HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lombardi, Hextall, Solomon and Murray - 2 Year Extensions; Stevens 3 Year Contract

Old
06-23-2010, 10:05 PM
tantrum4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The only reason Murray was extended was because they wanted to sign Stevens to a 3 year deal. How would it look if Murray had 1 year left and Stevens was signed for 3?

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray does not finish his extension.
Riiiiiight.....

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Best signing of the summer. When the time on the extension is up Lombardi can take over for Leiweke as President of the LA Kings and Hextall can become GM. That way we don't have to see Leiweke connected to the Kings in any way.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Right, and the coaches have nothing to do with that eh? So why do coaches get fired if their team is doing bad? Why not just fire the GM instead?
His point, and it's a valid one, was that the voting for coach of the year goes to coaches who coach teams to big jumps in the standings, rather than a coach who has maintained an excellent team for a long time. Those teams are often understood to be good because they have good players instead of great coaching. I know, it boggles the mind, but that's why we don't get to vote for these things.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
TM deserved an extension, whether you like his system or not. He got the results.
Exactly. And if DL can land a bigger UFA than Smyth, imagine how much better results TM can achieve.

I have no problem w/ TM.

I see much more pressure on DL than on TM.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
His point, and it's a valid one, was that the voting for coach of the year goes to coaches who coach teams to big jumps in the standings, rather than a coach who has maintained an excellent team for a long time. Those teams are often understood to be good because they have good players instead of great coaching. I know, it boggles the mind, but that's why we don't get to vote for these things.
I disagree totally. If you look back at the last 6 winners, only this year did the coach that took a crappy team to the playoffs win it. Julien, Boudreau, Vignault, Ruff and Tortorella all had decent teams the year before and only had small improvements...You could go back further but I don't feel like looking them all up..

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:37 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Best signing of the summer. When the time on the extension is up Lombardi can take over for Leiweke as President of the LA Kings and Hextall can become GM. That way we don't have to see Leiweke connected to the Kings in any way.
Dean already is the President of the Kings...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:57 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I'm sure that re-singing the GM is the best signing of the Summer. If it is, we won't be better next season.

K17...are you in fact Lombardi? That's quite the statement to make.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:22 AM
LAKings4ever

Great news, love the extensions for both DL & TM...both have done great jobs. TM is teaching 2 way hockey, players have to be responsible for both ends of the ice. TM guided this team to one of its best season ever - this is something we should all be enjoying. This is what we have and it is working.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I'm sure that re-singing the GM is the best signing of the Summer. If it is, we won't be better next season.

K17...are you in fact Lombardi? That's quite the statement to make.
I have been telling all of you that the Kings aren't getting Kovalchuk, haven't I?

Seriously though, management is everything these days. And yes, I think having Lombardi signed to continue with the building of the organization is a crucial part of this team's future.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:52 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I have been telling all of you that the Kings aren't getting Kovalchuk, haven't I?

Seriously though, management is everything these days. And yes, I think having Lombardi signed to continue with the building of the organization is a crucial part of this team's future.
I don't disagree, I just feel that calling this the best signing of the off-season is over the top. That is unless you feel he won't sign anyone significant and will only make a trade.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:19 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Hammond's phone chat with Stevens
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/06/23...iew/#more-6374

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Johnny Utah

I like the Stevens move, I know people are saying we are the Flyer's of the West, but I don't mind that. The attitude and aura that surrounds that organization is similar to that of the Red Wings, and like knowing that we are bringing in the people that want to instill that in our young guys.

I'll never forget that quote Quincey had when he got dealt, something along the lines of Lombardi and Hextall were building a Flyer type team and he enjoyed being part of that.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:47 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Some of you people that are mad Murray got re signed are really showing your true hockey knowledge. So what you're saying is you're upset that we just re signed the coach who ended up 5th in voting for the Jack Adams award? Makes sense...
He would have WON IT had he NOT shoved Randy Jones down our throats...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:03 AM
ean

Quote:
Some of you people that are mad Murray got re signed are really showing your true hockey knowledge. So what you're saying is you're upset that we just re signed the coach who ended up 5th in voting for the Jack Adams award? Makes sense...
TM is a coach who brings the most archaic approach ever to the game. This team has way too much offensive talent now to be running the cycle 50 times in the corner until you turn the puck over. The defensive discipline he put in place was good, but beyond our blue line we were always lost, save for PP.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:07 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Right, and the coaches have nothing to do with that eh? So why do coaches get fired if their team is doing bad? Why not just fire the GM instead?
Because the GM makes the decision to fire the coach to save his job....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
CharlieGirl

Stevens should do fine as an assistant coach - it's when he's a head coach that he gets lost.

Just hope to hell he has no say in the defense, or you'll see Randy Jones get as much ice time as Doughty. Jules on the Flyers board did a photoshop of a Randy and John sleepover - that's how bad it was...

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
With all the extensions, hopefully this ends all that stupid speculation that Lombardi is going to get fired if the Kings don't win 2 Stanley Cups next season.

Just read Rich's phone call with him. Not a mention of Randy Jones?

Last edited by GKJ: 06-24-2010 at 09:39 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Lieweekly is AEG President or Governor...something along those lines. Not the president of the LA Kings. That's already Dean's title.

This is Dean Lombardi's title...Los Angeles Kings President/General Manager.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
TM is a coach who brings the most archaic approach ever to the game. This team has way too much offensive talent now to be running the cycle 50 times in the corner until you turn the puck over. The defensive discipline he put in place was good, but beyond our blue line we were always lost, save for PP.
Yeah. We can run around like our heads were chopped off like we did under Crawford. No thanks.
Every team cycles the puck. The ones that are really good at it & get it to the front of the net win games. We got a lot better at it this year, as evidenced by our improvement in 5-on-5 scoring. We can get better.
TM is archaic? I'm sorry, is there some new, magic way of playing hockey that lets you win without playing defense, back-checking, working hard in the corners & along the boards, and going to the front of the net?
Could you show it to me, pray tell?
And don't trot out Detroit or Chicago to me. They do all of these things. They're very talented, they work very hard, and they have complete buy-in to their system so that everyone works together. We're getting there. But we're not going to get there by abandoning the things that make hockey teams successful.
I'm perfectly happy with TM. Look at the horrible things he's done in the last year:
Quote:
Murray guided the Kings to 46 wins last season, tying a club record. They set a club record with 24 road wins and 51 road points. Their overall total of 101 points was the third-best in team history.
Wow. Fire him.
Don't care whether you like his style or not. He's teaching our team the right way to play & getting results from it.

Last edited by Sybil227: 06-24-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Yeah. We can run around like our heads were chopped off like we did under Crawford. No thanks.
Every team cycles the puck. The ones that are really good at it & get it to the front of the net win games. We got a lot better at it this year, as evidenced by our improvement in 5-on-5 scoring. We can get better.
TM is archaic? I'm sorry, is there some new, magic way of playing hockey that lets you win without playing defense, back-checking, working hard in the corners & along the boards, and going to the front of the net?
Could you show it to me, pray tell?
And don't trot out Detroit or Chicago to me. They do all of these things. They're very talented, they work very hard, and they have complete buy-in to their system so that everyone works together. We're getting there. But we're not going to get there by abandoning the things that make hockey teams successful.
I'm perfectly happy with TM. Look at the horrible things he's done in the last year:
Wow. Fire him.
Don't care whether you like his style or not. He's teaching our team the right way to play & getting results from it.
Yeah -- a good offensive zone cycle is like the ground game in football. It isn't flashy, but it wears on your opponent, forces mistakes, sets 'em up for the big strike and keeps their offense bottled up.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote