HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, 25th Overall to FLA for Ballard, Oreskovich

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
Well, I think it's a risky assumption to say he'll score at the NHL level. He's shown me some great moments, no doubt, but I really don't know if he can score consistently.

I think something that has not been mentioned thus far is that Gillis clearly is not high on Grabner. There's no way he could do this deal if he thought Grabner was as good as some of you claim. Plus, we have no room for Grabner next year.
He scored 5 goals in 20 games played, not bad for a small rookie not playing many minutes on a third line =/

I expect him to get better as he gets older. I think he can be a 20-goal scorer.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Impact defenseman aren't cheap, and if you don't think this guy's impact you don't remember what a freaking pain in the ass he was to play against when he was with the Coyotes. Sure, he had a relative 'down year' by his standards, but outside of that one year he's been a consistent impact top-pairing defenseman.

Old
Laus723
Future Now

You guys will like Ballard, a lot. He's solid defensively, can keep up with a rush, does a good job getting back, and has an incredible hip check. I'm going to miss him.

Oreskovich is a bottom line player who took off on the Avs but caught the bug again and talked to his old coach DeBoer. He earned a contract last off-season, and did well early on, but tailed off as the season went on. He's a physical player when on his game, but the question is how long will he want to play. You'll like him when he rolls out to do play.

Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Unfortunately, I'd think that if we still had that 2nd, it would have been moved for Ballard instead of the 1st.
Yeah, 25th overall versus 55th overall. Florida probably wouldn't have even blinked an eye.

Great ideas dude.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's delusional. Shirokov actually made the the team out of training camp and failed miserably when the games started to matter. Hodgson has not only failed to make the team 2 years running, he now has what is likely a chronic injury situation.

Grabner has *actually* scored at the NHL level and *actually* showed something in games that matter.

We just gave away a first round pick and a top prospect for a second-rate defenseman. Is Gillis now that desperate, or has the past two years of "restocking the cupboard" yapping just been more of the same ******** we've gotten from pretty much every Canuck GM?
Grabner has failed to make the team for 4 years and has only played 66 and 58 games the last 2 seasons.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
A need was filled. Grabner, BernYAY and the 25th was not a need.
Our top scorers are aging, and entering their final peak years. Without Grabner, we have nobody coming up as a potential replacement - he absolutely fills a need. Never mind that we need *two* such guys just to stand still.

IMO this is a total sellout of the future of the franchise to win now, which I could be OK with, only it's for a player that simply, factually is not a difference-maker.

You are, of course, entitled to your own IMOs.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Scouter

vCash: 50
So, did the nucks get screwed in this deal, did Gillis give up too much, maybe, but I think that Florida totally bungled their pick with Howden, so they have already maybe screwed up part of it for them, how good is Ballard really, is he a top D man.

Last edited by Scouter: 06-25-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

This kid can hit

also from the tribute videos, he loves to hipcheck

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
So, did the nucks get screwed in this deal, did Gillis give up too much, I think so, how good is Ballard really, is he a top D man.
No, he's not a "top D man".

This trade is going to bite us in the ass, but hard.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Think about how Ballard is going to explode on this team. He's never played on anything but horrible or mediocre teams before. Putting a player with his talent in all three zones on an offensive power house like this is going to produce an Ehrhoff like renaissance. Also Ballard brings a nice physical in your face element to our back end. I personally love this deal and don't see how anyone can see it as a negative. I'm a little upset that we gave up our first, but there was no obvious choice there at #25.

I'm really happy GM MG is our guy. What he's been doing and what he's been saying is in line with what I think a lot of us feel is the right direction for this team.

Old
GCM
Stork

Quote:
That's delusional. Shirokov actually made the the team out of training camp and failed miserably when the games started to matter. Hodgson has not only failed to make the team 2 years running, he now has what is likely a chronic injury situation.

Grabner has *actually* scored at the NHL level and *actually* showed something in games that matter.

We just gave away a first round pick and a top prospect for a second-rate defenseman. Is Gillis now that desperate, or has the past two years of "restocking the cupboard" yapping just been more of the same ******** we've gotten from pretty much every Canuck GM?
It's way more speculative to be calling Hodgson a bust than it is calling Keith a future #1 d-man.

Hodgson had some badly timed injuries, it's nothing more than that.

Shirokov is young. It's not like Grabner buried him in goals. Grabner scored 5 goals. Shirokov still needs some time but definitely has promise.

Plus people are ignoring our top-six.

With all the people offering up Raymond I'm surprised so many are so high on Grabner. Raymond is better now than Grabner will amount to, most likely. And Raymond's still getting better.

What's the point in "restocking the cupboard" with a bunch of picks when we're a cup contending team right now? You restock when you're rebuilding, the Canucks are making a push, we could use this.

that isn't to say "throw away all picks" but we're hardly damaged by losing the first pick when our farm team is looking pretty great.

Not to mention Gillis can still obtain picks, most likely by trading Bieksa to the Sharks as a salary dump.

Old
tantalum

I suppose it's fine people don't like the move. at least it's a move to address a known issue with the team rather than having a GM that fails to even act to address a weekness for a couple of off seasons.

Old
Jobal

Quote:

You have got to be kidding me. You're holding it against Hodgson for not making the team right out of the draft? How has Grabner *actually* scored at the NHL level? His 5 goals in the regular season impressed you? Grabner is not a top prospect. He's a second-rate prospect who might make it as a second-liner. Grabner was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, too.

On Hodgson: It's amazing how one serious injury is now classified as "chronic". Give the kid a chance before you label him as a bust, okay? Shirokov: same story. Rookie in the AHL, played okay, and you call him a bust, too. Grabner's had years in the AHL and he's never been a star.

No sane scout would take Grabner over Hodgson.

Old
serge2k

Quote:
Our top scorers are aging, and entering their final peak years. Without Grabner, we have nobody coming up as a potential replacement - he absolutely fills a need. Never mind that we need *two* such guys just to stand still.

IMO this is a total sellout of the future of the franchise to win now, which I could be OK with, only it's for a player that simply, factually is not a difference-maker.

You are, of course, entitled to your own IMOs.
well Raymond and Kesler aren't old.

Hodgson and Schroeder are still better prospects than Kesler.

and I know you don't care because you are just trolling the same way you always do.... Ignored.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:10 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:

I think seeing Schroeder excel in his limited AHL time combined with Shirokovs more-than-solid 1st year in the AHL made Grabner expendable. Grabners been around for a few years no and while he has some tools he hasn't been able to consistently put it together... AND, he wasn't a Gillis pick.

Ad that to the relatively strong playoffs Grabner had and you had all the makings of a tradeable asset...

Again, I'll be much happier seeing Shroeder and Hodgson make the team than having Grabner. I wish him all the luck in Florida....

Old
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

sgorten

FLA GM Dale Tallon says there were about 10 teams he had serious discussions with about D Keith Ballard: "He was in big demand."

Old
solitary

So much for moneypuck.

As much as I dislike giving away picks... Ballard is a solid defenseman though, I hope we move Bieksa for a 2nd rounder.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
I think seeing Shroeder excel in his limited AHL time combined with Shirokovs more-than-solid 1st year in the AHL made Grabner expendable.
While I think that goes well beyond "optimism", I still hope you're right!

Anyway, it's done, onwards and upwards....

Old
06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Seriously... how is giving up a inconsistent third liner, a salary dump (both of whom were redundant on this team) and a 25th pick to acquire a defenseman who's arguably better than any potential UFA defensemen a bad thing?

Old
Laus723
Future Now

Old
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
So much for moneypuck.
Yup, young top 4 dman on a good contract. Stupid pickup.

I like how the same people who are whining about Ballard would probably be thrilled with Volchenkov for 5.5 million.

Old
solitary

It will be interesting to see how Grabner plays next season, Bernier too. Quinton Howden, meh kid doesn't impress me.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:14 PM
The Pucks

Gillis spent allot of time watching Chicago's more skilled defence dominate playoff games. He deceided he wanted a bit of that for Vancouver.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Yup, young top 4 dman on a good contract. Stupid pickup.

I like how the same people who are whining about Ballard would probably be thrilled with Volchenkov for 5.5 million.
Amen

Old
06-25-2010, 11:16 PM
CloutierForVezina

I honestly don't know how people can NOT love this trade.

Steve Bernier was a salary dump. He was the team's whipping boy and had way too big of a cap hit for what he did. He certainly wasn't useless, but he is a 1.2-1.4 million player, not a 2 million dollar player.

Michael Grabner was an average forward prospect. Honestly, how much value do you guys think a 1st round pick from from 2006 who has only managed to play 29 games in 4 years has? The guy is definitely an alright hockey player but he had absolutely no place on this team. He wasn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6 and he wasn't good enough offensively to push Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond or Sammy out of the top 6. He would be at best relegated to the role of top 6 injury call up.

The first round pick is the only true unknown in this trade. I'm not too worried about losing a 25th overall pick. At the very best the pick will turn into a Keith Ballard level of player... in 3 years.

Mike Gillis identified a team weakness (Defensive defensemen) and used non-core pieces to fill it beautifully. I honestly don't know how you could dislike this trade. This was exactly the kind of move that the Canucks needed.

Closed Thread