HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Ray Whitney's Rights

Old
06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Ray Whitney's Rights

Are we even shopping Whitney's rights at all? It seems like he's going to be one of the more desirable pieces as a forward this offseason, so why not try to move his rights for SOMETHING. I realize he still has the NTC in effect, but you would think he would waive it to help the team on his way out to help offset the penalty of not being able to keep him after the way the deadline played out.

What gives?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:25 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

For all we know, JR is. I think most, if not all teams who are considering him will probably just wait til July 1st.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:23 AM
caniac247

What's the point. Let's say Whitney did the org a favor and waived his NTC and Nashville got his rights. Whitney/Nashville can't come to a contract cause he never wanted to play there in the first place and he signs with Pitt on July 1st. Don't we end up giving Nashville a pick or something back?

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:47 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
What's the point. Let's say Whitney did the org a favor and waived his NTC and Nashville got his rights. Whitney/Nashville can't come to a contract cause he never wanted to play there in the first place and he signs with Pitt on July 1st. Don't we end up giving Nashville a pick or something back?
Yeah, the only thing that would really make sense would be for a team like the Pens to pre-emptively ship us a 6th or something just to have an exclusive window to negotiate with Ray.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:54 AM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Ray Whitney wouldn't want to inconvenience his family by talking on the phone with his agent over the next week. Besides, he Wants To Be Here™ and has Done So Much For This Franchise™. Give him what he wants with a NTC, JR.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 06-24-2010 at 10:04 AM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Ray Whitney wouldn't want to inconvience his family by talking on the phone with his agent over the next week. Besides, he Wants To Be Here™ and has Done So Much For This Franchise™. Give him what he wants with a NTC, JR.
bazinga!

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 08:42 AM
totalkev

Apparently, JR won't trade his rights because that would hurt our chances of re-signing him. UGH! JR can be a blind idiot when it comes to his dealings with our aging veterans.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Apparently, JR won't trade his rights because that would hurt our chances of re-signing him. UGH! JR can be a blind idiot when it comes to his dealings with our aging veterans.
yep, this one is all on JR. From giving him an NTC in order to save a bit of money to not trading Whitney even though it's highly unlikely he signs before (or even on) July 1st anyway.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Not sure what JR is thinking here. I'm sure a team like Pittsburgh will have plenty of interest in Ray come July 1, if JR was smart he'd get a feel for the market of who's interested and who'd like to have negotiating rights. Even if we just get a late pick, its better than nothing.

As I said before, this is all JR's game in my opinion. He did it last summer with Cole & LaRose and he's doing it this go around with Whitney. Play your cards close to your chest, make it look like you're standing firm at your position only hoping to get the player to talk and give in, even just a bit. My money has always been on Whitney returning and I still feel that way. JR will re-sign Ray and he will give him closer to what he wants as we get closer to the end here. If you KNOW he is going to test the market and likely get higher offers elsewhere like JR has said, why the hell keep him and not get ANYTHING for him? Makes no sense at all. I'm calling a 2 year deal at 3 million per. In the end, it's closer to what Ray wants dollar wise and in the eyes of JR he has a vet in the lineup with the kids for the next 2 seasons. We're quite a young team so truth be told having a vet of Whitney's age isn't a bad thing. Do I want him back? No. We've been down this road too long, cut the cord.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
caniac247

Who even knows if a team wants to acquire his rights. All I know is that Pittsburgh has been chasing Volchenkov's rights, they might not even be worrying about Whitney right now.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Who even knows if a team wants to acquire his rights. All I know is that Pittsburgh has been chasing Volchenkov's rights, they might not even be worrying about Whitney right now.
Very true. Pittsburgh, among others, may have bigger fish to fry. I just don't get it though, JR seems to have absolutely zero interest in dealing Whitney's rights yet he's come out and said he's going to test the market because what JR has offered and what Ray (along with JR's beliefs) thinks he can get on the open market is better. It's a bit mind boggling. Which leads me to believe this is all in how JR is playing his hand and we'll give Whitney close to what he wants. Why else would JR be so against dealing Whitney's rights? Perhaps because JR knows he wants him back and he'll likely get a deal done closer or right around July 1. JR wants that last minute time and has no interest in letting someone else have it. I have no doubts he'll be back and i'll be very surprised if he isn't.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote