HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Dreger: Florida Offering 15th Overall Pick

Old
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
CanadianPantherFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Penner is a crappy version of Horton.
This. And,an overpaid often overweight lazy SOB. Oh, he had a good season last year...would you like a cookie Dusty

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Yep 1.00 AM, and yep I'll sure be watching it.
Sucks that it's Sweden's biggest holiday tommorow aswell. Everyone will be out partying and I'll be watching the draft.
God bless Sweden. Big fan

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Toydarian

Coming from an Edmonton fan, no one on a 30th place team is untouchable. The 1st overall, MPS, Eberle, etc... are obviously not going to be moved, and I would include Gagner in that group as EDM has very little center dept. Would FLA fans consider Cogliano + R. Nash (2007 21st overall pick) + 31st for the 15th to be acceptable? I'm more so trying to gauge what FLA considers a good deal.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
Coming from an Edmonton fan, no one on a 30th place team is untouchable. The 1st overall, MPS, Eberle, etc... are obviously not going to be moved, and I would include Gagner in that group as EDM has very little center dept. Would FLA fans consider Cogliano + R. Nash (2007 21st overall pick) + 31st for the 15th to be acceptable? I'm more so trying to gauge what FLA considers a good deal.
I would decline that. We pick at 33 and 36 already anyways, and I'm not a fan of Cogliano or Nash.

How about 15+Reinprecht for Gagner? Reino can fill the center spot left by Gagner.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Toydarian

I don't want to be an obnoxious fan claiming player "X" is untouchable but if the Oilers decide to draft Hall over Seguin and do your proposed trade that would leave Horcoff as the Oilers first line Center, which isn't so hot, because of that I don't think Gagner is expendable for the Oilers.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:52 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
I don't want to be an obnoxious fan claiming player "X" is untouchable but if the Oilers decide to draft Hall over Seguin and do your proposed trade that would leave Horcoff as the Oilers first line Center, which isn't so hot, because of that I don't think Gagner is expendable for the Oilers.
Fair enough. Our biggest need is center though. I don't think the teams are good trading partners.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
How would Panther fans feel about

Ladd + Versteeg for #15?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Ladd + Versteeg for #15?
Done.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Ladd + Versteeg for #15?
done

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:27 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
done
What they said

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Great8Cam

yup.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:56 AM
PanthersRule96

Ive been thinking for a while that Ladd+Versteeg for the 15th is a very distinct possibility. It would help us, even though I'm not a huge Ladd fan.

Ever since Versteeg broke into the league, I've pictured him as being a terrific fit in FLA. Now that Tallon's here, it makes it much more possible.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Ive been thinking for a while that Ladd+Versteeg for the 15th is a very distinct possibility. It would help us, even though I'm not a huge Ladd fan.

Ever since Versteeg broke into the league, I've pictured him as being a terrific fit in FLA. Now that Tallon's here, it makes it much more possible.
I wanna stop talking about it and have it happen so i can celebrate.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:44 AM
PanthersRule96

I'm actually a little nervous about that proposed deal. Versteeg is very talented and shifty, handles the puck very well, almost like a more elusive version of Stephen Weiss, but I believe Versteeg is faster and has a better shot. Is he a 2nd liner though who will simply always be around a 25-25-50 type of guy or does he have potential to improve to a 30-30-60 or better type player? We could surely use someone who could even put up 50 points, but if he's the main focus of the other team's defense and relied on to put up points, how will he fare? Based on his career track thus far, he seems to be a late bloomer, so there is probably ample room to improve upon what he's already done. He reminds me of Ray Whitney when he has the puck.

With Ladd it can go one of two ways; he can either end up improving and will put up similar stats to his time in CHI if given a bigger role with the Panthers, or he'll produce less because he's not protected by the great talent they had in Chicago.

Realistically, what are the chances we pick up a guy at 15 overall that will be able to put up 50+ points a season in the NHL? I don't think they're necessarily that high and it'll be a while before they develop, so by trading the 15th for two guys who are each capable of scoring 20+ goals, one of which who could end up being a top line guy, I think we're benefitting our team in both the short term and the long term.

Old
06-25-2010, 02:00 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Jason Spezza needs to become a Panther. It could be a monstrous trade tomorrow in order for it to work, but I'm hoping Tallon could work something out.

Versteeg and Ladd for the 15th wouldn't happen. We'd have to throw them a prospect as well. Are they both RFA's?

Last edited by JonathanHuberdoh: 06-25-2010 at 02:06 AM.
JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Jason Spezza needs to become a Panther. It could be a monstrous trade tomorrow in order for it to work, but I'm hoping Tallon could work something out.

Versteeg and Ladd for the 15th wouldn't happen. We'd have to throw them a prospect as well. Are they both RFA's?
Ladd is an RFA
Versteeg is signed for 2 more years at slightly over 3 mil + is a RFA after this contract expires

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:18 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'm actually a little nervous about that proposed deal. Versteeg is very talented and shifty, handles the puck very well, almost like a more elusive version of Stephen Weiss, but I believe Versteeg is faster and has a better shot. Is he a 2nd liner though who will simply always be around a 25-25-50 type of guy or does he have potential to improve to a 30-30-60 or better type player? We could surely use someone who could even put up 50 points, but if he's the main focus of the other team's defense and relied on to put up points, how will he fare? Based on his career track thus far, he seems to be a late bloomer, so there is probably ample room to improve upon what he's already done. He reminds me of Ray Whitney when he has the puck.

With Ladd it can go one of two ways; he can either end up improving and will put up similar stats to his time in CHI if given a bigger role with the Panthers, or he'll produce less because he's not protected by the great talent they had in Chicago.

Realistically, what are the chances we pick up a guy at 15 overall that will be able to put up 50+ points a season in the NHL? I don't think they're necessarily that high and it'll be a while before they develop, so by trading the 15th for two guys who are each capable of scoring 20+ goals, one of which who could end up being a top line guy, I think we're benefitting our team in both the short term and the long term.
Not very good. And considering it wouldn't be for at least two years that #15 pick if it can get Ladd and Veersteeg has to go. We're keeping Vokoun so we're trying to make the playoffs. Throwing Ladd and Veersteeg into the lineup immediately makes us better.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:30 AM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Is anybody opposed to picking Tarasenko at 15 if hes there? Hes not your prototypical Russian. Plays a VERY North American game, goes to the net and hits like a mad man very Ovechkin like with his physical game. He also plays in a league with men therefore is more NHL ready than any of the other prospects. His downsides, for being Russian he doesn't have a ton of speed but that can be worked on, also his dad is the coach on the team he plays on and he will probably stay in Russian for a year or 2 developing then come over. He plays with a ton of passion as well, much like Ovechkin. There are scouts saying the Rangers take him at 10 but I think they will pass and take Skinner with his leadership abilities to compliment guys like Dubinsky and Callahan.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-PANTHERS-10 View Post
Is anybody opposed to picking Tarasenko at 15 if hes there? Hes not your prototypical Russian. Plays a VERY North American game, goes to the net and hits like a mad man very Ovechkin like with his physical game. He also plays in a league with men therefore is more NHL ready than any of the other prospects. His downsides, for being Russian he doesn't have a ton of speed but that can be worked on, also his dad is the coach on the team he plays on and he will probably stay in Russian for a year or 2 developing then come over. He plays with a ton of passion as well, much like Ovechkin. There are scouts saying the Rangers take him at 10 but I think they will pass and take Skinner with his leadership abilities to compliment guys like Dubinsky and Callahan.
He goes to the net hard. I like him. I would take him at 15.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Based on the interviews on the Panthers site from yesterday with Tallon & Luce, I'm thinking that they're looking to trade down a few spots and add another selection in like the 3rd round. Luce basically said that starting at #15, its the 3rd tier of players which lasts until around #45 so anyone in that range is basically just complimentary type players and why not just trade back a few spots and add more picks at that point.

I'd love for them to trade up to #8 with Atlanta (who's shopping their pick) but not sure we'd have what they want. Dudley as GM in Atlanta worked under Tallon in Chicago so there's room for those 2 to talk and get somehting done with the #8 & #15 involved.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
PanthersRule96

I don't think we'll pick at 15, but if we do, I 100% want Tarasenko if he's available. We've been lucky with finding steals that dropped these past few years (Frolik, Markstrom, Repik, Shore, Olesz (didn't turn out as well)). Hopefully Tarasenko continues that trend.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
I don't think we'll pick at 15, but if we do, I 100% want Tarasenko if he's available. We've been lucky with finding steals that dropped these past few years (Frolik, Markstrom, Repik, Shore, Olesz (didn't turn out as well)). Hopefully Tarasenko continues that trend.
OMG someone just used the words "lucky"' "steal" & Olesz in the same sentence.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:32 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
OMG someone just used the words "lucky"' "steal" & Olesz in the same sentence.
He should take his act on last comic standing huh? haha. But, for realz, how awesome would it be if Olesz started using his thunder thighs to drag the punk in along the boards and park himself in front of then net? Oh yea, lets also add picking up another move to the wish list.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
He should take his act on last comic standing huh? haha. But, for realz, how awesome would it be if Olesz started using his thunder thighs to drag the punk in along the boards and park himself in front of then net? Oh yea, lets also add picking up another move to the wish list.
It's crazy, but an illogical portion of my brain still has hope that the light bulb will go off for Olesz.

I say this every year.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:45 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing his "hand to the ear" move a few more times because that would mean he's actually scoring. But seriously, he has to break out this year. Maybe Tallon will sit him down a give him a polite kick in the ass.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote