HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Ribs has a ton of skill, but he is not a player I'd be interested in. His attitude is questionable. Plus Dallas is looking for a roster dman in return.

Old
06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Would anyone trade Legwand for Mikko Koivu even up? Not asking if Minny or we would, but if you were a GM, would you make that trade either direction? What about Legwand for Weiss even up?

Old
06-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Would anyone trade Legwand for Mikko Koivu even up? Not asking if Minny or we would, but if you were a GM, would you make that trade either direction? What about Legwand for Weiss even up?
Mikko HELL YES

Weiss Probably considering weiss has had two 60 point seasons back to back...

Old
06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Mikko is one of my favorite players and I'd love him on the team. However, he only has 1 year left on his contract before he hits free agency. His raise could be scary big, not to mention he could walk and we're screwed. I'd have to pass unless Mikko came with an extension

Old
06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Mikko is one of my favorite players and I'd love him on the team. However, he only has 1 year left on his contract before he hits free agency. His raise could be scary big, not to mention he could walk and we're screwed. I'd have to pass unless Mikko came with an extension
I think the one year deal works great for us to be honest...

Old
06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I think the one year deal works great for us to be honest...
Not at the cost it would take to acquire him from Minnesota...

Old
06-24-2010, 06:48 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Not at the cost it would take to acquire him from Minnesota...
Not necessarily. It would open up a $4.5 million slot in the roster which could be filled via free agency. Haven't looked at next years class of free agents but with Ward, Sully and Smithson coming off the books, Weber will get his extension and you'd have the slot opened by Legwand's salary. If Koivu liked it here and we could re-sign him to Legwand money or even a little more, I think it's worth it. If he leaves, we go out and sign someone else.

I'm a proponent of keeping Legwand but if there is an offer on the table like Koivu or Weiss, I think it should be explored. Weiss is a better fit as he's about $1.5 less in salary and signed for another 3 years I believe. Koivu is a risk but he's also a pretty talented forward who wins faceoffs which is something we lack in the middle.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:27 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think what Slake is saying is that the cost of a trade for Mikko wouldn't be worth the risk of not being able to re-sign him next season. If you're Poile you have to ask yourself how much money you project to have available next season after locking up players you HAVE to lock up (i.e. Weber/Suter) and also filling in holes that will inevitably open.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think what Slake is saying is that the cost of a trade for Mikko wouldn't be worth the risk of not being able to re-sign him next season. If you're Poile you have to ask yourself how much money you project to have available next season after locking up players you HAVE to lock up (i.e. Weber/Suter) and also filling in holes that will inevitably open.
Exactly. Despite him being a year away from UFA status...Minnesota is going to want quite a bounty for their team captain and No. 1 center. I'm not sure that him being a year away from UFA status is a "benefit" to us as proposed by JoeTimo when you consider the cost of the bounty needed to acquire him from the Wild...

Old
06-24-2010, 07:30 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
After looking at next years free agent class, not a lot of forwards worth going after. No to Koivu unless we can re-sign him or Weiss for Legwand would be something I'd consider.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think it's going to be extremely difficult to fit the assumed criteria of an offensive threat, top six forward we can afford who is also on the tail end of a contract, but not necessarily at the tail end of his career. From what I've been reading lately this seems to be what fans around here expect to happen. I think Poile has become confident in his ability to find gems in players who have abilities, but aren't good fits with their current teams. I think we're going to see another post-season where the Predators make a few under-the-radar type signings that end up putting up numbers that aren't eye-popping, but numbers most didn't expect. Yeah yeah I know... same ol' same ol'. I'm really going out on a limb here, huh?

Old
06-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

How about targeting Lombardi on July 1st? Inexpensive, 28 years old, plays C/W, hard working "Trotz" type of player, more offensive flair than Leggy. Or is he too redundant?

Old
06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
How about targeting Lombardi on July 1st? Inexpensive, 28 years old, plays C/W, hard working "Trotz" type of player, more offensive flair than Leggy. Or is he too redundant?
he's scored 20 goals once in his career

Old
06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
he's scored 20 goals once in his career
So? Goals aren't everything. Not to mention he would have been our leading scorer in less games played than anyone on our team last year.

I'm just sayin, he fits our budget. We cannot afford a Marleau, Spezza, or Savard.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:57 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
So? Goals aren't everything. Not to mention he would have been our leading scorer in less games played than anyone on our team last year.

I'm just sayin, he fits our budget. We cannot afford a Marleau, Spezza, or Savard.
I think he'd be a good fit.

Old
06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:

Quote:
I think he'd be a good fit.
we just sold arnott off for pennies ... Boyd won't be qualified due to that transaction ... surely their is someone we can afford for 3 million, I know I know we've got to save some money for the Weber/Suter contracts

Old
06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
he is a guy i would go after. can't teach speed.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Not necessarily. It would open up a $4.5 million slot in the roster which could be filled via free agency. Haven't looked at next years class of free agents but with Ward, Sully and Smithson coming off the books, Weber will get his extension and you'd have the slot opened by Legwand's salary. If Koivu liked it here and we could re-sign him to Legwand money or even a little more, I think it's worth it. If he leaves, we go out and sign someone else.

I'm a proponent of keeping Legwand but if there is an offer on the table like Koivu or Weiss, I think it should be explored. Weiss is a better fit as he's about $1.5 less in salary and signed for another 3 years I believe. Koivu is a risk but he's also a pretty talented forward who wins faceoffs which is something we lack in the middle.
Plus if they'll take Legwand his trade value is becoming less with his age. I think he needs a new start in another market. I think the pressure of being the franchise player was too much for him. I like this trade Koivu or Weiss. You know Poile and Trotz are a little frustrated with Legwand for not being the leader they need. I think one of the problems with this team is that we don't have any leaders. Thus the meltdown in game 5 truely illustrated that. I was shocked that they traded Arnott. I welcomed it but I never dreamed that Poile would ever do that. But now that he's done it's time to change the playing field. But if they don't they'll have Legwand back on the checking line like they always have done. I hope I'm wrong on all counts

Old
06-24-2010, 11:54 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I wouldn't offer him more than $3.5M.

Old
06-25-2010, 05:21 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Plus if they'll take Legwand his trade value is becoming less with his age. I think he needs a new start in another market. I think the pressure of being the franchise player was too much for him. I like this trade Koivu or Weiss. You know Poile and Trotz are a little frustrated with Legwand for not being the leader they need. I think one of the problems with this team is that we don't have any leaders. Thus the meltdown in game 5 truely illustrated that. I was shocked that they traded Arnott. I welcomed it but I never dreamed that Poile would ever do that. But now that he's done it's time to change the playing field. But if they don't they'll have Legwand back on the checking line like they always have done. I hope I'm wrong on all counts
First of all, the likelihood of trading Legwand isn't good. I know the same was said about Arnott, but Legwand is younger and has been practically molded by Trotz to be a Predator. I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon, and if he's gone via a trade it seems much more likely to happen in a few years at the deadline rather than this off season.

Second, I don't see how you can seriously think this team has NO leaders. Several fans have mentioned how Legwand himself is one of the most vocal leaders on the ice during practices and training camp. He might not be a great candidate for captain, but that's something you'll never find out for sure without trying. Sullivan is a good lead-by-example guy. He went out for two seasons with a nearly-crippling back injury, worked hard, and go back on the ice. He is great with younger players, and has the work ethic to succeed. Suter was a fantastic alternate for Team USA. He wore a freakin' A on the world's biggest hockey stage. That has to say something. There are plenty of leaders on this team.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:31 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I really don't see this organization, under the current management, with the "build from within" mentality that we play by, EVER trading Legwand except to try and get him on a playoff team for a chance to win The Prize. And even then it would be almost like a loan.

I truly believe that, deserving or not, #11 will be hanging from the rafters when the kid decides to retire. It's this franchise's first ever pick. Is he the best? I do not think so. But he was the first and has been here since the beginning. When it all falls down I truly think he will be here.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:35 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29 View Post
I really don't see this organization, under the current management, with the "build from within" mentality that we play by, EVER trading Legwand except to try and get him on a playoff team for a chance to win The Prize. And even then it would be almost like a loan.

I truly believe that, deserving or not, #11 will be hanging from the rafters when the kid decides to retire. It's this franchise's first ever pick. Is he the best? I do not think so. But he was the first and has been here since the beginning. When it all falls down I truly think he will be here.
I agree with you but that's why I prefaced it if you were the GM, would you do it. If you could land Weiss, who has three years remaining on a very friendly contract and a proven 60 point a year guy, would you do it? Koivu is another story since he's a free agent after next season. If you could sign Koviu to an extension, then would you do it?

Old
06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I wouldn't mind giving a guy like Stempniak a shot as well. We can afford to take a chance on guys like this.

06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
I agree with you but that's why I prefaced it if you were the GM, would you do it. If you could land Weiss, who has three years remaining on a very friendly contract and a proven 60 point a year guy, would you do it? Koivu is another story since he's a free agent after next season. If you could sign Koviu to an extension, then would you do it?
Heck to the yeah.

I'm just throwing the reality cold water in the mix.

But heck yeah.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
If we could get Koivu, I would be willing to give up legwand + Mikko does everything, power play, even strength, PK. Kid is a stud.

Closed Thread