HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill V

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Pavelski and Wolski are better players than Frolov and outproduced him. Frolov isn't worth anything over $3.5M. If a team is willing to overpay for him, more power to them.
Waaaaaait a minute. How about that puck possession thing that Frolovians have been clamoring about. Isn't puck possession worth something?

Fro would be lucky to get 3.5M after his lackluster year.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Not with Terry Murray behind the bench.
You know Kopi would at least come really close, considering he put up 81 with Smyth on his LW.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Waaaaaait a minute. How about that puck possession thing that Frolovians have been clamoring about. Isn't puck possession worth something?

Fro would be lucky to get 3.5M after his lackluster year.
I'm thinking some team will pay him close to five. If Huselius got 4.75 then it shouldn't be a problem for Frolov to get something similar while being a comparable player who is younger and better defensively.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:08 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I'm thinking some team will pay him close to five. If Huselius got 4.75 then it shouldn't be a problem for Frolov to get something similar while being a comparable player who is younger and better defensively.
Hey, there is always that.

And to be quite honest, I expect Fro to have a good bounce back season. I wouldn't be at all surprised with 30+ goals.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I like your thinking, but no way would this be quiet....Wouldn't the Kings have to send the contract to the league for approval? That would get leaked by someone (capgeek is pretty fast with the updates).
Unless they haven't sent it in for league approval yet, and do it just before the draft tomorrow.

I know, I know, it's a fantasy.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:30 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Unless they haven't sent it in for league approval yet, and do it just before the draft tomorrow.

Would be pretty awesome for the fans at Staples, that's for sure.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Some philly source is twitting that Hamhuis and philly are not even close to coming to a deal. I don't know why but I have a smile on my face.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post

Or maybe it's one of those things like with Hossa. No one here know about it until after Hossa was a Hawk.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
...You're damn right it was luck....But winning the Stanley Cup relies too much on little bounces, freak injuries, and unlikely supporting guys to say anything with certainty.

..... but overspending for only one CHANCE at the cup is illogical and most likely going to end in heartache.
It's not just luck. Luck happens for ALL teams in the playoffs. The best prepared team wins - good luck, bad luck, good calls, bad calls, and all. You hire and train and prepare the best talent you can and let them go at it.

"Overspending" may be the only way you can get to the finals in the cap era. We could also "Underspend" our way to second round and out for five years too. Is that luck? Or just an unwillingness to alter plans when presented with opportunity?

Old
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Pavelski and Wolski are better players than Frolov and outproduced him. Frolov isn't worth anything over $3.5M. If a team is willing to overpay for him, more power to them.
Huh?

Pavelski and Wolski were RFAs. That's a totally different situation.

Just because Frolov had and off year production wise doesn't mean his value is totally diminished. He'll easily get over 4M on the open market, and rightfully so.

Career point per game averages
Frolov: .71
Pavelski: .64
Wolski: .65

Old
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

SO the Habs have yet to qualify Beniot Poulliet (sp?) which obviously means that they're signing Frolov on the 1st.

I'm calling this a i5 (al la Eklund)

Old
06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
SO the Habs have yet to qualify Beniot Poulliet (sp?) which obviously means that they're signing Frolov on the 1st.

I'm calling this a i5 (al la Eklund)
He has to take his physical still.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:31 PM
silverstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Personally, I think we own Kovy's rights and he is already signed. They just want to wait for tomorrow to announce it.
I would ***t and cream my pants at the same time

Old
06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Sign me up on the theory of kovy getting announced as a king tomorrow... and i really dont want him.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He has to take his physical still.

/me snaps on glove...

Old
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
Sign me up on the theory of kovy getting announced as a king tomorrow... and i really dont want him.

That just blows my mind. How could anyone not want a guy that has had 6 straight 40 goal seasons (including two 50 goal seasons) and has only been outscored by AO since the lockout?

Old
06-24-2010, 05:20 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
It's not just luck. Luck happens for ALL teams in the playoffs. The best prepared team wins - good luck, bad luck, good calls, bad calls, and all. You hire and train and prepare the best talent you can and let them go at it.

"Overspending" may be the only way you can get to the finals in the cap era. We could also "Underspend" our way to second round and out for five years too. Is that luck? Or just an unwillingness to alter plans when presented with opportunity?
I think the idea is to put your club into position to be well prepared to take advantage of the lucky breaks year after year rather than putting your club into to position to take advantage of the lucky breaks one year or two.

Old
06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
I think the idea is to put your club into position to be well prepared to take advantage of the lucky breaks year after year rather than putting your club into to position to take advantage of the lucky breaks one year or two.
Still no one has explained how signing Kovalchuk only gives us a one or two year opportunity...

Old
06-24-2010, 05:25 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Still no one has explained how signing Kovalchuk only gives us a one or two year opportunity...
Depends what the cap hit is, doesn't it?

Old
06-24-2010, 05:40 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Do you really think Lombardi will sign him to a cap hit that doesn't fit? Not a chance. If DL signs him, the cap will fit so he can sign everyone esle like Doughty and the boys. That's why signing Kovi doesn't just give us a two year window.

Old
06-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
And what will that be?

I don't think I've seen anyone on here advocate giving him a maximum contract or anything close to that. I think most people hope he can get signed for a CAP hit of $8m or less. In which case, how does that give the Kings a 1 or 2 year window? I've posted numbers for the 2011/2012 season, please be my guest and dissect them. It is a legitimate discussion to have but I don't think the potential 11/12 CAP situation is as grim as people keep making it out to be.

Old
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Do you really think Lombardi will sign him to a cap hit that doesn't fit? Not a chance. If DL signs him, the cap will fit so he can sign everyone esle like Doughty and the boys. That's why signing Kovi doesn't just give us a two year window.
If Lombardi does not sign Kovalchuk, will we all agree that his decision to protect cap space for upcoming years was the right one to make? Or will we ***** and moan about Lombardi not doing what it takes to win?

Old
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
If Lombardi does not sign Kovalchuk, will we all agree that his decision to protect cap space for upcoming years was the right one to make? Or will we ***** and moan about Lombardi not doing what it takes to win?
People will ***** and moan regardless of what happens. I think Ben Franklin once said "there are no guarantees in life except death and Kings fans *****ing". Yeah I'm pretty sure that is how the saying goes.

Old
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
And what will that be?
Couldn't tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I don't think I've seen anyone on here advocate giving him a maximum contract or anything close to that. I think most people hope he can get signed for a CAP hit of $8m or less. In which case, how does that give the Kings a 1 or 2 year window? I've posted numbers for the 2011/2012 season, please be my guest and dissect them. It is a legitimate discussion to have but I don't think the potential 11/12 CAP situation is as grim as people keep making it out to be.
First of all, my comment about the window above was a general response to Duc620's speculation that it might be necessary in the Salary Cap Era to forget about long term success and overspend at the right moment to go for a Stanley Cup. That's not precisely the case in Chicago (Huet's and Campbell's contracts put them in that mess, both contracts were widely derided when they were signed, and neither contributed much to the win), but whatever.

I'll stipulate to your analysis: a cap number of $8M leaves the club enough room to take care of contracts coming up in the near term.

1)Does the club make that kind of commitment, to this particular player, for eight or nine years? You make that commitment to a player you know well, but perhaps not to a player you don't know well.

2) What if the player wants $9M? Or $10M?

Old
06-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Huh?

Pavelski and Wolski were RFAs. That's a totally different situation.

Just because Frolov had and off year production wise doesn't mean his value is totally diminished. He'll easily get over 4M on the open market, and rightfully so.

Career point per game averages
Frolov: .71
Pavelski: .64
Wolski: .65
Frolov has been regressing statistically while the other two are improving. He has had two consecutive off-years, he's not getting younger, and the physical toll on his body is showing (consecutive seasons with groin problems).

Frolov isn't any better than J.P. Dumont or Ray Whitney, two players who were earning between $3.5M to $4M. That is about the right range for Frolov, with $4M being the maximum offer he should get.

Closed Thread