O'Connell gets two BIG thumbs up in Globe

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 02:52 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
O'Connell gets two BIG thumbs up in Globe

first off, I didn't realize he hopped a flight to Toronto Monday night and met down 7:30 yesterday morning with Anton Thun the agent for Nick Boynton. If it was reported on a thread I apologize if I missed it. I'm impressed because even though its the right do MOC looked has decided he wants Boynton on this team and the best possible solution in his mind was a face to face. No guarantees but certainly worth a shot. There wasn't any "Nick can go yoddling in Switzerland for all I care (a reference Harry made back during stalled negotiations with Juneau)"; Boynton plays hard and negotiates as hard- and thats why the Broons have him. He really should be a Capital right now. But the cheapo Broons have twice managed to secure him. Meister relax- I still maintain they are a LARGE MARKET operating as a middle market- but they aren't cheap anymore. They have gone out and signed all their top prospect cept Lars Jonsson and its possible that its better he plays the year in the SEL and comes over next year.

Also, the comments leveled by O'Connell on Morrisonn are brutally honest but not nasty. No BS spin but the truth. As Broon fans we should be pleased. No Keenan head game quotes, or Dan Duquette vague answers- just and honest assessment about a player. This means when MOC talks about another prospect like Bergeron its very likely what he's seeing is exactly what he thinks- not spin; not trying to make his guys look good.

As for Morrisonn, sometimes you can't see the forest thru the trees applies here. You and I and certainly MOC and Jeff Gorton and company know that the parent injury-free team probably doesn't have room at this time for a work in process like Shaone. He may disagree; but going by what I read it sounds like Morrisson will be best served by 25 minutes a game in Providence. He also needs to play well because it certainly sounds like he has more to worry about than Jurcina and Kutlak because a monster prospect may be growing in Sweeden who may be playing in Boston next year- and Jonathan Girard you can bet will do everything humanly possible to be a top 6 guy next season. And don't bet on Tom Laidlaw scanning the rosters one more time today or tomorrow and trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Boston before Brian Berard comes back here. Just gut, but I think we see Berard playing exhibiton games as a Bruin this week.

One other thing- I was dead set against MOC being named GM; I didn't like him as a player as much as others, especially since he cost me one of my alltime favorites Al Secord; had heard less than glowing things about him as someone you can trust and thought him as nothing but Harry's puppet. That still may be all true but in my mind nothing can be further from the truth. All things considered he has made some mistakes as any GM does but he has been out front, honest from my perch, and helped develop a talent base that prospects list be damned is one of the best in hockey.

Now if we can just keep these guys

Old
10-01-2003, 04:50 AM
neelynugs

i was impressed by this as well, but it should be noted that toronto is where the GM meetings are being held, so OC had to be there. either way, i'm glad this got done, and nicky is in the lineup for the next 2 years at least.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Boston Bruno

my critical acclaim

First, I still do not like Mike Oconnell as the GM. All thought I do see "the light at the end of the tunnel" when it comes to possibly having a Goaltender of Elite future quality - and a defence which should be quite formidable. I still do not like the way in which he has managed some of the resources and current stratagy. However, having EVERYONE signed is definitly a breath of fresh air, and he should be given a good pat on the back for getting it all done. I cannot even remember the last time boston did not have ONE thorn in the line up. Infact, I am dwelling on it as I write this.. When was the last time we entered the season WITHOUT a hold out? 5 years? Wow..

anyway, Great Job by MOC to get it done - it will be even more interesting to see what happens if they were to "EXTEND" the current CBA as Boston only has Lapointe, Gill and Boynton signed into next year?
(Please correct that, as it should be of interest)

Good Job MOC. I may dislike your vision, but I do applaude your work this time around.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:56 AM
SToMper!

I think Axxy and Stock are signed for two years as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Happy with last night's win.
At this point does anyone really think we NEED Berard back?

Old
10-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Duguay

Dkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
first off, I didn't realize he hopped a flight to Toronto Monday night and met down 7:30 yesterday morning with Anton Thun the agent for Nick Boynton. If it was reported on a thread I apologize if I missed it. I'm impressed because even though its the right do MOC looked has decided he wants Boynton on this team and the best possible solution in his mind was a face to face. No guarantees but certainly worth a shot. There wasn't any "Nick can go yoddling in Switzerland for all I care (a reference Harry made back during stalled negotiations with Juneau)"; Boynton plays hard and negotiates as hard- and thats why the Broons have him. He really should be a Capital right now. But the cheapo Broons have twice managed to secure him. Meister relax- I still maintain they are a LARGE MARKET operating as a middle market- but they aren't cheap anymore. They have gone out and signed all their top prospect cept Lars Jonsson and its possible that its better he plays the year in the SEL and comes over next year.

Also, the comments leveled by O'Connell on Morrisonn are brutally honest but not nasty. No BS spin but the truth. As Broon fans we should be pleased. No Keenan head game quotes, or Dan Duquette vague answers- just and honest assessment about a player. This means when MOC talks about another prospect like Bergeron its very likely what he's seeing is exactly what he thinks- not spin; not trying to make his guys look good.

As for Morrisonn, sometimes you can't see the forest thru the trees applies here. You and I and certainly MOC and Jeff Gorton and company know that the parent injury-free team probably doesn't have room at this time for a work in process like Shaone. He may disagree; but going by what I read it sounds like Morrisson will be best served by 25 minutes a game in Providence. He also needs to play well because it certainly sounds like he has more to worry about than Jurcina and Kutlak because a monster prospect may be growing in Sweeden who may be playing in Boston next year- and Jonathan Girard you can bet will do everything humanly possible to be a top 6 guy next season. And don't bet on Tom Laidlaw scanning the rosters one more time today or tomorrow and trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Boston before Brian Berard comes back here. Just gut, but I think we see Berard playing exhibiton games as a Bruin this week.

One other thing- I was dead set against MOC being named GM; I didn't like him as a player as much as others, especially since he cost me one of my alltime favorites Al Secord; had heard less than glowing things about him as someone you can trust and thought him as nothing but Harry's puppet. That still may be all true but in my mind nothing can be further from the truth. All things considered he has made some mistakes as any GM does but he has been out front, honest from my perch, and helped develop a talent base that prospects list be damned is one of the best in hockey.

Now if we can just keep these guys

Completely respect your opinions on this, and yes, there is reason for optimism when the Bruins actually go out and sign everyone that needs to be signed (inside their own stable). But remember, these are things that solid Management teams do on a consistant basis, so we actually get a little too excited when things go as they really should in the first place.

As far as MOC the player; I liked him as a player (even though I liked Secord as well).

MOC the Manager; proof is in the pudding. If he doesn't get us into the 2nd round this year - then I want him held accountable for it. He's taken the risks and made some mistakes; which I don't mind, but he's gotta stand behind and live with em too.

Closed Thread