HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF's NYR Draft Preview

Old
06-24-2010, 11:08 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
I'd love the Rangers to get Niederreiter, though I don't think he'll be passed on in favor of NA players. Really, I'd love to see them get Campbell. This kid had the demeanor of a star when he came in during the WJC. At one of the youngest players on the team, he stepped in at goal and was fantastic. In 4-5years, Henke's contract is expiring and he could be ready. The timing is right and I really like the way this kid looks. USA has a shot at back-to-back golds with him backstopping the squad...he looks that good.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
My reasoning with Burmistrov, who I like better than Johansen, is that Skinner is a better finisher, and Burmistrov is so light--he looks smaller, even though Skinner is shorter.
you could make an argument that skinner is the better choice for us compared to burmistrov if.... tarasenko is no longer in play. no doubt, skinner has a world class shot. he can finish and score goals and that does project to the next level. but...

i would disagree that skinner is the best choice for us. burmistrov may be thin, but his frame @ 6'0 tall will allow him to add weight and he should play at something near 185 in 2 years. 6'0 185 is not big, but with his skating, smarts and elusiveness and toughness i might add- he got rocked alot last season and he kept going and in fact he even dished some out, i would think he can flourish with his skillset. his playmaking skills, passing ability and 2 way play are something we lack as an organization.

ill admit, im a huge alex fan and would be verry happy if we grab him with our first pick. still planning on tarasenko being the guy though. his overall ability to score goals and take over games is a notch better than burmistrov but not by much.

skinner is a guy i would consider but only if those 2 are off the board.

again, ill add, burmistrov may well be the first russian taken in this draft.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you could make an argument that skinner is the better choice for us compared to burmistrov if.... tarasenko is no longer in play. no doubt, skinner has a world class shot. he can finish and score goals and that does project to the next level. but...

i would disagree that skinner is the best choice for us. burmistrov may be thin, but his frame @ 6'0 tall will allow him to add weight and he should play at something near 185 in 2 years. 6'0 185 is not big, but with his skating, smarts and elusiveness and toughness i might add- he got rocked alot last season and he kept going and in fact he even dished some out, i would think he can flourish with his skillset. his playmaking skills, passing ability and 2 way play are something we lack as an organization.

ill admit, im a huge alex fan and would be verry happy if we grab him with our first pick. still planning on tarasenko being the guy though. his overall ability to score goals and take over games is a notch better than burmistrov but not by much.

skinner is a guy i would consider but only if those 2 are off the board.

again, ill add, burmistrov may well be the first russian taken in this draft.
I agree that the pick is likely to be Tarasenko. But, I would also say that Burmistrov, outside of Seguin, could be the best fit for the Rangers in this draft. If he reaches his potential, we are looking at a superb play-making center, who could slide between Dubinsky and Gaborik, and become a 70-80 point player, with grit, and solid defensive play. Tarasenko is likely to be the better offensive player, and his the ability to reach the NHL sooner, but, Burmistrov is EXACTLY what the Rangers need.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I agree that the pick is likely to be Tarasenko. But, I would also say that Burmistrov, outside of Seguin, could be the best fit for the Rangers in this draft. If he reaches his potential, we are looking at a superb play-making center, who could slide between Dubinsky and Gaborik, and become a 70-80 point player, with grit, and solid defensive play. Tarasenko is likely to be the better offensive player, and his the ability to reach the NHL sooner, but, Burmistrov is EXACTLY what the Rangers need.
Burmistrov is definitely the name I want to hear the Rangers call on draft day. Also I had mentioned somewhere the latest I'd seen on Burmistrov had him at 168lbs but I just saw something today that has him at 175lbs which isn't really that bad at all for an 18 year old, if true. He could put on 30 pounds by the time he's 24 or so and be 6'0, 200+ in his prime, if he wanted to be. Look how much weight Kovy and Ovie have put on.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
free0717

Im really feeling the lack of love for Johansen. The guy was a late bloomer, his first year of major Junior and got better and better as the year went along.

Johansen led the Hawks in Playoff Scoring. On that youtube video of Johansen, you can see he has a tremendous set of Jets.

I would be Ecstatic if Johansen fell in our laps. As far as Skinner goes, I have a feeling he is the chronic overachiever and when and if he gets to the NHL, he wont amount to much. Nigel Dawes scored like crazy in Juniors but he is lucky to get 15 goals in the NHL

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Im really feeling the lack of love for Johansen. The guy was a late bloomer, his first year of major Junior and got better and better as the year went along.

Johansen led the Hawks in Playoff Scoring. On that youtube video of Johansen, you can see he has a tremendous set of Jets.

I would be Ecstatic if Johansen fell in our laps. As far as Skinner goes, I have a feeling he is the chronic overachiever and when and if he gets to the NHL, he wont amount to much. Nigel Dawes scored like crazy in Juniors but he is lucky to get 15 goals in the NHL
Johansen is my definite second choice behind Burmistrov. I'll be happy with either, though I like Burmy better. Definitely not feeling Skinner though.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

For some reason picking Skinner scares the Jebus out of me.

I'd like any of Burmistrov, Tarasenko, Johansen or Niederreiter. Connolly I wouldn't mind either, but he is a risk. I'd hope he's checked out by a medical staff before we made that kind of commitment.

In the second round it'd be nice to come up with Brock Nelson, Teemu Pulkkinen, Petr Straka or if he really plummits and Santa Clause loves us...Kiril Kabanov.

This could wind up being a good draft for the Rangers.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
IMO, there is no greater need on the Rangers than a #1.
In my eyes our greatest need is goal scoring wingers with finishing ability.... Not too worried at Center with Stepan, Anisimov, Werek (3rd line type) in the works, despite neither being a lock to develop into a true #1.... Even if we draft a guy who projects to be a #1, it will be up in the air whether that happens or not.... For those reasons I'm hoping the Rangers select a player who displays the best ability to score goals and I'll be happy with either Tarasenko or Skinner.... The former, first, the latter second....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Looks like Leslie forgot about MZA.

"Left wing is another position of strength within the Rangers system. Evgeny Grachev and Chris Kreider played on the left side for the 2009-10 season and both are growing into the role of power forward. Carl Hagelin and Dane Byers are also left wing prospects who are expected to compete for third and fourth line roles in the coming years."

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 05:42 PM
malfobi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
For some reason picking Skinner scares the Jebus out of me.

I'd like any of Burmistrov, Tarasenko, Johansen or Niederreiter. Connolly I wouldn't mind either, but he is a risk. I'd hope he's checked out by a medical staff before we made that kind of commitment.

In the second round it'd be nice to come up with Brock Nelson, Teemu Pulkkinen, Petr Straka or if he really plummits and Santa Clause loves us...Kiril Kabanov.

This could wind up being a good draft for the Rangers.
Because Skinner has the feel of Pavel Brendl 2.0?

malfobi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Looks like Leslie forgot about MZA.

"Left wing is another position of strength within the Rangers system. Evgeny Grachev and Chris Kreider played on the left side for the 2009-10 season and both are growing into the role of power forward. Carl Hagelin and Dane Byers are also left wing prospects who are expected to compete for third and fourth line roles in the coming years."
Did not forget him, but at the time I wrote this, he had not yet been officially signed. Did not update it. My mistake, but its still a position of strength--only more so.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Did not forget him, but at the time I wrote this, he had not yet been officially signed. Did not update it. My mistake, but its still a position of strength--only more so.
I though MZA was a left shooting RWer.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I though MZA was a left shooting RWer.
I think he plays both sides, but hockeydb lists him as a LW. Long term, we are probably better off if he's a RW because we'll probably be solid on the LW.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Heard from a reliable source late last night that the "short list" is down to one player. So the Rangers have one guy in mind. I, of course, did not get a name, but this will not be just a "best player available" pick.

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 06-25-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: To clarify
Old
06-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Heard from a reliable source late last night that the "short list" is down to one player. So the Rangers have one guy in mind. I, of course, did not get a name, but this will not be best player available.
We heard something similar from Edge.

Though be careful with wording it as "this will not be the best player available". I take it you mean "their strategy isn't have a list of guys and select the best one remaining when it's their turn to pick. Instead they have one specific player they really really want and will try to do anything to get him".

But it sounds like you're insinuating that they're keying in a guy that isn't as good as other players that will probably be available

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
We heard something similar from Edge.

Though be careful with wording it as "this will not be the best player available". I take it you mean "their strategy isn't have a list of guys and select the best one remaining when it's their turn to pick. Instead they have one specific player they really really want and will try to do anything to get him".

But it sounds like you're insinuating that they're keying in a guy that isn't as good as other players that will probably be available
Did not mean to insinuate any such thing. It's just not going to be a BPA pick--they have one guy they want. thanks for pointing out a possible confusion. I clarified.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Levitate

No worries, I figured you didn't, but I read that and imagined people blowing up because they thought the Rangers were targeting, I don't know, McIlrath

Old
06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Heard from a reliable source late last night that the "short list" is down to one player. So the Rangers have one guy in mind. I, of course, did not get a name, but this will not be just a "best player available" pick.
Just speculation, but, if Lutchenko met with Tarasenko, and he's confident we can get him over, that very well could've narrowed to him as the "one player."

We very well could think Tarasenko is third best player in the draft and also be confident that he will be available based on nationality... making him our "one player" target.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
No worries, I figured you didn't, but I read that and imagined people blowing up because they thought the Rangers were targeting, I don't know, McIlrath
not a chance in .....

Old
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Just speculation, but, if Lutchenko met with Tarasenko, and he's confident we can get him over, that very well could've narrowed to him as the "one player."

We very well could think Tarasenko is third best player in the draft and also be confident that he will be available based on nationality... making him our "one player" target.
Tarasenko and Connolly are the only two players I see fitting this description.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Tarasenko and Connolly are the only two players I see fitting this description.
To be honest, I think Johanson is still a possibility. If they really really like him, and with all the press he's getting and shooting up the charts, they could be thinking "oh **** someone's going to get him before we do"

Old
06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
To be honest, I think Johanson is still a possibility. If they really really like him, and with all the press he's getting and shooting up the charts, they could be thinking "oh **** someone's going to get him before we do"
Who's the Ranger scout for the WHL, who has he discovered?

Old
06-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Levitate

No idea. Rangers haven't picked a whole lot of guys from the WHL since 2005. Weise and Dale Hunter, and obviously they're later round guys.

in 2005 they took 4 from the WHL, with Sauer and Dupont being the legitimate prospects.

Byers Dubinsky and Dawes before that.

Don't know if it's the same scout though

Old
06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
No idea. Rangers haven't picked a whole lot of guys from the WHL since 2005. Weise and Dale Hunter, and obviously they're later round guys.

in 2005 they took 4 from the WHL, with Sauer and Dupont being the legitimate prospects.

Byers Dubinsky and Dawes before that.

Don't know if it's the same scout though
I am not filled with confidence.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Levitate

Yeah I wouldn't exactly be either, though if they were keying in one guy, I think they send a lot of their staff to see him.

Not sure if they've also had the chance to draft a lot of guys from the WHL in the first round lately either