Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

WHL EDM bound?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2005, 02:59 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
WHL EDM bound?

an article in the Journal today (subscription req'd, so no link) says that EDM might be in the running for the Tri Cities franchise. From the article it sounds liket the owner of that club would rather move the team to Chiliwack, while the league wants them in EDM.

The last line also says that Prince George could be up for relocation as well.

Anyone heard that things are further along this year than they were last year when these type of rumors surfaced?

Old
03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Kitsune

If PG is relocated, it should be back in Victoria!

Old
03-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Round John

From what I've heard the PG thing could be happening sooner than Tri Cities.

Attendance is down and the economy is still terrible in PG and the wood business isn't looking like it'll turn around any time soon.

Edmonton was also the destination mentioned for the Cougars.

Old
03-07-2005, 08:35 PM
BCCHL inactive

I don't think the WHL is keen on losing Prince George. The city and the fans have proven they can support a WHL team. It is of no coincidence that the same thing that happened to a Rick Brodsky-owned team in Victoria is happening in Prince George. The economy isn't as bad as some say. I've talked to a lot of people who are no longer season ticket holders, but could easily afford them. Fans in Prince George are simply sick of Rick Brodsky.

Rumour has it that a local rich family that has been trying to buy the Cougars for years, has a blank cheque on Brodsky's desk.

I think the only realistic move for the WHL right now, is to have Swift Current or Moose Jaw move to Edmonton. The WHL will do everything and anything they can to keep their current alignment intact. I don't see Tri City going anywhere, and I don't see Chilliwack getting a team either.

Old
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
chrisj

*crosses fingers for a team in Edmonton*

Old
03-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Hordichuk_24

All the rumors I heard pointed towards Tri-City being moved to either Chilliwack, or Victoria.

Old
03-08-2005, 12:30 AM
MiketheCurler

I hope Chilliwack gets a WHL team. We got the arena to support it now, the fans are starting to show up in force to our BCHL Chiefs games. Getting over 3,000 fans for the last bit of the season.

When I heard we were in the talks to get the team, I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day at work.

Old
03-08-2005, 01:07 AM
BCCHL inactive

The only way Chilliwack and/or Victoria has a hope on a WHL team, is if Kootenay moves, and although they were in that danger at this time last year, it seems as if their attendance has improved enough to keep the Ice in Cranbrook.

Either that, or the WHL allows a move that will scrap divisional play in the Western Conference, and they don't want that.

Personally, I don't buy any rumours of Chilliwack in "WHL talks".

Old
03-08-2005, 07:59 AM
MiketheCurler

A good article on this topic.
http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-6120570c.html

Quote:
The Tri-City Americans have a decision to make by the end of this month.

A move to Edmonton. A new life in Chilliwack. A few more seasons at Three Rivers Coliseum.

A story in Friday's Vancouver Sun set the Tri-City Americans up in all three situations, and team owner/president Darryl Porter doesn't deny he's explored options outside the Tri-Cities.

"The gist of the article is accurate," Porter said from his Vancouver, British Columbia, home. "We don't know what to do right now. The Chilliwack deal is, they have a nice 3,700-seat place there and we've been talk-ing, but they aren't sure they want to, or if they have the wherewithal to do it. It's partially owned by the city and things like this have to go through council."

The Chilliwack, British Columbia, arena, Prospera Centre, seats just 3,700 fans -- which is not near the capacity for a Western Hockey League team. Prospera Centre is home to the popular Chilliwack Chiefs of the BCHL. The Chiefs' attendance is the best in the Canadian Junior Hockey League with an average of 2,700 per game.

Porter estimated that it would cost about $2 million to make the Chilliwack rink viable for a WHL team.
That's the first portion, you may need to register with them to read the whole article, it's free tho.

Last edited by MiketheCurler: 03-08-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old
03-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Pedrostallion1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
The only way Chilliwack and/or Victoria has a hope on a WHL team, is if Kootenay moves, and although they were in that danger at this time last year, it seems as if their attendance has improved enough to keep the Ice in Cranbrook.

Either that, or the WHL allows a move that will scrap divisional play in the Western Conference, and they don't want that.

Personally, I don't buy any rumours of Chilliwack in "WHL talks".

Kootenay won't be moving in the next two years as you are right, attendance is up and because of that the "release clause" goes out the window and we start fresh next year.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Chilliwack getting/not getting a team....the divisional question is the biggest concern but we would have that problem with whoever gets a team...Edmonton would screw up the central as Swift would have to move back to the East etc. etc....I do think it could be done though....possibly move Vancouver or Chilliwack to a hybrid US division...but weight the games like the league does with Kootenay in the Central so to let Chilliwack / Vancouver develop / maintain their natural BC division rivalries....I know it sucks because you don't play in your division enough...believe me....I've seen it here for the last few years and boy I wish there was some way to get back into the Central....that is where our natural rivalries exist from way back in the day.

Anyways, it's yet to be determined but I would not rule out a move but then again I wouldn't be suprised if Porter signs a lease for another 3 years.

Old
03-08-2005, 07:55 PM
ChiefsFan19

As a Chilliwack Chiefs fan I hope the Ams stay right where they are. I do not want a WHL team in Chilliwack. I don't think it would be well supported at all.

Old
03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrostallion1
Edmonton would screw up the central as Swift would have to move back to the East etc. etc....
If Swift Current moves to Edmonton, there is no need for any re-alignment. If Moose Jaw moves to Edmonton, moving Swift Current to the East Division isn't a troublesome move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrostallion1
I do think it could be done though....possibly move Vancouver or Chilliwack to a hybrid US division...but weight the games like the league does with Kootenay in the Central so to let Chilliwack / Vancouver develop / maintain their natural BC division rivalries....I know it sucks because you don't play in your division enough...believe me....I've seen it here for the last few years and boy I wish there was some way to get back into the Central....that is where our natural rivalries exist from way back in the day.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on Kootenay's natural rivalries. In my opinion, Cranbrook hasn't been in the league long enough to have a "way back in the day". Prince George is in its 11th season, and they're barely getting to that point now. The only reason the Ice play central teams more is because travel is easier for the Ice that way, rather than busing through BC's rugged highways all season like Prince George has to. Then again, PG doesn't have much of a choice due to their location.

If Chilliwack were to get a team, they'd have to be in the same division as Vancouver. To me, it's that simple. I thought their arena was bigger than 3,700 seats (some Chiefs fan on vacation came into my store and told me it was as big as the PG Multiplex, but he was obviously wrong). They'd be in a similar situation as the Ice, where a sellout, or very close to it, would be needed every game to keep the team alive.

Old
03-08-2005, 08:27 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan19
As a Chilliwack Chiefs fan I hope the Ams stay right where they are. I do not want a WHL team in Chilliwack. I don't think it would be well supported at all.
Why do you say that? It's a better product than the BCHL. Some people in Prince George (mainly die-hard Spruce Kings fans) thought the same thing of the WHL, yet for the first 6 years or so, it was rare for the Cougars to not sellout the Multiplex. Then Cougars fans became more and more familiar with owner Rick Brodsky, but that's for another topic.

Old
03-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Send a message via AIM to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via MSN to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via Yahoo to Emerald City Bruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
If Swift Current moves to Edmonton, there is no need for any re-alignment. If Moose Jaw moves to Edmonton, moving Swift Current to the East Division isn't a troublesome move.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on Kootenay's natural rivalries. In my opinion, Cranbrook hasn't been in the league long enough to have a "way back in the day". Prince George is in its 11th season, and they're barely getting to that point now. The only reason the Ice play central teams more is because travel is easier for the Ice that way, rather than busing through BC's rugged highways all season like Prince George has to. Then again, PG doesn't have much of a choice due to their location.

If Chilliwack were to get a team, they'd have to be in the same division as Vancouver. To me, it's that simple. I thought their arena was bigger than 3,700 seats (some Chiefs fan on vacation came into my store and told me it was as big as the PG Multiplex, but he was obviously wrong). They'd be in a similar situation as the Ice, where a sellout, or very close to it, would be needed every game to keep the team alive.

Spokane is as big a rival as any central team. Heck, they play the Chiefs as many times as they do teams in their own division.

Old
03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
ChiefsFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
. I thought their arena was bigger than 3,700 seats (some Chiefs fan on vacation came into my store and told me it was as big as the PG Multiplex, but he was obviously wrong). They'd be in a similar situation as the Ice, where a sellout, or very close to it, would be needed every game to keep the team alive.
From Chilliwack's website...

What will the Prospera Centre include?

The main arena has 3,500 seats and room for expansion up to 5,700 seats is required, plus standing room for 300 people.

There are also food services area and recreation-related retail space.

Old
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM
gibber1600

How about Winnipeg? PLEASE!!!

Old
03-11-2005, 11:33 PM
NorthStar

Would be nice to see Winnipeg back in the WHL, what with the new MTS Centre all set... but gonna wait and see what happens..

Old
03-12-2005, 12:15 AM
BCCHL inactive

It's tough for Winnipeg because the WHL has no expansion plans for the near future, and I'd imagine the community in Moose Jaw would do all it can to keep its team there. Realistically, the Warriors are the only team Winnipeg could get because I don't think Brandon is in much danger at all.

Apparently in the pre-game show in Prince George tonight, owner Rick Brodsky hinted at an ultimatum to fans of "buy tickets or I'll move the team". I talked to a few people at the game tonight (announced 3,044 ...my ass, there were 2,500 at best in the building), and the general attitude was that Brodsky can go right ahead and move the team if that's the attitude he wants to have. People here are sick and tired of losing. Rick Brodsky is a moron if he thinks 5,995 fans in Prince George will buy tickets 36 times every season to see a last-place team.

And for the record, the Spruce Kings (PG's Jr.A team) has sold out its first two playoff games for next weekend at the Coliseum. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2,100+ at the Coliseum is within 500, or maybe even better than what is actually at the Multiplex for the Cougars' games against Kamloops....but of course, the Cougars would never announce that.

Old
03-17-2005, 10:25 AM
MiketheCurler

There was an article in the Province today saying the move to Chilliwack is moving ahead. I know there was a city meeting and they agreed to front some money for the rennovations. What they need now is 2/3's of the teams to allow it.

Here's a link to the article :
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/thep...1-4237c5c4341e

Unfornuately you need to be registered.

Old
03-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
And for the record, the Spruce Kings (PG's Jr.A team) has sold out its first two playoff games for next weekend at the Coliseum. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2,100+ at the Coliseum is within 500, or maybe even better than what is actually at the Multiplex for the Cougars' games against Kamloops....but of course, the Cougars would never announce that.
Hopefully the Cougs sell out Friday night and give the boys a big lift.

Old
03-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Rooselk

Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
Deal Near for WHL...

...according to the Chilliwack Progress newspaper dated 3/18. Here's a link to the article: http://www.theprogress.com/

Old
03-20-2005, 01:11 AM
BCCHL inactive

Latest rumours I've heard say that the City of Chilliwack is not prepared to fork out the money to expand the new arena.

As for PG's attendance, they announced 3404 last night and 3008 tonight. I wasn't at the games, so I can't tell you approximately how many were really in the building.

The Spruce Kings attendance was recorded at 2006 last night and 2208 tonight. Both were standing room only crowds that saw the Spruce Kings take a 2-0 series lead over Salmon Arm.

Old
03-20-2005, 05:07 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
I've got it on good sources that PG's Junior A team has steadily been outdrawing the Cougars.

I've also got it on source that Chilliwack is set to take on a WHL team immediately.

Take it for what it's worth. I've had sources be both 100% correct, and completely wrong.

Personally, I expect Chilliwack to have a team.

Old
03-20-2005, 12:45 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
I've got it on good sources that PG's Junior A team has steadily been outdrawing the Cougars.
That can't happen. The Coliseum (where the Spruce Kings play) only has 1,800 seats, and they can jam just over 2,200 in there with standing room.

Being a regular at both arenas, I'd say the Cougars usually have around 2,300-2,500 actually in the building for every game (whether that's announced is another story). The Spruce Kings averaged roughly 1,200 for the regular season, but they will sellout their playoff games, as they did this weekend.

Old
03-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Rooselk

Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Latest rumours I've heard say that the City of Chilliwack is not prepared to fork out the money to expand the new arena...
To quote from the Chilliwack Progress newspaper article: "It appears Chilliwack may be as close to getting a Western Hockey League franchise as a signature on the dotted line...The news follows the decision by city council this week to commit $1.2 million to upgrade Prospera Centre, should a WHL bid be successful."

Closed Thread