HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's our 1st line Center coming from?

Old
06-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I've not read the whole thread but I haven't seen Matt Lombardi's name anywhere. Now he is not what you would call a #1 center by any means (although he did center the Coyotes #1 line this year) but he's a card carrying NHL center, excellent all around player and relatively young. He could be a very good value signing while the Rangers wait for other players to mature. And while he will probably command 3-4years at $3.5+, that's not too far out of line. If the Coyotes don't think they can sign him, he will be traded before June 30th.
I would like Lombardi here, but I think he'll be vastly overpaid this summer, seeing how a couple of centers have already been re-signed. He's such an underrated player though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Is Pavol Demitra really not an option at this point? I think he is worth the risk for a 1 year experiment if better UFA options are available after this season.

Demitra to Gaborik
as
Straka to Jagr
I would go ape-**** if we signed Demitra. Even if he wanted to play here for free, I'd tell him to go **** himself.

I don't understand why a number of people here are assuming he's going to sign a cheap 1-year deal. He's 35 years old. He'll be looking for a little job security. Not a 1 year deal.

He played like, 25 games this year. He hasn't played a full season since the early part of the decade. Only a fool would even consider Demitra a good option for this club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanzzilla View Post
I for one am pumped about getting to see EC play a full season, as Gaborik's center. The guy made so many highlight reel plays last season that there's no way you can't be excited. I certainly won't be forgetting that goal against the devils anytime soon. Torts got him to work on his game in all areas and great things started to happen. Rooting for him all the way..
Meh.

Highlight reel plays are overrated. His passing, is overrated. He's not going to progress that much in his career, but I think he's a fine stop-gap. He wouldn't be my first choice. Certainly wouldn't be my last one either.

I love rooting for the underdog. I just don't see long-term success with EC. He needs therapy, imo. Needs to go work the field with an angry hick who brushes his teeth with jack daniels. He's too fragile, mentally.

When the game is on the line, I want a 1st line Center who's not only solid offensively, but exceptional in every other aspect of his position. Those guys are rare though, and would cost waaa'aaaay too much to even consider.

The Capitals can probably put together some type of package to pry Lundqvist from us. But odds are their team gives up too much, and that leaves them thin in other areas.

Teams around the league have enough value to acquire almost anybody. You don't see it done often for a reason. Spezza isn't a realistic target. Lecavalier's contract makes Reddens look like Brashear's. We dodged bullets with Marleau and Pleks signing their contracts.

I'm waiting for someone to post a scenario where Modano would serve as a good band-aid.. Or create a ridiculous thread that involves trading Staal, or trying to acquire a Center from Boston that doesn't have us on his NTC.

When you're certain the team you root for doesn't have a realistic chance at winning the Cup, you avoid idiotic temptations to BUY BUY BUY. Patience. Wait it out, and maintain the approach that got us back into the playoffs which is building from within. That takes time.

We're not at the first or second stage where it's going to take years and years to get out of this slump. Fortunately, Sather hasn't traded away our prospects. And for the most part, the kids have come through for us. There's no reason to believe that the second wave of prospects coming up will fail. They're hands down, superior to the guys we rave about nowadays.

An unfortunate passing, and some god-awful signings have put us in a bind, but nothing lasts forever. Wait it out. Let the kids develop. Target players that play a two-way game, hustle, and produce. But only if you can sign them for a reasonable price.

Every single off-season, the same crowd gets caught up in the same arguments. Short-sided approach to building a contender. Quick fixes. It's the same thing over and over. We need Texeira and Burnett! We need Heatley! We need Kovy! We need Spezza! We need Lebron! We need Cliff Lee!

Some of you are on the Ribeiro/Richards fetish. Others think broken parts like Demitra's a good option. Others, think it's realistically possible for us to acquire Spezza or Savard, while improving our team. And finally, the junior bacon cheeseburger crew that's become obsessed with Kovalchuk.

Groundhogs day, I tell 'ya. Over and over.

Last edited by Boom Boom Geoffrion*: 06-25-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

The offseason is long. Here's another wild idea

Matt Gilroy, Ryan Bourque, Brian Boyle, 10th overall for Marc Savard!

I would CONSIDER upgrading Bourque to Kreider but I don't know if I'd do it. We're already giving up the 10th overall, and with Savard's concussion concerns and age and Boston's desire for cap relief, I think this is actually pretty fair value:

Boston clears about 2.25 million, gets the 10th overall pick in this year's draft, 2 young Boston kids, and one of Ray's sons.

Then:
Redden to Hartford!
Buy out Drury!
Sign Kovalchuk!

Kovalchuk Savard Callahan
Dubinsky Christensen Gaborik
Grachev Anisimov Zuccarello-Ausen
Prust Avery Shelley

Staal Rozsival
Del Zotto Girardi
Valentenko / McDonagh / Sanguinetti / Cheap vet UFA (I'd like Wallin. I'd still love Strudwick for the 6/7 spot)

Lundqvist
Auld

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:42 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse30 View Post
I'd take Jokinen back for $3 million.

So would I but as long as it's a 1 year deal. For that 3 mill I would rather see us bring in a D-man but if we dont and have cap space might as well bring Joki back for 1 more season. It helps keeps us somewhat competitive plus we could always swing him for a draft pick come trade deadline.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 08:23 AM
The_Chosen_One

I'd stay away from signing any centers and rather develop them internally. Stepan, Christensen, Anisimov, and the rest should be sufficient. Instead, inquiring a top flight winger may be more effective. I don't think this piece must be Kovy ( would be nice), nor must the play be made this season. Rather, we should try to exploit cap situations such as the one that may arise with Semin.

Outside of that: let the kids develop.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

The fact that we pay a HORRIBLE defenseman 6mm a year, and have ERIC FREAKIN' CHRISTENSEN as our #1 Center is a complete and total disgrace.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Where do you guys see Anisimov slotting next year? He made some insane progress this year, and I wouldn't be shocked to see 20 goals out of him next season if he's put on a good line. I really want to see him put up as the 2nd line center, and I think it may happen considering Boyle has been playing as our 4th line center, and Torts obviously isn't afraid of keeping Drury as our 3rd.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Is Pavol Demitra really not an option at this point? I think he is worth the risk for a 1 year experiment if better UFA options are available after this season.

Demitra to Gaborik
as
Straka to Jagr
Demitra doesn't play well with Gaborik. If Demitra's signed he'll probably be on the 2nd line, LW.

Dubi-Christ-Gaborik
Demitra-Anisimov-Callahan/MZA

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Where do you guys see Anisimov slotting next year? He made some insane progress this year, and I wouldn't be shocked to see 20 goals out of him next season if he's put on a good line. I really want to see him put up as the 2nd line center, and I think it may happen considering Boyle has been playing as our 4th line center, and Torts obviously isn't afraid of keeping Drury as our 3rd.
Barring us acquiring Savard somehow, I think he will start the season as the 2nd line center with Drury on line 3. Christensen on the Gaborik line.

I agree, I think the kid can be a Nik ANtropov type producer. Depends f he takes as long to fully develop as Nik.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:53 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Personally if they wont offer 5 million or more for volchenkov they do not want Rozsival at a 5 mill cap hit. To get Spezza, I'd have to say that a blue ribbon or two would definitely be included.

Dubinsky, Grachev, Gilroy, plus swapping first rounders that is if ottawa has one.

I remember hearing they have taken in the past 6 first rounds 4 of them were defensemen. So they would want offense help. Maybe switch Gilroy for Rozsival but idk Spezza is a tough price tag to get a beat on...
Getting Spezza starts with MDZ or Staal. There's no reason for them to want Roszival, and Gilroy doesn't hold that much value. If you proposed Staal/MDZ, Grachev, and swapping picks, then it'd be a much more realistic trade.

Still want Spezza?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:52 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Getting Spezza starts with MDZ or Staal. There's no reason for them to want Roszival, and Gilroy doesn't hold that much value. If you proposed Staal/MDZ, Grachev, and swapping picks, then it'd be a much more realistic trade.

Still want Spezza?
Nope. Those two, imo are our most important pieces on this big club at this point.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
How many goals did Gaborik score with average centers? 42.

Does Gaborik need an overpaid center? No.

Moving on.

We need SCORING DEPTH on more then one line.
We need both playmakers and scorers. The team is stacked with role players and grinders, but lacks skill players in general.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote