HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers-Canucks Gameday Thread Sept.30/03

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
itsmagic, your avatar looks like something out of fireball xl-5, what's that from?

One thing Morley mentioned that was interesting is that almost all of the offense created came from Hemsky, Isbister or Salmelainen. We should probably add Bergeron to that list.

What ARE they going to do about Salmelainen?

Old
09-30-2003, 07:38 PM
OYLer

SH! IT CONTINUES! Out shot 39 to 10. Tommy Salo should have been 1st Star.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:39 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
anyone know if the oilers plan to make cuts after the game?
See post #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by [i
Mizral[/i]]Kevin Pedergast (spelling?) is on the pre-game Canucks radio show. Rundown of his thoughts of the Oilers camp:

- Down to 27 players. Going to keep all 27 until the end of the exhibition schedule.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:50 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Mr. Burns?
I was actually thinking of "Slick, doctor of Style", from the olden-days WWF.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:57 PM
itsmagic

lowetide, the avatar is of Professor Rudolph Popkiss from "Supercar"... a show that predated "Fireball XL5" (I wish I were a spaceman...) from the same production team. My hairline is somewhat similar.

As to what they are going to do about Salmelainen, well, I got the pleasure of seeing him skate in the first exhibition game from row one in the Saddledome. That boy can fly! I'd love to see Lowe and MacT keep him up for the big show.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:02 PM
OYLer

Tired of losing!!!!!!

So while some are into adornment I wonder why Ethan Moreau is -2 again. Maybe security leads to complacency and a trade will solve that big time.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:06 PM
FacelessButcher

so Bergeron upped his value again this game and Luomo lowered his again so is it a fair assesment Bergie is a lock for opening night?
Salmelainen played well second game in a row improving his value and Rita's bad pass lowered his value to MacT who hates those kind of mistakes I wonder who's gonna get cut out of the two?

2nd line?:
Salmelainen-York-Dvorak

Old
09-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
So while some are into adornment I wonder why Ethan Moreau is -2 again. Maybe security leads to complacency and a trade will solve that big time.
The coaches are really happy with Salmo. He started camp with an injury but has worked hard and seems very determined to play in the bigs this year. He should have the advantage over Rita because he's a RW and not a LW. Also, he's simply played better the last few games. Rita got an assist tonight (secondary). I think they and Stoll will remain for the last few games. Sarno and Wright, Luoma and Allen, and Valiquette are done IMO. That would leave 24 players for 23 spots (not including Comrie).

Old
09-30-2003, 08:30 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

From yahoo post game report:

Vancouver tied the game during a stretch of nine-straight Edmonton penalties to start the second period. Those calls left Oilers GM Kevin Lowe tossing paper out of his upper-level suite at GM Place.

Did K-Lowe really do that? Throwing gum at Tyson Nash, MacT ripping mascot's tongues off, the Oilers management really do coach like they used to play.
BTW, sounds like Salo played a really solid game tonight.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
From yahoo post game report:

Vancouver tied the game during a stretch of nine-straight Edmonton penalties to start the second period. Those calls left Oilers GM Kevin Lowe tossing paper out of his upper-level suite at GM Place.

Did K-Lowe really do that? Throwing gum at Tyson Nash, MacT ripping mascot's tongues off, the Oilers management really do coach like they used to play.
BTW, sounds like Salo played a really solid game tonight.
Uhm...wouldn't Kevin Lowe be in Toronto for the GM meetings?

Old
09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Dangerdanger

well, I just got back from the game here in van city, sure does suck losing in vancouver when surrounded by canucks fans

Heres a few thoughts on the players though

Salo played fantastically, made some great diving saves, still flopping around a lot but seems to be hanging in there. I noticed he still has the same problem as last year though. He seems to have a lot of trouble with the hard slapshots, i can think of a few zubov goals that he could see clearly from the point. Maybe we should just have semenov sit there and take slapshots on him all practice.

Hemsky really wasnt all that great tonight, his passes kept hitting sticks although he did make a couple nice passes that no one could get a stick on. He had a ton of ice time

York looked pretty good, he was flying out there but didnt really get too many great chances. He also played a ton.

Sarno was all but invisible. He lost his check on the second canucks goal by chasing him around the net and leaving king open in front of the net for the easy tip in.

Stoll had a great game playing tons of time on the Penalty Kill, winning some key faceoffs and such. Im pretty sure he'll get the spot over sarno.

Salmelainen was also flying, he backchecks pretty well, and got a nice goal.

Isbister was alright, made a nice move to the front of the net for the first goal, but kind of disappeared after that.

Semenov manhandled quite a few guys, got called on it once or twice, but was pretty decent overall i thought.

I think bergy won the spot over Luoma tonight, an assist plus a nice goal, although cloutier really should have had it. He got easily outmuscled by bertuzzi in the first but who doesnt. He wasnt a problem on defense, ill be happy to have him out there instead of ferguson when it comes down to it.

I thought Rita was working pretty hard out there, but he just didnt seem to get any bounces. Its a tough call between him and salmelainen. It seems like Salmo keeps burying his chance, making things tough on Rita.

The penalties in this game were ridiculous, Ruutu pissed Jason SMith off quite a bit causing smith to facewash him and get the 4 min in the second to start the string of penalties. If it wasnt preseason i wouldnt want to see that, but i hate jarkko so it was pretty good. Smith also had a great check on ruutu in the third, i love seeing that.

Anyways, hopefully next time they come to town i get beat up.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
Stoll had a great game playing tons of time on the Penalty Kill, winning some key faceoffs and such. Im pretty sure he'll get the spot over sarno.
Some faceoff stats:

York: 11 of 18
Reasoner: 11 of 21
Sarno: 5 of 9
Stoll: 11 of 22

Nice to see York doing well in the dot for a 2nd consecutive game. The wrist must be improving.

Sarno only had 6:14 of ice time...that's Laraquesque. He may as well have stayed in the dressing room. All those Oiler penalties sure didn't help, but in 9:48 of Oiler PP time he got exactly 6 seconds worth of participation in it. Not a good sign for him.

On a side note, Bergeron got more than twice as much PP time (5:28) as Luoma (2:30).

Old
10-01-2003, 04:45 AM
Yanner39

Brownlee said Isbsiter was "lights out"...I've never heard this expression...Is it good or bad...Was he knocked out or did he shoot out the lights? What the hell doe that mean...

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...0-01-0091.html

Old
10-01-2003, 04:54 AM
dukeforrest

Send a message via Yahoo to dukeforrest
Lights out

I would venture that 'lights out' means either played so brilliantly that he blew out the lights or you could have seen him without the lights. I'm probably wrong, but I know it has a positive connotation.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:19 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
Uhm...wouldn't Kevin Lowe be in Toronto for the GM meetings?
Nah, he and Burke flew back together for the game.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:03 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmagic
4-2 Canucks

Did anything good come out of this? I know it's still preseason...
I think nothing came out of this game...For Canucks fans, I'm sure they are glad their team one just like I would have been happy if the Oilers would have one...

But how the hell can the coaching staff and management evaluate the players when there is no flow, some players are sitting for long stretches at a time because of special teams...Rob Schick has got to be in my opinion one of the worst refs I've ever seen and it'snot just for last night's game...Every time I watch a game and he refs, I just shake my head...Terrible...

One wasted pre-season game...

Old
10-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I think nothing came out of this game...For Canucks fans, I'm sure they are glad their team one just like I would have been happy if the Oilers would have one...

But how the hell can the coaching staff and management evaluate the players when there is no flow, some players are sitting for long stretches at a time because of special teams...Rob Schick has got to be in my opinion one of the worst refs I've ever seen and it'snot just for last night's game...Every time I watch a game and he refs, I just shake my head...Terrible...

One wasted pre-season game...
Agreed on Schick & the game. Zero flow, hard to find out how the teams were playing.

For us, Henrik Sedin played brilliantly, as did Jason King & Sami Salo.

For you guys, it sounded like Tommy Salo had a fine game outside of a HORRIBLE rebound which he kicked right to Mike Keane's stick. It sounded like Laraque was involved, which is nice to see, and Salmelinnian came out guns blazing - I hope he wins a spot ahead of Rita, I like this guy! Semenov also had another solid game, which sounds awesome.

Closed Thread