger (and if you get a coach that gets through to him, I still think he can be a quality NHL 3rd liner). Buff is the wild card... if he matures into what his size allows him to be, the dude can be a force.

However, and this is important, given the situation Atlanta is in... NHL-ready players are more important to them than late 1st rd and 2nd rd picks. That franchise is in a terrible situation in that market and they get a prominent player from last year's playoffs to put in their media guide.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I know we have Richards on the 12 and Pronger on the 7, but I wouldn't mind giving Carter 8 at a lower cap hit.

And the Dudley-Chicago thing is oh so fishy.
Are you talking about the Atlanta deal, or am I missing something?

Old
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

B's re-signed Boychuk, 2 years at $1.875m per. Boychuk is a guy I would've really liked the Flyers to sign for that #5 kind of role. He's not a vet, which would've been ideal, but I still def like Boychuk's game enough for that spot...and $1.875m for him is fine.

If the Flyers still wind up needing to fill someone in on that 3rd pairing, I wonder if Sean O'Donnell could cut it. He's 38, but I'm pretty sure he was still getting the job done ok for the Kings. He was previously making $1.25m per.

Annoying to see the Hawks and Bruins take Atlanta and Florida to task these past couple days. B's won their trade, although I don't think it was as bad for Florida as most seem to think. Hawks killed Atlanta on the Buff trade...that just sucks.

$6.9m is at least a mill too much for Marleau. $4m for Pavelski is nice.

I wouldn't be too happy about the Plekanec contract as a Habs fan. It's a little too much, and besides...after the way he gave up on the play on that Richards/Carter EN goal...I'd have wanted his ass shipped right out of town.

I keep seeing this talk that the B's are trying to deal Savard...they'd be crazy to do that, imo. He's got one of the nicest contracts around. They better get a king's ransom if they do move him...but I can't imagine looking to deal him in the first place if I'm them.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
I think that's a bit harsh, but it is a curious deal from the Hawks perspective. In their position, I don't get the real need for Sopel... I would have wanted someone else (you can sign a Sopel on the UFA market). I don't think Eager is a bad pickup as a banger (and if you get a coach that gets through to him, I still think he can be a quality NHL 3rd liner). Buff is the wild card... if he matures into what his size allows him to be, the dude can be a force.

However, and this is important, given the situation Atlanta is in... NHL-ready players are more important to them than late 1st rd and 2nd rd picks. That franchise is in a terrible situation in that market and they get a prominent player from last year's playoffs to put in their media guide.

I'm not overly familiar with the writer but a prior comment likened him to Eskin.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Yes, and this is why I'm losing all respect for the vast majority of Hawk fans and the idiots that seem to cover 'em. They don't seem to respect just how bad the cap situation is, and they don't seem to respect how much the key to that team was their depth all over the place. Buff and Sopel are big losses. Eager is a big loss because despite his shortcomings, he's a quality 4th liner that can play enough hockey to not embarrass himself if you need him on the 3rd line for a stretch or something (I will forever be annoyed by how stupid he is, though).

The problem is that I haven't seen anything written down in stone as to what their bonus situation is from the cup win, so until we see that it's hard to peg just how much room they have to work with. No matter the case, they're basically going to be cutting it VERY close to address the 3rd pairing D and their 4th line... and if they have any serious injuries next year the roster is going to lack guys that can move up the lineup very far.
I am personally not as sold on Buff as you might be (he's absolutely HORRIBLE defensively), but you're right that Sopel is a loss, he played some strong minutes for them in the Finals.

And I haven't interacted with many of the Hawks fans, but we have a strong "new fan" element now on this board, lots of guys with April/May/June 2010 join dates who think that we should be fine keeping Leighton and etc., so I'm betting the Hawks group have some of the same thing going on.

Tallon should be getting slammed harder though, it's nice that he got the ring and everything, but that team should have been a dynasty for a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Are you talking about the Atlanta deal, or am I missing something?
Yeah, Dudley used to be Chi-Town's assistant GM, he goes to ATL and within 3 months is helping Chicago out of a massive cap problem.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Yeah, Dudley used to be Chi-Town's assistant GM, he goes to ATL and within 3 months is helping Chicago out of a massive cap problem.
Oh. That is a little curious.

Maybe it's Ed Wade syndrome -- just furiously attempting to get guys he's familiar with from a place he was comfortable.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
I am personally not as sold on Buff as you might be (he's absolutely HORRIBLE defensively), but you're right that Sopel is a loss, he played some strong minutes for them in the Finals.

And I haven't interacted with many of the Hawks fans, but we have a strong "new fan" element now on this board, lots of guys with April/May/June 2010 join dates who think that we should be fine keeping Leighton and etc., so I'm betting the Hawks group have some of the same thing going on.

Tallon should be getting slammed harder though, it's nice that he got the ring and everything, but that team should have been a dynasty for a decade.
Buff isn't great, but he played a big role for 'em in the playoffs... and he was certainly an important element on their roster. That's going to need to be replaced... will they get the same production from him? Remember, guys like Buff create space for other players just by being out there and going places. Whether he can develop into a 20+ goal guy is what you really need to look for.

I've read 'em here and there... the Hawk's blogger on HB is a complete waste of time, and the folks in the message board (true of all teams on that site, IMO) largely represent a cesspool of ignorance.

As to Tallon... it's remarkable people aren't spending more time paying attention to the epic *ing fail job he did with that team. The Campbell contract was atrocious the moment he printed it out for him to sign... and is now a huge problem for them. Then you got the whole Huet situation... the dude he signed when he already had Khabi under contract and has NEVER served as the team's starter.

Take away Huet and they're at least somewhat flexible right now, and not dumping bodies left and right just so they can QO guys.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Buff isn't great, but he played a big role for 'em in the playoffs... and he was certainly an important element on their roster. That's going to need to be replaced... will they get the same production from him? Remember, guys like Buff create space for other players just by being out there and going places. Whether he can develop into a 20+ goal guy is what you really need to look for.

I've read 'em here and there... the Hawk's blogger on HB is a complete waste of time, and the folks in the message board (true of all teams on that site, IMO) largely represent a cesspool of ignorance.

As to Tallon... it's remarkable people aren't spending more time paying attention to the epic *ing fail job he did with that team. The Campbell contract was atrocious the moment he printed it out for him to sign... and is now a huge problem for them. Then you got the whole Huet situation... the dude he signed when he already had Khabi under contract and has NEVER served as the team's starter.

Take away Huet and they're at least somewhat flexible right now, and not dumping bodies left and right just so they can QO guys.
Yeah, but guys like Ladd and Brouwer (if they can keep Ladd) should help replace that size and I mean, Byfuglien played a big role for them in 1 series, it's not even like this was a 20 game run of excellence.

Plus, there have been work ethic questions with him I believe and now he's going to Atlanta, a perennial loser? Not a great match.

And yeah, maybe in 5 years people will realize what Tallon is done, but it's awful, makes Holmgren look like a cap genius.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Mo0sE

Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
Hartnell to LA Rumor: Sorry if this is old new to any of you

http://*************.blogspot.com/

Old
06-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0sE View Post
Hartnell to LA Rumor: Sorry if this is old new to any of you

http://*************.blogspot.com/
I think that site is borderline pure BS... but the Hartnell-LA link has been out there for a bit.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Bob McKenzie’s tweet: Wojtek Wolski has agreed to terms on a 2 year deal with the Coyotes for $7.6M.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:59 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Bob McKenzie’s tweet: Wojtek Wolski has agreed to terms on a 2 year deal with the Coyotes for $7.6M.
That's a nice deal for both sides.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That's a nice deal for both sides.
Yeah I think so too, never understood why Colorado was so eager to deal him.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Love it. He is one of my best young Wingers in a Salary Cap Keeper League.

Now if only Kovalchuk will sign cheap, then I would be primed for a championship.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

65 points in 80 games last season and he's only 24 years old. Also, he barely takes penalties. Great signing for Phoenix.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Yes, and this is why I'm losing all respect for the vast majority of Hawk fans and the idiots that seem to cover 'em. They don't seem to respect just how bad the cap situation is, and they don't seem to respect how much the key to that team was their depth all over the place. Buff and Sopel are big losses. Eager is a big loss because despite his shortcomings, he's a quality 4th liner that can play enough hockey to not embarrass himself if you need him on the 3rd line for a stretch or something (I will forever be annoyed by how stupid he is, though)..
With all do respect as someone who has posted on Flyers board for years as a Hawks fan what you dont understand is we have had to hear the same #### for the last 2 years

All we have heard was

- Hawks cant afford to keep Kane , Toews , Keith (((( Boom Stan Bowman resigns them)
- Hawks wont win cup because they couldn't get a goalie at deadline due to cap (((( Niemi steps up )
- Hawks cant get any good returns in trades because of cap (((( Yesterday's deal)

Sopel is headed for more offseason surgeries 2nd year in a row , Byfuglien is a no-show from Oct-Apr only to appear vs Canucks and in this years playoffs also vs Sharks and Flyers game 5/6. Eager is an idiot who was benched vs Preds because he was more concerned with trying to hurt Pred players rather then do anything relevant to the game fo hockey

Byfuglien , Sopel and Eager all made contributions for Hawks and we are thankful for that. But we have known that we needed to move players like them who are complimentary players

It was a toss up between Sharp and Byfuglien as far as who to keep. Sharp is signed for 2 more years and plays every game both ends of ice never taking a shift off

Byfuglien is a RFA in 1 yr and shows up when he feels like it.

Who would you keep?

Something you are not understanding is we are fine with guys like Dowell , Bickell , Skille and Connelly coming up from Rockford to replace Fraser , Eager , Versteeg and Sopel because we have been watching them develop in Rockford and have faith they will offset some of our lost depth

Bickell played some in the playoffs this year and looked solid. Skille has been waiting for 2 years for a RW slot to open up and is NHL ready. Dowell would have been on our team last year if Madden wasn't signed and Connelly is coming off a year in which he was the best player on our AHL team and is also NHL ready

We have been living with the fact our team was going to lose depth due to cap for a while now

We won the cup and now it is time to look forward to the future

Most of our core is signed longterm. I expect Hjalmarsson to be resigned longterm and Seabrook will actually be easier to resign longterm next offseason now because the bonus hits wont be there next year when he is an RFA and needs a raise (3.5 mil now , Should go up to 5 mil range).

We have some very good prospects in system

LW Kyle Beach (WHL/AHL) - Had good playoff in Rockford in 1st professional action and could be on our team next year after nearly making it last camp (1st round pick in 08)

C Jeremy Morin (OHL) - Hell of a better prospect then Aliu who got kicked off our AHL team twice already (2nd round pick in 09)

C Marcus Kruger (SEL) - Best rookie forward in Sweden and great at WJC (5th round pick in 09)

C Brandon Pirri (NCAA) - Led all rookies in NCAA in scoring (2nd round pick in 09)

RW Igor Makarov (KHL) - May come to camp to try and win roster spot this year (2nd round pick in 06)

D Dylan Olsen (NCAA) - Ended season as his teams #1 dman as a Freshman (1st round pick in 09)

D Shawn Lalonde (OHL/AHL) - Is going to spend next season in Rockford (2nd round pick in 08)

D Nick Leddy (NCAA) - Ended season as his teams #1 dman as a Freshman (1st round pick in 09)

In coming draft at this moment barring any other moves (Likely to see Ladd/Versteeg traded soon enough)

#24 , #30 , #43 , #54 , #60 and #90
Next year we have a 1st , 2 2nd's , 2 3rd's

As a Hawks fan I grew up watching our good players get dumped over Bill Wirtz not wanting to spend money. Seeing secondary players leave due to cap doesn't phase me as much.

Kane , Toews , Hossa , Bolland , Sharp , Brouwer as our top 6 next year + Seabrook , Keith , Hjalmarsson (Most likely) and Campbell as our top 4 next year

We will be fine , Might take a step back next year but for longterm the Hawks are in best shape in our franchise history

We all enjoyed guys like Byfuglien , Eager , Sopel , Versteeg , Ladd and Huet (Ok ,,,,, not Huet )

We have known this was gonna happen and we are happy to see Bowman doing well to make sure our future is as bright as possible

Old
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
With all do respect as someone who has posted on Flyers board for years as a Hawks fan what you dont understand is we have had to hear the same #### for the last 2 years
1) A lot of the hawks fans out there right now... have not been paying attention to hockey for 2 years. Well, maybe 2 years, but not much past that date.

2) Who cares? It's a salary cap nightmare, that's just the fact of it. I mean seriously, whining and crying because people are pointing out an obvious fact is absurd.

3) Yes, as to the rest of the post, the Hawks will be fine, but they will not be a juggernaut and the bottom of their roster will be exposed next year. The 3rd pairing on defense is almost certainly going to be a black hole given the current salary situation (they just don't have the money to spend anything on a 5th D, let alone a 6th... so probably going to lose more depth up front if you want a 3rd pairing). The 4th line is going to be weak, but that can be worked around.... however, not having a solid 4th line is a big factor for teams.

Hawks will be a good team next year, but they've come back to the pack with a quickness already. Maybe some of the young guys step up right away (doubtful, just not how it works for most) and so forth. However, "we've been hearing this for a while" isn't an excuse for outright ignorance. Sorry. Get over it. Put on your big boy pants and have real conversations about what's going on with the salary cap, and maintain some level of objectivity... it ain't peaches and cream when you're gutting the bottom of your roster.

And, as noted, if they have any injury problems next year they're going to have a lot less cover to get through it... and if Niemi isn't the real deal, they're completely *ed.

Old
06-25-2010, 04:15 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
We have known this was gonna happen and we are happy to see Bowman doing well to make sure our future is as bright as possible
Stan Bowman craps out Stanley Cups after a big supper, err...congrats and you're lucky to have him in the organization.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Kaktus*

I think Flyers can sign Carter at 6.3-6.5M a year 9 year deal. A little less then Marleau but much longer secure future.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I think Flyers can sign Carter at 6.3-6.5M a year 9 year deal. A little less then Marleau but much longer secure future.
I'm not really interested in Carter at 9 years, but if we do sign him for that long, it better be a LOT less than 6.5M.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:58 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
I'm not really interested in Carter at 9 years, but if we do sign him for that long, it better be a LOT less than 6.5M.
To use a too-often seen post.... THIS.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with 9 years in the first place. But at $6.5 million, Carter becomes one of the highest paid players of his draft class, which is ridiculous.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
To use a too-often seen post.... THIS.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with 9 years in the first place. But at $6.5 million, Carter becomes one of the highest paid players of his draft class, which is ridiculous.
Well, in fairness, they're all about to hit a big contract... haven't gotten there yet for the most part.

Closed Thread