HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(from summer 2010) Gagne for Tim Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Guest123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
There are pretty consistent rumors about Savard's availability. It would make very little sense for them to trade Savard and then acquire Briere. Of course it's just a rumor, but still.
Maybe they traded Savard because they knew they could acquire Kaberle? Good trade for Boston and immediately makes the very scary.

Trade Savard,Wideman,15th
Acquire Horton,Kaberle, Campbell

Not bad.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:47 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I am starting to think we can get Nabokov for 3 years 12 mill ????
Where else will he get more money. Have Ericcson and Bobka hopefully take over when he is ready.

Does this work cap wise if we move Carle for a pick or don't end up signing Hamhuis ?

Old
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
There are pretty consistent rumors about Savard's availability. It would make very little sense for them to trade Savard and then acquire Briere. Of course it's just a rumor, but still.
They need to move out a center for their draft pick. Everyone has assumed it would be Bergeron, but maybe they value him long term.

Old
06-23-2010, 09:04 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They need to move out a center for their draft pick. Everyone has assumed it would be Bergeron, but maybe they value him long term.
And I think Bergy is a UFA net year, but I think they have no problem extending him for the same $$ , if not a little less on a 5-6 year term.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sources: Flyers Inquire About Boston Goalie Thomas

Holmgren scares the crap out of me right now......I still don't know that keeping Carter is a good thing if supposedly you could get Bernier for him....I just hope by tonight and the weekend things become clearer but I have a feeling Holmgren is going to do something out in left field in the end..

Quote:
LOS ANGELES – Goalie Tim Thomas is 36 years old and would cost $5 million a year in cap space, “if” someone decided to make a trade with Boston.

Sources at the Board of Governors confirmed on Thursday that Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and Boston’s Peter Chiarelli have spoken about the netminder, who has three years left on his contract and has been replaced as a starter by Tuukka Rask.

Chiarelli is trying hard to unload Thomas and has spoken to a number of clubs. Neither Holmgren nor Chiarelli would comment.

Flyers’ sources say, however, they consider Thomas “too expensive,” despite his 2.56 goals-against average and .915 save percentage in 43 games last season.

Outside sources say, however, the Flyers are willing to move two players “if” they decide to go the Thomas route and “if” it’s the right players to move. Those sources added the only untouchable Flyers are Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

That said, these sources have the impression that, in the end, the Flyers may end up re-signing Michael Leighton.

There were rumors here this week that the Flyers and Los Angeles have talked about acquiring one of two goalies: Jonathan Quick or Jonathan Bernier. The Kings want Carter, but again, the Flyers won’t offer him.

Earlier on Thursday, sources said the Flyers were not close on reaching an agreement with soon-to-be unrestricted free agent defenseman Dan Hamhuis, who they traded for over the weekend.

Hamhuis’ agent, Wade Arnott, is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth at least $16 million.

“They may have to move [Braydon] Coburn to get the Hamhuis deal done,” one NHL executive said
Source: http://www.csnphilly.com/06/24/10/So...260370&feedID=

Old
06-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Komarov47

I sincerely don't know who the hell will be ready to sign Thomas and his big contract... I fear an end a la Manny Fernandez, even if Timmy's got at least one year under his belt.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1376
From Sam at the Inquirer:

Quote:
Team has no interest in Tim Thomas.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:40 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
No interest in Thomas?

Duh. Only a total idiot would even inquire about him. That contract is awful.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Woo-hoo!

Old
06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
No interest in Thomas?

Duh. Only a total idiot would even inquire about him. That contract is awful.
If they'd do Briere for Thomas, it would be beautiful.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Dare to dream.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
jb**

One positive about Thomas is he doesnt have a lot of mileage on his body. So age may not be that much of a factor. The cotnract and being over 35 is the issue. I think he can have 2 very good years left if not 3. If he sucks you tell him he has to go on LTIR or else!

Old
06-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
One positive about Thomas is he doesnt have a lot of mileage on his body. So age may not be that much of a factor. The cotnract and being over 35 is the issue. I think he can have 2 very good years left if not 3. If he sucks you tell him he has to go on LTIR or else!
1) He's having hip surgery (or had).

2) LTIRing an over 35 contract is easier said than done... if the guy doesn't want to do it, you're *ed of course, and even if he does he better have a legit medical problem because the neutral doc isn't going to OK the LTIR if he doesn't.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
jb**

Quote:
1) He's having hip surgery (or had).

2) LTIRing an over 35 contract is easier said than done... if the guy doesn't want to do it, you're *ed of course, and even if he does he better have a legit medical problem because the neutral doc isn't going to OK the LTIR if he doesn't.
if he is having surgery or just had it then why even sniff around, as that is foolish.

I was kidding with the LTIR thats why i said or else.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Why, give up a ppg playoff guy for an overpaid 35+ bad contract and keep a guy who has 18pts in 41 playoff games? Seriously people, get your collective heads out of your arse.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Why, give up a ppg playoff guy for an overpaid 35+ bad contract and keep a guy who has 18pts in 41 playoff games? Seriously people, get your collective heads out of your arse.
Give it the **** up already.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Do tell.

Quote:
I swear, some people need to get a grip and realize that if this team is going to move on and get better Carter needs to go.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:46 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Do tell.
LOL - okay, so you said it nicer than I did.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

EKlund seems to believe the Flyers are now debating between signing Hammer and trading for Thomas. Normally it wouldn't faze me because it's Eklund... But he has been extremely accurate so far. This is getting scarier. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Carter or Gagne going to Boston for Thomas+ tonight. Hopefully I'm wrong.

06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
EKlund seems to believe the Flyers are now debating between signing Hammer and trading for Thomas. Normally it wouldn't faze me because it's Eklund... But he has been extremely accurate so far. This is getting scarier. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Carter or Gagne going to Boston for Thomas+ tonight. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I'd throw up.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Cuz Jeff Carter is a better hockey player than Danny Briere today, and by the end of that contract he'll be an even better hockey player... and it gets us out from under an albatross cap hit.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:56 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'd throw up.
Collective Philadelphia gag reflex. Only way I'd do that would be Thomas + 2nd for Carter and some other thing. I just don't want Carter gone. If they do trade him might as well get Seguin back, which Boston probs wouldn't do.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Between taking on Thomas's contract and signing Hamhuis to a $5 million dollar contract, I'll take Tim Thomas and our current D personnel (+ a vet 3rd pairing guy), provided it is as a straight salary dump. I mean, they can have an AHL guy, but nobody like Gagne or Carter. If we are gonna pay that type of price for a keeper, I wanna start looking at the newer models.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Cuz Jeff Carter is a better hockey player than Danny Briere today, and by the end of that contract he'll be an even better hockey player... and it gets us out from under an albatross cap hit.
Jester is right. IF push came to shove, our Centers for the future are Giroux, Richards and Carter. You can put crap on the wings if you have too (a la Pittsburgh) but we need to keep our young guns down the middle.

I'd move Briere and his contract if possible. You guys forget Briere is signed for another 5 YEARS.

He is 32 already. EDIT: He will be 33 in October when the season starts up again. In 2 years he is toast, and then we have him signed for another 3.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
jb**

Quote:
Between taking on Thomas's contract and signing Hamhuis to a $5 million dollar contract, I'll take Tim Thomas and our current D personnel (+ a vet 3rd pairing guy), provided it is as a straight salary dump. I mean, they can have an AHL guy, but nobody like Gagne or Carter. If we are gonna pay that type of price for a keeper, I wanna start looking at the newer models.
Agree as well. I think boston will let him go for next to nothing. Then again Shooter will give a 1st+ lol. We al ready have a good top 4. Add that solid #5 guy and mayb ea vert #6 as well. Would like to see some salary removed though. Make them take boucher at all cost.

Closed Thread