HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Nieuwendyk | Nieuwendyk Fired (Post #903)

Old
06-25-2010, 09:30 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 500
Fire Nieuwendyk | Nieuwendyk Fired (Post #903)

I have had it

After another piece of crap first round draft pick I am done with him. His hiring of Crawford, awful. Even the thought of trading Ribs, which now seems to be something he is forced to do, is awful. The way he has dealt with Modano, awful. His contract with Ott, awful. I know ownership is part of the problem but come on. He has set this team back even further.

Fire Nieuwendyk

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Caseman

I'm not for certain, but I am pretty sure Jackson still pulls most of the strings during the draft.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
After another piece of crap first round draft pick I am done with him.
I'm really pissed about the last two drafts now as well. I wanted Kulikov or Cowen last year, and we took Glennie. I wanted Fowler/Gormley/Forbort this year and we take Campbell. I'm with ya on this one.

Quote:
His hiring of Crawford, awful.
I don't know who else was really available, and I like the new system more than the old one. At least it's more entertaining.

Quote:
Even the thought of trading Ribs, which now seems to be something he is forced to do, is awful.
I'd rather trade Ribs and keep Richards than lose Richards and keep Ribs, so we'll see what happens.

Quote:
The way he has dealt with Modano, awful.
What do you mean? Are you talking about how he isn't going to resign him just because he's Modano?

Quote:
His contract with Ott, awful.
I agree that Ott is being overpaid, but if he's actually used in the Top 6, he's shown he can be effective. If he's still going to be stuck on the 3rd line, then it definitely is waaaaaaay too much.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
vofty

But Steven Ott has the ever important truculence, which is one of those things Joe learned from Mr. Burke.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
But Steven Ott has the ever important truculence, which is one of those things Joe learned from Mr. Burke.
I'm guessing your buzz has officially been killed.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:38 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
I'm guessing your buzz has officially been killed.
you would be correct sir

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Les Jackson runs the draft. So that's who you want to blame for the past two drafts. But with the quality players this team has drafted under Jackson, I'll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt on picking Campbell.

Sure the organization needed defensemen more, and I was kind of worried/sick when Anaheim, Phoenix, and Los Angeles grabbed those three defensemen, but I have faith in the scouting department.

Quote:
I don't know who else was really available, and I like the new system more than the old one. At least it's more entertaining.
Peter Laviotte was available. I don't know who else, but I know he was as I hoped he would get the nod.

Quote:
Even the thought of trading Ribs, which now seems to be something he is forced to do, is awful. The way he has dealt with Modano, awful.
I have to admit though I hate, HATE, the idea of trading Ribeiro. I'd sooner want Richards traded. The offense will be awful without Ribeiro.

There is no way they let Modano sign with another team. They have to know that it would be a horrible decision in the backlash that it would create.

Even if management likes Benn at center, the team wouldn't be that bad off to have him playing wing while Modano plays 3rd line center. But then they did try to force the team into a lineup that the roster isn't suited for a month (or two?) into the season (ie 4th line of Sutherby/Wandell/Brunnstrom to Barch/Petersen/whoever).

Better to throw out a 4th line with talent and lessen the minutes of the top guys like at the beginning of the season, than to have a 4th line of scrubs and press-box filler.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:00 AM
aisforaaron83

The Org thinks Campbell can truly be a stud in net in a couple of years. I know what was on the board, but it is difficult to argue with the stars when it comes to goalie picks. be patient and lets see what happens before we start calling for someone's head.

I wanted Gormley, but I am not disappointed about Campbell.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:35 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
Peter Laviolette was available and look where he took Philly. He probably wouldn't have helped much with our defensively depleted and offensively mediocre corps, but I'd have taken his recent cup-winning experience over Crawford's, which was 14 years ago.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I kind of rolled my eyes when I first saw this thread. I mean, if anything it should be "Fire Bernhardt", or "Fire Jackson", right? The all-star draft team that's given us Sacchetti, Beskorowany, Glennie, and Campbell as our pathetic collection of first picks the past 4 years is nearing the end of their rope. But the more I thought about it, Nieuwendyk absolutely should not escape criticism.

What is the GM's role in this process? To be a rubber stamp and say a couple of hurried words into the microphone? I'd hope not. It's Nieuwendyk's responsibility to make sure his head scout doesn't fall in love with a certain player to the extent that he develops blinders to the rest of the draftees and the organization's blatantly obvious needs.

Joe's body language, and for that matter the entire front office's, seemed awfully cavalier last night when they finally got up on the stage. That sure didn't look like a group that just had to make a tough, agonizing decision over 2 skilled defensemen that were improbably falling into their lap. It looked they had their guy, Campbell, and gifts from the gods be damned, they were sticking to the gameplan.

The thing that's still getting me here is that even if they're somehow right, and Campbell IS the 3rd best player in this draft, a real franchise player, and defies all the recent trends of highly-picked goalies busting, WE'RE STILL SCREWED. A first round star goalie with a big-time pedigree is going to end up getting paid like one. And we're going to be right back in the same damn position of spending way too much on goaltending where we should be going relatively cheap. Team after team has proven that you don't need a franchise goalie to win. You sure as hell need defensemen that can move the puck though.

Ultimately, the indelible image that I'll remember from this draft won't be of our new pick pulling on a Stars jersey for the first time. No -- it'll be of Ducks' GM Bob Murray, with that ****-eating grin plastered all over his face, incredulous at his good fortune and at the staggering ineptitude of the clubs that came before.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The all-star draft team that's given us Sacchetti, Beskorowany, Glennie, and Campbell as our pathetic collection of first picks the past 4 years is nearing the end of their rope.
Still way too soon to give any judgement on how good the picks of Besko and Glennie are. The most recent you can actually judge would be Vishnevskiy, which is not looking good right now with his inability to crack an NHL roster.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Team after team has proven that you don't need a franchise goalie to win. You sure as hell need defensemen that can move the puck though.
Right on the money.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I kind of rolled my eyes when I first saw this thread. I mean, if anything it should be "Fire Bernhardt", or "Fire Jackson", right? The all-star draft team that's given us Sacchetti, Beskorowany, Glennie, and Campbell as our pathetic collection of first picks the past 4 years is nearing the end of their rope. But the more I thought about it, Nieuwendyk absolutely should not escape criticism.

What is the GM's role in this process? To be a rubber stamp and say a couple of hurried words into the microphone? I'd hope not. It's Nieuwendyk's responsibility to make sure his head scout doesn't fall in love with a certain player to the extent that he develops blinders to the rest of the draftees and the organization's blatantly obvious needs.

Joe's body language, and for that matter the entire front office's, seemed awfully cavalier last night when they finally got up on the stage. That sure didn't look like a group that just had to make a tough, agonizing decision over 2 skilled defensemen that were improbably falling into their lap. It looked they had their guy, Campbell, and gifts from the gods be damned, they were sticking to the gameplan.

The thing that's still getting me here is that even if they're somehow right, and Campbell IS the 3rd best player in this draft, a real franchise player, and defies all the recent trends of highly-picked goalies busting, WE'RE STILL SCREWED. A first round star goalie with a big-time pedigree is going to end up getting paid like one. And we're going to be right back in the same damn position of spending way too much on goaltending where we should be going relatively cheap. Team after team has proven that you don't need a franchise goalie to win. You sure as hell need defensemen that can move the puck though.

Ultimately, the indelible image that I'll remember from this draft won't be of our new pick pulling on a Stars jersey for the first time. No -- it'll be of Ducks' GM Bob Murray, with that ****-eating grin plastered all over his face, incredulous at his good fortune and at the staggering ineptitude of the clubs that came before.
Ok, first off I come in peace. Seeing a lot of the posts here and this one in particular I wonder if any Dallas STH have asked your management team what they do to prepare for the draft.

Lombardi and his team take great pains to explain to the fans exactly what their process is from how they scout (they watch video, they see the kid play live, they meet the kid and his family). Then after all that is done for all the potentials on their list they run several mock drafts with different scenarios so when draft day comes they can move fast and act according to the plan, because likely they have already run the scenario that is happening at the draft.

Lombardi was going to actually trade #19 to move down yesterday, but as Forbort continued to fall he quickly switched to an alternate plan to move up and get his man. He says the Kings scouting staff had Forbort ranked in the top 10.

You guys spend a lot of money on tickets. The GM should be willing to explain the process to you.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:14 PM
RalphHouzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Ok, first off I come in peace. Seeing a lot of the posts here and this one in particular I wonder if any Dallas STH have asked your management team what they do to prepare for the draft.

Lombardi and his team take great pains to explain to the fans exactly what their process is from how they scout (they watch video, they see the kid play live, they meet the kid and his family). Then after all that is done for all the potentials on their list they run several mock drafts with different scenarios so when draft day comes they can move fast and act according to the plan, because likely they have already run the scenario that is happening at the draft.

Lombardi was going to actually trade #19 to move down yesterday, but as Forbort continued to fall he quickly switched to an alternate plan to move up and get his man. He says the Kings scouting staff had Forbort ranked in the top 10.

You guys spend a lot of money on tickets. The GM should be willing to explain the process to you.
They say BPA. Maybe if we pay more they'll tell us their board before the draft. Did you think they traded up for Forbort because they didn't want him?

RalphHouzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:29 PM
txomisc

NortonSports

BIG news coming tomorrow for client Krys Barch of the @DallasStars! #dallasstars
43 minutes ago via web
fire nieuwendyk

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:00 AM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Nieuwendyk's list of accomplishments

Firing Tippett
Re-signing Fistric to a three year deal, rather then to a one or two year deal.
Eriksson's extension
Getting rid of Turco.

I can't think of anything else he did good, I guess Lehtonen can be on the good list if he can stay healthy.

Negatives
$2.95 million and a NTC for Ott
$825k and $850k for Barch.
$3.3 million for Robidas and a NTC

What else on the negatives?

Last edited by ________: 06-29-2010 at 01:44 AM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:07 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Letting Zubov go
Hiring Crawford
Signing Skrastins
Signing Woywitka
Nuking IV's confidence
Failing to recognize that the team should sell/failing to accrue draft picks
Re-signing Petersen
Not overriding the scouts on Campbell
Signing Burish
Trying to trade Ribeiro.... the jury's still out here... if he blows it completely I'm joining this bandwagon... he's still got some cachet with me for cutting ties with Turco

Add claiming Segal to the positives I guess

More positives: Hiring Desjardins, Signing Lukowich

Last edited by piqued: 07-15-2010 at 11:55 PM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Wait... Ott got a NTC?!

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Am definitely a bad trade away from jumping on the bandwagon. Of all people I would think that most fans (at least on this board) were looking to part ways with, Barch was at the top. What a ridiculously stupid signing.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:42 AM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Ott has a NTC yes, but it's for the first season, weird I know but it's a NTC regardless.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:57 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Steven Ott's NTC is insignificant. I don't envision many teams lining up to trade for a player of his pedigree at that price.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:11 AM
jacksongs

This signing indicates that the internal spending cap will be lifted imminently. Great news! There simply cannot be another explanation.

jacksongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I can't help but just laugh at that deal, another reason Joe needs to be gone.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Ub the Bub

Quote:
Signing Skrastins
These are not negatives. So Skrastins wasn't awesome, but no one expected him to be, he's a solid squad player and has delivered as such of him... But regarding Campbell, the more I think about it the more I like it...
Not ready to throw Crawford under the bus quite yet either and the Petersen signing... Well atleast it wasn't as bad as Barch... Petersen I can live with, he occasionally mixes things up atleast... Barch however... Ugh... Makes me sick...

I'm still gonna give him some time to "fix" this... But I'm keeping my torch nearby by, just in case...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Re-signing Petersen
Trying to trade Ribeiro.... the jury's still out here... if he blows it completely I'm joining this bandwagon... he's still got some cachet
Re-signing Petersen isn't bad as he makes a decent 13th forward. However Barch being re-signed does make it bad.

It's still too early to judge on the Campbell pick, because realistically you just don't know how good a team did in a draft until about five years after the fact. But the draft looks solid so far as the team got a player with franchise potential and two defensemen to fill out the part of the prospect pool that was getting thin.

I'm only joining this bandwagon if Ribeiro is traded, and Modano signs to play with another team.