Notices

Tod Button says recent draft record "Pretty good"

Old
06-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Roadrage

vCash: 500
Tod Button says recent draft record "Pretty good"

Link to Calgary Herald article

Intresting read and from the looks of it, the Flames employ 8 full time and 4 part time scouts. 1 of the full timers scouts Sweden (explains the number of Swedes picked) and 1 part timer scout is based Finland. Guessing they do scout the rest of Europe as well but it isn't mentioned.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
flames123

Read that last night and have to agree with the "better than perceived" stance from Button. We had a few bad years and that really set us back even though we now have quite the group of good prospects.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

But the Gods here at HF know otherwise. Flames drafting sucks. Just ask anyone on these boards. :-)

CGYPUKSUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
it's pretty good at best. I'm happy with the last 2 years or so of drafting, but I really hope Sutter starts keeping his 1st round picks

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:30 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
it's pretty good at best. I'm happy with the last 2 years or so of drafting, but I really hope Sutter starts keeping his 1st round picks
+1 to that

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Northern Neighbour

Until the drafts actually start bearing fruit, it's hard to characterize the recent drafts as being "pretty good".

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:57 AM
tfong

Pretty good for the number of players we have that can play in the NHL. But without solid top six prospects, we won't get anywhere and that is where Flames scouting has dropped the ball. Sure we have all these "safe" NHLers, which is what they are basing their scouting numbers around, but unless Howse or Backlund or Nemiesz come up big, we're going to be in trouble upfront fairly soon.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:10 PM
saillias

Flames head scout says flames drafting pretty good... more news at 11

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
chriss_co

i agree that the flames drafting has been pretty good.. BUT the problem is the majority of NHL teams have drafted better than pretty good the past few years too... which means, many teams have passed us in terms of drafting high end talent players..

there's no question we are bringing in NHL capable players.. kudos to the scouts on doing that.. but compared to the rest of the league, we have fallen behind

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:00 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Pretty good for the number of players we have that can play in the NHL. But without solid top six prospects, we won't get anywhere and that is where Flames scouting has dropped the ball. Sure we have all these "safe" NHLers, which is what they are basing their scouting numbers around, but unless Howse or Backlund or Nemiesz come up big, we're going to be in trouble upfront fairly soon.
Name a team that has "solid top six prospects"? No team has solid top six prospects. They have prospects they hope will be able to step into the top six, but there are no guarantees.

Which would you rather have? A bunch of over-rated prospects like the Oilers, who continually disappoint and never develop into anything, or a group of prospects who end up suprising every now and then? The Oilers have been awesome at drafting; just as their fans. They have always had future superstars in development, but always come up a little short. The propaganda mill works overtime up there. Schremp, Cogs, Gags, etc. Are those the "solid top six prospects" that impress you?

I know, you'd rather have Eberle than any of the Flames prospects, right? Yeah, a small, not overly fast, player has a huge future in the NHL. He can be thankful that he scored three Ryan Smyth type garbage goals for Team Canada in the world juniors (if you added up the distance those goals were scored from would they reach the hashmarks?) but I'm not certain that translates to success in a league where defensemen are trying to take your head off around the goal. A "solid top six prospect"? I'm not so sure. I'll wait to get excited when he finally sticks in the NHL. To be honest with you, the hype surrounding him is vaguely familiar. I wonder if he'll show up at training camp and wow people with his amazing tricks with the puck and lacrosse skills?

I wouldn't be too worried about what the Flames have up front. Sutter knows what he is doing and I doubt he's going to draft junk. We have a few more years to go before worrying about who is replacing Iginla and company.

CGYPUKSUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:53 PM
kurtcobang

That was my favourite post of all time!!!!

kurtcobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Flames head scout says flames drafting pretty good... more news at 11
yeah...hilarious....what do you expect him to say?

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
yeah...hilarious....what do you expect him to say?
Preferably "Anyone hiring?"

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
GoFlames

I would love to see the following prospects in our top 6 in the next 3 years: Backlund (well he appears a legit roster player now but I put him here as he has not had a full rookie season), Nemisz, Wahl, Cameron, Howse. Crap the Flames have potential 5 top 6 to top 9 prospects with one of them in Backlund making the juump late this season. The sky is not falling, the opposite is starting to show signs. Then on D we have solid guys in Brodie, Negrin, Pelech and Erixon... I for one am looking forward to the enxt few years to see if these guys can actually make the jump.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen View Post
Name a team that has "solid top six prospects"? No team has solid top six prospects. They have prospects they hope will be able to step into the top six, but there are no guarantees.

Which would you rather have? A bunch of over-rated prospects like the Oilers, who continually disappoint and never develop into anything, or a group of prospects who end up suprising every now and then? The Oilers have been awesome at drafting; just as their fans. They have always had future superstars in development, but always come up a little short. The propaganda mill works overtime up there. Schremp, Cogs, Gags, etc. Are those the "solid top six prospects" that impress you?

I know, you'd rather have Eberle than any of the Flames prospects, right? Yeah, a small, not overly fast, player has a huge future in the NHL. He can be thankful that he scored three Ryan Smyth type garbage goals for Team Canada in the world juniors (if you added up the distance those goals were scored from would they reach the hashmarks?) but I'm not certain that translates to success in a league where defensemen are trying to take your head off around the goal. A "solid top six prospect"? I'm not so sure. I'll wait to get excited when he finally sticks in the NHL. To be honest with you, the hype surrounding him is vaguely familiar. I wonder if he'll show up at training camp and wow people with his amazing tricks with the puck and lacrosse skills?

I wouldn't be too worried about what the Flames have up front. Sutter knows what he is doing and I doubt he's going to draft junk. We have a few more years to go before worrying about who is replacing Iginla and company.
only oiler fans were overvaluing schremp cogs and gagner... but i wouldnt hate on the oilers prospect pool now.. with gagner, (probably) hall, eberle, MSP they have a formidable group that can develop into what the blackhawks have

and i dont think we have any top line prospects in our system.. sure backlund, niemisz, erixon and howse all look good right now.. the key is how good do they look compared to everyone else who is about to break into the league... to me, backlund will be a very good 2nd line center... niemisz a solid 2nd line RWer and erixon a solid #3 defenceman.. howse is still a few yrs away from saying if he can even make the NHL..

for too many years, the flames have developed prospects who have looked great in the WHL/OHL/QMJHL then start to fizzle once the AHL rolls around or the NHL rolls around... we thought kobasew was a sure thing his rookie year.. many thought puustinen looked great with the wheat kings... or what about danny ryder.. or tim ramholt? im sure there are many more but those are the ones that come to mind

the point is, far too many times we have overhyped a prospect when in reality their calibre was never that high when comparing with the rest of the league's farm teams..

i think our farm team is stocked with NHL capable players who will succeed as depth players.. but by no means do we have a good stock of top 6 forwards

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote