HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, 25th Overall to FLA for Ballard, Oreskovich

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Yup, young top 4 dman...
28 is not "young". Top 4 on a crap team.

Quote:
Stupid pickup.
Agreed.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
If Ballard whacks Lu in the head the nucks lose this deal. heh

Old
06-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Meganuck*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
He played 50 NHL games for the Panthers last season and the Canucks need to replace Bernier's size - this guy does that.
I dont see this guy being a regular. I hope I'm wrong.

Old
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Also let's not forget Ballard is 28, signed to a very reasonable contract for the next five years, and has only missed 13 games in five years and hasn't missed a game in the last three.

A lot of you people make me

Old
Lundface

vCash: 50
Bernier had a terrible season, but I am of the opinion that a lot of that had to do with his injury. He had a good start, and then started to tail off. He isn't much of a scorer at the NHL level, but he is a good hitter who could still end up scoring 20.

Grabner was on the verge of breaking out in my opinion. Not sure why so many people are devaluing him now that he's gone, but the guy did exactly as management told him. Mainly, he bulked up and learned the defensive side of the game. We have one of the deepest offences in the league and he did not look out of place at all on Keslers wing. He creates chances, takes tons of shots, and has shown his shot is quite heavy. The thing I liked about him most is his ability to steal pucks and his ability to put guys under pressure in a hurry, causing turnovers. Grabner has elite speed and good puck handling. All the kid needed was some consistency and better shot accuracy. I for one was very excited to see him next season, and will follow him closely in Florida.

I doubt he will amount to what he could have if he stayed here ( better environment) but I still have high hopes for him.

The first we traded was also very good value, and there were plenty of guys available at that spot. I was really hoping that the pick was moved to a 2011 first rounder, as that would have balanced this trade out, but I guess the guy we wanted wasn't there.

This is one of those trades where time will tell. I believe Bernier is a better asset than Oreskovich. As it stands we win this trade, as Grabner is a 2/3rd line tweener. But if Grabner becomes a player similar to Raymond and Howden becomes a top 6 forward as he is projected, we definately lose this trade.

I personally do not like this trade, as I believe Grabner has a very bright future and the players available at 25 also had good potential. While I know Ballard is good, I also feel people are over valuing him here. He is a 3/4 type defenceman on a good team, and will join Edler and Salo in that category. We gave up some good assets and we still lack a number 1 defencemen.

The only way I will be happy with this trade is if we sign Paul Martin, and Bieksa is traded. Seeing what Ballard got, Bieksa should be able to fetch a decent return ( obviously less).

Going into next season with :

Martin Ehrhoff
Ballard Edler
Salo O'Brien/Rome

And Bieksa traded for either a young roster player or a high draft pick. That would make this offseason a success.

For now I'm going to think of this trade as Ballard + Ehrhoff for White, Rahimi, Grabner, 1st and Bernier

Old
06-25-2010, 10:19 PM
solitary

Ballard is a solid defenseman, and I am thrilled we have picked him up. He is at a very reasonable contract for a nice length of time.

Dumping Bernier was great, but giving up Grabner was in fact a hit on the moneyball philosophy. Of course in order to get some you have to give some. I would have liked to see someone else dealt instead of Grabner but you work with the assets you have.

Good move overall -- will be fun to look at this in hindsight.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Not sure why so many people are devaluing him now that he's gone...
It's HF - same people exalting him yesterday are now sheepling that he was irrelevant.

And on it goes, this thing of ours...

Old
06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
petrishriekandgo

Maybe our kid line will be:

Schroeder - Hodgson - Oreskovich

That mirrors (at least in potential and physical makeup) Chicago's uber successful Kane - Towes - Big-Ugly-One line pretty well.

Again... way to early to even speculate but IF it worked I would be thrilled to have that be our 3rd line next year.

Speed, skill, size... nice.

Old
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
At least we know Raymond isn't going anywhere. I was not liking the prospects of losing him and replacing him with Grabner.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Ballard but my first reaction was that it was a very fair trade for both sides.

Old
kalel04

not getting back another pick in this deal is unacceptable
- oreskovic mightve been a regular on florida, but really?

Old
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Kid Canuck*

Lookin good for July 1!!!!!! Lots of money!

Old
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Again, you guys will like Bally a lot, and if Oreskovich shows up with a mindset to play, you'll like him, too. Both guys love the big hits!

06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Dado would complain about a Crosby for future considerations trade.
I can see it now:

"Stupid move by Gillis, absolutely horendous. We took on an over the hill player making way too much and now we won't be able to give our prospects minor raises in a few years. Terrible, terrible move."

Old
06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
28 is not "young".
It's not old though, either. He's just hitting his prime now.

You guys are crazy.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Again, you guys will like Bally a lot, and if Oreskovich shows up with a mindset to play, you'll like him, too. Both guys love the big hits!
You guys will hate Bernier.

And Possibly really like Grabner. And that 1st is a 1st.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Personal attacks? grow up.
Indeed.

I didn't get to read all the posts - what's your take on the deal, Mega? Thumbs up, down, or wait-and-see?

Old
06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Ballard looked like a star in the making in his rookie season in 05/06. He is a solid top 4 defenceman, cant complain here. Gillis isnt done.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thanks for all of the info. The fact that a lot of people are angry about giving up Grabner just goes to show how much potential he has for you guys.

Steve Bernier, on the other hand...

Old
06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
I honestly don't know how people can NOT love this trade.

Steve Bernier was a salary dump. He was the team's whipping boy and had way too big of a cap hit for what he did. He certainly wasn't useless, but he is a 1.2-1.4 million player, not a 2 million dollar player.

Michael Grabner was an average forward prospect. Honestly, how much value do you guys think a 1st round pick from from 2006 who has only managed to play 29 games in 4 years has? The guy is definitely an alright hockey player but he had absolutely no place on this team. He wasn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6 and he wasn't good enough offensively to push Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond or Sammy out of the top 6. He would be at best relegated to the role of top 6 injury call up.

The first round pick is the only true unknown in this trade. I'm not too worried about losing a 25th overall pick. At the very best the pick will turn into a Keith Ballard level of player... in 3 years.

Mike Gillis identified a team weakness (Defensive defensemen) and used non-core pieces to fill it beautifully. I honestly don't know how you could dislike this trade. This was exactly the kind of move that the Canucks needed.
I disagree with the bold statement. Grabner looked great with Ray and Kes; fastest line in the NHL right there. Aaaaaaaaand, Grabs was finally learning to defend. He made some great takeaways on the backcheck and in the corners...but anyway, he's gone. I'm sad to see him go just when he's finally looking like an NHL player, but hey, we need a dman more than another forward.

Old
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Also let's not forget Ballard is 28, signed to a very reasonable contract for the next five years, and has only missed 13 games in five years and hasn't missed a game in the last three.

A lot of you people make me
Lets not forget that Grabner ain't no 3rd liner either, and the nucks could have gotten a good player at 25.

Old
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Indeed.

I didn't get to read all the posts - what's your take on the deal, Mega? Thumbs up, down, or wait-and-see?
Personally, I'm giving it a thumbs down and I'm getting flamed to death here. I'm only replying to people i have regular discussion.

Is it a similar comparison that Sbisa, Lupul, 2-1sts get traded for Pronger?

Old
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Oreskovich projects to be a third liner, at most, and the Nucks already have plenty of defensemen, unless I'm missing something. This is just a head scratching type move and it seems FLA won this trade.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Thanks for all of the info. The fact that a lot of people are angry about giving up Grabner just goes to show how much potential he has for you guys.

Steve Bernier, on the other hand...
Welcome, and thanks! I wasn't much happy when it looked like it was just the 1st and Bernier, but I trust Tallon. Was really happy when they said Grabs was coming, too.

Bernier is likely a big body for the 4th line, dunno much about him, though. Have seen a few things since the trade, guess I'll have to wait and see.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Dunzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Personally, I'm giving it a thumbs down and I'm getting flamed to death here. I'm only replying to people i have regular discussion.

Is it a similar comparison that Sbisa, Lupul, 2-1sts get traded for Pronger?
it is nowhere near that, on either side of the deal

Old
06-25-2010, 10:29 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

You guys should check out the highlights on canucks.com right now.

If those don't get you pumped up about Ballard I don't know what to tell you.